Combined pH-Metry/Impedance Monitoring Increases the Diagnostic Yield in Patients with Atypical Gastroesophageal Reflux SymptomsBajbouj M. · Becker V. · Neuber M. · Schmid R.M. · Meining A.
II. Medizinische Klinik und Poliklinik, Klinikum Rechts der Isar, Technische Universität München, München, Germany
Do you have an account?
- Rent for 48h to view
- Buy Cloud Access for unlimited viewing via different devices
- Synchronizing in the ReadCube Cloud
- Printing and saving restrictions apply
Rental: USD 8.50
Cloud: USD 20.00
Article / Publication Details
Background: Globus sensations, hoarseness and chronic cough are suggested to be atypical manifestations of Gastroesophageal Reflux Disease (GERD). The aim of the study was to investigate whether combined pH-metry and multichannel intraluminal impedance monitoring increases the diagnostic yield. Methods: 41 patients with atypical GERD symptoms were included in the study. Globus sensation was the dominant symptom in 23 patients (56.1%). The remaining 18 patients (43.9%) complained mainly about hoarseness or chronic cough. All patients were examined by endoscopy, dual-channel pH-metry and impedance monitoring off-therapy with proton pump inhibitors (PPI). Diagnostic yield of the respective method was determined. Results: A total of 26 patients (63.4%) had pathological findings in any method. The highest diagnostic yield was achieved by combined 24-h pH-metry/impedance measurement (61.0%), followed by solely impedance measurement (48.8%), distal pH-metry (29.3%), endoscopy (22.8%) and proximal pH-metry (17.1%). All patients with a positive PPI-test and 25% of patients (5/20) with a negative PPI-test had a pathological result in pH-metry/impedance. Conclusion: Multichannel intraluminal impedance monitoring increases the diagnostic yield for objective detection of atypical manifestation of GERD. Combined 24-h pH-metry/impedance measurement has the best diagnostic yield for detection of gastroesophageal reflux and has therefore the potential to represent a new diagnostic gold standard.
© 2007 S. Karger AG, Basel
Article / Publication Details
Copyright / Drug Dosage / DisclaimerCopyright: All rights reserved. No part of this publication may be translated into other languages, reproduced or utilized in any form or by any means, electronic or mechanical, including photocopying, recording, microcopying, or by any information storage and retrieval system, without permission in writing from the publisher or, in the case of photocopying, direct payment of a specified fee to the Copyright Clearance Center.
Drug Dosage: The authors and the publisher have exerted every effort to ensure that drug selection and dosage set forth in this text are in accord with current recommendations and practice at the time of publication. However, in view of ongoing research, changes in government regulations, and the constant flow of information relating to drug therapy and drug reactions, the reader is urged to check the package insert for each drug for any changes in indications and dosage and for added warnings and precautions. This is particularly important when the recommended agent is a new and/or infrequently employed drug.
Disclaimer: The statements, opinions and data contained in this publication are solely those of the individual authors and contributors and not of the publishers and the editor(s). The appearance of advertisements or/and product references in the publication is not a warranty, endorsement, or approval of the products or services advertised or of their effectiveness, quality or safety. The publisher and the editor(s) disclaim responsibility for any injury to persons or property resulting from any ideas, methods, instructions or products referred to in the content or advertisements.