To view the fulltext, please log in
To view the pdf, please log in
Associations among biological objects such as genes, proteins, and drugs can be discovered automatically from the scientific literature. TransMiner is a system for finding associations among objects by mining the Medline database of the scientific literature. The direct associations among the objects are discovered based on the principle of co-occurrence in the form of an association graph. The principle of transitive closure is applied to the association graph to find potential transitive associations. The potential transitive associations that are indeed direct are discovered by iterative retrieval and mining of the Medline documents. Those associations that are not found explicitly in the entire Medline database are transitive associations and are the candidates for hypothesis generation. The transitive associations were ranked based on the sum of weight of terms that co-occur with both the objects. The direct and transitive associations are visualized using a graph visualization applet. TransMiner was tested by finding associations among 56 breast cancer genes and among 24 objects in the calpain signal transduction pathway. TransMiner was also used to rediscover associations between magnesium and migraine.
Copyright / Drug Dosage
Copyright: All rights reserved. No part of this publication may be translated into other languages, reproduced or utilized in any form or by any means, electronic or mechanical, including photocopying, recording, microcopying, or by any information storage and retrieval system, without permission in writing from the publisher or, in the case of photocopying, direct payment of a specified fee to the Copyright Clearance Center.
Drug Dosage: The authors and the publisher have exerted every effort to ensure that drug selection and dosage set forth in this text are in accord with current recommendations and practice at the time of publication. However, in view of ongoing research, changes in goverment regulations, and the constant flow of information relating to drug therapy and drug reactions, the reader is urged to check the package insert for each drug for any changes in indications and dosage and for added warnings and precautions. This is particularly important when the recommended agent is a new and/or infrequently employed drug.
Disclaimer: The statements, opinions and data contained in this publication are solely those of the individual authors and contributors and not of the publishers and the editor(s). The appearance of advertisements or/and product references in the publication is not a warranty, endorsement, or approval of the products or services advertised or of their effectiveness, quality or safety. The publisher and the editor(s) disclaim responsibility for any injury to persons or property resulting from any ideas, methods, instructions or products referred to in the content or advertisements.
- Baasiri RA, Glasser SR, Steffen DL, Wheeler DA. The Breast Cancer Gene Database: A collaborative information resource. Oncogene 18:7958–7965;1999. http://tyrosine.biomedcomp.com/4d.acgi$tsrchname?Name = &topic = BCIR.
- Bao JJ, Le XF, Wang RY, Yuan J, Wang L, Atkinson EN, LaPushin R, Andreeff M, Fang B, Yu Y, Bast, RC Jr. Reexpression of the tumor suppressor gene ARHI induces apoptosis in ovarian and breast cancer cells through a caspase-independent calpain dependent pathway. Cancer Res 62:7264–7272;2002.
- Cuevas BD, Abell AN, Witowsky JA, Yujiri T, Johnson NL, Kesavan K, Ware M, Jones PL, Weed SA, DeBiasi RL, Oka Y, Tyler KL, Johnson GL. MEKK1 regulates calpain-dependent proteolysis of focal adhesion proteins for rear-end detachment of migrating fibroblasts. EMBO J 22:3346–3355;2003.
- Daraselia N, Yuryev A, Egorov S, Novichkova S, Nikitin A, Mazo I. Extracting human protein interactions from MEDLINE using a full-sentence parser. Bioinformatics 20:604–611;2004.
- Demirkaya S, Vural O, Dora B, Topcuoglu MA. Efficacy of intravenous magnesium sulfate in the treatment of acute migraine attacks. Headache 41:171–177;2001.
- Friedman C, Kra P, Yu H, Krauthammer M, Rzhetsky A. GENIES: a natural-language processing system for the extraction of molecular pathways from journal articles. Bioinformatics 17(suppl 1):S74–S82;2001.
- Honderich T. The Oxford Companion to Philosophy, Oxford University Press. 1995 http://www.xrefer.com/entry/553381.
- Hristovski D, Dzeroski S, Peterlin B, Rozic-Hristovski A. Supporting Discovery in Medicine by Association Rule Mining of Bibliographic Databases. Proc Fourth European Conference on Principles and Practice of Knowledge Discovery in Databases. Berlin, Springer, 446–451;2000.
- Jenssen TK, Laegreid A, Komorowski J, Hovig E. A literature network of human genes for high-throughput analysis of gene expression. Nature Genetics 28:21–28;2000.
- Mathiasen IS, Sergeev IN, Bastholm L, Elling F, Norman AW, Jaattela M. Calcium and calpain as key mediators of apoptosis-like death induced by vitamin D compounds in breast cancer cells. J Biol Chem 277:30738–30745;2002.
- Mrowka R. A Java applet for visualizing protein-protein interaction. Bioinformatics 17:669–671;2001.
- Mukhopadhyay S, Mostafa J, Palakal M, Lam W, Xue L, Hudli A. An Adaptive Multi-level Information Filtering System. Proceedings of the Fifth International Conference on User Modeling, 21–28;1996.
- Palakal M, Mukhopadhyay S, Mostafa J, Raje R, N’Cho M, Mishra S. An intelligent biological information management system. Bioinformatics 18:1283–1288;2002.
- Pink JJ, Wuerzberger-Davis S, Tagliarino C, Planchon SM, Yang X, Froelich CJ, Boothman DA. Activation of a cysteine protease in MCF-7 and T47D breast cancer cells during beta-lapachone-mediated apoptosis. Exp Cell Res 255:144–155;2000.
- Pratt W, Yetisgen-Yildiz M. LitLinker: capturing connections across the biomedical literature. Proceedings of the International Conference on Knowledge Capture 105–112;2003.
- Rebhan M, Chalifa-Caspi V, Prilusky J, Lancet D. GeneCards: encyclopedia for genes, proteins and diseases. Weizmann Institute of Science, Bioinformatics Unit and Genome Center (Rehovot, Israel) 1997. http://bioinformatics.weizmann.ac.il/cards.
- Salton G. Automatic Text Processing: The Transformation, Analysis, and Retrieval of Information by Computer. Reading, Addison-Wesley, 1989.
- Stapley BJ, Benoit G. Biobibliometrics: information retrieval and visualization from co-occurrences of gene names in Medline abstracts. Pac Symp Biocomput 5:529–540;2000.
- Stephens M, Palakal M, Mukhopadhyay S, Raje R, Mostafa J. Detecting gene relations from Medline abstracts. Pac Symp Biocomput 483–495;2001.
- Sun Microsystems, Inc. Graph.java demonstration software. Santa Clara, Sun Microsystems, 1995. http://java.sun.com/applets/jdk/1.0/demo/GraphLayout/index.html.
- Swanson DR. Fish oil, Raynaud’s syndrome, and undiscovered public knowledge. Perspect Biol Med 30:7–18;1986.
- Swanson DR. Migraine and magnesium: eleven neglected connections. Perspect Biol Med 31:526–557;1988.
- Swanson DR, Smalheiser NR. An interactive system for finding complementary literatures: a stimulus to scientific discovery. Artif Intell 91:183–203;1997.
- Tagliarino C, Pink JJ, Dubyak GR, Nieminen AL, Boothman DA. Calcium is a key signaling molecule in beta-lapachone-mediated cell death. J Biol Chem 276:19150–19159;2001.
- Tagliarino C, Pink JJ, Reinicke KE, Simmers SM, Wuerzberger-Davis SM, Boothman DA. Mu-calpain activation in beta-lapachone-mediated apoptosis. Cancer Biol Ther 2:141–152;2003.
- Warshall S. A theorem on boolean matrices. J ACM 9:11–12;1962.
- Wong PK, Whitney P, Thomas J. Visualizing Association Rules for Text Mining. Proceedings of IEEE Information Visualization, 120–123;1999.
- Wu WJ, Tu S, Cerione RA. Activated Cdc42 sequesters c-Cbl and prevents EGF receptor degradation. Cell 114:715–725;2003.