To view the fulltext, please log in
To view the pdf, please log in
- FullText & PDF
- Unlimited re-access via MyKarger (new!)
- Unrestricted printing, no saving restrictions for personal use
- Reduced rates with a PPV account
- Rent for 48h to view
- Buy Cloud Access for unlimited viewing via different devices
- Synchronizing in the ReadCube Cloud
- Printing and saving restriction apply
Rental: USD 8.50
Cloud: USD 20.00
- Automatic perpetual access to all articles of the subscribed year(s)
- Unlimited re-access via Subscriber Login or MyKarger
- Unrestricted printing, no saving restrictions for personal use
Article / Publication Details
Inherited disorders of pulmonary surfactant-associated proteins are rare but provide important insights into unique mechanisms of surfactant dysfunction. Recessive loss-of-function mutations in the surfactant protein-B and the ATP-binding cassette family member A3 (ABCA3) genes present as lethal surfactant deficiency in the newborn, whereas other recessive mutations in ABCA3 and dominant mutations in the surfactant protein-C gene result in interstitial lung disease in older infants and children. The molecular basis and the genetic and tissue-based approaches to the evaluation of children suspected of having one of these disorders are discussed.
Article / Publication Details
Copyright / Drug Dosage
Copyright: All rights reserved. No part of this publication may be translated into other languages, reproduced or utilized in any form or by any means, electronic or mechanical, including photocopying, recording, microcopying, or by any information storage and retrieval system, without permission in writing from the publisher or, in the case of photocopying, direct payment of a specified fee to the Copyright Clearance Center.
Drug Dosage: The authors and the publisher have exerted every effort to ensure that drug selection and dosage set forth in this text are in accord with current recommendations and practice at the time of publication. However, in view of ongoing research, changes in goverment regulations, and the constant flow of information relating to drug therapy and drug reactions, the reader is urged to check the package insert for each drug for any changes in indications and dosage and for added warnings and precautions. This is particularly important when the recommended agent is a new and/or infrequently employed drug.
Disclaimer: The statements, opinions and data contained in this publication are solely those of the individual authors and contributors and not of the publishers and the editor(s). The appearance of advertisements or/and product references in the publication is not a warranty, endorsement, or approval of the products or services advertised or of their effectiveness, quality or safety. The publisher and the editor(s) disclaim responsibility for any injury to persons or property resulting from any ideas, methods, instructions or products referred to in the content or advertisements.
- Batenburg JJ: Surfactant phospholipids: synthesis and storage. Am J Physiol 1992;262:367–385.
- Whitsett JA, Weaver TE: Mechanisms of disease: hydrophobic surfactant proteins in lung function and disease. N Engl J Med 2002;347:2141–2148.
- Crouch EC: Structure, biologic properties, and expression of surfactant protein D. Biochim Biophys Acta 1998;1408:278–289.
- Wright JR: Clearance and recycling of pulmonary surfactant. Am J Physiol 1990;259:L1–L12.
- Ikegami M, Jobe AH: Surfactant protein metabolism in vivo. Biochim Biophys Acta 1998;1408:218–225.
- Williams MC, Hawgood S, Hamilton RL: Changes in lipid structure produced by surfactant proteins SP-A, SP-B, and SP-C. Am J Respir Cell Mol Biol 1991;5:41–50.
- Bunt JE, Zimmermann LJ, Darcos-Wattimena JL, van Beek RH, Sauer PJ, Carnielli VP: Endogenous surfactant turnover in preterm infants measured with stable isotopes. Am J Respir Crit Care Med 1998;157:810–814.
- Bohlin K, Merchak A, Spence K, Patterson BW, Hamvas A: Endogenous surfactant metabolism in newborn infants with and without respiratory failure. Pediatr Res 2003;54:185–191.
- Zimmermann LJ, Janssen DJ, Tibboel D, Hamvas A, Carnielli VP: Surfactant metabolism in the neonate. Biol Neonate 2005;87:296–307.
- Avery ME, Mead J: Surface properties in relation to atelectasis and hyaline membrane disease. Am J Dis Child 1959;97:517–523.
- Whitsett JA, Stahlman MT: Impact of advances in physiology, biochemistry, and molecular biology on pulmonary disease in neonates. Am J Respir Crit Care Med 1998;157:S67–S71.
- Hamvas A, Wise PH, Yang RK, Wampler NS, Noguchi A, Maurer MM, Walentik CK, Schramm WF, Cole FS: The influence of the wider use of surfactant therapy on neonatal mortality among blacks and whites. N Engl J Med 1996;334:1635–1640.
- Nogee LM, deMello DE, Dehner LP, Colten HR: Brief report: deficiency of pulmonary surfactant protein B in congenital alveolar proteinosis. N Engl J Med 1993;328:406–410.
- Nogee LM, Garnier G, Dietz HC, Singer L, Murphy AM, deMello DE, Colten HR: A mutation in the surfactant protein B gene responsible for fatal neonatal respiratory disease in multiple kindreds. J Clin Invest 1994;93:1860–1863.
- Cole FS, Hamvas A, Nogee LM: Genetic disorders of neonatal respiratory function. Pediatr Res 2001;50:157–162.
- Whitsett JA, Wert SE, Xu Y: Genetic disorders of surfactant homeostasis. Biol Neonate 2005;87:283–287.
- Nogee LM, Dunbar AE III, Wert SE, Askin F, Hamvas A, Whitsett JA: A mutation in the surfactant protein C gene associated with familial interstitial lung disease. N Engl J Med 2001;344:573–579.
- Shulenin S, Nogee LM, Annilo T, Wert SE, Whitsett JA, Dean M: ABCA3 gene mutations in newborns with fatal surfactant deficiency. N Engl J Med 2004;350:1296–1303.
- Hamvas A: Inherited surfactant protein-B deficiency and surfactant protein-C associated disease: clinical features and evaluation. Semin Perinatol 2006;30:316–326.
- Bullard JE, Wert SE, Nogee LM: ABCA3 deficiency: neonatal respiratory failure and interstitial lung disease. Semin Perinatol 2006;30:327–334.
- Ballard PL, Nogee LM, Beers MF, Ballard RA, Planer BC, Polk L, deMello DE, Moxley MA, Longmore WJ: Partial deficiency of surfactant protein B in an infant with chronic lung disease. Pediatr 1995;96:1046–1052.
- Dunbar AE III, Wert SE, Hamvas A, White FV, Piedboeuf B, Jobin C, Guttentag S, Nogee LM, Ikegami M, Whitsett JA: Prolonged survival in hereditary surfactant protein B deficiency associated with a novel splicing mutation. Pediatr Res 2000;48:275–282.
- Wallot M, Wagenvoort C, deMello D, Muller K-M, Floros J, Roll C: Congenital alveolar proteinosis caused by a novel mutation of the surfactant protein B gene and misalignment of lung vessels in consanguineous kindred infants. Eur J Pediatr 1999;158:513–518.
- Tredano M, van Elburg RM, Kaspers AG, Zimmermann LJ, Houdayer C, Aymard P, Hull WM, Whitsett JA, Elion J, Griese M, Bahuau M: Compound SFTPB 1549c′GAA (121ins2) and 457delC heterozygosity in severe congenital lung disease and surfactant protein B deficiency. Hum Mut 1999;14:502–509.
- Somaschini M, Wert S, Mangili G, Colombo A, Nogee L: Hereditary surfactant protein B deficiency resulting from a novel mutation. Intensive Care Med 2000;26:97–100.
- Tredano M, Griese M, Brasch F, Schumacher S, de Blic J, Marque S, Houdayer C, Elion J, Couderc R, Bahuau M: Mutation of SFTPC in infantile pulmonary alveolar proteinosis with or without fibrosing lung disease. Am J Med Genet 2004;126A:18–26.
- Wert S, Deutsch G, Hamvas A, Whitsett J, Nogee L: Mutations in the surfactant protein C gene (SFTPC) are associated with acute and chronic lung disease in full term infants. Am J Respir Crit Care Med 2005;abstract 2:A23.
- Deterding RR, Sontag M, Kerby G, Brody A, Krawiec M, Nogee L, Hamvas A: Clinical characteristics of surfactant protein C mutations in children. Am J Respir Crit Care Med 2005;abstract 2:A474.
- Garmany TH, Moxley MA, White FV, Dean M, Nogee LM, Hamvas A: Surfactant composition and function in patients with ABCA3 mutations. Pediatr Res 2006;59:801–805.
- Brasch F, Schimanski S, Muhlfeld C, Barlage S, Langmann T, Aslanidis C, Boettcher A, Dada A, Schroten H, Mildenberger E, Prueter E, Ballmann M, Ochs M, Johnen G, Griese M, Schmitz G: Alteration of the pulmonary surfactant system in full-term infants with hereditary ABCA3 deficiency. Am J Respir Crit Care Med 2006;174:571–580.
- Nogee LM, Dunbar AE 3rd, Wert S, Askin F, Hamvas A, Whitsett JA: Mutations in the surfactant protein C gene associated with interstitial lung disease. Chest 2002;121:20S–21S.
- Thomas AQ, Lane K, Phillips J, Prince M, Markin C, Speer M, Schwartz DA, Gaddipati R, Marney A, Johnson J, Roberts R, Haines J, Stahlman M, Loyd JE: Heterozygosity for a surfactant protein C gene mutation associated with usual interstitial pneumonitis and cellular nonspecific interstitial pneumonitis in one kindred. Am J Respir Crit Care Med 2002;165:1322–1328.
- Hamvas A, Nogee LM, White FV, Schuler P, Hackett BP, Huddleston CB, Mendeloff EN, Hsu FF, Wert SE, Gonzales LW, Beers MF, Ballard PL: Progressive lung disease and surfactant dysfunction with a deletion of surfactant protein C gene. Am J Respir Cell Mol Biol 2004;30:771–776.
- Brasch F, Griese M, Tredano M, Johnen G, Ochjs M, Rieger C, Mulugeta S, Muller KM, Bahuau M, Beers MF: Interstitial lung disease in a baby with a de novo mutation in the SFTPC gene. Eur Respir J 2004;24:30–39.
- Cameron HS, Somaschini M, Carrera P, Hamvas A, Whitsett JA, Wert SE, Deutsch G, Nogee LM: A common mutation in the surfactant protein C gene associated with lung disease. J Pediatr 2005;146:370–375.
- Stevens PA, Pettenazzo A, Brasch F, Mulugeta S, Baritussio A, Ochs M, Morrison L, Russo SJ, Beers MF: Nonspecific interstitial pneumonia, alveolar proteinosis, and abnormal proprotein trafficking resulting from a spontaneous mutations in the surfactant protein C gene. Pediatr Res 2005;57:89–98.
- Bullard JE, Wert SE, Whitsett JA, Dean M, Nogee LM: ABCA3 mutations associated with pediatric interstitial lung disease. Am J Respir Crit Care Med 2005;172:1026–1031.
- Hamvas A, Nogee LM, Mallory GB, Spray TL, Huddleston CB, August A, Dehner LP, deMello DE, Moxley M, Nelson R, Cole FS, Colten HR: Lung transplantation for treatment of infants with surfactant protein B deficiency. J Pediatr 1997;130:231–239.
- Langston C: Pulmonary diseases in the neonate, infant, and child; in Churg AM, Tazelaar HD, Wright JL (eds): Thurlbeck’s Pathology of the Lung. New York, Thieme, 2005.
- DeMello DE, Heyman S, Phelps DS, Hamvas A, Nogee L, Cole S, Colten HR: Ultrastructure of lung in surfactant protein B deficiency. Am J Respir Cell Mol Biol 1994;11:230–239.
- Tryka AF, Wert SE, Mazursky JE, Arrington RW, Nogee LM: Absence of lamellar bodies with accumulation of dense bodies characterizes a novel form of congenital surfactant defect. Pediatr Dev Pathol 2000;3:335–345.
- Cole FS, Hamvas A, Rubinstein P, King E, Trusgnich M, Nogee LM, deMello DE, Colten HR: Population-based estimates of surfactant protein B deficiency. Pediatr Res 2000;105:538–541.
- Weaver TE, Whitsett JA: Function and regulation of pulmonary surfactant-associated proteins. Biochem J 1991;273:249–264.
- Guttentag SH, Beers MF, Bieler BM, Ballard PL: Surfactant protein B processing in human fetal lung. Am J Physiol 1998;275:L559–L566.
- Ueno T, Linder S, Na CL, Rice WR, Johansson J, Weaver TE: Processing of pulmonary surfactant protein B by napsin and cathepsin H. J Biol Chem 2004;279:16178–16184.
- Nogee LM: Alterations in SP-B and SP-C expression in neonatal lung disease. Annu Rev Physiol 2004;66:601–623.
- Nogee LM, Wert SE, Proffit SA, Hull WM, Whitsett JA: Allelic heterogeneity in hereditary surfactant protein B deficiency. Am J Respir Crit Care Med 2000;161:973–981.
- Williams GD, Christodoulou J, Stack J, Symons PJ, Wert SE, Murrell MJ, Nogee LM: Surfactant protein B deficiency: clinical, histological and molecular evaluation. J Paediatr Child Health 1999;35:214–220.
- Wegner DJ, Hertzberg T, Heins HB, Elmberger G, MacCoss MJ, Carlson CS, Nogee LM, Cole FS, Hamvas A: A major deletion in the surfactant protein-B gene causing lethal respiratory distress. Acta Paediatr 2007; 96:516–520.
- Hamvas A, Trusgnich M, Brice H, Baumgartner J, Hong Y, Nogee LM, Cole FS: Population-based screening for rare mutations: high throughput DNA extraction and amplification from Guthrie cards. Pediatr Res 2001;50:666–668.
- Beers MF, Hamvas A, Moxley MA, Gonzales LW, Guttentag SH, Solarin KO, Longmore WJ, Nogee LM, Ballard PL: Pulmonary surfactant metabolism in infants lacking surfactant protein B. Am J Respir Cell Mol Biol 2000;22:380–391.
- Vorbroker DK, Profitt SA, Nogee LM, Whitsett JA: Aberrant processing of surfactant protein C in hereditary SP-B deficiency. Am J Physiol 1995;268:L647–L656.
- Li J, Ikegami M, Weaver TE, Na CL, Hamvas A, Espinassous Q, Chaby R, Nogee LM, Johansson J: N-terminally extended surfactant protein (SP) C isolated from SP-B-deficient children has reduced surface activity and inhibited lipopolysaccharide binding. Biochem 2004;43:3891–3898.
- Nesslein LL, Melton KR, Ikegami M, Na CL, Wert SE, Rice WR, Whitsett JA, Weaver TE: Partial SP-B deficiency perturbs lung function and causes air space abnormalities. Am J Physiol 2005;288:L1154–L1161.
- Melton KR, Nesslein LL, Ikegami M, Tichelaar JW, Clark JC, Whitsett JA, Weaver TE: SP-B deficiency causes respiratory failure in adult mice. Am J Physiol 2003;285:L543–L549.
- Yusen RD, Cohen AH, Hamvas A: Normal lung function in subjects heterozygous for surfactant protein B deficiency. Am J Respir Crit Care Med 1999;159:411–414.
- Beers MF, Mulugeta S: Surfactant protein C biosynthesis and its emerging role in conformational lung disease. Annu Rev Physiol 2005;67:663–696.
- Wang WJ, Mulugeta S, Russo SJ, Beers MF: Deletion of exon 4 from human surfactant protein C results in aggresome formation and generation of a dominant negative. J Cell Sci 2003;116:683–692.
- Mulugeta S, Nguyen V, Russo SJ, Muniswamy M, Beers MF: A surfactant protein C precursor protein BRICHOS domain mutation causes endoplasmic reticulum stress, proteasome dysfunction, and caspase 3 activation. Am J Respir Cell Mol Biol 2005;32:521–530.
- Yamano G, Funahashi H, Kawanami O, Zhao LX, Ban N, Uchida Y, Morohoshi T, Ogawa J, Shioda S, Inagaki N: ABCA3 is a lamellar body membrane protein in human lung alveolar type II cells. FEBS Lett 2001;508:221–225.
- Mulugeta S, Gray JM, Notarfrancesco KL, Gonzales LW, Koval M, Feinstein SI, Ballard PL, Fisher AB, Shuman H: Identification of LBM180, a lamellar body limiting membrane protein of alveolar type II cells, as the ABC transporter protein ABCA3. J Biol Chem 2002;277:22147–22155.
- Connors TD, Van Raay TJ, Petry LR, Klinger KW, Landes GM, Burn TC: The cloning of a human ABC gene (ABC3) mapping to chromosome 16p13.3. Genomics 1997;39:231–234.
- Allikmets R, Gerrard B, Hutchinson A, Dean M: Characterization of the human ABC superfamily: isolation and mapping of 21 new genes using the expressed sequence tags database. Hum Mol Genet 1996;5:1649–1655.
- Peelman F, Labeur C, Vanloo B, Roosbeek S, Devaud C, Duverger N, Denefle P, Rosier M, Vandekerckhove J, Rosseneu M: Characterization of the ABCA transporter subfamily: identification of prokaryotic and eukaryotic members, phylogeny and topology. J Mol Biol 2003;325:259–274.
- Garmany TH, Heins H, Wissmann KA, Madden L, Nogee LM, Cole FS, Hamvas A: The E292V missense ABCA3 mutation is overrepresented in infants 33 weeks gestation with respiratory distress and is rare in the general population. PAS 2006 2006;59:2610.1.
- Cheong N, Madesh M, Gonzales LW, Zaho M, Yu K, Ballard PL, Shuman H: Functional and trafficking defects in ABCA3 mutants associated with respiratory distress syndrome. J Biol Chem 2006;281:9791–9800.
- Matsumura Y, Ban N, Ueda K, Inagaki N: Characterization and classification of ATP-binding cassette transporter ABCA3 mutants in fatal surfactant deficiency. J Biol Chem 2006;281:34503–34514.
- Langston C, Patterson K, Dishop MK for the chILD Pathology Co-operative Group: Askin F, Baker P, Chou P, Cool C, Coventry S, Cutz E, Davis M, Deutsch G, Galambos C, Pugh J, Wert S, White F: A protocol for the handling of tissue obtained by operative lung biopsy: recommendations of the chILD pathology co-operative group. Pediatr Dev Pathol 2006;9:173–180.
- Hamvas A, Cole FS, deMello DE, Moxley M, Whitsett JA, Colten HR, Nogee L: Surfactant protein-B deficiency: antenatal diagnosis and prospective treatment with surfactant replacement. J Pediatr 1994;125:356–361.
- Rosen DM, Waltz DA: Hydroxychloroquine and surfactant protein C deficiency. N Engl J Med 2005;352:207–208.
- Palomar LM, Nogee LM, Sweet SC, Huddleston CB, Cole FS, Hamvas A: Long-term outcomes after infant lung transplantation for surfactant protein B deficiency related to other causes of respiratory failure. J Pediatr 2006;149:548–553.