To view the fulltext, please log in
To view the pdf, please log in
Background and Aim: Most patients with hepatic metastases from colorectal carcinoma are unsuitable for resection. Radiofrequency ablation (RFA) has been applied to such lesions at laparotomy. This study aimed to evaluate the less invasive approach of percutaneous RFA. Method: Patients with unresectable liver metastases identified on cross-sectional imaging were considered for percutaneous RFA either alone or in combination with systemic chemotherapy. Subjects with >6 lesions or lesions of maximum size >70 mm were excluded. Percutaneous RFA was applied under sedation and radiological guidance (CT/US). Treatment effect was determined by follow-up imaging. Actuarial survival was calculated by the Kaplan-Meier analysis. Results: Thirty patients (21 males), median age 74.5 years (range 44–85 years), underwent percutaneous RFA to 56 lesions during 54 treatment sessions. The median size of lesion was 30 mm (range 8–70 mm). Fifteen lesions were treated more than once because of recurrence or incomplete ablation. The median ablation time per lesion was 12 min (range 4.5–36 min). Eleven patients had pre-procedural chemotherapy and 15 patients received chemotherapy after treatment. There was minimal associated morbidity (5.6% of treatments). Median hospital stay per treatment was 1 day (range 1–7). Median actuarial survival from the date of first percutaneous RFA was 22 months (95% CI 12.9–31.1 months). Eleven patients were alive at the time of data collection. Conclusion: Percutaneous RFA is a safe, well-tolerated intervention for unresectable hepatic metastases which can be repeated, if required. The technique may be associated with prolonged survival in this selected group of subjects. Future studies should consider the role of percutaneous RFA either in place of or as an adjunct to palliative chemotherapy.
Copyright / Drug Dosage
Copyright: All rights reserved. No part of this publication may be translated into other languages, reproduced or utilized in any form or by any means, electronic or mechanical, including photocopying, recording, microcopying, or by any information storage and retrieval system, without permission in writing from the publisher or, in the case of photocopying, direct payment of a specified fee to the Copyright Clearance Center.
Drug Dosage: The authors and the publisher have exerted every effort to ensure that drug selection and dosage set forth in this text are in accord with current recommendations and practice at the time of publication. However, in view of ongoing research, changes in goverment regulations, and the constant flow of information relating to drug therapy and drug reactions, the reader is urged to check the package insert for each drug for any changes in indications and dosage and for added warnings and precautions. This is particularly important when the recommended agent is a new and/or infrequently employed drug.
Disclaimer: The statements, opinions and data contained in this publication are solely those of the individual authors and contributors and not of the publishers and the editor(s). The appearance of advertisements or/and product references in the publication is not a warranty, endorsement, or approval of the products or services advertised or of their effectiveness, quality or safety. The publisher and the editor(s) disclaim responsibility for any injury to persons or property resulting from any ideas, methods, instructions or products referred to in the content or advertisements.
- Geoghan JG, Scheele J: Treatment of colorectal liver metastases. Br J Surg 1999;86:158–169.
- Siperstein A, Garland A, Engle K, et al: Local recurrence after laparoscopic radiofrequency thermal ablation of hepatic tumors. Ann Surg Oncol 2000;7:106–113.
- Stangl R, Altendorf-Hofmann A, Charnley RM, et al: Factors influencing the natural history of colorectal liver metastases. Lancet 1994;343:1405–1410.
- Gillams A, Lees W: Survival after percutaneous, image-guided, thermal ablation of hepatic metastases from colorectal cancer. Dis Colon Rectum 2000;43:656–661.
- Blumgart LH, Allison DJ: Resection and embolization in the management of secondary hepatic tumors. World J Surg 1982;61:32–45.
- Harmon K, Ryan J, Biehl T, Lee F: Benefits and safety of hepatic resection for colorectal metastases. Am J Surg 1999;177:402–404.
- Nordlinger B, Guiguet M, Vaillant JC, et al: Surgical resection of colorectal carcinoma metastases to the liver: A prognostic scoring system to improve case selection, based on 1568 patients. Cancer 1996;77:1254–1262.
- Fowler WC, Eisenberg BL, Hoffman JP: Hepatic resection following systemic chemotherapy for metastatic colorectal carcinoma. J Surg Oncol 1992;51:122–125.
- Elias D, Lasser P, Rougier P, Ducreux M, Bognel C, Roche A: Frequency, technical aspects, results, and indications of major hepatectomy after prolonged intra-arterial hepatic chemotherapy for initially unresectable tumors. J Am Coll Surg 1995;180:213–219.
- Bismuth H, Adam R, Levi F, Farabos C, et al: Resection of non-resectable liver metastases from colorectal cancer after neoadjuvant chemotherapy. Ann Surg 1996;224:509–522.
- Fortner JG, Silva JS, Golbey RB, Cox EB, Maclean BJ: Multivariate analysis of a personal series of 247 consecutive patients with liver metastases from colorectal cancer. I. Treatment by hepatic resection. Ann Surg 1984;199:306–316.
- August DA, Sugarbaker PH, Ottow RT, Gianola FJ, Schneider PD: Hepatic resection of colorectal metastases: Influence of clinical factors and adjuvant intraperitoneal 5-fluorouracil via Tenckhoff catheter on survival. Ann Surg 1985;201:210–218.
- Donato N, Dario C, Giovanni S, Virgilio B, Paolo DP, Roberto L, et al: Retrospective study of adjuvant chemotherapy after surgical resection of colorectal cancer metastatic to the liver. Eur J Surg Oncol 1994;20:454–460.
- Rougier P, Laplanche A, Huguier M, et al: Hepatic arterial infusion of floxuridine in patients with liver metastases from colorectal carcinoma: Long-term results of a prospective randomized trial. J Clin Oncol 1992;10:1112–1118.
- Kemeny N, Daly J, Reichman B, et al: Intrahepatic or systemic infusion of fluorodeoxyuridine in patients with liver metastases from colorectal cancer. A randomized trial. Ann Intern Med 1987;107:459–465.
- De Baere T, Elias D, Dromain C, et al: Radiofrequency ablation of 100 hepatic metastases with a mean follow-up of more than 1 year. AJR 2000;175:1619–1625.
- Parikh A, Curley S, Fornage B, Ellis L: Radiofrequency ablation of hepatic metastases. Semin Oncol 2002;29:168–182.
- Rossi S, Fornari F, Buscarini L: Percutaneous ultrasound-guided radiofrequency electrocautery for the treatment of small hepatocellular carcinoma. J Interv Radiol 1993;8:97–103.
- Anzai Y, Lufkin R, De Sallas A, Hamilton DR, Farahani K, Black KL: Preliminary experience with MR-guided thermal ablation of brain tumors. AJNR 1995;16:39–48.
- Rosenthal DI, Springfield DS, Gebhart MC, Rosenberg AE, Mankin HJ: Osteoid osteoma: Percutaneous radiofrequency ablation. Radiology 1995;197:451–455.
- McGovern FJ, Wood BJ, Goldberg SN, Mueller PR: Radiofrequency ablation of renal cell carcinoma via image guided needle electrodes. J Urol 1999;161:599–600.
- Solbiati L, Goldberg SN, Ierace T, Livraghi T, Meloni F, Dellanoce M, Sironi S, Gazelle GS: Hepatic metastases: Percutaneous radio frequency ablation with cooled-tip electrodes. Radiology 1997;205:367–373.
- Goldberg SN, Gazelle GS, Solbiati L, Livraghi T, Tanabe K, Hahn P, Mueller PR: Ablation of liver tumors using percutaneous RF therapy. AJR 1998;170:1023–1028.
- Solbiati L, Ierace T, Goldberg SN, Sironi S, Livraghi T, Fiocca R, Servadio G, Rizzatto G, Mueller PR, Del Maschio A, Gazelle GS: Percutaneous US-guided radio-frequency tissue ablation of liver metastases: Treatment and follow-up in 16 patients. Radiology 1997;202:195–203.
- Goldberg SN, Gazelle GS, Mueller PR: Thermal ablation therapy for focal malignancy: A unified approach to underlying principles, techniques, and diagnostic imaging guidance. AJR 2000;174:323–331.
- Goldberg SN, Solbiati L, Hahn PF, Cosman E, Conrad JE, Fogle R, Gazelle GS: Large volume tissue ablation with radiofrequency by using a clustered internally cooled electrode technique: Laboratory and clinical experience in liver metastases. Radiology 1998;209:371–379.
- Lehnert T, Otto G, Herfarth C: Therapeutic modalities and prognostic factors for primary and secondary liver tumors. World J Surg 1995;19:252–263.
- Mohiuddin M, Chen E, Ahmad N: Combined liver radiation and chemotherapy for palliation of hepatic metastases from colorectal cancer. J Clin Oncol 1996;14:722–728.
- Kemeny N, Ron IG: Hepatic arterial chemotherapy in metastatic colorectal patients. Semin Oncol 1999;26:524–535.
- Bengtsson G, Carlsson G, Hafstrom L, Jonsson PE: Natural history of patients with untreated liver metastases from colorectal cancer. Am J Surg 1981;141:361–370.
- Rougier P, Milan C, Lazorthes F, Fourtanier G, Partensky C, Baumel H, et al: Prospective study of prognostic factors in patients with unresected hepatic metastases from colorectal cancer. Fondation Française de Cancérologie Digestive. Br J Surg 1995;82:1397–1400.
- Doci R, Gennari L, Bignami P, Montalto F, Morabito A, Bozzetti F: One hundred patients with hepatic metastases from colorectal cancer treated by resection: Analysis of prognostic determinants. BJS 1991;78:797–801.
- Weaver ML, Atkinson D, Zemel R: Hepatic cryosurgery in treating colorectal metastases. Cancer 1995;76:210–214.
- Amin Z, Donald JJ, Masters A, Kant R, Steger AC, Bown SG, Lees WR: Hepatic metastases: Interstitial laser photocoagulation with real-time US monitoring and dynamic CT evaluation of treatment. Radiology 1993;187:339–347.
- Livraghi T, Vettori C, Lazzaroni S: Liver metastases: Results of percutaneous ethanol injection in 14 patients. Radiology 1991;179:709–712.
- Nolsoe CP, Torp-Pedersen S, Burcharth F, Horn T, Pedersen S, Christensen NE, Olldag ES, Andersen PH, Karstrup S, Lorentzen T: Interstitial hyperthermia of colorectal liver metastases with an US-guided Nd-YAG laser with a diffuser tip: A pilot clinical study. Radiology 1993;187:333–337.
- Oshowo A, Gillams A, Harrison E, Lees WR, Taylor I: Comparison of resection and radiofrequency ablation for treatment of solitary colorectal liver metastases. Br J Surg 2003;90:1240–1243.
- Solbiati L, Livraghi T, Goldberg SN, Ierace T, Meloni F, Dellanoce M, Cova L, Halpern EF, Gazelle GS: Percutaneous radiofrequency ablation of hepatic metastases from colorectal cancer: Long-term results in 117 patients. Radiology 2001;221:159–166.
- Zagoria RJ, Chen MY, Shen P, Levine EA: Complications from radiofrequency ablation of liver metastases. Am J Surg 2002;68:204–209.
- Bilchik AJ, Wood TF, Allegra D, Tsioulias GJ, Chung M, Rose DM, et al: Cryosurgical ablation and radiofrequency ablation for unresectable hepatic malignant neoplasms: A proposed algorithm. Arch Surg 2000;135:657–664.
- Bleicher RJ, David P, Allegra D, Nora DT, Wood TF, Foshag LJ, Bilchik AJ: Radiofrequency ablation in 447 complex unresectable liver tumors: Lessons learned. Ann Surg Oncol 2003;10:52–58.