To view the fulltext, please log in
To view the pdf, please log in
- FullText & PDF
- Unlimited re-access via MyKarger (new!)
- Unrestricted printing, no saving restrictions for personal use
- Reduced rates with a PPV account
- Rent for 48h to view
- Buy Cloud Access for unlimited viewing via different devices
- Synchronizing in the ReadCube Cloud
- Printing and saving restriction apply
Rental: USD 8.50
Cloud: USD 20.00
- Automatic perpetual access to all articles of the subscribed year(s)
- Unlimited re-access via Subscriber Login or MyKarger
- Unrestricted printing, no saving restrictions for personal use
Article / Publication Details
Background: ‘Lack of insight’ into one’s own illness is a frequent symptom in schizophrenic disorders. ‘Health beliefs’ are psychological explanations of one’s own health status and are held by all individuals. The question is how they relate to each other. Methods: Lack of insight (according to the definition of the AMDP System) and health beliefs (measured with the Illness Concept Scale) were assessed in 364 schizophrenic outpatients who participated in a study on neuroleptic long-term treatment. Results: ‘Insight into illness’ and ‘health beliefs’ are independent of each other. Insight is related to the current psychopathological status as measured by the Brief Psychiatric Rating Scale, whereas health beliefs are related to personal life experiences. Lack of insight and dysfunctional health beliefs are both associated with patient noncompliance. Conclusion: Poor insight and dysfunctional health beliefs are separate clinical phenomena. Making this distinction is important for guiding research and patient care.
Article / Publication Details
Copyright / Drug Dosage
Copyright: All rights reserved. No part of this publication may be translated into other languages, reproduced or utilized in any form or by any means, electronic or mechanical, including photocopying, recording, microcopying, or by any information storage and retrieval system, without permission in writing from the publisher or, in the case of photocopying, direct payment of a specified fee to the Copyright Clearance Center.
Drug Dosage: The authors and the publisher have exerted every effort to ensure that drug selection and dosage set forth in this text are in accord with current recommendations and practice at the time of publication. However, in view of ongoing research, changes in goverment regulations, and the constant flow of information relating to drug therapy and drug reactions, the reader is urged to check the package insert for each drug for any changes in indications and dosage and for added warnings and precautions. This is particularly important when the recommended agent is a new and/or infrequently employed drug.
Disclaimer: The statements, opinions and data contained in this publication are solely those of the individual authors and contributors and not of the publishers and the editor(s). The appearance of advertisements or/and product references in the publication is not a warranty, endorsement, or approval of the products or services advertised or of their effectiveness, quality or safety. The publisher and the editor(s) disclaim responsibility for any injury to persons or property resulting from any ideas, methods, instructions or products referred to in the content or advertisements.
- Amador XF, Flaum M, Andreason NC, Strauss DH, Yale SA, Clark SC, Gorman JM: Awareness of illness in schizophrenia and schizoaffective and mood disorders. Arch Gen Psychiatry 1994;51:826–836.
- Michalakeas A, Skoutas C, Charalambous A, Peristeris A, Marinos V, Keramari E, Theologou A: Insight in schizophrenia and mood disorders and its relation to psychopathology. Acta Psychiatr Scand 1994;90:46–49.
- Guy W, Ban T: The AMDP System: Manual for the Assessment and Documentation of Psychopathology. Berlin, Springer, 1982.
- Bender W: Krankheitseinsicht und Krankheitsgefühl bei psychiatrischen Patienten. Stuttgart, Enke, 1988.
- Linden M: Krankheitskonzepte von Patienten. Psychiatr Prax 1985;12:8–12.
- Mechanic D: The concept of illness behaviour: culture, situation and personal predisposition. Psychol Med 1986;16:1–7.
- Johnson S, Orrell M: Insight and psychosis: a social perspective. Psychol Med 1995;25:515–520.
- Linden M, Nather J, Wilms H-U: Zur Definition, Bedeutung und Messung der Krankheitskonzepte von Patienten. Die Krankheitskonzeptskala (KK-Skala) für schizophrene Patienten. Fortschr Neurol Psychiatr 1988;56:35–43.
- Bischoff C, Zenz H: Patientenkonzepte von Körper und Krankheit. Stuttgart, Huber, 1989.
- Kleindienst N, Greil W: Are illness concepts a powerful predictor of adherence to prophylactic treatment in bipolar disorder? J Clin Psychiatry 2004;65:966–974.
- Hansson Scherman M, Lowhagen O: Drug compliance and identity: reasons for non-compliance. Experiences of medication from persons with asthma/allergy. Patient Educ Couns 2004;54:1–2.
- Becker MH, Rosenstock IM: Compliance with medical regime for asthma: a test of the Health Belief Model. Public Health Rep 1978;93:268–277.
- Budd RJ, Hughes ICT, Smith JA: Health beliefs and compliance with antipsychotic medication. Br J Clin Psychol 1996;35:393–397.
- Ferrini R, Edelstein S, Barrett-Connor E: The association between health beliefs and health behavior change in older adults. Prev Med 1996;23:1–5.
- Gielen AC, Faden RR, O’Campo P, Kass N: Women’s protective sexual behaviors: a test of the Health Belief Model. AIDS Educ Prev 1996;6:1–11.
- Wallston BS, Wallston KA, Kaplan GD, Maides SA: Development and validation of the Health Locus of Control (HLC) Scale. J Consult Clin Psychol 1976;44:580–585.
- Heinrichs DW, Cohen B, Carpeter WT: Early insight and the management of schizophrenic decompensation. J Nerv Ment Dis 1985;173:133–136.
- McEvoy JP, Apperson LJ, Applebaum PS, Ortlip P, Brecosky J, Hammill K, Geller JL, Roth L: Insight in schizophrenia: its relationship to acute psychopathology. J Nerv Ment Dis 1989;177:43–47.
- McEvoy JP, Freter S, Everett G, Geller JL, Applebaum PS, Apperson LJ, Roth L: Insight and the clinical outcome of schizophrenic patients. J Nerv Ment Dis 1989;177:48–51.
- McEvoy JP, Applebaum PS, Apperson LJ, Geller JL, Freter S: Why must some schizophrenic patients be involuntarily committed? The role of insight. Compr Psychiatry 1989;30:13–17.
- Buchanan A: A two-year prospective study of treatment compliance in patients with schizophrenia. Psychol Med 1992;22:787–797.
- Linden M, Godemann F, Gaebel W, Köpcke W, Müller P, Müller-Spahn F, Pietzcker A, Tegeler J: A prospective study of factors influencing adherence to a continuous neuroleptic treatment program in schizophrenia patients during 2 years. Schizophr Bull 2001;27:585–596.
- Godemann F, Linden M, Gaebel W, Köpcke W, Müller P, Müller-Spahn F, Tegeler J, Pietzcker A: Is interval medication a successful treatment regimen for schizophrenic patients with critical attitudes towards treatment? Eur Psychiatry 2003;18:82–84.
- Freudenreich O, Cather C, Evins AE, Henderson DC, Goff DC: Attitudes of schizophrenia outpatients toward psychiatric medications: relationship to clinical variables and insight. J Clin Psychiatry 2004;65:1372–1376.
- Pedrelli P, McQuaid JR, Granholm E, Patterson TL, McClure F, Beck AT, Jeste DV: Measuring cognitive insight in middle-aged and older patients with psychotic disorders. Schizophr Res 2004;71:297–305.
- Modestin J, Soult J, Malti T: Correlates of coping styles in psychotic illness. Psychopathology 2004;37:175–180.
- Donohoe G, Donnell CO, Owens N, O’Callaghan E: Evidence that health attributions and symptom severity predict insight in schizophrenia. J Nerv Ment Dis 2004;192;635–637.
- Cuesta MJ, Peralta V, Zarzela A: Reappraising insight in psychosis. Br J Psychiatry 2000;177:233–240.
- Overall JE, Gorham DR: Brief Psychiatric Rating Scale (BPRS); in CIPS Collegium Internationale Psychiatriae Scalarum (Hrsg): Internationale Skalen für Psychiatrie, Aufl. 2. Weinheim, Beltz, 1986.
- Pietzcker A, Gaebel W, Köpcke W, Linden M, Müller P, Müller-Spahn F, Tegeler J: Intermittent versus maintenance neuroleptic long-term treatment in schizophrenia: 2-year results of a German Multicenter Study. J Psychiatr Res 1993;27:321–339.
- Gaebel W, Jänner M, Frommann N, Pietzcker A, Köpcke W, Linden M, Müller P, Müller-Spahn F, Tegeler J: First vs. multiple episode schizophrenia: two-year outcome of intermittent and maintenance medication strategies. Schizophr Res 2002;53:145–159.
- Spitzer RL, Endicott J, Robins E: Research Diagnostic Criteria (RDC) for a selected group of functional disorders. Biometrics Research, ed 3. New York, New York State Psychiatric Institute, 1978.
- David AS: Insight and psychosis. Br J Psychiatry 1990;156:798–808.
- Amador XF, Seckinger RA: The assessment of insight: a methodological review. Psychiatr Ann 1997;27:798–805.
- Ghaemi SN, Rosenquist KJ: Is insight in mania state-dependent? A meta-analysis. J Nerv Ment Dis 2004;192:771–775.
- Amador XF, Strauss DH, Yale SA, Flaum M, Endicott JE, Gorman JM: Assessment of insight in psychosis. Am J Psychiatry 1993;150:873–879.
- David A, Buchanan A, Reed A, Ameida O: The assessment of insight in psychosis. Br J Psychiatry 1992;161:599–602.
- McEvoy JP, Alland J Jr, Wilson WH, Guy W, Hawkins L: Measuring chronic schizophrenic patients attitudes toward their illness and treatment. Hosp Community Psychiatry 1981;32:856–858.
- Birchwood M, Smith J, Drury V, Healy J, Mcmillan F, Slade M: A self-report insight scale for psychosis: reliability, validity, and sensitivity to change. Acta Psychiatr Scand 1994;89:62–67.
- Cuesta MJ, Peralta V: Lack of insight in schizophrenia. Schizophr Bull 1994;20:359–366.
- David AS, van Os J, Jones P, Harvey I, Foerster A, Fahy T: Insight and psychotic illness: cross-sectional and longitudinal associations. Br J Psychiatry 1995;167:621–628.
- Cernovsky ZZ, Landmark JA, Mersky H, Husni M: Clinical correlates of insight in schizophrenia. Psychol Rep 2004;95:821–827.
- Maggini C, Raallo A: Subjective experience of schizophrenic vulnerability in siblings of schizophrenia. Psychopathology 2004;37:23–28.
- Fuchs T: Delusional mood and delusional perception: a phenomenological analysis. Psychopathology 2005;38:133–139.
- Gigante AD, Castel S: Insight into schizophrenia: a comparative study between patients and family members. Sao Paulo Med J 2005;122:246–251.
- Wikman A, Marklund S, Alexanderson K: Illness, disease, and sickness absence: an empirical test of differences between concepts of ill health. J Epidemiol Community Health 2005;59:450–454.
- Henry C, Ghaemi SN: Insight in psychosis: a systematic review of treatment interventions. Psychopathology 2004;37:194–199.
- Valmaggia LR, Van der Gaag M, Tarrier N, Pijnenborg M, Slooff CJ: Cognitive-behavioral therapy for refractory psychotic symptoms of schizophrenia resistant to atypical antipsychotic medication: randomised controlled trial. Br J Psychiatry 2005;186:324–330.
- Rathod S, Kingdon D, Smith P, Turkington D: Insight into schizophrenia: the effects of cognitive behavioural therapy on the components of insight and association with sociodemographics – data on a previously published randomised controlled trial. Schizophr Res 2005;74:211–219.