Relative Importance of Residual Renal Function and Convection in Determining Beta-2-Microglobulin Levels in High-Flux Haemodialysis and On-Line HaemodiafiltrationFry A.C. · Singh D.K. · Chandna S.M. · Farrington K.
Renal Unit, Lister Hospital, Stevenage, UK
Do you have an account?
- Rent for 48h to view
- Buy Cloud Access for unlimited viewing via different devices
- Synchronizing in the ReadCube Cloud
- Printing and saving restrictions apply
Rental: USD 8.50
Cloud: USD 20.00
Article / Publication Details
- Gejyo F, Yamada T, Odani S, Nakagawa Y, Arakawa M, Kunitomo T, Kataoka H, Suzuki M, Hirasawa Y, Shirahama T: A new form of amyloid protein associated with chronic hemodialysis was identified as beta 2-microglobulin. Biochem Biophys Res Commun 1985;129:701–706.
- Gejyo F, Homma N, Suzuki Y, Arakawa M: Serum levels of beta 2-microglobulin as a new form of amyloid protein in patients undergoing long-term hemodialysis. N Engl J Med 1986;314:585–586.
- Drueke TB: Beta-2-microglobulin and amyloidosis. Nephrol Dial Transplant 2000;15(suppl 1):17–24.
van Ypersele DS, Jadoul M, Malghem J, Maldague B, Jamart J: Effect of dialysis membrane and patient’s age on signs of dialysis-related amyloidosis. The Working Party on Dialysis Amyloidosis. Kidney Int 1991;39:1012–1019.
- Baz M, Durand C, Ragon A, Jaber K, Andrieu D, Merzouk T, Purgus R, Olmer M, Reynier JP, Berland Y: Using ultrapure water in hemodialysis delays carpal tunnel syndrome. Int J Artif Organs 1991;14:681–685.
- Yamammoto S, Geiyo F: Historical background and clinical treatment of dialysis-related amyloidosis. Biochim Biophys Acta 2005;1753:4–10.
- Locatelli F, Marcelli C, Conte F, Limido A, Malberti F, Spotti D: Comparison of mortality in ESRD patients on diffusive and convective extracorporeal treatments. The Registro Lombardi Dialisi E Trapianto. Kidney Int 1999;55:286–293.
- Ward RA, Schmidt B, Hullin J, Hillebrand GF, Samtleben W: A comparison of on-line hemodiafiltration and high-flux hemodialysis: a prospective clinical study. J Am Soc Nephrol 2000;11:2344–2350.
- Wizemann V, Lotz C, Techert F, Uthoff S: On-line haemodiafiltration versus low-flux haemodialysis: a prospective randomized study. Nephrol Dial Transplant 2000;15(suppl 1):43–48.
- Blumberg A, Burgi W: Behavior of beta 2-microglobulin in patients with chronic renal failure undergoing hemodialysis, hemodiafiltration and continuous ambulatory peritoneal dialysis (CAPD). Clin Nephrol 1987;27:245–249.
- Brown PH, Kalra PA, Turney JH, Cooper EH: Serum low-molecular-weight proteins in haemodialysis patients: effect of residual renal function. Nephrol Dial Transplant 1988;3:169–173.
- McCarthy JT, Williams AW, Johnson WJ: Serum beta 2-microglobulin concentration in dialysis patients: importance of intrinsic renal function. J Lab Clin Med 1994;123:495–505.
- Pickett TM, Cruickshank A, Greenwood RN, Taube D, Davenport A, Farrington K: Membrane flux not biocompatibility determines beta-2-microglobulin levels in hemodialysis patients. Blood Purif 2002;20:161–166.
- Kabanda A, Jadoul M, Pochet JM, Lauwerys R, van Ypersele DS, Bernard A: Determinants of the serum concentrations of low molecular weight proteins in patients on maintenance hemodialysis. Kidney Int 1994;45:1689–1696.
- Spalding E, Farrington K: Haemodiafiltration: current status. Nephron Clin Pract 2003;93:c87–c96.
- Fiore G, Ronco C: Mathematical model to characterise internal filtration. Contrib Nephrol 2005;149:27–34.
- Lucchi L, Fiore G, Guadagne G, Perrone S, Caruso F, Fumero R, Albertazzi A: Clinical evaluation of internal hemodiafiltration (iHDF): a diffusive-convective technique performed with internal filtration enhanced high-flux dialyzers. Int J Artif Organs 2004;27:414–419.
- Lin CL, Yang CW, Chiang CC, Chang CT, Huang CC: Long-term on-line hemodiafiltration reduces predialysis beta-2-microglobulin levels in chronic hemodialysis patients. Blood Purif 2001;19:301–307.
- Merello Godino JI, Rentero R, Orlandini G, Marcelli D, Ronco C: Results from EuCliD (European Clinical Dialysis Database): impact of shifting treatment modality. Int J Artif Organs 2002;25:1049–1060.
- Chandna S, Farrington K: Residual renal function: considerations on its importance and preservation in dialysis patients. Semin Dial 2004;17:196–201.
- McKane W, Chandna S, Tattersall J, Greenwood R, Farrington K: Identical decline of residual renal function in high-flux biocompatible hemodialysis and CAPD. Kidney Int 2002;61:256–265.
- Maeda K, Shinzato T, Ota T, Kobayakawa H, Takai I, Fujita Y, Morita H: Beta-2-microglobulin generation rate and clearance rate in maintenance hemodialysis patients. Nephron 1990;56:118–125.
- Chanard J, Caudwell V, Valeire J, Vincent C, Randoux C, Wuillai A, Wynckel A: Kinetics of 131I-beta2 microglobulin in hemodialysis patients: assessment using total body counting. Artif Organs 1998;22:574–580.
- Furuya R, Kumagai H, Takahashi M, Sano K, Hishida A: Ultrapure dialysate reduces plasma levels of beta2-microglobulin and pentosidine in hemodialysis patients. Blood Purif 2005;23:311–316.
- Arizono K, Nomura K, Motoyama T, Matsushita Y, Matsuoka K, Miyazu R, Takeshita H, Fukui H: Use of ultrapure dialysate in reduction of chronic inflammation during hemodialysis. Blood Purif 2004;22(suppl 2):26–29.
- Zumrutdal A, Sezer S, Demircan S, Seydaoglu G, Ozdemir FN, Haberal M: Cardiac troponin I and beta 2 microglobulin as risk factors for early-onset atherosclerosis in patients on haemodialysis. Nephrology (Carlton) 2005;10:453–458.
- Floege J, Bartsch A, Schulze M, Shaldon S, Koch KM, Smeby LC: Clearance and synthesis rates of beta 2-microglobulin in patients undergoing hemodialysis and in normal subjects. J Lab Clin Med 1991;118:153–165.
- Xu XQ, Gruner N, Al Bashir A, Trutt-Ibing CH, Melzer H, Fassbinder W, Stiller JS, Manm H: Determination of extra renal clearance and generation rate of beta2-microglobulin in hemodialysis patients using a kinetic model. ASAIO J 2001;47:623–627.
- Ward RA, Greene T, Hartmann B, Samtleben W: Resistance to intercompartmental mass transfer limits beta2-microglobulin removal by post-dilution hemodiafiltration. Kidney Int 2006;69:1431–1437.
- Evenepoel P, Bammens B, Verbeke K, Vanrenterghem Y: Superior dialytic clearance of β2-microglobulin and p-cresol by high-flux hemodialysis as compared to peritoneal dialysis. Kidney Int 2006;70:794–799.
- Krieter DH, Falkenhain S, Chalabi L, Collins G, Lemke HD, Canaud B: Clinical cross-over comparison of mid-dilution hemodiafiltration using a novel dialyzer concept and post-dilution hemodiafiltration. Kidney Int 2005;67:349–356.
- Maduell F, Navarro V, Torregrosa E, Ruis A, Dicenta F, Cruz M, Ferraro J: Change from three times weekly on-line hemodiafiltration to short daily on-line hemodiafiltration. Kidney Int 2003;64:305–313.
Article / Publication Details
Copyright / Drug Dosage / DisclaimerCopyright: All rights reserved. No part of this publication may be translated into other languages, reproduced or utilized in any form or by any means, electronic or mechanical, including photocopying, recording, microcopying, or by any information storage and retrieval system, without permission in writing from the publisher.
Drug Dosage: The authors and the publisher have exerted every effort to ensure that drug selection and dosage set forth in this text are in accord with current recommendations and practice at the time of publication. However, in view of ongoing research, changes in government regulations, and the constant flow of information relating to drug therapy and drug reactions, the reader is urged to check the package insert for each drug for any changes in indications and dosage and for added warnings and precautions. This is particularly important when the recommended agent is a new and/or infrequently employed drug.
Disclaimer: The statements, opinions and data contained in this publication are solely those of the individual authors and contributors and not of the publishers and the editor(s). The appearance of advertisements or/and product references in the publication is not a warranty, endorsement, or approval of the products or services advertised or of their effectiveness, quality or safety. The publisher and the editor(s) disclaim responsibility for any injury to persons or property resulting from any ideas, methods, instructions or products referred to in the content or advertisements.