Molecular epidemiology refers to the incorporation of molecular techniques in epidemiological studies. There are different biomarkers in cancer research used for molecular epidemiology including markers of exposure, markers of dose, susceptibility, treatment response, prognosis, altered structure/function and cancer type. Selected markers, especially those of exposure and susceptibility, are described in an example of gastric cancer. Clinical significance of molecular epidemiology is discussed.
© 2007 S. Karger AG, Basel
- Gastric cancer
- Molecular epidemiology
- Markers of exposure
- Markers of susceptibility
- Parkin DM, Bray F, Ferlay J, et al: Global cancer statistics, 2002. CA Cancer J Clin 2005;55:74–108.
- Chen Y-C, Hunter DJ: Molecular epidemiology of cancer. CA Cancer J Clin 2005;55:45–54.
- Suganuma M, Kuzuhara T, Yamaguchi K, Fujiki H: Cancerogenic role of tumour necrosis factor-α inducing protein of Helicobacter pylori in human stomach. J Biochem Mol Biol 2006;39:1–8.
- Houghton J, Stoicov C, Roger A, Carbon J, Li H, Cai X, Fox J, Goldering J, Wang T: Gastric cancer originating from bone marrow-derived cells. Science 2004;306:1568–1571.
- Stadtlander CH, Waterbor JW: Molecular epidemiology, pathogenesis and prevention of gastric cancer. Carcinogenesis 1999;20:2195–2208.
- Corvalan A, Ding S, Koriyama C, Carrascal E, Carrasquilla G, Backhouse C, Urza L, Argadona J, Palma M, Eizuru Y, Akiba S: Association of a distinctive statin of Epstein-Barr virus with gastric cancer. Int J Cancer 2006;118:1736–1742.
- Ojima H, Saito K, Yamauchi H, Yamaki E, Idetu A, Hosouchi Y, Nishida Y, Tukada K, Kato H, Kuwano H: p16 protein abnormality in Epstein-Barr virus-associated gastric carcinoma. Anticancer Res 2006;26:933–937.
- Shin SK, Li MS, Fuerst F, Hotchkiss E, Meyer R, Kim IT, Goel A, Boland CR: Oncogenic T-antigen of JC virus is present frequently in human gastric cancer. Cancer 2006;107:481–488.
- El-Omar EM, Carrington M, Chow WH, et al: Interleukin-1 polymorphisms associated with increased risk of gastric cancer. Nature 2000;404:398–402. Erratum in Nature 2001;412:99.
- Starzynska T, Malfertheiner P: Helicobacter and digestive malignancies. Helicobacter 2006;11:32–35.
- Sugimoto M, Furuta T, Shirai N, Nakamura A, Kajimura M, Sugimura H, Hishida A, Ishizaki T: Poor metabolizer genotype status of CYP2C19 is a risk factor for developing gastric cancer in Japanese patients with Helicobacter pylori infection. Aliment Pharmacol Ther 2005;22:1033–1040.
- Jakubowska A, Scott R, Menkiszak J, Gronwald J, Byrski T, Huzarski T, Górskii B, Cybulski C, Dębniak T, Kowalska E, Starzyńska T, Ławniczak M, Narod S, Lubiński J: A high frequency of BRCA2 gene mutations in Polish families with ovarian and stomach cancer. Eur J Hum Genet 2003;12:955–958.
Department of Gastroenterology, Pomeranian Medical Academy
ul. Unii Lubelskiej 1
PL–71-252 Szczecin (Poland)
Tel./Fax +48 91 425 32 11, E-Mail firstname.lastname@example.org
Number of Print Pages : 3
Number of Figures : 0, Number of Tables : 0, Number of References : 12
Digestive Diseases (Clinical Reviews)
Vol. 25, No. 3, Year 2007 (Cover Date: September 2007)
Journal Editor: Malfertheiner, P. (Magdeburg)
ISSN: 0257–2753 (print), 1421–9875 (Online)
For additional information: http://www.karger.com/DDI
Copyright / Drug Dosage / Disclaimer
Copyright: All rights reserved. No part of this publication may be translated into other languages, reproduced or utilized in any form or by any means, electronic or mechanical, including photocopying, recording, microcopying, or by any information storage and retrieval system, without permission in writing from the publisher or, in the case of photocopying, direct payment of a specified fee to the Copyright Clearance Center.
Drug Dosage: The authors and the publisher have exerted every effort to ensure that drug selection and dosage set forth in this text are in accord with current recommendations and practice at the time of publication. However, in view of ongoing research, changes in goverment regulations, and the constant flow of information relating to drug therapy and drug reactions, the reader is urged to check the package insert for each drug for any changes in indications and dosage and for added warnings and precautions. This is particularly important when the recommended agent is a new and/or infrequently employed drug.
Disclaimer: The statements, opinions and data contained in this publication are solely those of the individual authors and contributors and not of the publishers and the editor(s). The appearance of advertisements or/and product references in the publication is not a warranty, endorsement, or approval of the products or services advertised or of their effectiveness, quality or safety. The publisher and the editor(s) disclaim responsibility for any injury to persons or property resulting from any ideas, methods, instructions or products referred to in the content or advertisements.