To view the fulltext, please log in
To view the pdf, please log in
Copyright / Drug Dosage
Copyright: All rights reserved. No part of this publication may be translated into other languages, reproduced or utilized in any form or by any means, electronic or mechanical, including photocopying, recording, microcopying, or by any information storage and retrieval system, without permission in writing from the publisher or, in the case of photocopying, direct payment of a specified fee to the Copyright Clearance Center.
Drug Dosage: The authors and the publisher have exerted every effort to ensure that drug selection and dosage set forth in this text are in accord with current recommendations and practice at the time of publication. However, in view of ongoing research, changes in goverment regulations, and the constant flow of information relating to drug therapy and drug reactions, the reader is urged to check the package insert for each drug for any changes in indications and dosage and for added warnings and precautions. This is particularly important when the recommended agent is a new and/or infrequently employed drug.
Disclaimer: The statements, opinions and data contained in this publication are solely those of the individual authors and contributors and not of the publishers and the editor(s). The appearance of advertisements or/and product references in the publication is not a warranty, endorsement, or approval of the products or services advertised or of their effectiveness, quality or safety. The publisher and the editor(s) disclaim responsibility for any injury to persons or property resulting from any ideas, methods, instructions or products referred to in the content or advertisements.
- Tallan HH, Moore S, Stein WH: N-acetyl-L-aspartic acid in brain. J Biol Chem 1956;219:257–264.
- Tallan HH: Studies on the distribution of N-acetyl-L-aspartic acid in brain. J Biol Chem 1957;224:41–45.
- Buniatian HC, Hovhannissian VS, Aprikian GV: The participation of N-acetyl-L-aspartic acid in brain metabolism. J Neurochem 1965;12:695–703.
- D’Adamo AF Jr, Yatsu FM: Acetate metabolism in the nervous system. N-acetyl-L-aspartic acid and the biosynthesis of brain lipids. J Neurochem 1966;13:961–965.
- D’Adamo AF Jr, Gidez LI, Yatsu FM: Acetyl transport mechanism. Involvement of N-acetyl aspartic acid in de novo fatty acid biosynthesis in the developing rat brain. Exp Brain Res 1968;5:267–273.
- Benuck M, D’Adamo AF Jr: Acetyl transport mechanisms. Metabolism of N-acetyl-L-aspartic acid in the non-nervous tissues of the rat. Biochim Biophys Acta 1968;152:611–618.
- Knizley H: The enzymatic synthesis of N-acetyl-L-aspartic acid by a water-insoluble preparation of a cat brain acetone powder. J Biol Chem 1967;242:4619–4622.
- D’Adamo AF Jr, Smith JC, Woiler C: The occurrence of N-acetylaspartate amidohydrolase (aminoacylase II) in the developing rat. J Neurochem 1973;20:1275–1278.
- Kaul R, Casanova J, Johnson AB, Tang P, Matalon R: Purification, characterization, and localization of aspartoacylase from bovine brain. J Neurochem 1991;56:129–135.
- Patel TB, Clark JB: Synthesis of N-acetyl-L-aspartate by rat brain mitochondria and its involvement in mitochondrial/cytosolic carbon transport. Biochem J 1979;184:539–546.
- Meijer AJ, Van-Dam K: The metabolic significance of anion transport in mitochondria. Biochem Biophys Acta 1974;346:213–244.
- Taylor DL, Davies SEC, Obrenovitch TP, Doheny MH, Patsalos PN, Clark JB, Symon L: Investigation into the role of N-acetylaspartate in cerebral osmoregulation. J Neurochem 1995;65:275–281.
- Sager TN, Fink-Jensen A, Hansen AJ: Transient elevation of interstitial N-acetylaspartate in reversible global brain ischaemia. J Neurochem 1997;68:675–682.
- Blakely RD, Coyle JT: The neurobiology of N-acetylaspartylglutamate. Int Rev Neurobiol 1988;30:39–100.
- Frahm J, Michaelis T, Merboldt KD, Hanicke W, Gyngel ML, Bruhn H: On the N-acetyl methyl resonance in localized 1H NMR spectra of human brain in vivo. NMR Biomed 1991;4:201–204.
- Behar KL, Petroff OAC, Spencer DD: Macromolecule resonances in the 1H- NMR spectrum of human brain. Proc Soc Magn Med 1992:11:651.
- Nadier JV, Cooper JR: N-acetyl-L-aspartic acid content of human neural tumours and bovine peripheral nervous tissues. J Neurochem 1972;19:313–319.
- Koller KJ, Zaczek R, Coyle JT: N-acetyl-aspartyl-glutamate: Regional levels in rat brain and the effects of brain lesions as determined by a new HPLC method. J Neurochem 1984;43:1136–1142.
- Urenjak J, Williams SR, Gadian DG, Noble M: Specific expression of N-acetylaspartate in neurons, oligodendrocyte-type-2 astrocyte progenitors, and immature oligodendrocytes in vitro. J Neurochem 1992;59:55–61.
- Urenjak J, Williams SR, Gadian DG, Noble M: Proton nuclear magnetic resonance spectroscopy unambiguously identifies different neural cell types. J Neurosci 1993;13:981–989.
- Canavan MM: Schilder’s encephalitis periaxialis diffusa. Arch Neurol Psychiatry 1931;25:299–308.
- Matalon R, Michals K, Sebasta D, Deanching M, Gashkoff P, Casanova J: Aspartoacylase deficiency and N-acetylaspartic aciduria in patients with Canavan disease. Am J Med Genet 1988;29:463–471.
- Matalon R, Kaul R, Casanova J, Michals K, Johnson AB, Rapin I, Gashkoff P, Deanching M: Aspartoacylase deficiency: The enzyme defect in Canavan’s disease. J Inherit Metab Dis 1989;12:329–331.
- Austin SJ, Connelly A, Gadian DG, Benton JS, Brett EM: Localized 1H NMR spectroscopy in Canavan’s disease: A report of two cases. Magn Res Med 1991;19:439–445.
- Davies SEC, Newcombe J, Williams SR, McDonald WI, Clark JB: High resolution proton NMR spectroscopy of multiple sclerosis lesions. J Neurochem 1995;64:742–748.
- Davie CA, Hawkins CP, Barker GJ, Brennan A, Tofts PS, Miller DH, McDonald WI: Serial proton magnetic resonance spectroscopy in acute multiple sclerosis lesions. Brain 1994;117:49–58.
- De Stefano N, Matthews PM, Arnold DL: Reversible decreases in N-acetylaspartate after acute brain injury. Magn Res Med 1995;34:721–727.
- Lassman H: Comparative Neuropathology of Chronic Experimental Allergic Encephalomyelitis and Multiple Sclerosis. Berlin/Heidelberg/New York/Tokyo, Springer Verlag, 1983.
- Saragea M, Clopotaru M, Sica M, Viadutiu A, Negru T, Rotaru N: Biochemical changes occurring in animals with experimental allergic encephalomyelitis. Med Pharmacol Exp 1965;13:74–80.
- Brenner RE, Munro PMG, Williams SCR, Bell JD, Barker GJ, Hawkins CP, Landon DH, McDonald WI: The proton NMR spectrum in acute EAE: The significance of the change in the Cho:Cr ratio. Magn Res Med 1993;29:737–745.
- Brenner RE, Bates TE, Davies SEC, Munro PMG, Williams SCR, Clark JB, Landon DN, McDonald WI: Abnormal neuronal mitochondria: A cause of reduction in N-acetyl containing compounds (NA) in demyelinating disease. J Neurol 1994;241:S29.
- Heales SJR, Davies SEC, Bates TE, Clark JB: Depletion of brain glutathione is accompanied by impaired mitochondrial function and decreased N-acetyl aspartate concentration. Neurochem Res 1995;20:31–38.
- Bates TE, Strangward M, Keelan J, Davey GP, Munro PMG, Clark JB: Inhibition of N-acetylaspartate production: Implications for 1H MRS studies in vivo. Neuroreport 1996;7:1397–1400.
- Davey GP, Clark JB: Threshold effects and control of oxidative phosphorylation in nonsynaptic rat brain mitochondria. J Neurochem 1996;66:1617–1624.