To view the fulltext, please log in
To view the pdf, please log in
Copyright / Drug Dosage
Copyright: All rights reserved. No part of this publication may be translated into other languages, reproduced or utilized in any form or by any means, electronic or mechanical, including photocopying, recording, microcopying, or by any information storage and retrieval system, without permission in writing from the publisher or, in the case of photocopying, direct payment of a specified fee to the Copyright Clearance Center.
Drug Dosage: The authors and the publisher have exerted every effort to ensure that drug selection and dosage set forth in this text are in accord with current recommendations and practice at the time of publication. However, in view of ongoing research, changes in goverment regulations, and the constant flow of information relating to drug therapy and drug reactions, the reader is urged to check the package insert for each drug for any changes in indications and dosage and for added warnings and precautions. This is particularly important when the recommended agent is a new and/or infrequently employed drug.
Disclaimer: The statements, opinions and data contained in this publication are solely those of the individual authors and contributors and not of the publishers and the editor(s). The appearance of advertisements or/and product references in the publication is not a warranty, endorsement, or approval of the products or services advertised or of their effectiveness, quality or safety. The publisher and the editor(s) disclaim responsibility for any injury to persons or property resulting from any ideas, methods, instructions or products referred to in the content or advertisements.
- American Psychiatric Association: Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders, ed 3. Washington, APA Press, 1980.
- Belmaker RH, Agam G: Major depressive disorder. N Engl J Med 2008;358:55–68.
- Lichtenberg P, Belmaker RH: Deconstructing major depressive disorder. Front Neurosci 2009;3:234–235.
- Kessler RC, Berglund P, Demler O, Jin R, Koretz D, Merikangas KR, Rush AJ, Walters EE, Wang PS: The epidemiology of major depressive disorder: results from the National Comorbidity Survey Replication (NCS-R). JAMA 2003;289:3095–3105.
- Keller MC, Neale MC, Kendler KS: Association of different adverse life events with distinct patterns of depressive symptoms. Am J Psychiatry 2007;164:1521–1529, quiz 1622.
- Saxena S, Thornicroft G, Knapp M, Whiteford H: Resources for mental health: scarcity, inequity, and inefficiency. Lancet 2007;370:878–889.
- American Psychiatric Association: Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders, ed 4. Washington, APA Press, 1994.
- Wakefield JC, Schmitz MF, First MB, Horwitz AV: Extending the bereavement exclusion for major depression to other losses: evidence from the National Comorbidity Survey. Arch Gen Psychiatry 2007;64:433–440.
- Kirsch I, Deacon BJ, Huedo-Medina TB, Scoboria A, Moore TJ, Johnson BT: Initial severity and antidepressant benefits: a meta-analysis of data submitted to the Food and Drug Administration. PLoS Med 2008;5:e45.
- Turner EH, Matthews AM, Linardatos E, Tell RA, Rosenthal R: Selective publication of antidepressant trials and its influence on apparent efficacy. N Engl J Med 2008;358:252–260.
- Klein DF: The loss of serendipity in psychopharmacology. JAMA 2008;299:1063–1065.
- Kendler KS, Kuhn J, Prescott CA: The interrelationship of neuroticism, sex, and stressful life events in the prediction of episodes of major depression. Am J Psychiatry 2004;161:631–636.
- Ongur D, Farabaugh A, Iosifescu DV, Perlis R, Fava M: Tridimensional personality questionnaire factors in major depressive disorder: relationship to anxiety disorder comorbidity and age of onset. Psychother Psychosom 2005;74:173–178.
- Schinka JA, Busch RM, Robichaux-Keene N: A meta-analysis of the association between the serotonin transporter gene polymorphism (5-HTTLPR) and trait anxiety. Mol Psychiatry 2004;9:197–202.
- Levinson DF, Evgrafov OV, Knowles JA, Potash JB, Weissman MM, Scheftner WA, Depaulo JR Jr, Crowe RR, Murphy-Eberenz K, Marta DH, McInnis MG, Adams P, Gladis M, Miller EB, Thomas J, Holmans P: Genetics of recurrent early-onset major depression (GenRED): significant linkage on chromosome 15q25-q26 after fine mapping with single nucleotide polymorphism markers. Am J Psychiatry 2007;164:259–264.
- Montgomery SA, Baldwin DS, Blier P, Fineberg NA, Kasper S, Lader M, Lam RW, Lepine JP, Moller HJ, Nutt DJ, Rouillon F, Schatzberg AF, Thase ME: Which antidepressants have demonstrated superior efficacy? A review of the evidence. Int Clin Psychopharmacol 2007;22:323–329.
- Fink M, Bolwig TG, Parker G, Shorter E: Melancholia: restoration in psychiatric classification recommended. Acta Psychiatr Scand 2007;115:89–92.
- Taylor MA, Fink M: The Diagnosis, Pathophysiology and Treatment of Depressive Illness. New York, Cambridge University Press, 2006.
- Heim C, Mletzko T, Purselle D, Musselman DL, Nemeroff CB: The dexamethasone/corticotropin-releasing factor test in men with major depression: role of childhood trauma. Biol Psychiatry 2008;63:398–405.
- Nemeroff CB, Heim CM, Thase ME, Klein DN, Rush AJ, Schatzberg AF, Ninan PT, McCullough JP Jr, Weiss PM, Dunner DL, Rothbaum BO, Kornstein S, Keitner G, Keller MB: Differential responses to psychotherapy versus pharmacotherapy in patients with chronic forms of major depression and childhood trauma. Proc Natl Acad Sci USA 2003;100:14293–14296.
- Corruble E, Chouinard VA, Letierce A, Gorwood PA, Chouinard G: Is DSM-IV bereavement exclusion for major depressive episode relevant to severity and pattern of symptoms? A case-control, cross-sectional study. J Clin Psychiatry 2009;70:1091–1097.
- Munk-Olsen T, Laursen TM, Pedersen CB, Mors O, Mortensen PB: New parents and mental disorders: a population-based register study. JAMA 2006;296:2582–2589.
- Dennis CL, Hodnett E: Psychosocial and psychological interventions for treating postpartum depression. Cochrane Database Syst Rev 2007;4:CD006116.
- Taylor WD, Steffens DC, MacFall JR, McQuoid DR, Payne ME, Provenzale JM, Krishnan KR: White matter hyperintensity progression and late-life depression outcomes. Arch Gen Psychiatry 2003;60:1090–1096.
- Wallace AE, Kofoed LL, West AN: Double-blind, placebo-controlled trial of methylphenidate in older, depressed, medically ill patients. Am J Psychiatry 1995;152:929–931.
- Nelson JC, Davis JM: DST studies in psychotic depression: a meta-analysis. Am J Psychiatry 1997;154:1497–1503.
- Wijkstra J, Lijmer J, Balk FJ, Geddes JR, Nolen WA: Pharmacological treatment for unipolar psychotic depression: systematic review and meta-analysis. Br J Psychiatry 2006;188:410–415.
- Matza LS, Revicki DA, Davidson JR, Stewart JW: Depression with atypical features in the National Comorbidity Survey: classification, description, and consequences. Arch Gen Psychiatry 2003;60:817–826.
- Aron A, Fisher H, Mashek DJ, Strong G, Li H, Brown LL: Reward, motivation, and emotion systems associated with early-stage intense romantic love. J Neurophysiol 2005;94:327–337.
- Stewart JW, Tricamo E, McGrath PJ, Quitkin FM: Prophylactic efficacy of phenelzine and imipramine in chronic atypical depression: likelihood of recurrence on discontinuation after 6 months’ remission. Am J Psychiatry 1997;154:31–36.
- Benazzi F: Is there a continuity between bipolar and depressive disorders? Psychother Psychosom 2007;76:70–76.
- Henry C, M’Bailara K, Poinsot R, Casteret AA, Sorbara F, Leboyer M, Vieta E: Evidence for two types of bipolar depression using a dimensional approach. Psychother Psychosom 2007;76:325–331.
- Sachs GS, Nierenberg AA, Calabrese JR, Marangell LB, Wisniewski SR, Gyulai L, Friedman ES, Bowden CL, Fossey MD, Ostacher MJ, Ketter TA, Patel J, Hauser P, Rapport D, Martinez JM, Allen MH, Miklowitz DJ, Otto MW, Dennehy EB, Thase ME: Effectiveness of adjunctive antidepressant treatment for bipolar depression. N Engl J Med 2007;356:1711–1722.
- Belmaker RH: Treatment of bipolar depression. N Engl J Med 2007;356:1771–1773.
- Gijsman HJ, Geddes JR, Rendell JM, Nolen WA, Goodwin GM: Antidepressants for bipolar depression: a systematic review of randomized, controlled trials. Am J Psychiatry 2004;161:1537–1547.
- Young LT, Joffe RT, Robb JC, MacQueen GM, Marriott M, Patelis-Siotis I: Double-blind comparison of addition of a second mood stabilizer versus an antidepressant to an initial mood stabilizer for treatment of patients with bipolar depression. Am J Psychiatry 2000;157:124–126.
- Nunes EV, Liu X, Samet S, Matseoane K, Hasin D: Independent versus substance-induced major depressive disorder in substance-dependent patients: observational study of course during follow-up. J Clin Psychiatry 2006;67:1561–1567.
- Dohrenwend BP: Inventorying stressful life events as risk factors for psychopathology: Toward resolution of the problem of intracategory variability. Psychol Bull 2006;132:477–495.
- Maj M: Are we able to differentiate between true mental disorders and homeostatic reactions to adverse life events? Psychother Psychosom 2007;76:257–259.
- Horwitz AV, Wakefield JC: The Loss of Sadness. New York, Oxford University Press, 2007.
- Lichtenberg P, Belmaker RH: Classification; in Puri B, Treasaden I (eds): Psychiatry: An Evidence Based Text for the MRCPsych. London, Hodder Arnold, in press.
- Paykel ES: Classification of depressed patients: a cluster analysis derived grouping. Br J Psychiatry 1971;118:275–288.
- Fava M, Evins AE, Dorer DJ, Schoenfeld DA: The problem of the placebo response in clinical trials for psychiatric disorders: culprits, possible remedies, and a novel study design approach. Psychother Psychosom 2003;72:115–127.
- Belmaker RH: Comment on: ‘Antidepressant medications and other treatments of depressive disorders: a CINP Task Force report based on a review of evidence’. Int J Neuropsychopharmacol 2008;11:577–578, author reply 579–582.