To view the fulltext, please log in
To view the pdf, please log in
The caries–inhibiting effect of the extract from shiitake (Lentinus edodes), the most popular edible mushroom in Japan, was studied both in vitro and in vivo. Shiitake extract showed an inhibitory effect on water–insoluble glucan formation from sucrose by crude glucosyltransferases of Streptococcus mutans JC–2 and Streptococcus sobrinus OMZ–176. The firmly adherent plaque in the artificial plaque formation test was strongly inhibited by shiitake extract. The reduction of firmly adherent plaque caused an increase in the incidence of non– and loosely adherent plaque and a decrease in total plaque formation. A significantly lower caries score was observed in specific pathogen–free rats infected with S. mutans JC–2 and fed with a cariogenic diet containing 0.25% shiitake extract as compared with controls fed the cariogenic diet without shiitake extract.
Copyright / Drug Dosage
Copyright: All rights reserved. No part of this publication may be translated into other languages, reproduced or utilized in any form or by any means, electronic or mechanical, including photocopying, recording, microcopying, or by any information storage and retrieval system, without permission in writing from the publisher or, in the case of photocopying, direct payment of a specified fee to the Copyright Clearance Center.
Drug Dosage: The authors and the publisher have exerted every effort to ensure that drug selection and dosage set forth in this text are in accord with current recommendations and practice at the time of publication. However, in view of ongoing research, changes in goverment regulations, and the constant flow of information relating to drug therapy and drug reactions, the reader is urged to check the package insert for each drug for any changes in indications and dosage and for added warnings and precautions. This is particularly important when the recommended agent is a new and/or infrequently employed drug.
Disclaimer: The statements, opinions and data contained in this publication are solely those of the individual authors and contributors and not of the publishers and the editor(s). The appearance of advertisements or/and product references in the publication is not a warranty, endorsement, or approval of the products or services advertised or of their effectiveness, quality or safety. The publisher and the editor(s) disclaim responsibility for any injury to persons or property resulting from any ideas, methods, instructions or products referred to in the content or advertisements.
- Bowen WH: Animal caries – Working group consensus report. J Dent Res 1986;65(special issue):1528–1529.
- Chihara G, Hamuro J, Maeda Y, Arai Y, Fukuoka F: Fractionation and purification of the polysaccharides with marked antitumor activity, especially Lentinan, from Lentinus edodes (Berk.) Sing. (an edible mushroom). Cancer Res 1970;30:2776–2781.
- Dubois M, Gilles KA, Hamilton JK, Rebers PA, Smith F: Colorimetric method for determination of sugars and related substances. Anal Chem 1956;28:350–356.
- Fukushima K, Motoda R, Ikeda T: Effects of exogenous insoluble glucan primer on insoluble glucan synthesis by Streptococcus mutans. J Dent Res 1981;60:1707–1712.
- Hamada S, Slade HD: Biology, immunology, and cariogenicity of Streptococcus mutans. Microbiol Rev 1980;44:331–384.
- Hirasawa M, Shouji N, Neta T, Fukushima K, Takada K: Three kinds of antibacterial substances from Lentinus edodes (Berk.) Sing. (shiitake, an edible mushroom). Int J Antimicrob Agents 1999;11:151–157.
- Ikeda T, Shiota T, McGhee JR, Otake S, Michalek SM, Ochiai K, Hirasawa M, Sugimoto K: Virulence of Streptococcus mutans: Comparison of the effects of a coupling sugar and sucrose on certain metabolic activities and cariogenicity. Infect Immun 1978;19:477–480.
- Kawanabe J, Hirasawa M, Takeuchi T, Oda T, Ikeda T: Noncariogenicity of erythritol as a substrate. Caries Res 1992;26:358–362.
- Keyes PH: Dental caries in the molar teeth of rats. II. A method for diagnosing and scoring several types of lesions simultaneously. J Dent Res 1958;37:1088–1099.
- Keyes PH, Jordan HV: Periodontal lesions in the Syrian hamster. III. Findings related to an infectious and transmissible component. Arch Oral Biol 1964;9:377–400.
- Kobayashi M, Funane K, Ogura T: Inhibition of dextran and mutan synthesis by cycloisomalto–olygosaccharides. Biosci Biotech Biochem 1995;59:1861–1865.
- Loesche WJ: Role of Streptococcus mutans in human dental decay. Microbiol Rev 1986;50: 353–380.
- Michalek SM, McGhee JR: Virulence of Streptococcus mutans: An antibiotic–suppressed rat model for studies of pathogenesis. J Dent Res 1977;56:205–211.
- Morita K, Kobayashi S: Isolation, structure, and synthesis of lenthionine and its analogs. Chem Pharm Bull 1967;15:988–993.
- Newbrun E, Hoover CI, Walker GJ: Inhibition by acarbose, nojirimycin and 1–deoxynojirimycin of glucosyltransferase produced by oral streptococci. Arch Oral Biol 1983;28:531–536.
- Nishizawa T, Takeuchi K, Imai S: Difference in mode of inhibition between α–D–xylosyl β–D–fructoside and α–isomaltosyl β–D–fructoside in synthesis of glucan by Streptococcus mutans D–glucosyltransferase. Carbohydr Res 1986; 147:135–144.
- Ooshima T, Izumitani A, Sobue S, Okahashi N, Hamada S: Non–cariogenicity of the disaccharide palatinose in experimental dental caries of rats. Infect Immun 1983;39:43–49.
- Ooshima T, Minami T, Aono W, Izumitani A, Sobue S, Fujiwara T, Kawabata S, Hamada S: Oolong tea polyphenols inhibit experimental dental caries in SPF rats infected with mutans streptococci. Caries Res 1993;27:124–129.
- Otake S, Makimura M, Kuroki T, Nishihara Y, Hirasawa M: Anticaries effects of polyphenolic compounds from Japanese Green Tea. Caries Res 1991a;25:438–443.
- Otake S, Nishihara Y, Makimura M, Hatta H, Kim M, Yamamoto T, Hirasawa M: Protection of rats against dental caries by passive immunization with hen–egg–yolk antibody (IgY). J Dent Res 1991b;70:162–166.
- Takazawa H, Tajima F, Miyashita C: An antifungal compound from ‘shiitake’ (Lentinus edodes) (in Japanese). Yakugaku Zasshi 1982;102: 489–491.
- Tochikura TS, Nakashima H, Ohashi Y, Yamamoto N: Inhibition (in vitro) of replication and of the cytopathic effect of human immunodeficiency virus by an extract of the culture medium of Lentinus edodes mycelia. Med Microbiol Immunol 1988;177:235–244.
- Tomita Y, Zhu X, Ochiai K, Namiki Y, Okada T, Ikemi T, Fukushima K: Evaluation of three individual glucosyltransferases produced by Streptococcus mutans using monoclonal antibodies. FEMS Microbiol Lett 1996;145:427– 432.
- Wu–Yuan CD, Chen CY, Wu RT: Gallotannins inhibit growth, water–insoluble glucan synthesis, and aggregation of mutans streptococci. J Dent Res 1988;67:51–55.