To view the fulltext, please log in
To view the pdf, please log in
NEMO is an essential component of the IκB kinase complex. Others have shown that expression of mouse NEMO can complement the lack of responsiveness to NF-κB stimuli in two NEMO-deficient cell lines. Here we report the isolation of a full-length human NEMO cDNA. Virtual translation of human NEMO cDNA predicts a 48-kD coiled-coil protein which shares 87.9% identity and 90.5% similarity with the mouse homolog. By sequence alignment, we mapped the human NEMO gene to chromosome Xq28. We note that the NEMO and the G6PD (glucose-6-phosphate dehydrogenase) loci are arranged in a head-to-head orientation separated by no more than 800 bp. This map location is further supported by the sequence of an alternatively spliced variant of human NEMO mRNA. Thus, human NEMO is an X-linked gene closely adjacent to the G6PD locus.
Copyright / Drug Dosage
Copyright: All rights reserved. No part of this publication may be translated into other languages, reproduced or utilized in any form or by any means, electronic or mechanical, including photocopying, recording, microcopying, or by any information storage and retrieval system, without permission in writing from the publisher or, in the case of photocopying, direct payment of a specified fee to the Copyright Clearance Center.
Drug Dosage: The authors and the publisher have exerted every effort to ensure that drug selection and dosage set forth in this text are in accord with current recommendations and practice at the time of publication. However, in view of ongoing research, changes in goverment regulations, and the constant flow of information relating to drug therapy and drug reactions, the reader is urged to check the package insert for each drug for any changes in indications and dosage and for added warnings and precautions. This is particularly important when the recommended agent is a new and/or infrequently employed drug.
Disclaimer: The statements, opinions and data contained in this publication are solely those of the individual authors and contributors and not of the publishers and the editor(s). The appearance of advertisements or/and product references in the publication is not a warranty, endorsement, or approval of the products or services advertised or of their effectiveness, quality or safety. The publisher and the editor(s) disclaim responsibility for any injury to persons or property resulting from any ideas, methods, instructions or products referred to in the content or advertisements.
- Zandi E, Chen Y, Karin M. Direct phosphorylation of IκB by IKKα and IKKβ: Discrimination between free and NF-κB-bound substrate. Science 281:1360–1363;1998.
- Yin MJ, Christerson LB, Yamamoto Y, Kwak YT, Xu S, Mercurio F, Barbosa M, Cobb MH, Gaynor RB. HTLV-I Tax protein binds to MEKK1 to stimulate IκB kinase activity and NF-κB activation. Cell 93:875–884;1998.
- Yamaoka S, Courtois G, Bessia C, Whiteside ST, Weil R, Agou F, Kirk HE, Kay RJ, Israel A. Complementation cloning of NEMO, a component of the IκB kinase complex essential for NF-κB activation. Cell 93:1231–1240;1998.
- Uhlik M, Good L, Xiao G, Harhaj EW, Zandi E, Karin M, Sun SC. NF-κB-inducing kinase and IκB kinase participate in human T-cell leukemia virus I tax-mediated NF-κB activation. J Biol Chem 273:21132–21136;1998.
- Trinh D, Jeang K-T, Semmes OJ. HTLV-I Tax and cytokeratin: Tax-expressing cells show morphological changes in keratin-containing cytoskeletal networks. J Biomed Sci 4:47–53;1997.
- Solovyev VV, Salamov AA, Lawrence CB. Predicting internal exons by oligonucleotide composition and discriminant analysis of spliceable open reading frames. Nucl Acids Res 24:5156–5163;1994.
- Semmes OJ, Jeang K-T. Localization of human T-cell leukemia virus type 1 Tax to subnuclear compartments that overlap with interchromatin speckles. J Virol 70:6347–6357;1996.
- Semmes OJ, Barret JF, Dang CV, Jeang K-T. Human T-cell leukemia virus type I tax masks c-Myc function through a cAMP-dependent pathway. J Biol Chem 271:9730–9738;1996.
- Seki N, Ohira M, Nagase T, Ishikawa K, Miyajima N, Nakajima D, Nomura N, Ohara O. Characterization of cDNA clones in size-fractionated cDNA libraries from human brain. DNA Res 4:345–349;1997.
- Sambrook J, Fritch EF, Maniatis T: Molecular Cloning: A Laboratory Manual, ed 2. New York, Cold Spring Harbor Laboratory Press, 1989.
- Rosin O, Koch C, Schmitt I, Semmes OJ, Jeang K-T, Grassmann R. A human T-cell leukemia virus Tax variant incapable of activating NF-κB retains its immortalizing potential for primary T-lymphocytes. J Biol Chem 273:6698–6703;1998.
- Regnier CH, Song HY, Gao X, Goeddel DV, Cao Z, Rothe M. Identification and characterization of an IκB kinase. Cell 90:373–383;1997.
- Neuveut C, Low KG, Maldarelli F, Schmitt I, Majone F, Grassmann R, Jeang K-T. Human T- cell leukemia virus type 1 Tax and cell cycle progression: Role of cyclin D-cdk and p110Rb. Mol Cell Biol 18:3620–3632;1998.
- Neuveut C, Jin D-Y, Semmes OJ, Diella F, Callahan R, Jeang K-T. Divergent subcellular locations of HTLV-Tax and Int-6: A contrast between in vitro protein-protein binding and intracellular protein colocalization. J Biomed Sci 4:229–234;1997.
- Mercurio F, Zhu H, Murray BW, Shevchenko A, Bennett BL, Li JW, Young DB, Barbosa M, Mann M, Manning A, Rao A. IKK-1 and IKK-2: Cytokine-activated IκB kinases essential for NF-κB activation. Science 278:860–866;1997.
- Martini G, Toniolo D, Vulliamy T, Luzzatto L, Dono R, Viglietto G, Paonessa G, D’Urso M, Persico MG. Structural analysis of the X-linked gene encoding human glucose 6-phosphate dehydrogenase. EMBO J 5:1849–1855;1986.
- Maniatis T. Catalysis by a multiprotein IκB kinase complex. Science 278:818–819;1997.
- Lupas A, Van Dyke M, Stock J. Predicting coiled coils from protein sequences. Science 252:1162–1164;1991.
- Li Y, Kang J, Horwitz MS. Interaction of an adenovirus E3 14.7-kilodalton protein with a novel tumor necrosis factor α-inducible cellular protein containing leucine zipper domains. Mol Cell Biol 18:1601–1610;1998.
- Lee FS, Peters RT, Dang LC, Maniatis T. MEKK1 activates both IκB kinase α and IκB kinase β. Proc Natl Acad Sci USA 95:9319–9324;1998.
- Krishnan R, Goodman B, Jin D-Y, Jeang K-T, Collins C, Stetten G, Spencer F. Map location and gene structure of the Homo sapiens mitotic arrest deficient 2 (MAD2L1) gene at 4q27. Genomics 49:475–478;1998.
- Jin D-Y, Spencer F, Jeang K-T. Human T cell leukemia virus type I oncoprotein Tax targets the human mitotic checkpoint protein MAD1. Cell 93:81–91;1998.
- Jin D-Y, Teramoto H, Giam C-Z, Chun RF, Gutkind JS, Jeang K-T. A human suppressor of c-Jun N-terminal kinase 1 activation by tumor necrosis factor α. J Biol Chem 272:25816–25823;1997.
- Jin D-Y, Chae HZ, Rhee SG, Jeang K-T. Regulatory role for a novel human thioredoxin peroxidase in NF-κB activation. J Biol Chem 272:30952–30961;1997.
- Jin D-Y, Jeang K-T. Transcriptional activation and self-association in yeast: Protein-protein dimerization as a pleiotropic mechanism of HTLV-1 Tax function. Leukemia 11:3–6;1997.
- Jin D-Y, Jeang K-T. HTLV-I Tax self-association in optimal trans-activation function. Nucl Acids Res 25:379–387;1997.
- Jin D-Y, Lyu M-S, Kozak CA, Jeang K-T. Functions of 14-3-3 proteins. Nature 382:308;1996.
- Ghosh S, May MJ, Kopp EB. NF-κB and Rel proteins: Evolutionarily conserved mediators of immune responses. Ann Rev Immunol 16:225–260;1998.
- Geleziunas R, Ferrell S, Lin X, Mu Y, Cunningham ET Jr, Grant M, Connelly MA, Hambor JE, Marcu KB, Greene WC. Human T-cell leukemia virus type 1 Tax induction of NF-κB involves activation of the IκB kinase α (IKKα) and IKKβ cellular kinases. Mol Cell Biol 18:5157–5165;1998.
- Fry AM, Mayor T, Meraldi P, Stierhof Y-D, Tanaka K, Nigg EA. C-Nap1, a novel centrosomal coiled-coil protein and candidate substrate of the cell cycle-regulated protein kinase Nek2. J Cell Biol 141:1563–1574;1998.
- Compton DA, Szilak I, Cleveland DW. Primary structure of NuMA, an intranuclear protein that defines a novel pathway for segregation of proteins at mitosis. J Cell Biol 116:1395–1408;1992.
- Chu ZL, DiDonato JA, Hawiger J, Ballard DW. The tax oncoprotein of human T-cell leukemia virus type 1 associates with and persistently activates IκB kinases containing IKKα and IKKβ. J Biol Chem 273:15891–15894;1998.
- Chen EY, Zollo M, Mazzarella R, Ciccodicola A, Chen CN, Zuo L, Heiner C, Burough F, Repetto M, Schlessinger D, D’Urso M. Long-range sequence analysis in Xq28: Thirteen known and six candidate genes in 219.4 kb of high GC DNA between the RCP/GCP and G6PD loci. Hum Mol Genet 5:659–668;1996.
- Chen EY, Cheng A, Lee A, Kuang WJ, Hillier L, Green P, Schlessinger D, Ciccodicola A, D’Urso M. Sequence of human glucose-6-phosphate dehydrogenase cloned in plasmids and a yeast artificial chromosome. Genomics 10:792–800;1991.
- Berger B, Wilson DB, Wolf E, Tonchev T, Milla M, Kim PS. Predicting coiled coils by use of pairwise residue correlations. Proc Natl Acad Sci USA 92:8259–8263;1995.
- Baeuerle PA, Baltimore D. NF-κB: Ten years after. Cell 87:13–20;1996.