To view the fulltext, please log in
To view the pdf, please log in
Teratomas with malignant transformation occur in a small proportion of patients with metastatic germ cell tumors treated with platinum-based chemotherapy. Chondrosarcoma has rarely been reported as a component of the second non-germ cell malignancy. We report the case of a 37-year-old man who developed a chondrosarcoma in a recurrent retroperitoneal mass after chemotherapy for testicular germ cell tumor. Malignant transformation of the retroperitoneal teratomatous mass occurred in the absence of any symptoms or clinical signs, elevation in serum tumor markers, or the presence of atypical elements in previously resected specimens, suggesting the need for close radiographic follow-up of these patients.
Copyright / Drug Dosage
Copyright: All rights reserved. No part of this publication may be translated into other languages, reproduced or utilized in any form or by any means, electronic or mechanical, including photocopying, recording, microcopying, or by any information storage and retrieval system, without permission in writing from the publisher or, in the case of photocopying, direct payment of a specified fee to the Copyright Clearance Center.
Drug Dosage: The authors and the publisher have exerted every effort to ensure that drug selection and dosage set forth in this text are in accord with current recommendations and practice at the time of publication. However, in view of ongoing research, changes in goverment regulations, and the constant flow of information relating to drug therapy and drug reactions, the reader is urged to check the package insert for each drug for any changes in indications and dosage and for added warnings and precautions. This is particularly important when the recommended agent is a new and/or infrequently employed drug.
Disclaimer: The statements, opinions and data contained in this publication are solely those of the individual authors and contributors and not of the publishers and the editor(s). The appearance of advertisements or/and product references in the publication is not a warranty, endorsement, or approval of the products or services advertised or of their effectiveness, quality or safety. The publisher and the editor(s) disclaim responsibility for any injury to persons or property resulting from any ideas, methods, instructions or products referred to in the content or advertisements.
- Little JS Jr, Foster RS, Ulbright TM, Donohue JP: Unusual neoplasms detected in testicular cancer patients undergoing postchemotherapy retroperitoneal lymphadenectomy. World J Urol 1994;12:200–206.
- Sonneveld DJ, Sleijfer DT, Koops HS, Keemers-Gels ME, Molenaar WM, Hoekstra HJ: Mature teratoma identified after postchemotherapy surgery in patients with disseminated nonseminomatous testicular germ cell tumors: a plea for an aggressive surgical approach. Cancer 1998;82:1343–1351.
- Comiter CV, Kibel AS, Richie JP, Nucci MR, Renshaw AA: Prognostic features of teratomas with malignant transformation: a clinicopathological study of 21 cases. J Urol 1998;159:859–863.
- Motzer RJ, Amsterdam A, Prieto V, Sheinfeld J, Murty VV, Mazumdar M, Bosl GJ, Chaganti RS, Reuter VE: Teratoma with malignant transformation: Diverse malignant histologies arising in men with germ cell tumors. J Urol 1998;159:133–138.
- Castedo SM, de Jong B, Oosterhuis JW, Idenburg VJ, Seruca R, Buist J, te Meerman GJ, Schraffordt Koops H, Sleijfer DT: Chromosomal changes in mature residual teratomas following polychemotherapy. Cancer Res 1989;49:672–676.
- Schmoll HJ, Souchon R, Krege S, Albers P, Beyer J, Kollmannsberger C, Fossa SD, Skakkebaek NE, de Wit R, Fizazi K, Droz JP, Pizzocaro G, Daugaard G, de Mulder PH, Horwich A, Oliver T, Huddart R, Rosti G, Paz Ares L, Pont O, Hartmann JT, Aass N, Algaba F, Bamberg M, Bodrogi I, Bokemeyer C, Classen J, Clemm S, Culine S, de Wit M, Derigs HG, Dieckmann KP, Flasshove M, Garcia del Muro X, Gerl A, Germa-Lluch JR, Hartmann M, Heidenreich A, Hoeltl W, Joffe J, Jones W, Kaiser G, Klepp O, Kliesch S, Kisbenedek L, Koehrmann KU, Kuczyk M, Laguna MP, Leiva O, Loy V, Mason MD, Mead GM, Mueller RP, Nicolai N, Oosterhof GO, Pottek T, Rick O, Schmidberger H, Sedlmayer F, Siegert W, Studer U, Tjulandin S, von der Maase H, Walz P, Weinknecht S, Weissbach L, Winter E, Wittekind C, European Germ Cell Cancer Consensus Group: European consensus on diagnosis and treatment of germ cell cancer: a report of the European Germ Cell Cancer Consensus Group (EGCCCG). Ann Oncol 2004;15:1377–1399.
- Donadio AC, Motzer RJ, Bajorin DF, Kantoff PW, Sheinfeld J, Houldsworth J, Chaganti RS, Bosl GJ: Chemotherapy for teratoma with malignant transformation. J Clin Oncol 2003;21:4285–4291.