Towards Optimal Recording and Analysis of the Mismatch NegativitySinkkonen J.a,b · Tervaniemi M.b
aBioMag Laboratory, Medical Engineering Center, Helsinki University Central Hospital, Helsinki, and bCognitive Brain Research Unit, Department of Psychology, University of Helsinki, Finland
Do you have an account?
- Rent for 48h to view
- Buy Cloud Access for unlimited viewing via different devices
- Synchronizing in the ReadCube Cloud
- Printing and saving restrictions apply
Rental: USD 8.50
Cloud: USD 20.00
In this paper, the conceptual and practical issues related to the measurement of mismatch negativity (MMN) are discussed from the viewpoint of cost-efficiency. First, various criteria for efficiency or optimality of measurements are described, including reliability and signal-to-noise ratio. Then a critical look is taken at some currently used concepts and data analysis methods. Practical guidelines for the measurement and analysis of MMN are given, complementing the earlier reviews on the subject. Finally, reliability studies on MMN are critically reviewed.
© 2000 S. Karger AG, Basel
- Alho K: Cerebral generators of mismatch negativity (MMN) and its magnetic counterpart (MMNm) elicited by sound changes. Ear Hear 1995;16:38–51.
- Alho K, Connolly JF, Cheour M, Lehtokoski A, Huotilainen M, Virtanen J, Aulanko R, Ilmoniemi RJ: Hemispheric lateralization in preattentive processing of speech sounds. Neurosci Lett 1998;258:9–12.
- Alho K, Sinervo N: Pre-attentive processing of complex sounds in the human brain. Neurosci Lett 1997;233:33–36.
- Catts SV, Shelley AM, Ward PB, Liebert B, McConaghy N, Andrews S, Michie PT: Brain potential evidence for an auditory sensory memory deficit in schizophrenia. Am J Psychiatry 1995;152:213–219.
- Deouell LY, Bentin S: Variable cerebral responses to equally distinct deviance in four auditory dimensions: A mismatch negativity study. Psychophysiology 1998;35:745–754.
- Don M, Elberling C: Evaluating residual background noise in human auditory brain-stem responses. J Acoust Soc Am 1994;96:2746–2757.
Efron B, Tibshirani RJ: An Introduction to the Bootstrap. New York, Chapman Hall, 1993.
- Escera C, Grau C: Short-term replicability of the mismatch negativity. Electroencephalogr Clin Neurophysiol 1996;100:549–554.
- Frodl-Bauch T, Kathmann N, Möller H-J, Hegerl U: Dipole localization and test-retest reliability of frequency and duration mismatch negativity generator processes. Brain Topogr 1997;10:3–8.
- Hämäläinen M, Hari R, Ilmoniemi RJ, Knuutila J, Lounasmaa OV: Magnetoencephalography – Theory, instrumentation, and applications to noninvasive studies of the working human brain. Rev Mod Phys 1993;65:413–497.
Hawkins HL, Presson JC: Auditory information processing; in Boff KR, Kaufman L, Thomas JP (eds): Handbook of Perception and Human Performance. New York, Wiley, 1986, pp 26.1–64.
- Joutsiniemi S-L, Ilvonen T, Sinkkonen J, Huotilainen M, Tervaniemi M, Lehtokoski A, Rinne T, Näätänen R: The mismatch negativity for duration decrement of auditory stimuli in healthy subjects. Electroencephalogr Clin Neurophysiol 1998;108:154–159.
- Kathmann N, Frodl-Bauch T, Hegerl U: Stability of the mismatch negativity under different stimulus and attention conditions. Clin Neurophysiol 1999;110:317–323.
- Kraus N, McGee TJ, Carrell TD, Zecker SG, Nicol TG, Koch DB: Auditory neurophysiologic responses and discrimination deficits in children with learning problems. Science 1996;273:971–973.
- Lang AH, Eerola O, Korpilahti P, Holopainen I, Salo S, Aaltonen O: Practical issues in the clinical application of mismatch negativity. Ear Hear 1995;16:118–130.
Lang AH, Nyrke T, Ek M, Aaltonen O, Raimo I, Näätänen R: Pitch discrimination performance and auditive event-related potentials; in Brunia CHM, Gaillard AWK, Kok A (eds): Psychophysiological Brain Research. Tilburg, Tilburg University Press, 1990, vol 1, pp 294–298.
Levänen S, Hari R, McEvoy L, Sams M: Responses of the human auditory stimuli activate human left and right auditory cortex differently. Cereb Cortex 1993;6:288–296.
- Loewy DH, Campbell KB, Bastien C: The mismatch negativity to frequency deviant stimuli during natural sleep. Electroencephalogr Clin Neurophysiol 1996;98:493–501.
- May P, Tiitinen H, Sinkkonen J, Näätänen R: Long-term stimulation attenuates the transient 40-Hz response. Neuroreport 1994;5:1918–1920.
- McGee T, Kraus N, Nicol T: Is it really a mismatch negativity? An assessment of methods for determining response validity in individual subjects. Electroencephalogr Clin Neurophysiol 1997;104:359–368.
Näätänen R: Attention and Brain Function. Hillsdale, Erlbaum, 1992.
- Näätänen R: The mismatch negativity – A powerful tool for cognitive neuroscience. Ear Hear 1995;16:6–18.
- Näätänen R, Gaillard AW, Mäntysalo S: Early selective-attention effect on evoked potential reinterpreted. Acta Psychol (Amst) 1978;42:313–329.
Näätänen R, Jiang D, Lavikainen J, Reinikainen K, Paavilainen P: Event-related potentials reveal a memory trace for temporal features. Neuroreport 1993;13:310–312.
Näätänen R, Paavilainen P, Alho K, Reinikainen K, Sams M: Inter-stimulus interval and the mismatch negativity; in Barber C, Blum T (eds): Evoked Potentials III. London, Butterworths, 1987, pp 392–397.
- Näätänen R, Paavilainen P, Tiitinen H, Jiang D, Alho K: Attention and mismatch negativity. Psychophysiology 1993;30:436–450.
- Näätänen R, Winkler I: Auditory stimulus representation in neuroscience. Psychol Bull 1999;125:826–859.
- Nousak JM, Deacon D, Ritter W, Vaughan HG Jr: Storage of information in transient auditory memory. Cogn Brain Res 1996;4:305–317.
- Paavilainen P, Saarinen J, Tervaniemi M, Näätänen R: Mismatch negativity to changes in abstract sound features during dichotic listening. Psychophysiology 1998;35:483–487.
- Pekkonen E, Rinne T, Näätänen R: Variability and replicability of the mismatch negativity. Electroencephalogr Clin Neurophysiol 1995;96:546–554.
- Ponton CW, Don M, Eggermont JJ, Kwong B: Integrated mismatch negativity (MMNi): A noise-free representation of evoked responses allowing single-point distribution-free statistical tests. Electroencephalogr Clin Neurophysiol 1997;104:143–150.
Rao C: Linear Statistical Inference and Its Applications. New York, Wiley & Sons, 1973.
- Saarinen J, Paavilainen P, Schröger E, Tervaniemi M, Näätänen R: Representation of abstract attributes of auditory stimuli in the human brain. Neuroreport 1992;3:1149–1151.
- Schröger E: Processing of auditory deviants with changes in one vs. two stimulus dimensions. Psychophysiology 1995;32:55–65.
- Schröger E: On the detection of auditory deviations: A pre-attentive activation model. Psychophysiology 1997;34:245–257.
Schröger E: Measurement and interpretation of mismatch negativity. Behav Res Methods Instr Comput 1998;30:131–145.
Sinkkonen J: Information and resource allocation; in Baddeley R, Hancock P, Foldiak P (eds): Information Theory and the Brain. Cambridge, Cambridge University Press, 1999, pp 241–254.
- Sinkkonen J, Kaski S, Huotilainen M, Ilmoniemi RJ, Näätänen R, Kaila K: Optimal resource allocation for novelty detection in a human auditory memory. Neuroreport 1996;7:2479–2482.
Tervaniemi M, Alho K, Paavilainen P, Sams M, Näätänen R: Absolute pitch and event-related brain potentials. Music Percept 1993;10:305–316.
- Tervaniemi M, Lehtokoski A, Sinkkonen J, Virtanen J, Ilmoniemi RJ, Näätänen R: Test-rested reliability of mismatch negativity (MMN) for duration, frequency, and intensity changes. Clin Neurophysiol 1999;110:1388–1393.
Tervaniemi M, Maury S, Näätänen R: Neural representations of abstract stimulus features in the human brain as reflected by the mismatch negativity. Neuroreport 1994a;21:844–846.
Tervaniemi M, Saarinen J, Paavilainen P, Danilova N, Näätänen R: Temporal integration of auditory information in sensory memory as reflected by the mismatch negativity. Biol Psychol 1994b;38:157–167.
- Trejo LJ, Ryan-Jones DL, Kramer AF: Attentional modulation of the mismatch negativity elicited by frequency differences between binaurally presented tone bursts. Psychophysiology 1995;32:319–328.
- Winkler I, Karmos G, Näätänen R: Adaptive modeling of the unattended acoustic environment reflected in the mismatch negativity event-related potential. Brain Res 1996;742:239–252.
- Woldorff MG, Hackley SA, Hillyard SA: The effects of channel-selective attention on the mismatch negativity wave elicited by deviant tones. Psychophysiology 1991;28:30–42.
- Woldorff MG, Hillyard SA, Gallen CC, Hampson SR, Bloom FE: Magnetoencephalographic recordings demonstrate attentional modulation of mismatch-related neural activity in human auditory cortex. Psychophysiology 1998;35:283–292.
Article / Publication Details
Copyright / Drug Dosage / DisclaimerCopyright: All rights reserved. No part of this publication may be translated into other languages, reproduced or utilized in any form or by any means, electronic or mechanical, including photocopying, recording, microcopying, or by any information storage and retrieval system, without permission in writing from the publisher.
Drug Dosage: The authors and the publisher have exerted every effort to ensure that drug selection and dosage set forth in this text are in accord with current recommendations and practice at the time of publication. However, in view of ongoing research, changes in government regulations, and the constant flow of information relating to drug therapy and drug reactions, the reader is urged to check the package insert for each drug for any changes in indications and dosage and for added warnings and precautions. This is particularly important when the recommended agent is a new and/or infrequently employed drug.
Disclaimer: The statements, opinions and data contained in this publication are solely those of the individual authors and contributors and not of the publishers and the editor(s). The appearance of advertisements or/and product references in the publication is not a warranty, endorsement, or approval of the products or services advertised or of their effectiveness, quality or safety. The publisher and the editor(s) disclaim responsibility for any injury to persons or property resulting from any ideas, methods, instructions or products referred to in the content or advertisements.