To view the fulltext, please log in
To view the pdf, please log in
- FullText & PDF
- Unlimited re-access via MyKarger (new!)
- Unrestricted printing, no saving restrictions for personal use
- Reduced rates with a PPV account
- Rent for 48h to view
- Buy Cloud Access for unlimited viewing via different devices
- Synchronizing in the ReadCube Cloud
- Printing and saving restriction apply
Rental: USD 8.50
Cloud: USD 20.00
- Automatic perpetual access to all articles of the subscribed year(s)
- Unlimited re-access via Subscriber Login or MyKarger
- Unrestricted printing, no saving restrictions for personal use
Article / Publication Details
Event-related potentials provide an objective index of neurocognitive dysfunction in schizophrenia. Schizophrenia subjects show a decreased mismatch negativity (MMN) amplitude relative to age- and sex-matched controls, along with a characteristic pattern of MMN dysfunction across conditions. Deficits in MMN generation are accompanied by (1) impaired precision of auditory sensory memory performance and (2) an interstimulus-interval-dependent deficit in auditory N1 generation. Similar deficits are observed following systemic or local infusion of N-methyl-D-aspartate (NMDA) antagonists, supporting glutamatergic and phencyclidine/NMDA models of the disorder. Deficits in MMN generation may also be seen following focal cortical damage, especially to the dorsolateral prefrontal cortex. MMN thus provides a useful tool for investigating mechanisms underlying brain dysfunction in schizophrenia.
Article / Publication Details
Copyright / Drug Dosage
Copyright: All rights reserved. No part of this publication may be translated into other languages, reproduced or utilized in any form or by any means, electronic or mechanical, including photocopying, recording, microcopying, or by any information storage and retrieval system, without permission in writing from the publisher or, in the case of photocopying, direct payment of a specified fee to the Copyright Clearance Center.
Drug Dosage: The authors and the publisher have exerted every effort to ensure that drug selection and dosage set forth in this text are in accord with current recommendations and practice at the time of publication. However, in view of ongoing research, changes in goverment regulations, and the constant flow of information relating to drug therapy and drug reactions, the reader is urged to check the package insert for each drug for any changes in indications and dosage and for added warnings and precautions. This is particularly important when the recommended agent is a new and/or infrequently employed drug.
Disclaimer: The statements, opinions and data contained in this publication are solely those of the individual authors and contributors and not of the publishers and the editor(s). The appearance of advertisements or/and product references in the publication is not a warranty, endorsement, or approval of the products or services advertised or of their effectiveness, quality or safety. The publisher and the editor(s) disclaim responsibility for any injury to persons or property resulting from any ideas, methods, instructions or products referred to in the content or advertisements.
- Alain C, Hargrave R, Woods DL: Processing of auditory stimuli during visual attention in patients with schizophrenia. Biol Psychiatry 1998a;44:1151–1159.
- Alain C, Woods DL: Attention modulates auditory pattern memory as indexed by event-related brain potentials. Psychophysiology 1997;34:534–546.
- Alain C, Woods DL, Knight RT: A distributed cortical network for auditory sensory memory in humans. Brain Res 1998b;812:23–37.
- Alho K: Cerebral generators of mismatch negativity (MMN) and its magnetic counterpart (MMNm) elicited by sound changes. Ear Hear 1995;16:38–50.
- Alho K, Woods DL, Algazi A: Processing of auditory stimuli during auditory and visual attention as revealed by event-related potentials. Psychophysiology 1994a;31:469–479.
- Alho K, Woods DL, Algazi A, Knight RT, Näätänen R: Lesions of frontal cortex diminish the auditory mismatch negativity. Electroencephalogr Clin Neurophysiol 1994b;91:353–362.
- Aramakis VB, Bandrowski AE, Ashe JH: Activation of muscarinic receptors modulates NMDA receptor-mediated responses in auditory cortex. Exp Brain Res 1997;113:484–496.
- Aramakis VB, Metherate R: Nicotine selectively enhances NMDA receptor-mediated synaptic transmission during postnatal development in sensory neocortex. J Neurosci 1998;18:8485–8495.
- Braff DL, Heaton R, Kuck J, Cullum M, Moranville J, Grant I, Zisook S: The generalized pattern of neuropsychological deficits in outpatients with chronic schizophrenia with heterogeneous Wisconsin Card Sorting Test results. Arch Gen Psychiatry 1991;48:891–898.
- Bruder G, Kayser J, Tenke C, Amador X, Friedman M, Sharif Z, Gorman J: Left temporal lobe dysfunction in schizophrenia: Event-related potential and behavioral evidence from phonetic and tonal dichotic listening tasks. Arch Gen Psychiatry 1999;56:267–276.
- Butler PD, Harkavy-Friedman JM, Amador XF, Gorman JM: Backward masking in schizophrenia: Relationship to medication status, neuropsychological functioning, and dopamine metabolism. Biol Psychiatry 1996;40:295–298.
- Catts SV, Shelley AM, Ward PB, Liebert B, McConaghy N, Andrews S, Michie PT: Brain potential evidence for an auditory sensory memory deficit in schizophrenia. Am J Psychiatry 1995;152:213–219.
- Chao LL, Knight RT: Contribution of human prefrontal cortex to delay performance. J Cogn Neurosci 1998;10:167–177.
- Cienfuegos A, March L, Shelley AM, Javitt DC: Impaired categorical perception of synthetic speech sounds in schizophrenia. Biol Psychiatry 1999;45:82–88.
- Cowan N: On short and long auditory stores. Psychol Bull 1984;96:341–370.
- Cowan N, Winkler I, Teder W, Näätänen R: Memory prerequisites of mismatch negativity in the auditory event-related potential (ERP). J Exp Psychol Learn Mem Cogn 1993;19:909–921.
- Coyle JT: The glutamatergic dysfunction hypothesis for schizophrenia. Harv Rev Psychiatry 1996;3:241–253.
- Davis KL, Kahn RS, Ko G, Davisdon M: Dopamine in schizophrenia: A review and reconceptualization. Am J Psychiatry 1991;148:1474–1486.
- Ford JM, Pfefferbaum A, Roth W: P3 and schizophrenia. Ann NY Acad Sci 1992;658:146–162.
- Ford JM, Roth WT, Menon V, Pefferbaum A: Failures of automatic and strategic processing in schizophrenia: Comparisons of event-related brain potential and startle blink modification. Schizophr Res 1999;37:149–163.
- Ford JM, White PM, Csernansky JG, Faustman WO, Roth WT, Pfefferbaum A: ERPs in schizophrenia: Effects of antipsychotic medication. Biol Psychiatry 1994;36:153–170.
- Calaburda A, Pandya DN: The intrinsic architectonic and connectional organization of the superior temporal region of the rhesus monkey. J Comp Neurol 1983;221:169–184.
- Gene-Cos N, Ring HA, Pottinger RC, Barrett G: Possible roles for mismatch negativity in neuropsychiatry. Neuropsychiatry Neuropsychol Behav Neurol 1999;12:17–27.
- Giard MH, Lavikainen J, Reinikainen K, Perrin F, Bertrand O, Thevenet M, Pernier J, Näätänen R: Separate representation of stimulus frequency, intensity and duration in auditory sensory memory: An event-related potential and dipole model analysis. J Cogn Neurosci 1995;7:133–143.
- Goldman-Rakic PS: The cortical dopamine system: Role in memory and cognition. Adv Pharmacol 1998;42:707–711.
- Halberstadt AL: The phencyclidine-glutamate model of schizophrenia. Clin Neuropharmacol 1995;18:237–249.
- Harvey PD, Docherty NM, Serper MR, Rasmussen M: Cognitive deficits and thought disorder. II. An 8-month follow-up study. Schizophr Bull 1990;16:147–156.
- Heckers S: Neuropathology of schizophrenia: Cortex, thalamus, basal ganglia, and neurotransmitter-specific projection system. Schizophr Bull 1997;23:403–421.
- Hirayasu Y, Potts GF, O’ Donnell BF, Kwon JS, Arakaki H, Akdag SJ, Levitt JJ, Shenton ME, McCarley RW: Auditory mismatch negativity in schizophrenia: Topographic evaluation with a high-density recording montage. Am J Psychiatry 1998;155:1281–1284.
- Hirsch SR, Das I, Garey LJ, de Belleroche J: A pivotal role for glutamate in the pathogenesis of schizophrenia, and its cognitive dysfunction. Pharmacol Biochem Behav 1997;56:797–802.
- Holcomb HH, Ritzl EK, Medoff DR, Nevitt J, Gordon B, Tamminga CA: Tone discrimination performance in schizophrenic patients and normal volunteers: Impact of stimulus presentation levels and frequency differences. Psychiatry Res 1995;57:75–82.
- Imada T, Hari R, Loveless N, McEvoy L, Sams M: Determinants of the auditory mismatch response. Electroencephalogr Clin Neurophysiol 1993;87:144–153.
- Javitt DC: Negative schizophrenic symptomatology and the phencyclidine (PCP) model of schizophrenia. Hillside Psychiatry 1987;9:12–35.
- Javitt DC, Doneshka P, Zylberman I, Ritter W, Vaughan HG Jr: Impairment of early cortical processing in schizophrenia: An event-related potential confirmation study. Biol Psychiatry 1993;33:513–519.
- Javitt DC, Grochowski S, Shelley AM, Ritter W: Impaired mismatch negativity (MMN) generation in schizophrenia as a function of stimulus deviance, probability, and interstimulus/interdeviant interval. Electronecephalogr Clin Neurophysiol 1998;108:143–153.
- Javitt DC, Liederman E, Cienfuegos A, Shelley AM: Panmodal processing imprecision as a basis for dysfunction of transient memory storage systems in schizophrenia. Schizophr Bull, in press a.
- Javitt DC, Rabinowicz E, Silipo G, Shelley AM: Electrophysiological dissection of working memory dysfunction in schizophrenia. Schizophr Res 1999;36:254–255.
- Javitt DC, Schroeder CE, Steinschneider M, Arezzo JC, Ritter W, Vaughan HG Jr: Cognitive event-related potentials in human and non-human primates: Implications for the PCP/NMDA model of schizophrenia. Perspect Event-Relat Potentials Res 1994;EEG suppl 44:161–175.
- Javitt DC, Schroeder CE, Steinschneider M, Arezzo JC, Vaughan HG Jr: Demonstration of mismatch negativity in the monkey. Electroencephalogr Clin Neurophysiol 1992;83:87–90.
- Javitt DC, Shelley AM, Grochowski S, Ritter W: Mismatch negativity (MMN) as an index of impaired auditory sensory memory in schizophrenia. Schizophr Res 1995;15:179.
- Javitt DC, Steinschneider M, Schroeder CE, Arezzo JC: Role of cortical N-methyl-D-aspartate receptors in auditory sensory memory and mismatch negativity generation: Implications for schizophrenia. Proc Natl Acad Sci USA 1996;93:11962–11967.
- Javitt DC, Strous RD, Grochowski S, Ritter W, Cowan N: Impaired precision, but normal retention, of auditory sensory (‘echoic’) memory information in schizophrenia. J Abnorm Psychol 1997;106:315–324.
- Javitt DC, Zukin SR: Recent advances in the phencyclidine model of schizophrenia. Am J Psychiatry 1991;148:1301–1308.
- Javitt DC, Jayachandra M, Lindsley RW, Specht CM, Schroeder CE: Schizophrenia-like deficits in auditory P1 and N1 refractoriness induced by the psychotomimetic agent phencyclidine (PCP). Clin Neurophysiol, in press.
- Jentsch JD, Roth RH: The neuropsychopharmacology of phencyclidine: From NMDA receptor hypofunction to the dopamine hypothesis of schizophrenia. Neuropsychopharmacology 1999;20:201–225.
- Karayanidis F, Andrews S, Ward PB, Michie PT: ERP indices of auditory selective attention in aging and Parkinson’s disease. Psychophysiology 1995;32:335–350.
- Kasai K, Okazawa K, Nakagome K, Hiramatsu K, Ohata A, Fukuda M, Honda M, Miyauchi M, Matsushita M: Mismatch negativity and N2b attenuation as an indicator for dysfunction of the preattentive and controlled processing for deviance detection in schizophrenia: A topographic event-related potential study. Schizophr Res 1999;35:141–156.
- Kathmann N, Wagner M, Rendtorff N, Engel RR: Delayed peak latency of the mismatch negativity in schizophrenics and alcoholics. Biol Psychiatry 1995;37:754–757.
- Kay SR, Murrill LM: Predicting outcome of schizophrenia: Significance of symptom profiles and outcome dimensions. Compr Psychiatry 1990;31:91–102.
- Keefe RS, Roitman SE, Harvey PD, Blum CS, DuPre RI, Prieto DM, Davidson M, Davis KL: A pen-and-paper human analogue of a monkey prefrontal cortex activation task: Spatial working memory in patients with schizophrenia. Schizophr Res 1995;17:25–33.
- Knight RT, Scabini D, Woods DL, Clayworth C: The effects of lesions of superior temporal gyrus and inferior parietal lobe on temporal and vertex components of the human AEP. Electroencephalogr Clin Neurophysiol 1988;70:499–509.
- Kreitschmann-Andermahr I, Rosburg T, Meier T, Volz HP, Nowak H, Sauer H: Impaired sensory processing in male patients with schizophrenia: A magnetoencephalographic study of auditory mismatch detection. Schizophr Res 1999;35:121–129.
- Levänen S, Ahonen A, Hari R, McEvoy L, Sams M: Deviant auditory stimuli activate human left and right auditory cortex differently. Cereb Cortex 1996;6:288–296.
- Levänen S, Hari R, McEvoy L, Sams M: Responses of the human auditory cortex to changes in one versus two stimulus features. Exp Brain Res 1993;97:177–183.
- Mäkelä JP, Salmelin R, Kotila M, Salonen O, Laaksonen R, Hokkanen L, Hari R: Modification of neuromagnetic cortical signals by thalamic infarctions. Electroencephalogr Clin Neurophysiol 1998;106:433–443.
- March L, Cienfuegos A, Goldbloom L, Ritter W, Cowan N, Javitt DC: Normal time course of auditory recognition in schizophrenia, despite impaired precision of the auditory sensory (‘echoic’) memory code. J Abnorm Psychol 1999;108:69–75.
- Metherate R, Ashe JH: Synaptic interactions involving acetylcholine, glutamate, and GABA in rat auditory cortex. Exp Brain Res 1995;107:59–72.
- Mohamed S, Paulsen JS, O’Leary D, Arndt S, Andreasen N: Generalized cognitive deficits in schizophrenia: A study of first-episode patients. Arch Gen Psychiatry 1999;56:749–754.
- Näätänen R: The role of attention in auditory information processing as revealed by event-related potentials and other measures of cognitive function. Behav Brain Sci 1990;13:201–288.
- Nopoulos P, Flashman L, Flaum M, Arndt S, Andreasen N: Stability of cognitive functioning early in the course of schizophrenia. Schizophr Res 1994;14:29–37.
- Oades RD, Dittmann-Balcar A, Zerbin D, Grzella I: Impaired attention-dependent augmentation of MMN in nonparanoid vs paranoid schizophrenic patients: A comparison with obsessive-compulsive disorder and healthy subjects. Biol Psychiatry 1997;41:1196–1210.
- O’Donnell BF, Hokama H, McCarley RW, Smith RS, Salisbury DF, Mondrow E, Nestor PG, Shenton ME: Auditory ERPs to non-target stimuli in schizophrenia: Relationship to probability, task-demands, and target ERPs. Int J Psychophysiol 1994;17:219–231.
- Olney JW, Farber NB: Glutamate receptor dysfunction in schizophrenia. Arch Gen Psychiatry 1995;52:998–1007.
- Pakkenberg B: Pronounced reduction of total neuron number in mediodorsal thalamic nucleus and nucleus accumbens in schizophrenics. Arch Gen Psychiatry 1990;47:1023–1028.
- Pekkonen E, Jousmäki V, Kononen M, Reinikainen K, Partanen J: Auditory sensory memory impairment in Alzheimer’s disease: An event-related potential study. Neuroreport 1994;5:2537–2540.
- Pekkonen E, Jousmäki V, Partanen J, Karhu J: Mismatch negativity area and age-related auditory memory. Electroencephalogr Clin Neurophysiol 1993;87:321–325.
- Pekkonen E, Jousmäki V, Reinikainen K, Partanen J: Automatic auditory discrimination is impaired in Parkinson’s disease. Electroencephalogr Clin Neurophysiol 1995;95:47–52.
- Riekkinen P Jr, Pääkkönen A, Karhu J, Partanen J, Soininen H, Laakso M, Riekkinen P Sr: THA disrupts mismatch negativity in Alzheimer disease. Psychopharmacology (Berl) 1997;133:203–206.
- Roth WT, Horvath TB, Pfefferbaum A, Kopell BS: Event-related potentials in schizophrenics. Electroencephalogr Clin Neurophysiol 1980;48:127–139.
- Salisbury DF, Shenton ME, Sherwood AR, Fischer IA, Yurgelun-Todd DA, Tohen M, McCarley RW: First-episode schizophrenic psychosis differs from first-episode affective psychosis and controls in P300 amplitude over left temporal lobe. Arch Gen Psychiatry 1998;55:173–180.
- Sams M, Kaukoranta E, Hämäläinen M, Näätänen R: Cortical activity elicited by changes in auditory stimuli: Different sources for the magnetic N100m and mismatch responses. Psychophysiology 1991;28:21–29.
- Saykin AJ, Gur RC, Gur RE, Mozley PD, Mozley LH, Resnick SM, Kester DB, Stafiniak P: Neuropsychological function in schizophrenia: Selective impairment in memory and learning. Arch Gen Psychiatry 1991;48:618–624.
- Saykin AJ, Shtasel DL, Gur RE, Kester DB, Mozley LH, Stafiniak P, Gur RC: Neuropsychological deficits in neuroleptic naive patients with first-episode schizophrenia. Arch Gen Psychiatry 1994;51:124–131.
- Schall U, Catts SV, Chaturvedi S, Redenbach J, Karayanidis F, Ward PB: The effect of clozapine therapy on psychometric and event-related potential (ERP) measures on cognitive dysfunction in schizophrenia. Schizophr Res 1995;15:164.
- Selemon LD, Goldman-Rakic PS: The reduced neuropil hypothesis: A circuit based model of schizophrenia. Biol Psychiatry 1999;45:17–25.
- Shagass C, Straumanis JJ Jr, Roemer RA, Amadeo M: Evoked potentials of schizophrenics in several sensory modalities. Biol Psychiatry 1977;12:221–235.
- Shelley AM, Silipo G, Javitt DC: Diminished responsiveness of ERPs in schizophrenic subjects to changes in auditory stimulation parameters: Implications for theories of cortical dysfunction. Schizophr Res 1999;37:65–79.
- Shelley AM, Ward PB, Catts SV, Michie PT, Andrews S, McConaghy N: Mismatch negativity: An index of a preattentive processing deficit in schizophrenia. Biol Psychiatry 1991;30:1059–1062.
- Shutara Y, Koga Y, Fujita K, Takeuchi H, Mochida M, Takemasa K: An event-related potential study on the impairment of automatic processing of auditory input in schizophrenia. Brain Topogr 1996;8:285–289.
- Silverstein ML, Harrow M, Mavrolefteros G, Close D: Neuropsychological dysfunction and clinical outcome in psychiatric disorders: A two-year follow-up study. J Nerv Ment Dis 1997;185:722–729.
- Stevens AA, Goldman-Rakic PS, Gore JC, Fulbright RK, Wexler BE: Cortical dysfunction in schizophrenia during auditory word and tone working memory demonstrated by functional magnetic resonance imaging. Arch Gen Psychiatry 1998;55:1097–1103.
- Strous R, Cowan N, Ritter W, Javitt DC: Auditory sensory (‘echoic’) memory dysfunction in schizophrenia. Am J Psychiatry 1995;152:1517–1519.
- Sullivan EV, Lim KO, Mathalon D, Marsh L, Beal DM, Harris D, Hoff AL, Faustman WO, Pfefferbaum A: A profile of cortical gray matter volume deficits characteristic of schizophrenia. Cereb Cortex 1998;8:117–124.
- Tamminga CA: Schizophrenia and glutamatergic transmission. Crit Rev Neurobiol 1998;12:21–36.
- Thornberg SA, Saklad SR: A review of NMDA receptors and the phencyclidine model of schizophrenia. Pharmacotherapy 1996;16:82–93.
- Turetsky BI, Colbath EA, Gur RE: P300 subcomponent abnormalities in schizophrenia. I. Physiological evidence for gender and subtype specific differences in regional pathology. Biol Psychiatry 1998;43:84–96.
- Umbricht D, Javitt D, Novak G, Bates J, Pollack S, Lieberman J, Kane J: Effects of clozapine on auditory event-related potentials in schizophrenia. Biol Psychiatry 1998a;44:716–725.
- Umbricht D, Javitt DC, Novak G, Bates J, Pollack S, Lieberman J, Kane J: Effects of risperidone on auditory event-related potentials in schizophrenia. In press.
- Umbricht D, Vollenweider FX, Javitt DC: The effects of ketamine on mismatch negativity (MMN). Abstr 1st Int Workshop Mismatch Negativity Clin Applications, Helsinki, Finland, 1998b, vol 1, p 85.
- Vieregge P, Verleger R, Wascher E, Stuven F, Kompf D: Auditory selective attention is impaired in Parkinson’s disease – Event-related evidence from EEG potentials. Cogn Brain Res 1994;2:117–129.
- Weinberger DR, Berman KF: Prefrontal function in schizophrenia: Confounds and controversies. Philos Trans R Soc Lond B 1996;351:1495–1503.
- Wexler BE, Stevens AA, Bowers AA, Sernyak MJ, Goldman-Rakic PS: Word and tone working memory deficits in schizophrenia. Arch Gen Psychiatry 1998;55:1093–1096.
- Woldorff MG, Hackley SA, Hillyard SA: The effects of channel-selective attention on the mismatch negativity wave elicited by deviant tones. Psychophysiology 1991;28:30–42.