To view the fulltext, please log in
To view the pdf, please log in
The pulmonary circulation harbors a large intravascular reservoir of leukocytes refered to as the Marginated Pool. This marginated pool is balanced by propeling and retaining forces acting on leukocytes during their passage through the pulmonary circulation. The present paper discusses these factors and their underlying mechanisms.
Copyright / Drug Dosage
Copyright: All rights reserved. No part of this publication may be translated into other languages, reproduced or utilized in any form or by any means, electronic or mechanical, including photocopying, recording, microcopying, or by any information storage and retrieval system, without permission in writing from the publisher or, in the case of photocopying, direct payment of a specified fee to the Copyright Clearance Center.
Drug Dosage: The authors and the publisher have exerted every effort to ensure that drug selection and dosage set forth in this text are in accord with current recommendations and practice at the time of publication. However, in view of ongoing research, changes in goverment regulations, and the constant flow of information relating to drug therapy and drug reactions, the reader is urged to check the package insert for each drug for any changes in indications and dosage and for added warnings and precautions. This is particularly important when the recommended agent is a new and/or infrequently employed drug.
Disclaimer: The statements, opinions and data contained in this publication are solely those of the individual authors and contributors and not of the publishers and the editor(s). The appearance of advertisements or/and product references in the publication is not a warranty, endorsement, or approval of the products or services advertised or of their effectiveness, quality or safety. The publisher and the editor(s) disclaim responsibility for any injury to persons or property resulting from any ideas, methods, instructions or products referred to in the content or advertisements.
- Andrewes FW: The behaviour of the leucocytes in infection and immunity. Lecture I. Lancet 1910;i:1737–1743.
- Andrewes FW: The behaviour of the leukocytes in infection and immunity. Lecture II. Lancet 1910;ii:8–16.
- Bruce D: The disappearance of the leukocytes from the blood after injecton of peptone. JR Soc Med 1894;294–299.
- Goldscheider A, Jacob P: Über die Variationen der Leukocytose. Z Klin Med 1894;25:373–448.
- Forssmann W: Münchener Medizinische Wochenschrift/20 March 1931: Contrast representation of the cavities of the living right half of the heart by Werner Forssmann, Eberswalde. MMW 1978;120:489.
- Cournand A, Baldwin JS, Himmelstein A: Cardiac catheterization in congenital heart disease. New York, Commonwealth Fund, 1949.
- Bierman HR, Byron RL Jr, Kelly KH, Petraki NL: The lung removal mechanism for leukocytes. Blood 1951;6:770–771.
- Bierman HR, Kelly KH, Cordes FL, Petrakis NL, Kass H, Shpil EL: The influence of respiratory movements upon the circulating leukocytes. Blood 1952;7:533–544.
- Bierman HR, Kelly KH, Petrakis NL, Cordes F, Foster M, Lose EA: The effect of intravenous histamine administration on the level of the white blood count in the peripheral blood. Blood 1951;6:926–935.
- Bierman HR, Kelly KH, Cordes FL, Byron RL Jr, Polhemus J, Rappoport S: The release of leukocytes and platelets from the pulmonary circulation by epinephrine. Blood 1952;7:683–692.
- Athens JW, Mauer AM, Ashenbrucker H, Cartwright GE, Wintrobe MM: Leukocyte kinetic studies. I. A method for labelling leukocytes with diisopropylfluorophosphate (DFP32). Blood 1959;14:303–333.
- Martin BA, Wright JL, Thommasen H, Hogg JC: Effect of pulmonary blood flow on the exchange between the circulating and marginating pool of polymorphonuclear leukocytes in dog lungs. J Clin Invest 1982;69:1277–1285.
- Ohgami M, Doerschuk CM, English D, Dodek PM, Hogg JC: Kinetics of radiolabeled neutrophils in swine. J Appl Physiol 1989;66:1881–1885.
- Schütte H, Rosseau S, Walmrath D, Grimminger F, Ernst C, Seeger W: Neutrophil passage through isolated perfused rabbit lungs. Am J Physiol 1991;261:H1317–H1323.
- Doerschuk CM, Allard MF, Martin BA, MacKenzie A, Autor AP, Hogg JC: Marginated pool of neutrophils in rabbit lungs. J Appl Physiol 1987;63:1806–1815.
- MacNee W, Wiggs B, Belzberg AS, Hogg JC: The effect of cigarette smoking on neutrophil kinetics in human lungs. N Engl J Med 1989;321:924–928.
- Muir AL, Cruz M, Martin BA, Thommasen H, Belzberg A, Hogg JC: Leukocyte kinetics in the human lung: Role of exercise and catecholamines. J Appl Physiol 1984;57:711–719.
- Hogg JC, Doerschuk CM, Wiggs B, Minshall D: Neutrophil retention during a single transit through the pulmonary circulation. J Appl Physiol 1992;73:1683–1685.
- Athens JW, Haab OP, Raab SO, Mauer AM, Ashenbrucker H, Cartwright GE, Wintrobe MM: Leukocyte studies. IV. The total blood, circulating and marginated granulocyte pools and the granulocyte turnover rate in normal subjects. J Clin Invest 1961;40:989–995.
- Martin BA, Wiggs BR, Lee S, Hogg JC: Regional differences in neutrophil margination in dog lungs. J Appl Physiol 1987;63:1253–1261.
- Forsyth K, Levinsky R: Preparative procedures of cooling and rewarming increase leukocyte integrin expression and function on neutrophils. J Immunol Meth 1990;128:159–163.
- Haslett C, Guthrie LA, Kopaniak MM, Johnston RB, Henson PM: Modulation of multiple neutrophil functions by preparative methods or trace concentrations of bacterial lipopolysaccharide. Am J Path 1985;119:101–110.
- Saverymuttu SA, Peters AM, Danpure HJ, Reavy HJ, Osman S, Lavender JP: Lung transit of 111indium labelled granulocytes: Relationship to labelling techniques. Scand J Haematol 1983;30:151–160.
- Malpighi M: De pulmonibus, Epistle II. Bologna, 1661, Translation by J. Young. Proc Roy Soc Med 1929;23:7.
- Terry RJ: A thoracic window for observation of the lung in a living animal. Science 1939;90:43–44.
- Wagner WW, Latham LP, Gillespie MN, Guenther JP: Direct measurement of pulmonary capillary transit times. Science 1982;218:379–381.
- Wagner WW, Filley GF: Microscopic observation of the lung in vivo. Vasc Dis 1965;2:229–241.
- Lien DC, Wagner WW, Capen RL, Haslett C, Hanson WL, Hofmeister SE, Henson PM, Worthen GS: Physiological neutrophil sequestration in the lung: Visual evidence for localization in capillaries. J Appl Physiol 1987;62:1236–1243.
- Lien DC, Worthen GS, Capen RL, Hanson WL, Checkley LL, Janke SJ, Henson PM, Wagner WW: Neutrophil kinetics in the pulmonary microcirculation. Effects of pressure and flow in the dependent lung. Am Rev Respir Dis 1990;141:953–959.
- Kuhnle GEH, Leipfinger FH, Goetz AE: Measurement of microhemodynamics in the ventilated rabbit lung by intravital fluorescence microscopy. J Appl Physiol 1993;74:1462–1471.
- Kuebler WM, Kuhnle GEH, Groh J, Goetz AE: Leukocyte kinetics in pulmonary microcirculation: Intravital fluorescence microscopic study. J Appl Physiol 1994;76:65–71.
- Baatz H, Steinbauer M, Harris AG, Krombach F: Kinetics of white blood cell staining by intravascular administration of rhodamine 6G. Int J Microcirc Clin Exp 1995;15:85–91.
- Zimmerhackl B, Parekh N, Brinkhus H, Steinhausen M: The use of fluorescent labeled erythrocytes for intravital investigation of flow and local hematocrit in glomerular capillaries in the rat. Int J Microcirc Clin Exp 1983;2:119–129.
- Kuhnle GEH, Kuebler WM, Groh J, Goetz AE: Effect of blood flow on leukocyte-endothelium interaction in pulmonary microvessels. Am J Respir Crit Care Med 1995;152:1221–1228.
- Hogg JC: Neutrophil kinetics and lung injury. Physiol Rev 1987;67:1249–1295.
- Siam S, Henderson R, Horsfield K, Harding K, Cumming G: Morphometry of the human pulmonary arterial tree. Circ Res 1973;23:190–197.
- Kuebler WM: In vivo Analyse der Leukozyten-Kinetik in der pulmonalen Mikrozirkulation. München, Hieronymus Buchreproduktions GmbH, 1997.
- Kuebler WM, Kuhnle GEH, Goetz AE: Leukocyte margination in alveolar capillary networks: Relationship to functional capillary morphology and microhemodynamics. J Vasc Res 1999;36:282–288.
- Doerschuk CM, Beyers N, Coxson HO, Wiggs B, Hogg JC: Comparison of neutrophil and capillary diameters and their relation to neutrophil sequestration in the lung. J Appl Physiol 1993;74:3040–3045.
- Staub NC, Schultz EL: Pulmonary capillary length in dog, cat and rabbit. Respir Physiol 1968;5:371–378.
- Weibel ER: Morphometry of the human lung. New York, Academic Press, 1963.
- Hanger CC, Wagner WW, Janke SJ, Lloyd TC, Capen RL: Computer simulation of neutrophil transit through the pulmonary capillary bed. J Appl Physiol 1993;74:1647–1652.
- Gebb SA, Graham JA, Hanger CC, Godbey PS, Capen RL, Doerschuk CM, Wagner WW: Sites of leukocyte sequestration in the pulmonary microcirculation. J Appl Physiol 1995;79:493–497.
- Wiggs BR, English D, Quinlan WM, Doyle NA, Hogg JC, Doerschuk CM: Contributions of capillary pathway size and neutrophil deformability to neutrophil transit through rabbit lungs. J Appl Physiol 1994;77:463–470.
- Chien S: Role of blood cells in microcirculatory regulation. Microvasc Res 1985;29:129–151.
- Downey GP, Doherty DE, Schwab B, Elson EL, Henson PM, Worthen GS: Retention of leukocytes in capillaries: Role of cell size and deformability. J Appl Physiol 1990;69:1767–1778.
- Schmid-Schönbein GW, Sung KLP, Tözeren H, Skalak R, Chien S: Passive mechanical properties of human leukocytes. Biophys J 1981;36:243–256.
- Warnke KC, Skalak TC: The effects of leukocytes on blood flow in a model skeletal muscle capillary network. Microvasc Res 1990;40:118–136.
- Staub NC, Schultz EL, Albertine KH: Leukocytes and pulmonary microvascular injury. Ann NY Acad Sci 1982;384:332–343.
- Koyama T, Kikuchi Y, Horimoto M, Kakiuchi Y, Tsushima N, Nitta J: White blood cell adhesion to endothelium and rheological behaviour in microvessels of overinflated frog’s lung. Biorheology 1982;19:221–228.
- Hogg JC, McLean T, Martin BA, Wiggs B: Erythrocyte transit and neutrophil concentration in the dog lung. J Appl Physiol 1988;65:1217–1225.
- Downey GP, Worthen GS, Henson PM, Hyde DM: Neutrophil sequestration and migration in localized pulmonary inflammation. Capillary localization and migration across the interalveolar septum. Am Rev Respir Dis 1993;147:168–176.
- Tuder RM, Voelkel NF: Pulmonary hypertension and inflammation. J Lab Clin Med 1998;132:16–24.
- Kuebler WM, Kuppe H: Zelluläre Pathophysiologie der pulmonalen Hypertonie. Zeitschrift für Herz-, Thorax- und Gefässchirurgie. In press.
- Kuebler WM, Ying X, Singh B, Issekutz AC, Bhattacharya J: Pressure is pro-inflammatory in lung venular capillaries. J Clin Invest 1999;104:495–502.
- Armstead VE, Minchenko AG, Campbell B, Lefer AM: P-selectin is upregulated in vital organs during murine traumatic shock. FASEB J 1997;11:1271–1279.
- Dutrochet MH: Recherches anatomiques et physiologiques sur la structure intime des animaux et des vegetaux, et sur leur motilité. Paris, Baillière et Fils, 1824.
- Cohnheim J: Inflammation. Lectures in general pathology, vol. 1. London, New Syderman Society, 1889.
- Atherton A, Born GV: Quantitative investigations of the adhesiveness of circulating polymorphonuclear leukocytes to blood vessel walls. J Physiol 1972;222:447–474.
- Atherton A, Born GVR: Relationship between the velocity of rolling granulocytes and that of the blood flow in venules. J Physiol 1973;233:157–165.
- Mayrovitz HN, Tuma RF, Wiedeman MP: Leukocyte adherence in arterioles following extravascular tissue trauma. Microvasc Res 1980;20:264–274.
- Mayrovitz HN: Leukocyte rolling: A prominent feature of venules in intact skin of anesthetized mice. Am J Physiol 1992;262:H157–H161.
- Nolte D, Schmid P, Jäger U, Botzlar A, Roesken F, Hecht R, Uhl E, Messmer K, Vestweber D: Leukocyte rolling in venules of striated muscle and skin is mediated by P-selectin, not by L-selectin. Am J Physiol 1994;267:H1637–H1642.
- Kuebler WM, Kuhnle GEH, Groh J, Sckell A, Goetz AE: Increased leukocyte sequestration in alveolar capillaries in low flow state is due to retarded entry into narrow capillary segments; in Messmer K, Kuebler WM (eds): 6th World Congress for Microcirculation. Bologna, Monduzzi Editore, 1996, pp 755–759.
- Downey GP, Worthen GS: Neutrophil retention in model capillaries: Deformability, geometry, and hydrodynamic forces. J Appl Physiol 1988;65:1861–1871.
- West JB, Dollery CT, Naimark A: Distribution of blood flow in isolated lung: Relation to vascular and alveolar pressures. J Appl Physiol 1964;19:713–724.
- Kuebler WM, Abels C, Schuerer L, Goetz AE: Measurement of neutrophil content in brain and lung tissue by a modified myeloperoxidase assay. Int J Microcirc Clin Exp 1996;16:89–97.
- Markos J, Hooper RO, Kavanagh-Gray D, Wiggs B, Hogg JC: Effect of raised alveolar pressure on leukocyte retention in the human lung. J Appl Physiol 1990;69:214–221.
- Goetz AE, Kuebler WM, Kuhnle G, Groh J, Ney L, Peter K: Positive pressure ventilation promotes leukocyte retention in alveolar capillaries. Anesthesiology 1996;85:A210.
- Permutt S, Bromberger-Barnea B, Bane HN: Alveolar pressure, pulmonary venous pressure and the vascular waterfall. Med Thorac 1962;19:239–260.
- Permutt S, Riley RL: Hemodynamics of collapsible vessels with tone: The vascular waterfall. J Appl Physiol 1963;18:924–932.
- Ley K, Linnemann G, Meinen M, Stoolman LM, Gaehtgens P: Fucoidin, but not yeast polyphosphomannan PPME, inhibits leukocyte rolling in venules of the rat mesentery. Blood 1993;81:177–185.
- Kuebler WM, Kuhnle GEH, Groh J, Goetz AE: Contribution of selectins to sequestration of leukocytes in pulmonary microvessels by intravital microscopy in rabbits. J Physiol 1997;501:375–386.
- Kuebler WM, Borges J, Sckell A, Kuhnle GEH, Bergh K, Messmer K, Goetz AE: Role of L-selectin in leukocyte sequestration in lung capillaries in a rabbit model of endotoxemia. Am J Respir Crit Care Med 2000;161:36–43.
- Panés J, Perry MA, Anderson DC, Manning A, Leone B, Cepinskas G, Rosenbloom CL, Miyasaka M, Kvietys PR, Granger DN: Regional differences in constitutive and induced ICAM-1 expression in vivo. Am J Physiol 1995;269:H1955–H1964.
- Walzog B: Adhesion molecules: The path to a new understanding of acute inflammation. News Physiol Sci 2000;15:107–113.
- Nakagawa M, Terashima T, D’Yachkova Y, Bondy GP, Hogg JC, Van Eeden SF: Glucocorticoid-induced granulocytosis: Contribution of marrow release and demargination of intravascular granulocytes. Circulation 1998;98:2307–2313.
- Novak E, Stubbs SS, Seckman CE, Hearron MS: Effects of a single large intravenous dose of methylprednisolone sodium succinate. Clin Pharmacol Ther 1970;11:711–717.
- Burton JL, Kehrli ME, Jr., Kapil S, Horst RL: Regulation of L-selectin and CD18 on bovine neutrophils by glucocorticoids: Effects of cortisol and dexamethasone. J Leukoc Biol 1995;57:317–325.
- Van Eeden SF, Granton J, Hards JM, Moore B, Hogg JC: Expression of the cell adhesion molecules on leukocytes that demarginate during acute maximal exercise. J Appl Physiol 1999;86:970–976.