To view the fulltext, please log in
To view the pdf, please log in
- FullText & PDF
- Unlimited re-access via MyKarger (new!)
- Unrestricted printing, no saving restrictions for personal use
- Reduced rates with a PPV account
- Rent for 48h to view
- Buy Cloud Access for unlimited viewing via different devices
- Synchronizing in the ReadCube Cloud
- Printing and saving restriction apply
Rental: USD 8.50
Cloud: USD 20.00
- Automatic perpetual access to all articles of the subscribed year(s)
- Unlimited re-access via Subscriber Login or MyKarger
- Unrestricted printing, no saving restrictions for personal use
Article / Publication Details
Article / Publication Details
Copyright / Drug Dosage
Copyright: All rights reserved. No part of this publication may be translated into other languages, reproduced or utilized in any form or by any means, electronic or mechanical, including photocopying, recording, microcopying, or by any information storage and retrieval system, without permission in writing from the publisher or, in the case of photocopying, direct payment of a specified fee to the Copyright Clearance Center.
Drug Dosage: The authors and the publisher have exerted every effort to ensure that drug selection and dosage set forth in this text are in accord with current recommendations and practice at the time of publication. However, in view of ongoing research, changes in goverment regulations, and the constant flow of information relating to drug therapy and drug reactions, the reader is urged to check the package insert for each drug for any changes in indications and dosage and for added warnings and precautions. This is particularly important when the recommended agent is a new and/or infrequently employed drug.
Disclaimer: The statements, opinions and data contained in this publication are solely those of the individual authors and contributors and not of the publishers and the editor(s). The appearance of advertisements or/and product references in the publication is not a warranty, endorsement, or approval of the products or services advertised or of their effectiveness, quality or safety. The publisher and the editor(s) disclaim responsibility for any injury to persons or property resulting from any ideas, methods, instructions or products referred to in the content or advertisements.
- Chomsky N: Media Control: The Spectacular Achievements of Propaganda. New York, Seven Stories, 1997.
- Chomsky N: 9–11. New York, Seven Stories, 2001.
- Fava GA: Conflict of interest and special interest groups. The making of a counter culture. Psychother Psychosom 2001;70:1–5.
- Fava GA: Subclinical symptoms in mood disorders: Pathophysiological and therapeutic implications. Psychol Med 1999;29:47–61.
- Andrews G: Should depression be managed as a chronic disease? BMJ 2001;322:419–421.
- Practice guideline for the treatment of patients with panic disorder. Work Group on Panic Disorder. American Psychiatric Association. Am J Psychiatry 1998;155(5 suppl):1–34.
- Meek C: Fraud and misconduct in medical research. Health Which, December 2001, pp 21–24.
- Paykel ES, Hollyman JA, Freeling P, Sedgwick P: Predictors of therapeutic benefit from amitriptyline in mild depression: A general practice placebo-controlled trial. J Affect Disord 1988;14:83–95.
- Viguera AC, Baldessarini RJ, Friedberg J: Discontinuing antidepressant treatment in major depression. Harv Rev Psychiatry 1998;5:293–306.
- Dawson R, Lavori PW, Coryell WH, Endicott J, Keller MB: Maintenance strategies for unipolar depression: An observational study of levels of treatment and recurrence. J Affect Disord 1998;49:31–44.
- Marks IM: Behavioural and drug treatments of phobic and obsessive-compulsive disorders. Psychother Psychosom 1986;46:35–44.
- Brown TA, Barlow DH: Long-term outcome in cognitive-behavioral treatment of panic disorder: Clinical predictors and alternative strategies for assessment. J Consult Clin Psychol 1995;63:754–765.
- Otto MW, Pollack MH, Sabatino SA: Maintenance of remission following cognitive behavior therapy for panic disorder. Behav Ther 1996;27:473–482.
- Barlow DH, Gorman JM, Shear MK, Woods SW: Cognitive-behavioral therapy, imipramine, or their combination for panic disorder: A randomized controlled trial. JAMA 2000;283:2529–2536.
- Fava GA, Rafanelli C, Grandi S, Conti S, Ruini C, Mangelli L, Belluardo P: Long-term outcome of panic disorder with agoraphobia treated by exposure. Psychol Med 2001;31:891–898.
- Barbui C, Hotopf M: Amitriptyline v. the rest: Still the leading antidepressant after 40 years of randomised controlled trials. Br J Psychiatry 2001;178:129–144.
- Fava GA, Rafanelli C, Grandi S, Conti S, Belluardo P: Prevention of recurrent depression with cognitive behavioral therapy: Preliminary findings. Arch Gen Psychiatry 1998;55:816–820.
- Fava GA, Rafanelli C, Grandi S, Canestrari R, Morphy MA: Six-year outcome for cognitive behavioral treatment of residual symptoms in major depression. Am J Psychiatry 1998;155:1443–1445.
- Paykel ES, Scott J, Teasdale JD, Johnson AL, Garlan A, Moore R, Jenaway A, Cornwall PL, Hayhurst H, Abbot R, Pope M: Prevention of relapse in residual depression by cognitive therapy. Arch Gen Psychiatry 1999;56:829–835.
- Fava M, Kendler KS: Major depressive disorder. Neuron 2000;28:335–341.
- Byrne SE, Rothschild AJ: Loss of antidepressant efficacy during maintenance therapy: Possible mechanisms and treatments. J Clin Psychiatry 1998;59:279–288.
- Noyes R Jr, Garvey MJ, Cook BL: Follow-up study of patients with panic disorder and agoraphobia with panic attacks treated with tricyclic antidepressants. J Affect Disord 1989;16:249–257.
- Fava GA: Potential sensitising effects of antidepressant drugs on depression. CNS Drugs 1999;12:247–256.
- Baldessarini RJ: Risks and implications of interrupting maintenance psychotropic drug therapy. Psychother Psychosom 1995;63:137–141.
- Sonino N, Fava GA: CNS drugs in Cushing’s disease. Pathophysiological and therapeutic implications for mood disorders. Prog Neuropsychopharmacol Biol Psychiatry, in press.
- Kramer JC, Klein DF, Fink M: Withdrawal symptoms following discontinuation of imipramine therapy. Am J Psychiatry 1961;118:549–550.
- Oliver JS, Burrows GD, Norman TR: Discontinuation syndromes with selective serotonine reuptake inhibitors. CNS Drugs 1999;12:171–177.
- Medawar C: The antidepressant web. Int J Risk Saf Med 1997;10:75–126.
- Fava GA, Tomba E: The use of antidepressant drugs: Some reasons for concern. Int J Risk Saf Med 1998;11:271–275.
- Shoenberger D: Discontinuing paroxetine: A personal account. Psychother Psychosom, in press.
- Rosenbaum JF, Fava M, Hoog SL, Ascroft RC, Krebs WB: Selective serotonin reuptake inhibitor discontinuation syndrome: A randomized clinical trial. Biol Psychiatry 1998;44:77–87.
- Grahame-Smith DG: The Lilly Prize Lecture. 1996. ‘Keep on taking the tablets’: Pharmacological adaptation during long-term drug therapy. Br J Clin Pharmacol 1997;44:227–238.
- Goodwin FK: The biology of recurrence: New directions for the pharmacologic bridge. J Clin Psychiatry 1989;50(suppl 4):40–47.
- Ruini C, Fava GA: The broad definition of treatment hinders a clinical translation of the findings. Am J Psychiatry, in press.
- Tuomilehto J, Lindstrom J, Eriksson JG, Valle TT, Hamalainen H, Ilanne-Parikka P, Keinanen-Kiukaanniemi S, Laakso M, Louheranta A, Rastas M, Salminen V, Uusitupa M: Prevention of type 2 diabetes mellitus by changes in lifestyle among subjects with impaired glucose tolerance. Finnish Diabetes Prevention Study Group. N Engl J Med 2001;344:1343–1350.
- Lipowski ZJ: Psychiatry: Mindless or brainless, both or neither? Can J Psychiatry 1989;34:249–254.
- Blackburn IM, Moore RG: Controlled acute and follow-up trial of cognitive therapy and pharmacotherapy in out-patients with recurrent depression. Br J Psychiatry 1997;171:328–334.
- Teasdale JD, Segal ZV, Williams JMG, Ridgeway VA, Soulsby JM, Lan MA: Prevention of relapse/recurrence in major depression by mindfulness-based cognitive therapy. J Consult Clin Psychol 2000;68:615–623.
- Jarrett RB, Kraft D, Doyle J, Foster BM, Eaves GG, Silver PC: Preventing recurrent depression using cognitive therapy with and without a continuation phase: A randomized clinical trial. Arch Gen Psychiatry 2001;58:381–388.
- Jarrett RB, Kraft D, Schaffer M, Witt-Browder A, Risser R, Atkins DH, Doyle J: Reducing relapse in depressed outpatients with atypical features: A pilot study. Psychother Psychosom 2000;69:232–239.
- Ryff CD, Singer B: Psychological well-being: Meaning, measurement, and implications for psychotherapy research. Psychother Psychosom 1996;65:14–23.
- Rafanelli C, Park SK, Ruini C, Ottolini F, Cazzaro M, Fava GA: Rating well-being and distress. Stress Med 2000;16:55–61.
- Bankier B, Littman AB: Psychiatric disorders and coronary heart disease in women – a still neglected topic: Review of the literature from 1971 to 2000. Psychother Psychosom 2002;71:133–140.
- Bech P: Pharmacological treatment of depressive disorders: A review; in Maj M, Sartorius N (eds): Depressive Disorders. Chichester, Wiley, 1999, pp 89–127.
- Kupfer DJ: Maintenance treatment in recurrent depression: Current and future directions. The first William Sargant Lecture. Br J Psychiatry 1992;161:309–316.
- Fava GA: The concept of recovery in affective disorders. Psychother Psychosom 1996;65:2–13.
- Fava GA: Conceptual obstacles to research progress in affective disorders. Psychother Psychosom 1997;66:283–285.
- Keller MB, Lavori PW, Mueller TI, Endicott J, Coryell W, Hirschfeld RMA, Shea T: Time to recovery, chronicity, and levels of psychopathology in major depression. A 5-year prospective follow-up of 431 subjects. Arch Gen Psychiatry 1992;49:809–816.
- Stassen HH, Delini-Stula A, Angst J: Time course of improvement under antidepressant treatment: A survival-analytical approach. Eur Neuropsychopharmacol 1993;3:127–135.
- Katon W, Rutter C, Ludman EJ, Von Korff M, Lin E, Simon G, Bush T, Walker E, Unutzer J: A randomized trial of relapse prevention of depression in primary care. Arch Gen Psychiatry 2001;58:241–247.
- Simon GE, Von Korff M, Rutter CM, Peterson DA: Treatment process and outcomes for managed care patients receiving new antidepressant prescriptions from psychiatrists and primary care physicians. Arch Gen Psychiatry 2001;58:395–401.
- Roy-Byrne PP, Katon W, Cowley DS, Russo J: A randomized effectiveness trial of collaborative care for patients with panic disorder in primary care. Arch Gen Psychiatry 2001;58:869–876.
- Carroll BJ: Neurobiologic dimensions of depression and mania; in Angst J (ed): The Origins of Depression. Berlin, Springer, 1983, pp 163–186.
- Fava GA: Sequential treatment: A new way of integrating pharmacotherapy and psychotherapy. Psychother Psychosom 1999;68:227–229.
- Fava GA, Bartolucci G, Rafanelli C, Mangelli L: Cognitive-behavioral management of patients with bipolar disorder who relapsed while on lithium prophylaxis. J Clin Psychiatry 2001;62:556–559.
- Fava GA, Ruini C: Psychotherapy of residual symptoms; in Alpert J, Fava M (eds): Handbook of Chronic Depression. New York, Dekker, in press.