- Creutzfeldt-Jakob disease, case-control studies
- Creutzfeldt-Jakob disease, risk assessment
- Denmark, prion diseases
- Sweden, prion diseases
Background: Epidemiologic evidence of surgical transmission of sporadic Creutzfeldt-Jakob disease (sCJD) remains controversial. Methods: From Danish and Swedish registries we selected 167 definite and probable sCJD cases (with onset between 1987 and 2003) and 3,059 controls (835 age-, sex-, and residence-matched, and 2,224 unmatched). Independent of case/control status, surgical histories were obtained from National Hospital Discharge Registries. Surgical procedures were categorized by body system group and lag time to onset of sCJD. Exposure frequencies were compared using logistic regression. Results: A history of any major surgery, conducted ≥20 years before sCJD onset, was more common in cases than both matched (OR = 2.44, 95% CI = 1.46–4.07) and unmatched controls (OR = 2.25, 95% CI = 1.48–3.44). This observation was corroborated by a linear increase in risk per surgical discharge (OR = 1.57, 95% CI = 1.13–2.18; OR = 1.50, 95% CI = 1.18–1.91). Surgery of various body systems, including peripheral vessels, digestive system and spleen, and female genital organs, was significantly associated with increased sCJD risk. Conclusions: A variety of major surgical procedures constitute a risk factor for sCJD following an incubation period of many years. A considerable number of sCJD cases may originate from health care-related accidental transmission.
Copyright © 2008 S. Karger AG, Basel
- Prusiner SB: The prion diseases. Brain Pathol 1998;8:499–513.
- Weissmann C, Enari M, Klohn PC, Rossi D, Flechsig E: Transmission of prions. Proc Natl Acad Sci USA 2002;99(suppl 4):16378–16383.
- Kondo K, Kuroiwa Y: A case-control study of Creutzfeldt-Jakob disease: association with physical injuries. Ann Neurol 1982;11:377–381.
- Davanipour Z, Alter M, Sobel E, Asher DM, Gajdusek DC: Creutzfeldt-Jakob disease: possible medical risk factors. Neurology 1985;35:1483–1486.
- Harries-Jones R, Knight RSG, Will RG, Cousens SN, Smith PG, Matthews WB: Creutzfeldt-Jakob disease in England and Wales, 1980–1984: a case-control study of potential risk factors. J Neurol Neurosurg Psychiatry 1988;51:1113–1119.
- van Duijn CM, Delasnerie-Lauprêtre N, Masullo C, Zerr I, de Silva R, Wientjens DPWM, Brandel JP, Weber T, Bonavita V, Zeidler M, Alpérovitch A, Poser S, Granieri E, Hofman A, Will RG: Case-control study of risk factors of Creutzfeldt-Jakob disease in Europe during 1993–95. Lancet 1998;351:1081–1085.
- Collins S, Law MG, Fletcher A, Boyd A, Kaldor J, Masters CL: Surgical treatment and risk of sporadic Creutzfeldt-Jakob disease: a case-control study. Lancet 1999;353:69.
- Zerr I, Brandel J-P, Masullo C, Wientjens DPWM, de Silva R, Zeidler M, Granieri E, Sampaolo S, van Duijn CM, Delasnerie-Lauprêtre N, Will RG, Poser S: European surveillance on Creutzfeldt-Jakob disease: a case-control study for medical risk factors. J Clin Epidemiol 2000;53:747–754.
- Ward HJT, Everington D, Croes EA, Alpérovitch A, Delasnerie-Lauprêtre N, Zerr I, Poser S, van Duijn CM: Sporadic Creutzfeldt-Jakob disease and surgery: a case-control study using community controls. Neurology 2002;59:543–548.
- Ward HJ, Everington D, Cousens SN, Smith-Bathgate B, Gillies M, Murray K, Knight RS, Smith PG, Will RG: Risk factors for sporadic Creutzfeldt-Jakob disease. Ann Neurol 2008;63:347–354.
- Wientjens DPWM, Davanipour Z, Hofman A, Kondo K, Matthews WB, Will RG, van Duijn CM: Risk factors for Creutzfeldt-Jakob disease: a reanalysis of case-control studies. Neurology 1996;46:1287–1291.
- Llewelyn CA, Hewitt PE, Knight RS, Amar K, Cousens S, Mackenzie J, Will RG: Possible transmission of variant Creutzfeldt-Jakob disease by blood transfusion. Lancet 2004;363:417–421.
- Peden AH, Head MW, RitchieDL, Bell JE, Ironside JW: Preclinical vCJD after blood transfusion in a codon 129 heterozygous patient. Lancet 2004;364:527–529.
- Collinge J: Molecular neurology of prion disease. J Neurol Neurosurg Psychiatry 2005;76:906–919.
- Wroe SJ, Pal S, Siddique D, Hyare H, Macfarlane R, Joiner S, Linehan JM, Brandner S, Wadsworth JD, Hewitt P, Collinge J: Clinical presentation and pre-mortem diagnosis of variant Creutzfeldt-Jakob disease associated with blood transfusion: a case report. Lancet 2006;368:2061–2067.
- Olsen SB, Sheikh A, Peck D, Darzi A: Variant Creutzfeldt-Jakob disease, a cause for concern – Review of the evidence for risk of transmission through abdominal lymphoreticular tissue surgery. Surg Endosc 2005;19:747–750.
- Ingrosso L, Pisani F, Pocchiari M: Transmission of the 263K scrapie strain by the dental route. J Gen Virol 1999;80:3043–3047.
- Rábano A, de Pedro-Cuesta J, Mølbak K, Siden Å, Calero M, Laursen H: Tissue classification for the epidemiologic assessment of surgical transmission of sporadic Creutzfeldt-Jakob disease. A proposal on hypothetical risk levels. BMC Public Health 2005;5:9.
- Gravenor MB, Stallard N, Curnow R, McLean AR: Repeated challenge with prion disease: the risk of infection and impact on incubation period. Proc Natl Acad Sci USA 2003;100:10960–10965.
- Zerr I, Pocchiari M, Collins S, Brandel JP, de Pedro Cuesta J, Knight RS, Bernheimer H, Cardone F, Delasnerie-Lauprêtre N, Cuadrado Corrales N, Ladogana A, Bodemer M, Fletcher A, Awan T, Ruiz Bremón A, Budka H, Laplanche JL, Will RG, Poser S: Analysis of EEG and CSF 14-3-3 proteins as aids to the diagnosis of Creutzfeldt-Jakob disease. Neurology 2000;55:811–815.
- Klassifikation av operationer, 6:e upplagan. Socialstyrelsen. Stockholm, Norstedts, 1993.
- Operations og Behandlings-Klassifikation, 3 udgave. Sundhedsstyrelsen. Copenhagen, Munksgaard, 1988.
- Nordic Medico-Statistical Committee: NOMESCO Classification of Surgical Procedures. Copenhagen, NOTEX, 2003.
- Greenland S: Applications of stratified analysis methods; in Rothman KJ, Greenland S (eds): Modern Epidemiology, ed 2. Philadelphia, Lippincott & Raven, 1998, pp 281–300.
- Lundberg PO: Creutzfeldt-Jakob disease in Sweden. J Neurol Neurosurg Psychiatry 1998;65:836–841.
- Brown P, Preece MA, Brandel J-P, Sato T, McShane L, Zerr I, Fletcher A, Will RG, Pocchiari M, Cashman NR, Huillard d’Aignaux J, Cervenáková L, Fradkin J, Schonberger LB, Collins SJ: Iatrogenic Creutzfeldt-Jakob disease at the millenium. Neurology 2000;55:1075–1081.
- Salvan A, Stayner L, Steenland K, Smith R: Selecting an exposure lag period. Epidemiology 1995;6:387–390.
- Norell SE: Obtaining information on exposures; in Norell SE (eds): Workbook of Epidemiology. Oxford, Oxford University Press, 1995, pp 75–98.
- Aguzzi A, Heikenwalder M, Miele G: Progress and problems in the biology, diagnostics, and therapeutics of prion diseases. J Clin Invest 2004;114:153–160.
- Stroobant N, Van Nooten G, Van Belleghem Y, Vingerhoets G: Relation between neurocognitive impairment, embolic load, and cerebrovascular reactivity following on- and off-pump coronary artery bypass grafting. Chest 2005;127:1967–1976.
- Barash JA, Johnson BT, Gregorio I: Is surgery a risk factor for Creutzfeldt-Jakob disease? Outcome variation by control choice and exposure assessments. Infect Control Hosp Epidemiol 2008;29:212–218.
- S-Juan P, Ward HJ, De Silva R, Knight R, Will RG: Ophthalmic surgery and Creutzfeldt-Jakob disease. Br J Ophthalmol 2004;88:446–449.
- Hamaguchi T, Noguchi-Shinohara M, Nakamura Y, Sato T, Kitamoto T, Mizusawa H, Yamada M: Ophthalmic surgery in prion diseases. Emerg Infect Dis 2007;13:162–164.
- Ward HJ, Everington D, Cousens SN, Smith-Bathgate B, Leitch M, Cooper S, Heath C, Knight RS, Smith PG, Will RG: Risk factors for variant Creutzfeldt-Jakob disease: a case-control study. Ann Neurol 2006;59:111–120.
- Linsell L, Cousens SN, Smith PG, Knight RS, Zeidler M, Stewart G, de Silva R, Esmonde TF, Ward HJ, Will RG: A case-control study of sporadic Creutzfeldt-Jakob disease in the United Kingdom. Analysis of clustering. Neurology 2004;63:2077–2083.
- D’Aignaux JH, Cousens SN, Delasnerie-Lauprêtre N, Brandel JP, Salomon D, Laplanche JL, Hauw JJ, Alpérovitch A: Analysis of the geographical distribution of sporadic Creutzfeldt-Jakob disease in France between 1992 and 1998. Int J Epidemiol 2002;31:490–495.
- Zarranz JJ, Digon A, Atarés B, Rodríguez-Martínez AB, Arce A, Carrera N, Fernández-Manchola I, Fernández-Martínez M, Fernández-Maiztegui C, Forcadas I, Galdos L, Gómez-Esteban JC, Ibáñez A, Lezcano E, López de Munain A, Martí-Massó JF, Mendibe MM, Urtasun M, Uterga JM, Saracibar N, Velasco F, de Pancorbo MM: Phenotypic variability in familial prion diseases due to the D178N mutation. J Neurol Neurosurg Psychiatry 2005;76:1491–1496.
- Glatzel M, Rogivue C, Ghani AC, Streffer JR, Amsler L, Aguzzi A: Incidence of Creutzfeldt-Jakob disease in Switzerland. Lancet 2002;360:139–141.
Jesús de Pedro Cuesta
Centro Nacional de Epidemiología, Instituto de Salud Carlos III
Calle Sinesio Delgado 6, Pabellón 12
ES–28029 Madrid (Spain)
Tel. +34 91 8222 650, Fax +34 91 3877 815, E-Mail email@example.com
EUROSURGYCJD group members: Danish team: Gerhard Falkenhorst, Henning Laursen and Kåre Mølbak; Finnish team: Jussi Kovanen; Swedish team: Mabel Cruz and Åke Siden; Spanish team: Javier Almazán, María J. Bleda, Miguel Calero, Ignacio Mahillo Fernandez, Pablo Martínez Martín, Jesús de Pedro Cuesta (coordinator) and Alberto Rábano.
Received: April 23, 2008
Accepted: July 31, 2008
Published online: October 9, 2008
Number of Print Pages : 12
Number of Figures : 2, Number of Tables : 5, Number of References : 38
Vol. 31, No. 4, Year 2008 (Cover Date: November 2008)
Journal Editor: Feigin V.L. (Auckland)
ISSN: 0251–5350 (Print), eISSN: 1423–0208 (Online)
For additional information: http://www.karger.com/NED
Copyright / Drug Dosage / Disclaimer
Copyright: All rights reserved. No part of this publication may be translated into other languages, reproduced or utilized in any form or by any means, electronic or mechanical, including photocopying, recording, microcopying, or by any information storage and retrieval system, without permission in writing from the publisher or, in the case of photocopying, direct payment of a specified fee to the Copyright Clearance Center.
Drug Dosage: The authors and the publisher have exerted every effort to ensure that drug selection and dosage set forth in this text are in accord with current recommendations and practice at the time of publication. However, in view of ongoing research, changes in goverment regulations, and the constant flow of information relating to drug therapy and drug reactions, the reader is urged to check the package insert for each drug for any changes in indications and dosage and for added warnings and precautions. This is particularly important when the recommended agent is a new and/or infrequently employed drug.
Disclaimer: The statements, opinions and data contained in this publication are solely those of the individual authors and contributors and not of the publishers and the editor(s). The appearance of advertisements or/and product references in the publication is not a warranty, endorsement, or approval of the products or services advertised or of their effectiveness, quality or safety. The publisher and the editor(s) disclaim responsibility for any injury to persons or property resulting from any ideas, methods, instructions or products referred to in the content or advertisements.