To view the fulltext, please log in
To view the pdf, please log in
Geriatrics and law may not be natural bedfellows. Moreover, law and lawyers were not part of the professions that were the ‘founding fathers’ of the field of geriatrics. In this short viewpoint we invite the readers to consider a new inter-disciplinary research approach that attempts to combine jurisprudence with geriatrics. Geriatric jurisprudence is a special and timely opportunity for doctors and lawyers to come together in a new, different and more united way to jointly conceptualize a medico-legal theory of aging to better serve our shared community: older and aging persons.
Copyright / Drug Dosage
Copyright: All rights reserved. No part of this publication may be translated into other languages, reproduced or utilized in any form or by any means, electronic or mechanical, including photocopying, recording, microcopying, or by any information storage and retrieval system, without permission in writing from the publisher or, in the case of photocopying, direct payment of a specified fee to the Copyright Clearance Center.
Drug Dosage: The authors and the publisher have exerted every effort to ensure that drug selection and dosage set forth in this text are in accord with current recommendations and practice at the time of publication. However, in view of ongoing research, changes in goverment regulations, and the constant flow of information relating to drug therapy and drug reactions, the reader is urged to check the package insert for each drug for any changes in indications and dosage and for added warnings and precautions. This is particularly important when the recommended agent is a new and/or infrequently employed drug.
Disclaimer: The statements, opinions and data contained in this publication are solely those of the individual authors and contributors and not of the publishers and the editor(s). The appearance of advertisements or/and product references in the publication is not a warranty, endorsement, or approval of the products or services advertised or of their effectiveness, quality or safety. The publisher and the editor(s) disclaim responsibility for any injury to persons or property resulting from any ideas, methods, instructions or products referred to in the content or advertisements.
- Wilson JP: Geriatrics and the law. Gerontology 1967;9:235–254.
- Doron I, Hoffman A: Time for law: legal literacy and gerontological education. Educ Gerontol 2005;31:627–642.
- Achenbaum WA: Crossing Frontiers: Gerontology Emerges as a Science. Cambridge, Cambridge University Press, 1995.
- Frolik LA: Developing field of elder law: a historical perspective. Elder Law J 1993;1:1.
- Eglit HC: Elders on Trial: Age and Ageism in the American Legal System. Gainesville, University Press of Florida, 2004.
- McDonald A, Taylor M: Older People and the Law. Bristol, The Policy Press, 2006,
- Bruce EA: Integrating case law into social gerontology course work. Gerontol Geriatr Educ 2001;21:25–37.
- Kapp MB: The Law and Older Persons: Is Geriatric Jurisprudence Therapeutic? Durham, Carolina Academic Press, 2003.
- Cohen ES: Editorial: Law and aging, lawyers and gerontologists. Gerontologist 1978;18:229.
- Bracci C: Ties that bind: Ontario’s filial responsibility law. Can J Fam Law 2000;17:455.
- Clancy M, McDaid B, O’Neill D, O’Brien JG: National profiling of elder abuse referrals. Age Ageing 2011;40:346.
- Quinn T: Emergency hospital admissions from care-homes: who, why and what happens? A cross-sectional study. Gerontology 2011;57:115–120.
- White S, O’Neill D: Health and relicensing policies for older drivers in the European Union. Gerontology 2000;46:146–152.
- Laakkonen ML, Pitkala KH, Strandberg TE, Berglind S, Tilvis RS: Living will, resuscitation preferences, and attitudes towards life in an aged population. Gerontology 2004;50:247–254.
- Ferraro KF: Is gerontology interdisciplinary? J Gerontol B Psychol Sci Soc Sci 2007;62:S2
- Doron I, Apter I: The debate around the need for an international convention on the rights of older persons. Gerontologist 2010;50:586–593.
- Rodriguez-Pinzon D, Martin C: International human rights status of elderly persons. Am Univ Int Law Rev 2002;18:915.
- Mégret F: The human rights of older persons: a growing challenge. Hum Rights Law Rev 2011;11:37–66.