Glutathione Peroxidase 1 C593T Polymorphism Is Associated with Lobar Intracerebral HemorrhagePera J. · Slowik A. · Dziedzic T. · Pulyk R. · Wloch D. · Szczudlik A.
Department of Neurology, Jagiellonian University, Krakow, Poland
Do you have an account?
- Rent for 48h to view
- Buy Cloud Access for unlimited viewing via different devices
- Synchronizing in the ReadCube Cloud
- Printing and saving restrictions apply
Rental: USD 8.50
Cloud: USD 20.00
Article / Publication Details
Background: Oxidative stress plays an important role in vascular pathology and contributes to the pathophysiology of primary intracerebral hemorrhage (PICH). Glutathione peroxidase 1 (GPX1) is a key enzyme of the antioxidant system. Here, we investigated whether a functional C593T polymorphism of GPX1 gene is associated with PICH in a Polish population. Methods: Genotyping was performed in 192 PICH patients and 197 unrelated controls matched for age and sex. All were of Caucasian origin. The C593T GPX1 polymorphism was investigated using the polymerase chain reaction/restriction fragment length polymorphism method. Results: Multivariable logistic regression analysis revealed a significant association between genotypes containing the T allele and the entire PICH group (OR = 1.53; 95% CI = 1.02–2.29) and lobar PICH (OR = 2.36; 95% CI = 1.31–4.26) but not nonlobar PICH (OR = 1.19; 95% CI = 0.75–1.89). Conclusions: We found a positive association between the studied GPX1 polymorphism and lobar PICH in a Polish population.
© 2008 S. Karger AG, Basel
- Woo D, Sauerbeck LR, Kissela BM, Khoury JC, Szaflarski JP, Gebel J, Shukla R, Pancioli AM, Jauch EC, Menon AG, Deka R, Carrozzella JA, Moomaw CJ, Fontaine RN, Broderick JP: Genetic and environmental risk factors for intracerebral hemorrhage: preliminary results of a population-based study. Stroke 2002;33:1190–1195.
- Labovitz DL, Halim A, Boden-Albala B, Hauser WA, Sacco RL: The incidence of deep and lobar intracerebral hemorrhage in whites, blacks, and Hispanics. Neurology 2005;65:518–522.
- Jackson CA, Sudlow CLM: Is hypertension a more frequent risk factor for deep than lobar supratentorial intracerebral hemorrhage? J Neurol Neurosurg Psychiatry 2006;77:1244–1252.
- Sudlow C, Martinez Gonzalez NA, Kim J, Clark C: Does apolipoprotein E genotype influence the risk of ischemic stroke, intracerebral hemorrhage, or subarachnoid hemorrhage? Systematic review and meta-analyses of 31 studies among 5,961 cases and 17,965 controls. Stroke 2006;37:364–370.
- Zahuranec DB, Brown DL, Lisabeth LD, Gonzales NR, Longwell PJ, Eden SV, Smith MA, Garcia NM, Morgenstern LB: Differences in intracerebral hemorrhage between Mexican Americans and non-Hispanic whites. Neurology 2006;66:30–34.
- Sacco RL: Lobar intracerebral hemorrhage. N Engl J Med 2000;342:276–279.
- Mueller CFH, Laude K, McNally JS, Harrison DG: Redox mechanisms in blood vessels. Arterioscler Thromb Vasc Biol 2005;25:274–278.
- Munoz FJ, Opazo C, Gil-Gomez G, Tapia G, Fernandez V, Valverde MA, Inestrosa NC: Vitamin E but not 17beta-estradiol protects against vascular toxicity induced by beta-amyloid wild type and the Dutch amyloid variant. J Neurosci 2002;22:3081–3089.
- Crack PJ, Cimdins K, Ali U, Hertzog PJ, Iannello RC: Lack of glutathione peroxidase-1 exacerbates Aβ-mediated neurotoxicity in cortical neurons. J Neural Transm 2006;113:645–657.
- Kiss C, Li J, Szeles A, Gizatullin RZ, Kashuba VI, Lushnikova T, Protopopov AI, Kelve M, Kiss H, Kholodnyuk ID, Imreh S, Klein G, Zabarovsky ER: Assignment of the ARHA and GPX1 genes to human chromosome bands 3p21.3 by in situ hybridization and with somatic cell hybrids. Cytogenet Cell Genet 1997;79:228–230.
- Hamanishi T, Furuta H, Kato H, Doi A, Tamai M, Shimomura H, Sakagashira S, Nishi M, Sasaki H, Sanke T, Nanjo K: Functional variants in the glutathione peroxidase-1 (GPx-1) gene are associated with increased intima-media thickness of carotid arteries and risk of macrovascular diseases in Japanese type 2 diabetic patients. Diabetes 2004;53:2455–2460.
- Hu YJ, Diamond AM: Role of glutathione peroxidase 1 in breast cancer: loss of heterozygosity and allelic differences in the response to selenium. Cancer Res 2003;63:3347–3351.
- Slowik A, Turaj W, Dziedzic T, Haefele A, Pera J, Malecki MT, Glodzik-Sobanska L, Szermer P, Figlewicz DA, Szczudlik A: DD genotype of ACE gene is a risk factor for spontaneous intracerebral hemorrhage. Neurology 2004;63:359–361.
- Zhao H, Liang D, Grossman B, Wu X: Glutathione peroxidase 1 gene polymorphism and risk of recurrence in patients with superficial bladder cancer. Urology 2005;66:769–774.
- Hixson J, Vernier D: Restriction isotyping of human apolipoprotein E by gene amplification and cleavage with HhaI. J Lipid Res 1990;31:545–548.
- Ritter MA, Droste DW, Hegedus K, Szepesi R, Nabavi DG, Csiba L, Ringelstein EB: Role of cerebral amyloid angiopathy in intracerebral hemorrhage in hypertensive patients. Neurology 2005;64:1233–1237.
- Rensink AAM, de Waal RMW, Kremer B, Verbeek MM: Pathogenesis of cerebral amyloid angiopathy. Brain Res Rev 2003;43:207–223.
- Mazur-Kolecka B, Dickson D, Frackowiak J: Induction of vascular amyloidosis-β by oxidative stress depends on APOE genotype. Neurobiol Aging 2006;27:804–814.
- Forsberg L, de Faire U, Marklund SL, Andersson PM, Stegmayr B, Morgenstern R: Phenotype determination of a common Pro-Leu polymorphism in human glutathione peroxidase 1. Blood Cells Mol Dis 2000;26:423–426.
- Bastaki M, Huen K, Manzanillo P, Chande N, Chen C, Balmes JR, Tager IB, Holland N: Genotype-activity relationship for Mn-superoxide dismutase, glutathione peroxidase 1 and catalase in humans. Pharmacogenet Genomics 2006;16:279–286.
- Kobayashi S, Inoue N, Azumi H, Seno T, Hirata K, Kawashima S, Hayashi Y, Itoh H, Yokozaki H, Yokoyama M: Expressional changes of the vascular antioxidant system in atherosclerotic coronary arteries. J Atheroscler Thromb 2002;9:184–190.
- Forgione MA, Cap A, Liao R, Moldovan NI, Eberhardt RT, Lim CC, Jones J, Goldschmidt-Clermont PJ, Loscalzo J: Heterozygous cellular glutathione peroxidase deficiency in the mouse: abnormalities in vascular and cardiac function and structure. Circulation 2002;106:1154–1158.
- Hill MD, Silver FL, Austin PC, Tu JV: Rate of stroke recurrence in patients with primary intracerebral hemorrhage. Stroke 2000;31:123–127.
- Münzel T, Keaney JF: Are ACE inhibitors a ‘magic bullet’ against oxidative stress? Circulation 2001;104:1571–1574.
- Chapman N, Huxley R, Anderson C, Bousser MG, Chalmers J, Colman S, Davis S, Donnan G, MacMahon S, Neal B, Warlow C, Woodward M, Writing Committee for the PROGRESS Collaborative Group: Effects of a perindopril-based blood pressure-lowering regimen on the risk of recurrent stroke according to stroke subtype and medical history. The PROGRESS Trial. Stroke 2004;35:116–121.
Article / Publication Details
Copyright / Drug Dosage / DisclaimerCopyright: All rights reserved. No part of this publication may be translated into other languages, reproduced or utilized in any form or by any means, electronic or mechanical, including photocopying, recording, microcopying, or by any information storage and retrieval system, without permission in writing from the publisher.
Drug Dosage: The authors and the publisher have exerted every effort to ensure that drug selection and dosage set forth in this text are in accord with current recommendations and practice at the time of publication. However, in view of ongoing research, changes in government regulations, and the constant flow of information relating to drug therapy and drug reactions, the reader is urged to check the package insert for each drug for any changes in indications and dosage and for added warnings and precautions. This is particularly important when the recommended agent is a new and/or infrequently employed drug.
Disclaimer: The statements, opinions and data contained in this publication are solely those of the individual authors and contributors and not of the publishers and the editor(s). The appearance of advertisements or/and product references in the publication is not a warranty, endorsement, or approval of the products or services advertised or of their effectiveness, quality or safety. The publisher and the editor(s) disclaim responsibility for any injury to persons or property resulting from any ideas, methods, instructions or products referred to in the content or advertisements.