- Population genetics
Objectives: To determine for the first time using PCR the distribution of Rhesus (Rh) blood group in French Basques and compare these results with those obtained by serology in the same sample and in the historical series from various Basque subgroups. Methods: Rh polymorphism was determined in a sample of 127 autochthonous French Basques using allele-specific primers (ASP) PCR and traditional serological technique. Statistical comparisons were performed between both techniques and with the data published from various Basque subpopulations. Results: No intra-sample discrepancies were detected between ASP-PCR and serology. A high frequency of RH Ddel exceeding 0.50, as typically described from several decades, was found here (0.511), as the peculiar frequency of cde (0.456) and cDE (0.073) haplotypes. This profile, obtained by molecular analysis, was within the range of previous historical studies in various Basque subpopulations using serological approach. The Rh polymorphism among the reviewed autochthonous Basque samples indicates a heterogeneous pattern of distribution, with individuals from the Alava province demonstrating the most atypical profile. Conclusions: Molecular biology approach using PCR confirms the peculiar pattern of Rh polymorphism which was previously defined by serology among Basques. Nevertheless, this distribution profile is not homogeneous within the Basque area.
Copyright © 2004 S. Karger AG, Basel
- Torroni A, Bandelt HJ, D’Urbano L, Lahermo P, Moral P, Sellitto D, Rengo C, Forster P, Savontaus ML, Bonné-Tamir B, Scozzari R: Mt DNA analysis reveals a major late paleolithic population expansion from southwestern to northeastern Europe. Am J Hum Genet 1998;62:1137–1152.
- Chikhi L, Nichols RA, Barbujani G, Beaumont MA: Y genetic data support the Neolithic demic diffusion model. Proc Natl Acad Sci USA 2002;99:11008–11013.
- Chalmers JNM, Ikin EW, Mourant AE: The ABO, MN and Rh blood groups of the Basque people. Am J Phys Anthropol 1949;7:529–544.
- Etcheverry MA: El factor Rh en personas de ascendencia iberica e italica residents en la Argentina. Sem Med 1947;2:1–8.
- Moulinier J: The Rh factor in Southwestern France. An examination of the Basque and Béarnais populations. Am J Phys Anthropol 1949;7:545–548.
- Nijenhuis LE: Blood group frequencies in French Basques. Proceedings of the first Congress of Human Genetics, Copenhagen, 1956, pp 375–379.
- Alberdi F, Allison AC, Blumberg BS, Ikin EW, Mourant AE: The blood groups of the Spanish Basques; in Mourant AE, Kopec A, Domaniewska-Sobczak K (ed): The Distribution of the Human Blood Groups and Other Polymorphisms. London, Oxford University Press, 1957, pp 217–221.
- Levine MH, Von Hagen V, Ruffié J, Darrasse H: A hematological approach to Basque isolation in two French Basque villages. Ann NY Acad Sci 1977;293:185–193.
- Manzano C, Orue JM, de la Rua C. The ‘Basqueness’ of the Basques of Alava: A reappraisal from a multidisciplinary perspective. Am J Phys Anthropol 1996;99:249–258.
- Manzano C, Aguirre AI, Iriondo M, Martin M, Osaba L, De la Rua C: Genetic polymorphisms of the Basques from Guipuzcoa: Genetic heterogeneity of the Basque population. Ann Hum Biol 1996;23:285–296.
- Manzano C, De la Rua C, Iriondo M, Mazon LI, Vicario A, Aguirre A: Structuring the genetic heterogeneity of the Basque population: A view from classical polymorphisms. Hum Biol 2002;74:51–74.
- Le Van Kim C, Mouro I, Brossard Y, Chavinié J, Cartron JP, Colin Y: PCR-based determination of Rhc and RhE status of fetuses at risk of Rhc and RhE haemolytic disease. Br J Haematol 1994;88:193–195.
- Aubin JT, Le Van Kim C, Mouro I, Colin Y, Bignozzi C, Brossard Y, Cartron JP: Specificity and sensitivity of RHD genotyping methods by PCR-based DNA amplification. Br J Haematol 1997;98:356–354.
- Mourant AE, Kopec AC, Domaniewska- Sobczak K: The distribution of human blood groups and other polymorphisms. London, Oxford University Press, 1976.
- Iriondo M, Barbero MC, Manzano C: DNA polymorphisms detect ancient barriers to gene flow in Basques. Am J Phys Anthropol 2003;122:73–84.
- Bauduer F, Touinssi M, Degioanni A, Leroux S, Dutour O, Ducout L, De Micco P, Chiaroni J: Duffy blood group genotyping in the French Basque population using polymerase chain reaction with allele-specific primers. Am J Human Biol 2004;16:78–81.
Frédéric Bauduer, MD, PhD
Centre Hospitalier de la Côte Basque
FR–64100 Bayonne (France)
Tel. +33 5 594 435 35, Fax +33 5 594 438 39, E-Mail firstname.lastname@example.org
Received: July 20, 2004
Accepted after revision: September 15, 2004
Number of Print Pages : 4
Number of Figures : 0, Number of Tables : 3, Number of References : 16
Human Heredity (International Journal of Human and Medical Genetics)
Vol. 58, No. 2, Year 2004 (Cover Date: Released February 2005)
Journal Editor: J. Ott, New York, N.Y.
ISSN: 0001–5652 (print), 1423–0062 (Online)
For additional information: http://www.karger.ch/hhe
Copyright / Drug Dosage / Disclaimer
Copyright: All rights reserved. No part of this publication may be translated into other languages, reproduced or utilized in any form or by any means, electronic or mechanical, including photocopying, recording, microcopying, or by any information storage and retrieval system, without permission in writing from the publisher or, in the case of photocopying, direct payment of a specified fee to the Copyright Clearance Center.
Drug Dosage: The authors and the publisher have exerted every effort to ensure that drug selection and dosage set forth in this text are in accord with current recommendations and practice at the time of publication. However, in view of ongoing research, changes in goverment regulations, and the constant flow of information relating to drug therapy and drug reactions, the reader is urged to check the package insert for each drug for any changes in indications and dosage and for added warnings and precautions. This is particularly important when the recommended agent is a new and/or infrequently employed drug.
Disclaimer: The statements, opinions and data contained in this publication are solely those of the individual authors and contributors and not of the publishers and the editor(s). The appearance of advertisements or/and product references in the publication is not a warranty, endorsement, or approval of the products or services advertised or of their effectiveness, quality or safety. The publisher and the editor(s) disclaim responsibility for any injury to persons or property resulting from any ideas, methods, instructions or products referred to in the content or advertisements.