To view the fulltext, please log in
To view the pdf, please log in
Background: The dermoscopic patterns of pigmented skin tumors are influenced by the body site. Objective: To evaluate the clinical and dermoscopic features associated with pigmented vulvar lesions. Methods: Retrospective analysis of clinical and dermoscopic images of vulvar lesions. The χ2 test was used to test the association between clinical data and histopathological diagnosis. Results: A total of 42 (32.8%) melanocytic and 86 (67.2%) nonmelanocytic vulvar lesions were analyzed. Nevi significantly prevailed in younger women compared with melanomas and melanosis and exhibited most commonly a globular/cobblestone (51.3%) and a mixed (21.6%) pattern. Dermoscopically all melanomas showed a multicomponent pattern. Melanotic macules showed clinical overlapping features with melanoma, but their dermoscopic patterns differed significantly from those observed in melanomas. Conclusion: The diagnosis and management of pigmented vulvar lesions should be based on a good clinicodermoscopic correlation. Dermoscopy may be helpful in the differentiation of solitary melanotic macules from early melanoma.
Copyright / Drug Dosage
Copyright: All rights reserved. No part of this publication may be translated into other languages, reproduced or utilized in any form or by any means, electronic or mechanical, including photocopying, recording, microcopying, or by any information storage and retrieval system, without permission in writing from the publisher or, in the case of photocopying, direct payment of a specified fee to the Copyright Clearance Center.
Drug Dosage: The authors and the publisher have exerted every effort to ensure that drug selection and dosage set forth in this text are in accord with current recommendations and practice at the time of publication. However, in view of ongoing research, changes in goverment regulations, and the constant flow of information relating to drug therapy and drug reactions, the reader is urged to check the package insert for each drug for any changes in indications and dosage and for added warnings and precautions. This is particularly important when the recommended agent is a new and/or infrequently employed drug.
Disclaimer: The statements, opinions and data contained in this publication are solely those of the individual authors and contributors and not of the publishers and the editor(s). The appearance of advertisements or/and product references in the publication is not a warranty, endorsement, or approval of the products or services advertised or of their effectiveness, quality or safety. The publisher and the editor(s) disclaim responsibility for any injury to persons or property resulting from any ideas, methods, instructions or products referred to in the content or advertisements.
- Hosler GA, Moresi JM, Barrett TL: Naevi with site-related atypia: a review of melanocytic naevi with atypical histological features based on anatomic site. J Cutan Pathol 2008;35:889–898.
- Irvin PW, Legallo RL, Stoler MH, Rice LW, Taylor PT Jr, Andersen WA: Vulvar melanoma: a retrospective analysis and literature review. Gynecol Oncol 2001;83:457–465.
- Wechter ME, Gruber SB, Haefner HK, Lowe L, Schwartz JL, Reynolds KR, Johnston CM, Johnson TM: Vulvar melanoma: a report of 20 cases and a review of the literature. J Am Acad Dermatol 2004;50:554–562.
- Lotem M, Anteby S, Peretz T, Ingber A, Avinoach I, Prus D: Mucosal melanoma of the female genital tract is a multifocal disorder. Gynecol Oncol 2003;88:45–50.
- Ragnarsson-Olding B: Primary malignant melanoma of the vulva. Acta Oncol 2004;43:421–435.
- De Simone P, Silipo V, Buccini P, Mariani G, Marenda S, Eibenschutz L, Ferrari A, Catricalà Cl: Vulvar melanoma: a report of 10 cases and a review of the literature. Melanoma Res 2008;18:127–133.
- Gleason BC, Hirsch MS, Nucci MR, Schmidt BA, Zembowicz A, Mihim MC Jr, McKee PH, Brenn T: Atypical genital nevi: a clinicopathologic analysis of 56 cases. Am J Surg Pathol 2008;32:51–57.
- Ribè A: Melanocytic lesions of the genital area with attention given to atypical genital nevi. J Cutan Pathol 2008;35:24–27.
- Bafounta ML, Beauchet A, Aegerter P, Saiag P: Is dermoscopy (epiluminescence microscopy) useful for the diagnosis of melanoma? Results of a meta-analysis using techniques adapted to the evaluation of diagnostic tests. Arch Dermatol 2001;137:1343–1350.
- Kittler H, Pehamberger H, Wolff K, Binder M: Diagnostic accuracy of dermoscopy. Lancet Oncol 2002;3:159–165.
- Argenziano G, Soyer HP, Chimenti S, Talamini R, Corona R, Sera F, Binder M, Cerroni L, De Rosa G, Ferrara G, Hofmann-Wellenhof R, Landthaler M, Menzies SW, Pehamberger H, Piccolo D, Rabinovitz HS, Schiffner R, Staibano S, Stolz W, Bartenjev I, Blum A, Braun R, Cabo H, Carli P, de Giorgi V, Fleming MG, Grichnik JM, Grin CM, Halpern AC, Johr R, Katz B, Kenet RO, Kittler H, Kreusch J, Malvehy J, Mazzocchetti G, Oliviero M, Ozdemir F, Peris K, Perotti R, Perusquia A, Pizzichetta MA, Puig S, Rao B, Rubegni P, Saida T, Scalvenzi M, Seidenari S, Stanganelli I, Tanaka M, Westerhoff K, Wolf IH, Braun-Falco O, Kerl H, Nishikawa T, Wolff K, Kopf AW: Dermoscopy of pigmented skin lesions: results of a consensus meeting via the internet. J Am Acad Dermatol 2003;48:679–693.
- Vestergaard ME, Macaskill P, Holt S, Menzies SW: Dermoscopy compared with naked eye examination for the diagnosis of primary melanoma: a meta-analysis of studies performed in a clinical setting. Br J Dermatol 2008;159:669–676.
- Mannone F, de Giorgi V, Cattaneo A, Massi D, de Magnis A, Carli P: Dermoscopic features of mucosal melanosis. Dermatol Surg 2004;30:1118–1123.
- Ferrari A, Buccini P, Covello R, de Simone P, Silipo V, Mariani G, Eibenschutz L, Mariani L, Catricalà C: The ringlike pattern in vulvar melanosis. Arch Dermatol 2008;144:1–6.
- De Giorgi V, Massi D, Salvini C, Mannone F, Cattaneo A, Carli P: Thin melanoma of the vulva: a clinical, dermoscopic-pathologic case study. Arch Dermatol 2005;141:1046–1047.
- De Giorgi V, Massi D, Mannone F, Checcucci V, de Magnis A, Sestini S, Papi F, Lotti T: Dermoscopy in vulvar basal cell carcinoma. Arch Dermatol 2007;143:426–427.
- Zalaudek I, Manzo M, Ferrara G, Argenziano G: A new classification of melanocytic nevi based on dermoscopy. Expert Rev Dermatol 2008;3:477–489.
- Lin J, Koga H, Takata M, Saida T: Dermoscopy of pigmented lesions on mucocutaneous junction and mucous membrane. Br J Dermatol 2009;161:1255–1261.
- Virgili A, Zampino MR, Marzola A, Corazza M: Vulvar melanocytic nevi: a dermoscopic investigation. Dermatology 2010;221:55–62.
- Ronger-Savle S, Julien V, Duru G, Raudrant D, Dalle S, Thomas L: Features of pigmented vulvar lesions on dermatoscopy. Br J Dermatol 2011;164:54–61
- Soyer HP, Argenziano G, Chimenti S, Ruocco V: Dermoscopy of pigmented skin lesions. Eur J Dermatol 2001;11:270–277.
- Argenziano G, Soyer HP, de Giorgi V, Piccolo D, Carli P, Delfino M, Ferrari A, Hofmann-Wellenhof R, Massi D, Mazzocchetti G, Scalvenzi M, Wolf IH: Interactive Atlas on Dermoscopy. Milan, EDRA Medical Publishing and New Media, 2001.
- Rock B, Hood AF, Rock JA: Prospective study of vulvar nevi. J Am Acad Dermatol 1990;22:104–106.
- Stolz W, Braun-Falco O, Bilek P, Landthaler M, Burgdorf WHC, Cognetta AB: Pigmented lesions on the mucosa; in Stolz W, Braun-Falco O, Bilek P, Landthaler M, Burgdorf WHC, Cognetta AB (eds): Color Atlas of Dermoscopy, ed 2. Berlin, Blackwell Publishing, 2002, pp 151–154.
- Virgili A, Zampino MR, Corazza M: Primary vulvar melanoma with satellite metastasis: dermoscopic findings. Dermatology 2004;208:145–148.
- Puig S, Malvehy J: Criterios dermatoscopicos de las lesiones pigmentadas en las mucosas; in J Malvehy, Puig S (eds): Principios de dermatoscopia. Barcelona, 2009, pp 321–332.
- Wolf IH: Melanocytic nevi on the genitalia and other melanocytic nevi in other locations; in Soyer HP, Argenziano G, Hofmann-Wellenhof R, Johr R (eds): Color Atlas of Melanocytic Lesions of the Skin. Berlin, Springer, 2007, pp 119–123.
- Lozzi GP, Piccolo D, Micantonio T, Altamura D, Peris K: Early melanomas dermoscopically characterized by reticular depigmentation. Arch Dermatol 2007;143:808–809.