- Proximal sealing
Sealants are a successful tool in caries prevention, but their role in preventive strategies after the caries decline has to be discussed. A survey of paediatric departments across Europe revealed that indications for pit and fissure sealants vary considerably, both nationally and internationally. Evidence for effectiveness of sealants in controlling caries in posterior teeth implies that sealants should be an integrated part of management of pit and fissure caries. Still, the indication for occlusal sealants seems to be shifting from primary prevention to a therapeutic decision for caries management of lesions in enamel and the outer part of the dentine. Sealants are also an interesting concept for caries management in approximal surfaces. Clinical trials suggest that novel techniques of sealing or infiltrating approximal lesions show promise. However, approximal sealing techniques are as complex to apply and time-consuming as approximal fillings. The article proposes guidelines for teaching on the use of sealants.
Copyright © 2009 S. Karger AG, Basel
- Ahovuo-Saloranta A, Hiiri A, Nordblad A, Mäkelä M, Worthington HV: Pit and fissure sealants for preventing dental decay in the permanent teeth of children and adolescents. Cochrane Database Syst Rev 2008;4:CD001830.
- Alkilzy M, Berndt C, Meller C, Schidlowski M, Splieth CH: Sealing of proximal surfaces with polyurethane tape: a two-year clinical and radiographic feasibility study. J Adhes Dent 2009;11:91–94.
- Araujo AM, Naspitz GM, Chelotti A, Cai S: Effect of Cervitec on mutans streptococci in plaque and on caries formation on occlusal fissures of erupting permanent molars. Caries Res 2002;36:373–376.
- Beiruti N, Frencken JE, van’t Hof MA, van Palenstein Helderman WH: Caries preventive effect of resin-based and glass ionomer sealants over time: a systematic review. Community Dent Oral Epidemiol 2006;34:403–409.
- Bratthall D, Hänsel-Petersson G, Sundberg H: Reasons for the caries decline: what do the experts believe? Eur J Oral Sci 1996;104:416–422, discussion 423–425, 430–432.
- Carvalho JC, Ekstrand KR, Thylstrup A: Dental plaque and caries on occlusal surfaces of first permanent molars in relation to stage of eruption. J Dent Res 1989;68:773–779.
- Carvalho JC, Ekstrand KR, Thylstrup A: Results after 1 year of non-operative occlusal caries treatment of erupting permanent first molars. Community Dent Oral Epidemiol 1991;19:23–28.
- Carvalho JC, Thylstrup A, Ekstrand KR: Results after 3 years of non-operative occlusal caries treatment of erupting permanent first molars. Community Dent Oral Epidemiol 1992;20:187–192.
- Davila JM, Buonocore MG, Greeley CB, Provenza DV: Adhesive penetration in human artificial and natural white spots. J Dent Res 1975;54:999–1008.
- Donly KJ, Ruiz M: In vitro demineralization inhibition of enamel caries utilizing an unfilled resin. Clin Prev Dent 1992;14:22–24.
- Ekstrand KR, Christiansen MEC: Outcome of a non-operative caries treatment programme for children and adolescents. Caries Res 2005;39:455–467.
- Ekstrand KR, Christiansen MEC: Nexø-metoden set i et sundhedsfremmende perspektiv. Tandlægebladet 2008;112:112–123.
- Ekstrand KR, Martignon S, Christiansen MEC: Frequency and distribution patterns of sealants among 15-year-olds in Denmark in 2003. Community Dent Health 2007a;24:26–30.
- Ekstrand KR, Martignon S, Ricketts DJ, Qvist V: Detection and activity assessment of primary coronal caries lesions: a methodologic study. Oper Dent 2007b;32:225–235.
- Ekstrand KR, Bakhshandeh A, Martignon S: Treatment of proximal superficial caries lesions on primary molar teeth with resin infiltration and fluoride varnish versus fluoride varnish only: Efficacy after 1 year. Caries Res 2010, in press.
- Garçía-Godoy F, Summitt JB, Donly KJ: Caries progression of white spot lesions sealed with an unfilled resin. J Clin Pediatr Dent 1997;21:141–143.
- Goepferd SJ, Olberding P: The effect of sealing white spot lesions on lesion progression in vitro. Pediatr Dent 1989;11:14–16.
- Gomez SS, Basili CP, Emilson CG: A 2-year clinical evaluation of sealed noncavitated approximal posterior carious lesions in adolescents. Clin Oral Invest 2005;9:239–243.
- Gray GB, Shellis RP: Infiltration of resin into white spot caries-like lesions of enamel: an in vitro study. Eur J Prosthodont Restor Dent 2002;10:27–32.
- Griffin SO, Oong E, Kohn W, Vidakovic B, Gooch BF; CDC Dental Sealant Systematic Review Group; Bader J, Clarkson J, Fontana MR, Meyer DM, Rozier RG, Weintraub JA, Zero DT: The effectiveness of sealants in managing caries lesions. J Dent Res 2008;87:169–174.
- Heyduck C, Meller C, Schwahn C, Splieth CH: Effectiveness of sealants in adolescents with high and low caries experience. Caries Res 2006;40:375–381.
- Hiiri A, Ahovuo-Saloranta A, Nordblad A, Mäkelä M: Pit and fissure sealants versus fluoride varnishes for preventing dental decay in children and adolescents. Cochrane Database Syst Rev 2006;4:CD003067.
- Innes NP, Evans DJ, Stirrups DR: The Hall Technique: a randomized controlled clinical trial of a novel method of managing carious primary molars in general dental practice: acceptability of the technique and outcomes at 23 months. BMC Oral Health 2007;7:18.
- Ismail AI, Sohn W, Tellez M, Amaya A, Sen A, Hasson H, Pitts NB: The International Caries Detection and Assessment System (ICDAS): an integrated system for measuring dental caries. Community Dent Oral Epidemiol 2007;35:170–178.
- Jensen OE, Handelman SL: Effect of an autopolymerising sealant on viability of microflora in occlusal dental caries. Scand J Dent Res 1980;88:382–388.
- Kidd EA, Fejerskov O: What constitutes dental caries? Histopathology of carious enamel and dentin related to the action of cariogenic biofilms. J Dent Res 2004;83(special issue C):C35–C38.
- Marinho VC, Higgins JP, Logan S, Sheiham A: Fluoride gels for preventing dental caries in children and adolescents. Cochrane Database Syst Rev 2002;2:CD002280.
- Marinho VC, Higgins JP, Sheiham A, Logan S: Fluoride toothpastes for preventing dental caries in children and adolescents. Cochrane Database Syst Rev 2003;1:CD002278.
- Marthaler TM, O’Mullane DM, Vrbic V: The prevalence of dental caries in Europe 1990–1995. ORCA Saturday Afternoon Symposium 1995. Caries Res 1996;30:237–255.
- Martignon S, Chavarria N, Ekstrand KR: Caries status and proximal lesion behaviour during a 6-year period in young adult Danes: an epidemiological investigation. Clin Oral Investig DOI: 10.1007/s00784-009-0306-0.
- Martignon S, Ekstrand K, Ellwood R: Efficacy of sealing proximal early active lesions: an 18-month clinical study evaluated by conventional and subtraction radiography. Caries Res 2006;40:382–388.
- McDonald SP, Sheiham A: The distribution of caries on different tooth surfaces at varying levels of caries – a compilation of data from 18 previous studies. Community Dent Health 1992;9:39–48.
- Mejàre I, Källestål C, Stenlund H: Incidence and progression of approximal caries from 11 to 22 years of age in Sweden: a prospective radiographic study. Caries Res 1999;33:93–100.
- Mejàre I, Källestål C, Stenlund H, Johansson H: Caries development from 11 to 22 years of age: a prospective radiographic study. Prevalence and distribution. Caries Res 1998;32:10–16.
- Mejàre I, Lingström P, Petersson LG, Holm AK, Twetman S, Källestål C, Nordenram G, Lagerlöf F, Söder B, Norlund A, Axelsson S, Dahlgren H: Caries-preventive effect of fissure sealants: a systematic review. Acta Odontol Scand 2003;61:321–330.
- Mejàre I, Stenlund H, Zelezny-Holmlund C: Caries incidence and lesion progression from adolescence to young adulthood: a prospective 15-year cohort study in Sweden. Caries Res 2004;38:130–141.
- Mertz-Fairhurst EJ, Curtis JW Jr, Ergle JW, Rueggeberg FA, Adair SM: Ultraconservative and cariostatic sealed restorations: results at year 10. J Am Dent Assoc 1998;129:55–66.
- Meyer-Lueckel H, Mueller J, Paris S, Hummel M, Kielbassa AM: Penetration verschiedener Adhäsive in initialen Schmelzläsionen in vitro. Schweiz Monatsschr Zahnmed 2005;115:316–323.
- Meyer-Lueckel H, Paris S: Improved resin infiltration of caries lesions. J Dent Res 2008a;87:1112–1116.
- Meyer-Lueckel H, Paris S: Progression of artificial enamel caries lesions after infiltration with experimental light curing resins. Caries Res 2008b;42:122–128.
- Meyer-Lueckel H, Paris S, Kielbassa AM: Surface layer erosion of natural caries lesions with phosphoric and hydrochloric acid gels. Caries Res 2007;41:223–230.
- Mueller J, Meyer-Lueckel H, Paris S, Hopfenmuller W, Kielbassa AM: Inhibition of lesion progression by penetration of resins in vitro: influence of the application procedure. Oper Dent 2006;31:339–346.
- Oong EM, Griffin SO, Kohn WG, Gooch BF, Caufield PW: The effect of dental sealants on bacteria levels in caries lesions: a review of the evidence. J Am Dent Assoc 2008;139:271–278.
- Paris S, Hopfenmuller W, Meyer-Lueckel H: Resin infiltration of caries lesions: an efficacy randomized trial. J Dent Res 2009 (submitted).
- Paris S, Meyer-Lueckel H, Colfen H, Kielbassa AM: Resin infiltration of artificial enamel caries lesions with experimental light curing resins. Dent Mater J 2007a;26:582–588.
- Paris S, Meyer-Lueckel H, Kielbassa AM: Resin infiltration of natural caries lesions. J Dent Res 2007b;86:662–666.
- Paris S, Meyer-Lueckel H, Mueller J, Hummel M, Kielbassa AM: Progression of sealed initial bovine enamel lesions under demineralizing conditions in vitro. Caries Res 2006;40:124–129.
- Ricketts DN, Ekstrand KR, Martignon S, Ellwood R, Alatsaris M, Nugent Z: Accuracy and reproducibility of conventional radiographic assessment and subtraction radiography in detecting demineralization in occlusal surfaces. Caries Res 2007;41:121–128.
- Ricketts DN, Kidd EA, Innes N, Clarkson J: Complete or ultraconservative removal of decayed tissue in unfilled teeth. Cochrane Database Syst Rev 2006;3:CD003808.
- Robinson C, Brookes SJ, Kirkham J, Wood SR, Shore RC: In vitro studies of the penetration of adhesive resins into artificial caries-like lesions. Caries Res 2001;35:136–141.
- Robinson C, Hallsworth AS, Weatherell JA, Kunzel W: Arrest and control of carious lesions: a study based on preliminary experiments with resorcinol-formaldehyde resin. J Dent Res 1976;55:812–818.
- Rodda JC: Impregnation of caries-like lesions with dental resins. N Z Dent J 1983;79:114–117.
- Salar DV, García-Godoy F, Flaitz CM, Hicks MJ: Potential inhibition of demineralization in vitro by fluoride-releasing sealants. J Am Dent Assoc 2007;138:502–506.
- Schmidlin PR, Göhring TN, Roos M, Zehnder M: Wear resistance and surface roughness of a newly devised adhesive patch for sealing smooth enamel surfaces. Oper Dent 2006a;31:115–121.
- Schmidlin PR, Klück I, Zimmermann J, Roulet JF, Seemann R: Caries-preventive potential of an adhesive patch after thermomechanical loading: a microbial-based in vitro study. J Adhes Dent 2006b;8:7–12.
- Schmidlin PR, Zehnder M, Pasqualetti T, Imfeld T, Besek MJ: Penetration of a bonding agent into de- and remineralized enamel in vitro. J Adhes Dent 2004;6:111–115.
- Schmidlin PR, Zehnder M, Zimmermann MA, Zimmermann J, Roos M, Roulet JF: Sealing smooth enamel surfaces with a newly devised adhesive patch: a radiochemical in vitro analysis. Dent Mater 2005;21:545–550.
- Schwartz M, Gröndahl H-G, Pliskin S, Boffa J: A longitudinal analysis from bite-wing radiographs of the rate of progression of approximal carious lesions through human dental enamel. Arch Oral Biol 1984;29:529–536.
- Tagami J, Hosoda H, Fusayama T: Optimal techniques of etching enamel. Oper Dent 1988;13:181–184.
- Tanaka M, Matsunaga K, Kadoma Y: Use of fluoride-containing sealant on proximal surfaces. J Med Dent Sci 2000;47:49–53.
- WHO: Caries for 12-year-olds by country/area. WHO, 2003. http://www.whocollab.odont.lu.se/countriesalphab.html.
Prof. Dr. Christian H. Splieth
Präventive Zahnmedizin und Kinderzahnheilkunde
DE–17487 Greifswald (Germany)
Tel. +49 3834 867 101, Fax +49 3834 867 299, E-Mail firstname.lastname@example.org
Received: December 18, 2008
Accepted after revision: October 28, 2009
Published online: December 31, 2009
Number of Print Pages : 11
Number of Figures : 3, Number of Tables : 5, Number of References : 61
Vol. 44, No. 1, Year 2010 (Cover Date: March 2010)
Journal Editor: Shellis R.P. (Bristol)
ISSN: 0008-6568 (Print), eISSN: 1421-976X (Online)
For additional information: http://www.karger.com/CRE
Copyright / Drug Dosage / Disclaimer
Copyright: All rights reserved. No part of this publication may be translated into other languages, reproduced or utilized in any form or by any means, electronic or mechanical, including photocopying, recording, microcopying, or by any information storage and retrieval system, without permission in writing from the publisher or, in the case of photocopying, direct payment of a specified fee to the Copyright Clearance Center.
Drug Dosage: The authors and the publisher have exerted every effort to ensure that drug selection and dosage set forth in this text are in accord with current recommendations and practice at the time of publication. However, in view of ongoing research, changes in goverment regulations, and the constant flow of information relating to drug therapy and drug reactions, the reader is urged to check the package insert for each drug for any changes in indications and dosage and for added warnings and precautions. This is particularly important when the recommended agent is a new and/or infrequently employed drug.
Disclaimer: The statements, opinions and data contained in this publication are solely those of the individual authors and contributors and not of the publishers and the editor(s). The appearance of advertisements or/and product references in the publication is not a warranty, endorsement, or approval of the products or services advertised or of their effectiveness, quality or safety. The publisher and the editor(s) disclaim responsibility for any injury to persons or property resulting from any ideas, methods, instructions or products referred to in the content or advertisements.