To view the fulltext, please log in
To view the pdf, please log in
It is well known that coeliac disease may be associated with various neurological manifestations. We have had a high index of suspicion of coeliac disease during recent years in our neurological clinic. As a result 10 (7%) out of 144 of our new coeliac patients were detected because of neurological symptoms. The most common neurological manifestations were neuropathy, memory impairment and cerebellar ataxia. In these patient groups screening for coeliac disease with serological antibody tests helps to find patients who may suffer from this disease.
Copyright / Drug Dosage
Copyright: All rights reserved. No part of this publication may be translated into other languages, reproduced or utilized in any form or by any means, electronic or mechanical, including photocopying, recording, microcopying, or by any information storage and retrieval system, without permission in writing from the publisher or, in the case of photocopying, direct payment of a specified fee to the Copyright Clearance Center.
Drug Dosage: The authors and the publisher have exerted every effort to ensure that drug selection and dosage set forth in this text are in accord with current recommendations and practice at the time of publication. However, in view of ongoing research, changes in goverment regulations, and the constant flow of information relating to drug therapy and drug reactions, the reader is urged to check the package insert for each drug for any changes in indications and dosage and for added warnings and precautions. This is particularly important when the recommended agent is a new and/or infrequently employed drug.
Disclaimer: The statements, opinions and data contained in this publication are solely those of the individual authors and contributors and not of the publishers and the editor(s). The appearance of advertisements or/and product references in the publication is not a warranty, endorsement, or approval of the products or services advertised or of their effectiveness, quality or safety. The publisher and the editor(s) disclaim responsibility for any injury to persons or property resulting from any ideas, methods, instructions or products referred to in the content or advertisements.
- Mäki M, Collin P: Coeliac disease. Lancet 1997;349:1755–1759.
- Collin P, Reunala T, Pukkala E, Laippala P, Keyriläinen O, Pasternack A: Coeliac disease: Associated disorders and survival. Gut 1994;35:1215–1218.
- Bode S, Hassager C, Gudmand-Hoyer E, Christiansen C: Body composition and calcium metabolism in adult coeliac disease. Gut 1991;32:1342–1345.
- Cooper BT, Read AE: Coeliac disease and lymphoma. Q J Med 1987;63:269–274.
- Collin P, Salmi J, Hällström O, Reunala T, Pasternack A: Autoimmune thyroid disorders and coeliac disease. Eur J Endocrinol 1994;130:137–140.
- Collin P, Salmi J, Hällström O, Oksa H, Oksala H, Mäki M, Teunala T: High frequency of coeliac disease in adult patients with type I diabetes. Scand J Gastroenterol 1989;24:81–84.
- Cooke WT, Smith T: Neurological disorders associated with adult coeliac disease. Brain 1966;89:683–722.
- Chapman RWG, Laidlow JM, Colin-Jones D: Increased prevalence of epilepsy in coeliac disease. BMJ 1978;2:250–251.
- Finelli PF, McEntee WJ, Ambler M, Kestenbaum D: Adult celiac disease presenting as cerebellar syndrome. Neurology 1980;30:245–249.
- Hadjivassiliou M, Chattopadhyay AK, Davies-Jones GA, Gibson A, Grünewald RA, Lobo AJ: Neuromuscular disease as a presenting feature of coeliac disease. J Neurol Neurosurg Psychiatry 1997;63:770–775.
- Gobbi G, Bouquet F, Greco L, Lambertini A, Tassinari CA, Ventura A, Zaniboni MG: Coeliac disease, epilepsy and cerebral calcifications. Lancet 1992;340:439–443.
- Hadjivassiliou M, Gibson A, Davies-Jones GAB, Lobo JA, Stephenson TJ, Milford-Ward A: Does cryptic gluten sensitivity play a part in neurological illness? Lancet 1996;347:369–371.
- Collin P, Pirttilä T, Nurmikko T, Somer H, Erilä T, Keyriläinen O: Celiac disease, brain atrophy, and dementia. Neurology 1991;41:372–375.
- Collin P, Reunala T, Rasmussen S, Kyrönpalo S, Pehkonen E, Laippala P, Mäki M: High incidence and prevalence of adult coeliac disease: Augmented diagnostic appraoch. Scand J Gastroenterol 1997;32:1129–1133.
- Hadjivassiliou M, Grunewald RA, Chattopadhyay AK, Davies-Jones GAB, Gibson A, Jarrat JA, Kandler RH, Lobo A, Powell T, Smith CML: Clinical, radiological, neurophysiological, and neuropathological characteristics of gluten ataxia. Lancet 1998;352:1582–1585.