Lectin-like oxidized low-density lipoprotein (LDL) receptor-1 (LOX-1), a cell surface receptor expressed in endothelial cells, is known to mediate oxidized LDL-induced vascular inflammation and atherogenesis. Although the role of LOX-1 in vascular inflammation has been well established, its involvement in acute lung inflammation and injury remains unclear. In the present study, we examined the effects of a LOX-1-blocking antibody on lung inflammation in a mouse endotoxin lipopolysaccharide (LPS)-induced acute lung injury model. We demonstrated that intraperitoneal challenge with LPS induced a rapid and robust increase in LOX-1 expression in mouse lung. Pre-treatment of mice with anti-LOX-1-blocking antibody significantly inhibited LPS-induced lung inflammation as indicated by decreased neutrophil accumulation in the lung. Furthermore, anti-LOX-1 was capable of inhibiting LPS-induced inflammatory responses, including NF-κB activation, ICAM-1 expression and apoptotic signaling, in mouse lung. Collectively, these results indicate that LOX-1 may serve as a valuable therapeutic target in the prevention of acute lung inflammation and injury in sepsis.
Copyright © 2008 S. Karger AG, Basel
- Brigham KL, Meyrick B: Endotoxin and lung injury. Am Rev Respir Dis 1986;133:913–927.
- Herridge MS, Cheung AM, Tansey CM, Matte-Martyn A, Diaz-Granados N, Al-Saidi F, Cooper AB, Guest CB, Mazer CD, Mehta S, Stewart TE, Barr A, Cook D, Slutsky AS: One-year outcomes in survivors of the acute respiratory distress syndrome. N Engl J Med 2003;348:683–693.
- Ware LB, Matthay MA: The acute respiratory distress syndrome. N Engl J Med 2000;342:1334–1349.
- Tate RM, Repine JE: Neutrophils and the adult respiratory distress syndrome. Am Rev Respir Dis 1983;128:552–559.
- Goodman RB, Pugin J, Lee JS, Matthay MA: Cytokine-mediated inflammation in acute lung injury. Cytokine Growth Factor Rev 2003;14:523–535.
- Kamochi M, Kamochi F, Kim YB, Sawh S, Sanders JM, Sarembock I, Green S, Young JS, Ley K, Fu SM, Rose CE Jr: P-selectin and ICAM-1 mediate endotoxin-induced neutrophil recruitment and injury to the lung and liver. Am J Physiol 1999;277:L310–L319.
- Ferretti S, Bonneau O, Dubois GR, Jones CE, Trifilieff A: IL-17, produced by lymphocytes and neutrophils, is necessary for lipopolysaccharide-induced airway neutrophilia: IL-15 as a possible trigger. J Immunol 2003;170:2106–2112.
- Goodman RB, Strieter RM, Martin DP, Steinberg KP, Milberg JA, Maunder RJ, Kunkel SL, Walz A, Hudson LD, Martin TR: Inflammatory cytokines in patients with persistence of the acute respiratory distress syndrome. Am J Respir Crit Care Med 1996;154:602–611.
- Petty JM, Sueblinvong V, Lenox CC, Jones CC, Cosgrove GP, Cool CD, Rai PR, Brown KK, Weiss DJ, Poynter ME, Suratt BT: Pulmonary stromal-derived factor-1 expression and effect on neutrophil recruitment during acute lung injury. J Immunol 2007;178:8148–8157.
- Chen M, Masaki T, Sawamura T: Lox-1, the receptor for oxidized low-density lipoprotein identified from endothelial cells: implications in endothelial dysfunction and atherosclerosis. Pharmacol Ther 2002;95:89– 100.
- Kume N, Moriwaki H, Kataoka H, Minami M, Murase T, Sawamura T, Masaki T, Kita T: Inducible expression of lox-1, a novel receptor for oxidized LDL, in macrophages and vascular smooth muscle cells. Ann N Y Acad Sci 2000;902:323–327.
- Murase T, Kume N, Korenaga R, Ando J, Sawamura T, Masaki T, Kita T: Fluid shear stress transcriptionally induces lectin-like oxidized LDL receptor-1 in vascular endothelial cells. Circ Res 1998;83:328–333.
- Nagase M, Ando K, Nagase T, Kaname S, Sawamura T, Fujita T: Redox-sensitive regulation of LOX-1 gene expression in vascular endothelium. Biochem Biophys Res Commun 2001;281:720–725.
- Kataoka H, Kume N, Miyamoto S, Minami M, Moriwaki H, Murase T, Sawamura T, Masaki T, Hashimoto N, Kita T: Expression of lectin-like oxidized low-density lipoprotein receptor-1 in human atherosclerotic lesions. Circulation 1999;99:3110–3117.
- Mehta JL, Sanada N, Hu CP, Chen J, Dandapat A, Sugawara F, Satoh H, Inoue K, Kawase Y, Jishage K, Suzuki H, Takeya M, Schnackenberg L, Beger R, Hermonat PL, Thomas M, Sawamura T: Deletion of LOX-1 reduces atherogenesis in LDLR knockout mice fed high cholesterol diet. Circ Res 2007;100:1634–1642.
- Xu X, Gao X, Potter BJ, Cao JM, Zhang C: Anti-LOX-1 rescues endothelial function in coronary arterioles in atherosclerotic APOE knockout mice. Arterioscler Thromb Vasc Biol 2007;27:871–877.
- Kakutani M, Masaki T, Sawamura T: A platelet-endothelium interaction mediated by lectin-like oxidized low-density lipoprotein receptor-1. Proc Natl Acad Sci USA 2000;97:360–364.
- Oka K, Sawamura T, Kikuta K, Itokawa S, Kume N, Kita T, Masaki T: Lectin-like oxidized low-density lipoprotein receptor 1 mediates phagocytosis of aged/apoptotic cells in endothelial cells. Proc Natl Acad Sci USA 1998;95:9535–9540.
- Shimaoka T, Kume N, Minami M, Hayashida K, Sawamura T, Kita T, Yonehara S: LOX-1 supports adhesion of Gram-positive and Gram-negative bacteria. J Immunol 2001;166:5108–5114.
- Honjo M, Nakamura K, Yamashiro K, Kiryu J, Tanihara H, McEvoy LM, Honda Y, Butcher EC, Masaki T, Sawamura T: Lectin-like oxidized LDL receptor-1 is a cell-adhesion molecule involved in endotoxin-induced inflammation. Proc Natl Acad Sci USA 2003;100:1274–1279.
- Bachmaier K, Toya S, Gao X, Triantafillou T, Garrean S, Park GY, Frey RS, Vogel S, Minshall R, Christman JW, Tiruppathi C, Malik AB: E3 ubiquitin ligase CBLB regulates the acute inflammatory response underlying lung injury. Nat Med 2007;13:920–926.
- Garrean S, Gao XP, Brovkovych V, Shimizu J, Zhao YY, Vogel SM, Malik AB: Caveolin-1 regulates NF-kappaB activation and lung inflammatory response to sepsis induced by lipopolysaccharide. J Immunol 2006;177:4853–4860.
- Gao XP, Zhu X, Fu J, Liu Q, Frey RS, Malik AB: Blockade of class Ia phosphoinositide 3-kinase in neutrophils prevents NADPH oxidase activation- and adhesion-dependent inflammation. J Biol Chem 2007;282:6116– 6125.
- Koh H, Tasaka S, Hasegawa N, Yamada W, Shimizu M, Nakamura M, Yonemaru M, Ikeda E, Adachi Y, Fujishima S, Yamaguchi K, Ishizaka A: Protective role of vascular endothelial growth factor in endotoxin-induced acute lung injury in mice. Respir Res 2007;8:60.
- Nicholson DW, Ali A, Thornberry NA, Vaillancourt JP, Ding CK, Gallant M, Gareau Y, Griffin PR, Labelle M, Lazebnik YA, et al: Identification and inhibition of the ICE/CED-3 protease necessary for mammalian apoptosis. Nature 1995;376:37–43.
- Hofnagel O, Luechtenborg B, Stolle K, Lorkowski S, Eschert H, Plenz G, Robenek H: Proinflammatory cytokines regulate LOX-1 expression in vascular smooth muscle cells. Arterioscler Thromb Vasc Biol 2004;24:1789–1795.
- Shibata Y, Kume N, Arai H, Hayashida K, Inui-Hayashida A, Minami M, Mukai E, Toyohara M, Harauma A, Murayama T, Kita T, Hara S, Kamei K, Yokode M: Mulberry leaf aqueous fractions inhibit TNF-alpha-induced nuclear factor kappaB (NF-kappaB) activation and lectin-like oxidized LDL receptor-1 (LOX-1) expression in vascular endothelial cells. Atherosclerosis 2007;193:20–27.
- Cominacini L, Rigoni A, Pasini AF, Garbin U, Davoli A, Campagnola M, Pastorino AM, Lo Cascio V, Sawamura T: The binding of oxidized low density lipoprotein (OX-LDL) to OX-LDL receptor-1 reduces the intracellular concentration of nitric oxide in endothelial cells through an increased production of superoxide. J Biol Chem 2001;276:13750–13755.
- Iwai-Kanai E, Hasegawa K, Sawamura T, Fujita M, Yanazume T, Toyokuni S, Adachi S, Kihara Y, Sasayama S: Activation of lectin-like oxidized low-density lipoprotein receptor-1 induces apoptosis in cultured neonatal rat cardiac myocytes. Circulation 2001;104:2948–2954.
- Li D, Liu L, Chen H, Sawamura T, Ranganathan S, Mehta JL: LOX-1 mediates oxidized low-density lipoprotein-induced expression of matrix metalloproteinases in human coronary artery endothelial cells. Circulation 2003;107:612–617.
- Shin HK, Kim YK, Kim KY, Lee JH, Hong KW: Remnant lipoprotein particles induce apoptosis in endothelial cells by NAD(P)H oxidase-mediated production of superoxide and cytokines via lectin-like oxidized low-density lipoprotein receptor-1 activation: Prevention by cilostazol. Circulation 2004;109:1022–1028.
- Carney DE, Lutz CJ, Picone AL, Gatto LA, Ramamurthy NS, Golub LM, Simon SR, Searles B, Paskanik A, Snyder K, Finck C, Schiller HJ, Nieman GF: Matrix metalloproteinase inhibitor prevents acute lung injury after cardiopulmonary bypass. Circulation 1999;100:400–406.
- D’Ortho MP, Jarreau PH, Delacourt C, Macquin-Mavier I, Levame M, Pezet S, Harf A, Lafuma C: Matrix metalloproteinase and elastase activities in LPS-induced acute lung injury in guinea pigs. Am J Physiol 1994;266:L209–L216.
- Wesche-Soldato DE, Swan RZ, Chung CS, Ayala A: The apoptotic pathway as a therapeutic target in sepsis. Curr Drug Targets 2007;8:493–500.
- Everhart MB, Han W, Sherrill TP, Arutiunov M, Polosukhin VV, Burke JR, Sadikot RT, Christman JW, Yull FE, Blackwell TS: Duration and intensity of NF-kappaB activity determine the severity of endotoxin-induced acute lung injury. J Immunol 2006;176:4995–5005.
- Kang JL, Lee HW, Lee HS, Pack IS, Chong Y, Castranova V, Koh Y: Genistein prevents nuclear factor-kappa b activation and acute lung injury induced by lipopolysaccharide. Am J Respir Crit Care Med 2001;164:2206–2212.
- Matsunaga T, Hokari S, Koyama I, Harada T, Komoda T: NF-kappa b activation in endothelial cells treated with oxidized high-density lipoprotein. Biochem Biophys Res Commun 2003;303:313–319.
- Abraham E: Neutrophils and acute lung injury. Crit Care Med 2003;31:S195–S199.
- Chignard M, Balloy V: Neutrophil recruitment and increased permeability during acute lung injury induced by lipopolysaccharide. Am J Physiol Lung Cell Mol Physiol 2000;279:L1083–L1090.
- Hermant B, Bibert S, Concord E, Dublet B, Weidenhaupt M, Vernet T, Gulino-Debrac D: Identification of proteases involved in the proteolysis of vascular endothelium cadherin during neutrophil transmigration. J Biol Chem 2003;278:14002–14012.
Dr. Jian Fu
Department of Biochemistry, Center for Biomedical Research
University of Texas Health Science Center at Tyler
11937 US Highway 271, Tyler, TX 75708 (USA)
Tel. +1 903 877 7942, Fax +1 903 877 5914, E-Mail firstname.lastname@example.org
Received: June 16, 2008
Accepted after revision: August 5, 2008
Published online: October 1, 2008
Number of Print Pages : 8
Number of Figures : 6, Number of Tables : 0, Number of References : 40
Journal of Innate Immunity
Vol. 1, No. 4, Year 2009 (Cover Date: April 2009)
Journal Editor: Herwald H. (Lund), Egesten A. (Lund)
ISSN: 1662-811X (Print), eISSN: 1662-8128 (Online)
For additional information: http://www.karger.com/JIN
Copyright / Drug Dosage / Disclaimer
Copyright: All rights reserved. No part of this publication may be translated into other languages, reproduced or utilized in any form or by any means, electronic or mechanical, including photocopying, recording, microcopying, or by any information storage and retrieval system, without permission in writing from the publisher or, in the case of photocopying, direct payment of a specified fee to the Copyright Clearance Center.
Drug Dosage: The authors and the publisher have exerted every effort to ensure that drug selection and dosage set forth in this text are in accord with current recommendations and practice at the time of publication. However, in view of ongoing research, changes in goverment regulations, and the constant flow of information relating to drug therapy and drug reactions, the reader is urged to check the package insert for each drug for any changes in indications and dosage and for added warnings and precautions. This is particularly important when the recommended agent is a new and/or infrequently employed drug.
Disclaimer: The statements, opinions and data contained in this publication are solely those of the individual authors and contributors and not of the publishers and the editor(s). The appearance of advertisements or/and product references in the publication is not a warranty, endorsement, or approval of the products or services advertised or of their effectiveness, quality or safety. The publisher and the editor(s) disclaim responsibility for any injury to persons or property resulting from any ideas, methods, instructions or products referred to in the content or advertisements.