- Activated protein C
- Thrombin generation
Calibrated automated thrombography displays the concentration of thrombin in clotting plasma with or without platelets (platelet-rich plasma/platelet-poor plasma, PRP/PPP) in up to 48 samples by monitoring the splitting of a fluorogenic substrate and comparing it to a constant known thrombin activity in a parallel, non-clotting sample. Thus, the non-linearity of the reaction rate with thrombin concentration is compensated for, and adding an excess of substrate can be avoided. Standard conditions were established at which acceptable experimental variation accompanies sensitivity to pathological changes. The coefficients of variation of the surface under the curve (endogenous thrombin potential) are: within experiment ∼3%; intra-individual: <5% in PPP, <8% in PRP; interindividual 15% in PPP and 19% in PRP. In PPP, calibrated automated thrombography shows all clotting factor deficiencies (except factor XIII) and the effect of all anticoagulants [AVK, heparin(-likes), direct inhibitors]. In PRP, it is diminished in von Willebrand’s disease, but it also shows the effect of platelet inhibitors (e.g. aspirin and abciximab). Addition of activated protein C (APC) or thrombomodulin inhibits thrombin generation and reflects disorders of the APC system (congenital and acquired resistance, deficiencies and lupus antibodies) independent of concomitant inhibition of the procoagulant pathway as for example by anticoagulants.
Copyright © 2003 S. Karger AG, Basel
- Biggs R, Macfarlane RG: Human Blood Coagulation and its Disorders. Oxford, Blackwell, 1953.
- Macfarlane RG, Biggs R: A thrombin generation test. J Clin Pathol 1953;6:3–7.
- Pitney WR, Dacie J: A simple method of studying the generation of thrombin in recalcified plasma. J Clin Pathol 1953;6:9–13.
- Seegers WH: A personal perspective on hemostasis and thrombosis (1937–1981). Semin Thromb Hemost 1981;7:177–307.
- Hemker HC, Béguin S: Phenotyping the clotting system. Thromb Haemost 2000;84:747–751.
- Al Dieri R, Peyvandi F, Santagostino E, Giansily M, Mannucci PM, Schved JF, Béguin S, Hemker HC: The thrombogram in rare inherited coagulation disorders: Its relation to clinical bleeding. Thromb Haemost 2002;88:576–582.
- Keularts IM, Hamulyak K, Hemker HC, Béguin S: The effect of DDAVP infusion on thrombin generation in platelet-rich plasma of von Willebrand type 1 and in mild haemophilia A patients. Thromb Haemost 2000;84:638–642.
- Keularts IMLW, Zivelin A, Seligsohn U, Hemker HC, Béguin S: The role of factor XI in thrombin generation induced by low concentrations of tissue factor. Thromb Haemost 2001;85:1060–1065.
- Al Dieri L, Wagenvoord R, van Dedem GWK, Béguin S, Hemker HC: The inhibition of blood coagulation by heparins of different molecular weight is caused by a common functional motif – The C-domain. J Thromb Haemost 2003;1:907–914.
- Sarich TC, Eriksson UG, Mattsson C, Wolzt M, Frison L, Fager G, Gustafsson D: Inhibition of thrombin generation by the oral direct thrombin inhibitor ximelagatran in shed blood from healthy male subjects. Thromb Haemost 2002;87:300–305.
- Kyrle PA, Mannhalter C, Béguin S, Stumpflen A, Hirschl M, Weltermann A, Stain M, Brenner B, Speiser W, Pabinger I, Lechner K, Eichinger S: Clinical studies and thrombin generation in patients homozygous or heterozygous for the G20210A mutation in the prothrombin gene. Arterioscler Thromb Vasc Biol 1998;18:1287–1291.
- Wielders S, Mukherjee M, Michiels J, Rijkers DT, Cambus JP, Knebel RW, Kakkar V, Hemker HC, Béguin S: The routine determination of the endogenous thrombin potential, first results in different forms of hyper- and hypocoagulability. Thromb Haemost 1997;77:629–636.
- Duchemin J, Pittet JL, Tartary M, Béguin S, Gaussem P, Alhenc-Gelas M, Aiach M: A new assay based on thrombin generation inhibition to detect both protein C and protein S deficiencies in plasma. Thromb Haemost 1994;71:331–338.
- Rotteveel RC, Roozendaal KJ, Eijsman L, Hemker HC: The influence of oral contraceptives on the time-integral of thrombin generation (thrombin potential). Thromb Haemost 1993;70:959–962.
- Rosing J, Tans G, Nicolaes GA, Thomassen MC, Van Oerle R, van der Ploeg PM, Heijnen P, Hamulyak K, Hemker HC: Oral contraceptives and venous thrombosis: Different sensitivities to activated protein C in women using second- and third-generation oral contraceptives. Br J Haematol 1997;97:233–238.
- Regnault V, Béguin S, Wahl D, de Maistre E, Hemker HC, Lecompte T: Thrombinography shows acquired resistance to activated protein C in patients with lupus anticoagulants. Thromb Haemost 2003;89:208–212.
- Béguin S, Kumar R, Keularts I, Seligsohn U, Coller BS, Hemker HC: Fibrin-dependent platelet procoagulant activity requires GPIb receptors and von Willebrand factor. Blood 1999;93:564–570.
- Eagle H: Studies on blood coagulation. I. The role of prothrombin and of platelets in the formation of thrombin. J Gen Physiol 1934;18:531–545.
- Kessels H, Béguin S, Andree H, Hemker HC: Measurement of thrombin generation in whole blood – The effect of heparin and aspirin. Thromb Haemost 1994;72:78–83.
- Herault JP, Dol F, Gaich C, Bernat A, Herbert JM: Effect of clopidogrel on thrombin generation in platelet-rich plasma in the rat. Thromb Haemost 1999;81:957–960.
- Reverter JC, Béguin S, Kessels H, Kumar R, Hemker HC, Coller BS: Inhibition of platelet-mediated, tissue factor-induced thrombin generation by the mouse/human chimeric 7E3 antibody. Potential implications for the effect of c7E3 Fab treatment on acute thrombosis and ‘clinical restenosis’. J Clin Invest 1996;98:863–874.
- Altman R, Scazziota A, Rouvier J, Gonzalez C: Effect of sodium arachidonate on thrombin generation through platelet activation – Inhibitory effect of aspirin. Thromb Haemost 2000;84:1109–1112.
- Ramjee MK: The use of fluorogenic substrates to monitor thrombin generation for the analysis of plasma and whole blood coagulation. Anal Biochem 2000;277:11–18.
- Hemker HC, Giesen PL, Ramjee M, Wagenvoord R, Béguin S: The thrombogram: monitoring thrombin generation in platelet-rich plasma. Thromb Haemost 2000;83:589–591.
- Chantarangkul V, Clerici M, Bressi C, Tripodi A: Thrombin generation assessed as endogenous thrombin potential (ETP) in patients with hyper- or hypo-coagulability. Effects of phospholipids, tissue factor and residual platelets on the measurement performed in platelet-poor and platelet-rich plasma. Haematologica 2003;88:547–554.
- Regnault V, De Maistre E, Geschier C, Briquel ME, André E, Stoltz JF, Lecompte T: A new fast one-step immunopreparation for activated protein C. Thromb Haemost 1995;73:136.
- Barrett AJ: Alpha2-macroglobulin. Methods Enzymol 1981;80:737–754.
- Udenfriend S: Fluorescence Assay in Biology and Medicine. New York, Academic Press, 1996, vol 1, pp13, 118, vol 2, pp182–185.
- Hemker HC, Wielders S, Kessels H, Béguin S: Continuous registration of thrombin generation in plasma, its use for the determination of the thrombin potential. Thromb Haemost 1993;70:617–624.
- Béguin S, Lindhout T, Hemker HC: The effect of trace amounts of tissue factor on thrombin generation in platelet rich plasma, its inhibition by heparin. Thromb Haemost, 1989;61:25–29.
- Kumar R, Béguin S, Hemker HC: The influence of fibrinogen and fibrin on thrombin generation – Evidence for feedback activation of the clotting system by clot bound thrombin. Thromb Haemost 1994;72:713–721.
- Bendayan P, Boccalon H, Dupouy D, Boneu B: Dermatan sulfate is a more potent inhibitor of clot-bound thrombin than unfractionated and low molecular weight heparins. Thromb Haemost 1994;71:576–580.
- Weitz JI, Hudoba M,Massel D,Maraganore J, Hirsh J: Clot-bound thrombin is protected from inhibition by heparin-antithrombin III but is susceptible to inactivation by antithrombin III-independent inhibitors. J Clin Invest 1990;86:385–391.
- Okwusidi JI, Anvari N, Kulczycky M, Blajchman MA, Buchanan MR, Ofosu FA: Fibrin moderates the catalytic action of heparin but not that of dermatan sulfate on thrombin inhibition in human plasma. J Lab Clin Med 1991;117:359–364.
- Eisenberg PR, Siegel JE, Abendschein DR, Miletich JP: Importance of factor Xa in determining the procoagulant activity of whole-blood clots. J Clin Invest 1993;91:1877–1883.
- Hemker HC: Thrombin generation, an essential step in haemostasis and thrombosis; in Bloom AL, Forbes CD, Thomas DP, Tuddenham EGD (eds): Haemostasis and Thrombosis. Edinburgh, Churchill Livingstone, 1994, pp 477–490.
- Giesen PL, Rauch U, Bohrmann B, Kling D, Roque M, Fallon JT, Badimon JJ, Himber J, Riederer MA, Nemerson Y: Blood-borne tissue factor: Another view of thrombosis. Proc Natl Acad Sci USA 1999;96:2311–2315.
- Butenas S, Branda RF, van’t Veer C, Cawthern KM, Mann KG: Platelets and phospholipids in tissue factor-initiated thrombin generation. Thromb Haemost 2001;86:660–667.
- Curvers J, Thomassen MC, Rimmer J, Hamulyak K, van der Meer J, Tans G, Preston FE, Rosing J: Effects of hereditary and acquired risk factors of venous thrombosis on a thrombin generation-based APC resistance test. Thromb Haemost 2002;88:5–11.
- Mercier E, Quere I, Chabert R, Lallemant JG, Daures JP, Berlan J, Gris JP: The 20210A allele of the prothrombin gene is an independent risk factor for perception deafness in patients with venous thromboembolic antecedents. Blood 1999;93:3150–3152.
- Redondo M, Watzke HH, Stucki B, Sulzer I, Biasiutti FD, Binder BR, Furlan M, Lammle B, Wuillemin WA: Coagulation factors II, V, VII, and X, prothrombin gene 20210G→A transition, and factor V Leiden in coronary artery disease: High factor V clotting activity is an independent risk factor for myocardial infarction. Arterioscler Thromb Vasc Biol 1999;19:1020–1025.
- Eldor A: Thrombophilia, thrombosis and pregnancy. Thromb Haemost 2001;86:104–111.
- Escuriola Ettingshausen C, Halimeh S, Kurnik K, Schobess R, Wermes C, Junker R, Kreuz W, Pollmann H, Nowak-Gottl U: Symptomatic onset of severe hemophilia A in childhood is dependent on the presence of prothrombotic risk factors. Thromb Haemost 2001;85:218–220.
- Vianello F, Belvini D, Dal Bello F, Tagariello G, Zanon E, Lombardi AM, Zerbinati P, Girolami A: Mild bleeding diathesis in a boy with combined severe haemophilia B (C(10400)→T) and heterozygous factor V Leiden. Haemophilia 2001;7:511–514.
- Tizzano EF, Soria JM, Coll I, Guzman B, Cornet M, Altisent C, Martorell M, Domenech M, del Rio E, Fontcuberta J, Baiget M: The prothrombin 20210A allele influences clinical manifestations of hemophilia A in patients with intron 22 inversion and without inhibitors. Haematologica 2002;87:279–285.
- Turecek PL, Váradi K, Keil B, Negrier C, Berntorp E, Astermark J, Bordet J-C, Morfini M, Linari S, Schwarz HP: Factor VIII inhibitor-bypassing agents act by inducing thrombin generation and can be monitored by a thrombin generation assay. Pathophysiol Haemost Thromb 2003;33:16–22.
- Hartert H: Blutgerinnungsstudien mit der Thrombelastographie, einem neuen Untersuchungsverfahren. Klin Wochenschr 1948;26:577–583.
- Hartert H: Resonance-thrombography: Theoretical and practical elements. Biorheology 1981;18:693–701.
- Calatzis A, Fritzsche P, Kling M, Hipp R, Stemberger A: A comparison of the technical principle of the roTEG coagulation analyzer and conventional thrombelastographic systems (abstract). Ann Haematol 1996;72(suppl 1):P90.
- Laforce WR, Brudno DS, Kanto WP, Karp WB: Evaluation of the SonoClot Analyser for the measurement of platelet function in whole blood. Ann Clin Lab Sci 1992;22:30–33.
- Carr ME, Zekert SL: Measurement of platelet-mediated force development during plasma clot formation. Am J Med Sci 1991;302:13–18.
- Ramstrom S, Ranby M, Lindahl TL: The role of platelets in blood coagulation – Effects of platelet agonists and GPIIb/IIIa inhibitors studied by free oscillation rheometry. Thromb Res 2002;105:165–172.
- Sorensen B, Johansen P, Christiansen K, Woelke M, Ingerslev J: Whole blood coagulation thrombelastic profiles employing minimal tissue factor activation. J Thromb Haemost 2003,1:551–558.
- De Cristofaro R, Landolfi R: Measurement of plasma fibrinogen concentration by the prothrombin-time-derived method: Applicability and limitations. Blood Coagul Fibrinolysis 1998;9:251–259.
H.C. Hemker, MD, PhD
CARIM, POB 616
NL–6200MD Maastricht (The Netherlands)
Tel. +31 43 3881 675, Fax +31 43 3884 570, HC.Hemker@Thrombin.com
Received: February 3, 2003
Accepted: April 12, 2003
Number of Print Pages : 12
Number of Figures : 9, Number of Tables : 3, Number of References : 54
Pathophysiology of Haemostasis and Thrombosis
Official Journal of the ‘Mediterranean League against Thromboembolic Diseases’
Vol. 33, No. 1, Year 2003 (Cover Date: Released June 2003)
Journal Editor: J. Rosing, Maastricht
ISSN: 1424–8832 (print), 1424–8840 (Online)
For additional information: http://www.karger.com/pht
Copyright / Drug Dosage / Disclaimer
Copyright: All rights reserved. No part of this publication may be translated into other languages, reproduced or utilized in any form or by any means, electronic or mechanical, including photocopying, recording, microcopying, or by any information storage and retrieval system, without permission in writing from the publisher or, in the case of photocopying, direct payment of a specified fee to the Copyright Clearance Center.
Drug Dosage: The authors and the publisher have exerted every effort to ensure that drug selection and dosage set forth in this text are in accord with current recommendations and practice at the time of publication. However, in view of ongoing research, changes in goverment regulations, and the constant flow of information relating to drug therapy and drug reactions, the reader is urged to check the package insert for each drug for any changes in indications and dosage and for added warnings and precautions. This is particularly important when the recommended agent is a new and/or infrequently employed drug.
Disclaimer: The statements, opinions and data contained in this publication are solely those of the individual authors and contributors and not of the publishers and the editor(s). The appearance of advertisements or/and product references in the publication is not a warranty, endorsement, or approval of the products or services advertised or of their effectiveness, quality or safety. The publisher and the editor(s) disclaim responsibility for any injury to persons or property resulting from any ideas, methods, instructions or products referred to in the content or advertisements.