Atypical Antipsychotics: CATIE Study, Drug-Induced Movement Disorder and Resulting Iatrogenic Psychiatric-Like Symptoms, Supersensitivity Rebound Psychosis and Withdrawal Discontinuation SyndromesChouinard G. · Chouinard V.-A.
Fernand-Séguin Research Centre, Hôpital Louis-H. Lafontaine, Department of Psychiatry, University of Montreal, and Clinical Psychopharmacology Unit, McGill University, Montreal, Que., Canada
Do you have an account?
- Rent for 48h to view
- Buy Cloud Access for unlimited viewing via different devices
- Synchronizing in the ReadCube Cloud
- Printing and saving restrictions apply
Rental: USD 8.50
Cloud: USD 20.00
- Falloon IR: Antipsychotic drugs: when and how to withdraw them? Psychother Psychosom 2006;75:133–138.
- Fava GA: Can long-term treatment with antidepressant drugs worsen the course of depression? J Clin Psychiatry 2003;64:123–133.
- Lambert TJ: Switching antipsychotic therapy: what to expect and clinical strategies for improving therapeutic outcomes. J Clin Psychiatry 2007;68:10–13.
Chouinard G, Annable L, Ross-Chouinard A, Mercier P: A 5-year prospective longitudinal study of tardive dyskinesia: factors predicting appearance of new cases. J Clin Psychopharmacol 1988;8(suppl):S21–S26.
- Lieberman JA, Stroup TS, McEvoy JP, Swartz MS, Rosenheck RA, Perkins DO, Keefe RS, Davis SM, Davis CE, Lebowitz BD, Severe J, Hsiao JK: Effectiveness of antipsychotic drugs in patients with chronic schizophrenia. N Engl J Med 2005;353:1209–1223.
ISCTM Third Annual Mid-Year Conference. Brussels, 17–18 September 2007.
- Morrens M, Hulstijn W, Sabbe B: Psychomotor slowing in schizophrenia. Schizophr Bull 2007;33:1038–1053.
- Margolese HC, Chouinard G, Kolivakis TT, Beauclair L, Miller R: Tardive dyskinesia in the era of typical and atypical antipsychotics. 1. Pathophysiology and mechanisms of induction. Can J Psychiatry 2005;50:541–547.
- Chouinard G, Jones B, Remington G, Bloom D, Addington D, MacEwan GW, Labelle A, Beauclair L, Arnott W: A Canadian multicenter placebo-controlled study of fixed doses of risperidone and haloperidol in the treatment of chronic schizophrenic patients. J Clin Psychopharmacol 1993;13:25–40.
Chouinard G: New nomenclature for drug-induced movement disorders including tardive dyskinesia. J Clin Psychiatry 2004;65(suppl):S9–S15.
- Marder SR, Meibach RC: Risperidone in the treatment of schizophrenia. Am J Psychiatry 1994;151:825–835.
- Chouinard G, Albright PS: Economic and health state utility determinations for schizophrenic patients treated with risperidone or haloperidol. J Clin Psychopharmacol 1997;17:298–307.
- Addington DE, Jones B, Bloom D, Chouinard G, Remington G, Albright P: Reduction of hospital days in chronic schizophrenic patients treated with risperidone: a retrospective study. Clin Ther 1993;15:917–926.
- Chouinard G, Arnott W: Clinical review of risperidone. Can J Psychiatry 1993;38 (suppl 3):S89–S95.
- Chouinard G, Kopala L, Labelle A, Beauclair L, Johnson SV, Singh KI: Phase-IV multicentre clinical study of risperidone in the treatment of outpatients with schizophrenia. The RIS-CAN-3 Study Group. Can J Psychiatry 1998;43:1018–1025.
- Marder SR, Davis JM, Chouinard G: The effects of risperidone on the five dimensions of schizophrenia derived by factor analysis: combined results of the North American trials. J Clin Psychiatry 1997;58:538–546.
- Moller HJ, Muller H, Borison RL, Schooler NR, Chouinard G: A path-analytical approach to differentiate between direct and indirect drug effects on negative symptoms in schizophrenic patients. A re-evaluation of the North American risperidone study. Eur Arch Psychiatry Clin Neurosci 1995;245:45–49.
- Seeman P, Tallerico T: Rapid release of antipsychotic drugs from dopamine D2 receptors: an explanation for low receptor occupancy and early clinical relapse upon withdrawal of clozapine or quetiapine. Am J Psychiatry 1999;156:876–884.
- Margolese HC, Chouinard G, Beauclair L, Belanger MC: Therapeutic tolerance and rebound psychosis during quetiapine maintenance monotherapy in patients with schizophrenia and schizoaffective disorder. J Clin Psychopharmacol 2002;22:347–352.
- Chouinard G, Margolese HC: Manual for the Extrapyramidal Symptom Rating Scale (ESRS). Schizophr Res 2005;76:247–265.
- Chouinard G, Boisvert D, Bradwejn J: Tardive dyskinesia in a nonpsychiatric patient due to short-term use of a neuroleptic/anticholinergic combination drug. Can Med Assoc J 1982;126:821–822, 827.
- Chouinard G, Jones BD: Early onset of tardive dyskinesia: case report. Am J Psychiatry 1979;136:1323–1324.
- Margolese HC, Chouinard G, Kolivakis TT, Beauclair L, Miller R, Annable L: Tardive dyskinesia in the era of typical and atypical antipsychotics. 2. Incidence and management strategies in patients with schizophrenia. Can J Psychiatry 2005;50:703–714.
- Chouinard G, Steinberg S: Type I tardive dyskinesia induced by anticholinergic drugs, dopamine agonists and neuroleptics. Prog Neuropsychopharmacol Biol Psychiatry 1982;6:571–578.
- Chouinard G, Annable L, Ross-Chouinard A, Nestoros JN: Factors related to tardive dyskinesia. Am J Psychiatry 1979;136:79–82.
- Ghadirian AM, Annable L, Belanger MC, Chouinard G: A cross-sectional study of parkinsonism and tardive dyskinesia in lithium-treated affective disordered patients. J Clin Psychiatry 1996;57:22–28.
- Chouinard G: Interrelations between psychiatric symptoms and drug-induced movement disorder. J Psychiatry Neurosci 2006;31:177–180.
- Barnes TR, Kidger T, Gore SM: Tardive dyskinesia: a 3-year follow-up study. Psychol Med 1983;13:71–81.
- Kane JM, Woerner M, Borenstein M, Wegner J, Lieberman J: Integrating incidence and prevalence of tardive dyskinesia. Psychopharmacol Bull 1986;22:254–258.
- Yassa R, Jeste DV: Gender differences in tardive dyskinesia: a critical review of the literature. Schizophr Bull 1992;18:701–715.
- Kane JM, Smith JM: Tardive dyskinesia: prevalence and risk factors, 1959 to 1979. Arch Gen Psychiatry 1982;39:473–481.
Chouinard G: Effects of risperidone in tardive dyskinesia: an analysis of the Canadian multicenter risperidone study. J Clin Psychopharmacol 1995;15(suppl 1):S36–S44.
- Chouinard G, Lasser R, Bossie C, Zhu Y, Gharabawi G: Does a long-acting atypical antipsychotic offer a low risk of tardive dyskinesia in patients with schizophrenia? Schizophr Res 2003;60:277.
- Meltzer HY, Alphs L, Green AI, Altamura AC, Anand R, Bertoldi A, Bourgeois M, Chouinard G, Islam MZ, Kane J, Krishnan R, Lindenmayer JP, Potkin S: Clozapine treatment for suicidality in schizophrenia: International Suicide Prevention Trial (InterSePT). Arch Gen Psychiatry 2003;60:82–91.
Chouinard G, Margolese H, Alphs L, Larach-Walters V, Beauclair L, Anand R: Relationship between baseline extrapyramidal symptoms and suicidality in schizophrenic subjects included in the InterSePT trial. Biol Psychiatry 2002;51(suppl):S20–S21.
Chouinard G, Bhanji NH, Light M, Margolese HC: Patient characteristics, symptom severity, and movement disorders in patients with schizophrenia and schizoaffective disorder. Biol Psychiatry 2003;53(suppl):S21.
- Correll CU, Leucht S, Kane JM: Lower risk for tardive dyskinesia associated with second-generation antipsychotics: a systematic review of 1-year studies. Am J Psychiatry 2004;161:414–425.
- Jeste DV, Okamoto A, Napolitano J, Kane JM, Martinez RA: Low incidence of persistent tardive dyskinesia in elderly patients with dementia treated with risperidone. Am J Psychiatry 2000;157:1150–1155.
- Kane JM: Tardive dyskinesia circa 2006. Am J Psychiatry 2006;163:1316–1318.
- Kay SR, Opler LA, Lindenmayer JP: The Positive and Negative Syndrome Scale (PANSS): rationale and standardisation. Br J Psychiatry Suppl 1989;7:59–67.
- Kay SR, Opler LA, Lindenmayer JP: Reliability and validity of the positive and negative syndrome scale for schizophrenics. Psychiatry Res 1988;23:99–110.
- Haro JM, Edgell ET, Jones PB, Alonso J, Gavart S, Gregor KJ, Wright P, Knapp M: The European Schizophrenia Outpatient Health Outcomes (SOHO) study: rationale, methods and recruitment. Acta Psychiatr Scand 2003;107:222–232.
- Miller DD, McEvoy JP, Davis SM, Caroff SN, Saltz BL, Chakos MH, Swartz MS, Keefe RS, Rosenheck RA, Stroup TS, Lieberman JA: Clinical correlates of tardive dyskinesia in schizophrenia: baseline data from the CATIE schizophrenia trial. Schizophr Res 2005;80:33–43.
- Tenback DE, van Harten PN, Slooff CJ, van Os J: Worsening of psychosis in schizophrenia is longitudinally associated with tardive dyskinesia in the European Schizophrenia Outpatient Health Outcomes study. Compr Psychiatry 2007;48:436–440.
- Tenback DE, van Harten PN, Slooff CJ, van Os J: Evidence that early extrapyramidal symptoms predict later tardive dyskinesia: a prospective analysis of 10,000 patients in the European Schizophrenia Outpatient Health Outcomes (SOHO) study. Am J Psychiatry 2006;163:1438–1440.
- Tenback DE, van Harten PN, Slooff CJ, Belger MA, van Os J: Effects of antipsychotic treatment on tardive dyskinesia: a 6-month evaluation of patients from the European Schizophrenia Outpatient Health Outcomes (SOHO) study. J Clin Psychiatry 2005;66:1130–1133.
- Tenback DE, van Harten PN, Slooff CJ, van Os J: Tardive dyskinesia in schizophrenia is associated with prolactin-related sexual disturbances. Neuropsychopharmacology 2006;31:1832–1837.
- Ghadirian AM, Chouinard G, Annable L: Sexual dysfunction and plasma prolactin levels in neuroleptic-treated schizophrenic outpatients. J Nerv Ment Dis 1982;170:463–467.
- Van Putten T, Mutalipassi LR, Malkin MD: Phenothiazine-induced decompensation. Arch Gen Psychiatry 1974;30:102–105.
- Van Putten T, May RP: ‘Akinetic depression’ in schizophrenia. Arch Gen Psychiatry 1978;35:1101–1107.
Rifkin A, Quitkin F, Klein DF: Akinesia: a poorly recognized drug-induced extrapyramidal behavioral disorder. Arch Gen Psychiatry 1975;32:672–674.
Margolese HC, Chouinard G, Walters-Larach V, Beauclair L: Relationship between antipsychotic-induced akathisia and tardive dyskinesia and suicidality in schizophrenia: impact of clozapine and olanzapine. Acta Psychiatr Belg 2001;101:128–144.
- Chouinard G, Jones BD, Annable L: Neuroleptic-induced supersensitivity psychosis. Am J Psychiatry 1978;135:1409–1410.
- Chouinard G, Jones BD: Neuroleptic-induced supersensitivity psychosis: clinical and pharmacologic characteristics. Am J Psychiatry 1980;137:16–21.
- Chouinard G, Annable L, Ross-Chouinard A: Supersensitivity psychosis and tardive dyskinesia: a survey in schizophrenic outpatients. Psychopharmacol Bull 1986;22:891–896.
- Chouinard G, Creese I, Boisvert D, Annable L, Bradwejn J, Jones B: High neuroleptic plasma levels in patients manifesting supersensitivity psychosis. Biol Psychiatry 1982;17:849–852.
- Chouinard G, Bradwejn J, Annable L, Jones BD, Ross-Chouinard A: Withdrawal symptoms after long-term treatment with low-potency neuroleptics. J Clin Psychiatry 1984;45:500–502.
- Kales A, Scharf MB, Kales JD: Rebound insomnia: a new clinical syndrome. Science 1978;201:1039–1041.
- Fontaine R, Chouinard G, Annable L: Rebound anxiety in anxious patients after abrupt withdrawal of benzodiazepine treatment. Am J Psychiatry 1984;141:848–852.
Chouinard G: Rebound anxiety: incidence and relationship to subjective cognitive impairment. J Clin Psychiatry Monogr 1986;4:12–16.
- Bhanji NH, Chouinard G, Kolivakis T, Margolese HC: Persistent tardive rebound panic disorder, rebound anxiety and insomnia following paroxetine withdrawal: a review of rebound-withdrawal phenomena. Can J Clin Pharmacol 2006;13:e69–e74.
- Chouinard G: Issues in the clinical use of benzodiazepines: potency, withdrawal, and rebound. J Clin Psychiatry 2004;65(suppl 5):7–12.
- Fava GA, Bernardi M, Tomba E, Rafanelli C: Effects of gradual discontinuation of selective serotonin reuptake inhibitors in panic disorder with agoraphobia. Int J Neuropsychopharmacol 2007;10:835–838.
- Chouinard G: Severe cases of neuroleptic-induced supersensitivity psychosis. Diagnostic criteria for the disorder and its treatment. Schizophr Res 1991;5:21–33.
- Moncrieff J: Why is it so difficult to stop psychiatric drug treatment? It may be nothing to do with the original problem. Med Hypotheses 2006;67:517–523.
- Moncrieff J: Does antipsychotic withdrawal provoke psychosis? Review of the literature on rapid onset psychosis (supersensitivity psychosis) and withdrawal-related relapse. Acta Psychiatr Scand 2006;114:3–13.
- Fava M, Schmidt ME, Zhang S, Gonzales J, Raute NJ, Judge R: Treatment approaches to major depressive disorder relapse. 2. Reinitiation of antidepressant treatment. Psychother Psychosom 2002;71:195–199.
- Baldessarini RJ, Ghaemi SN, Viguera AC: Tolerance in antidepressant treatment. Psychother Psychosom 2002;71:177–179.
- Schmidt ME, Fava M, Zhang S, Gonzales J, Raute NJ, Judge R: Treatment approaches to major depressive disorder relapse. 1. Dose increase. Psychother Psychosom 2002;71:190–194.
- Shoenberger D: Discontinuing paroxetine: a personal account. Psychother Psychosom 2002;71:237–238.
- Chouinard G, Jones B: Neuroleptic-induced supersensitivity psychosis, the ‘hump course’ and tardive dyskinesia (letter). J Clin Psychopharmacol 1982;2:143–144.
- Chouinard G, Annable L, Ross-Chouinard A: Fluphenazine enanthate and fluphenazine decanoate in the treatment of schizophrenic outpatients: extrapyramidal symptoms and therapeutic effect. Am J Psychiatry 1982;139:312–318.
- Miller R, Chouinard G: Loss of striatal cholinergic neurons as a basis for tardive and L-dopa-induced dyskinesias, neuroleptic- induced supersensitivity psychosis and refractory schizophrenia. Biol Psychiatry 1993;34:713–738.
- Seeman P, Schwarz J, Chen JF, Szechtman H, Perreault M, McKnight GS, Roder JC, Quirion R, Boksa P, Srivastava LK, Yanai K, Weinshenker D, Sumiyoshi T: Psychosis pathways converge via D2 high dopamine receptors. Synapse 2006;60:319–346.
Chouinard G, Annable L, Ross-Chouinard A, Holobow N: A ten year follow-up of supersensitivity psychosis. Biol Psychiatry 1990;27:110A.
- Kapur S, Seeman P: Does fast dissociation from the dopamine D2 receptor explain the action of atypical antipsychotics? A new hypothesis. Am J Psychiatry 2001;158:360–369.
- Ekblom B, Eriksson K, Lindstrom LH: Supersensitivity psychosis in schizophrenic patients after sudden clozapine withdrawal. Psychopharmacology (Berl) 1984;83:293–294.
Miller R: A Theory of the Basal Ganglia and Their Disorders. Boca Raton, CRC Press, 2008.
- Llorca PM, Vaiva G, Lancon C: Supersensitivity psychosis in patients with schizophrenia after sudden olanzapine withdrawal. Can J Psychiatry 2001;46:87–88.
- Chouinard G, Sultan S: Treatment of neuroleptic-induced supersensitivity psychosis with antiepileptic drugs: report of a series of 43 cases. Psychopharmacol Bull 1990;26:337–341.
- Citrome L, Jaffe A, Levine J, Allingham B: Use of mood stabilizers among patients with schizophrenia, 1994–2001. Psychiatr Serv 2002;53:1212.
- Kremer I, Vass A, Gorelik I, Bar G, Blanaru M, Javitt DC, Heresco-Levy U: Placebo-controlled trial of lamotrigine added to conventional and atypical antipsychotics in schizophrenia. Biol Psychiatry 2004;56:441–446.
- Dursun SM, McIntosh D, Milliken H: Clozapine plus lamotrigine in treatment-resistant schizophrenia. Arch Gen Psychiatry 1999;56:950.
- Chouinard G, Beauclair L, Belanger MC: Gabapentin: long-term antianxiety and hypnotic effects in psychiatric patients with comorbid anxiety-related disorders. Can J Psychiatry 1998;43:305.
- Goldberg JF, Burdick KE: Cognitive side effects of anticonvulsants. J Clin Psychiatry 2001;62(suppl 14):S27–S33.
- Large CH, Webster EL, Goff DC: The potential role of lamotrigine in schizophrenia. Psychopharmacology (Berl) 2005;181:415–436.
- Zipp F, Burklin F, Stecker K, Baas H, Fischer PA: Lamotrigine in Parkinson’s disease – a double blind study. J Neural Transm Park Dis Dement Sect 1995;10:199–206.
- Kolivakis TT, Beauclair L, Margolese HC, Chouinard G: Long-term lamotrigine adjunctive to antipsychotic monotherapy in schizophrenia: further evidence. Can J Psychiatry 2004;49:280.
- Malhotra AK, Murphy GM Jr, Kennedy JL: Pharmacogenetics of psychotropic drug response. Am J Psychiatry 2004;161:780–796.
Article / Publication Details
Copyright / Drug Dosage / DisclaimerCopyright: All rights reserved. No part of this publication may be translated into other languages, reproduced or utilized in any form or by any means, electronic or mechanical, including photocopying, recording, microcopying, or by any information storage and retrieval system, without permission in writing from the publisher.
Drug Dosage: The authors and the publisher have exerted every effort to ensure that drug selection and dosage set forth in this text are in accord with current recommendations and practice at the time of publication. However, in view of ongoing research, changes in government regulations, and the constant flow of information relating to drug therapy and drug reactions, the reader is urged to check the package insert for each drug for any changes in indications and dosage and for added warnings and precautions. This is particularly important when the recommended agent is a new and/or infrequently employed drug.
Disclaimer: The statements, opinions and data contained in this publication are solely those of the individual authors and contributors and not of the publishers and the editor(s). The appearance of advertisements or/and product references in the publication is not a warranty, endorsement, or approval of the products or services advertised or of their effectiveness, quality or safety. The publisher and the editor(s) disclaim responsibility for any injury to persons or property resulting from any ideas, methods, instructions or products referred to in the content or advertisements.