Ecology and Population Dynamics of the Pygmy Marmoset, Cebuella pygmaeaSoini P.
Proyecto Primates, Iquitos, Peru
Do you have an account?
- Rent for 48h to view
- Buy Cloud Access for unlimited viewing via different devices
- Synchronizing in the ReadCube Cloud
- Printing and saving restrictions apply
Rental: USD 8.50
Cloud: USD 20.00
The pygmy marmoset population of a 3-km2 sample area of Amazonian lowland forest was censused and monitored intensively between September 1976 and January 1978. Floodplain forest constituted the habitat of Cebuella and supported a population density of 51.5 independently locomoting individuals (ILI) per square kilometer. The highest population concentration occurred along the edges of the river, where the density reached 274 ILI per km2. Adults comprised about one half of the total population. About 83% of the population lived in stable troops; the remaining 17% was made up by incipiently associated pairs and solitary individuals. Stable troops were made up of 1 breeding female, her mate, and her maturing offspring of up to four successive litters. Moreover, some troops contained 1–2 additional adult members. Troop size ranged from 2 to 9 ILI, with a modal size of 6 ILI. The births showed two annual peaks and the interbirth intervals ranged between 5 and 7 months. Infant survival was about 67%. Exudates (sap and gums) of trees and vines, insects and arachnids constituted the principal food resources of the population. The troops occupied exclusive home ranges of 0.2–0.4 ha. Several troops changed home range sites temporarily or permanently in the course of the study.
© 1982 S. Karger AG, Basel
Article / Publication Details
Copyright / Drug Dosage / DisclaimerCopyright: All rights reserved. No part of this publication may be translated into other languages, reproduced or utilized in any form or by any means, electronic or mechanical, including photocopying, recording, microcopying, or by any information storage and retrieval system, without permission in writing from the publisher.
Drug Dosage: The authors and the publisher have exerted every effort to ensure that drug selection and dosage set forth in this text are in accord with current recommendations and practice at the time of publication. However, in view of ongoing research, changes in government regulations, and the constant flow of information relating to drug therapy and drug reactions, the reader is urged to check the package insert for each drug for any changes in indications and dosage and for added warnings and precautions. This is particularly important when the recommended agent is a new and/or infrequently employed drug.
Disclaimer: The statements, opinions and data contained in this publication are solely those of the individual authors and contributors and not of the publishers and the editor(s). The appearance of advertisements or/and product references in the publication is not a warranty, endorsement, or approval of the products or services advertised or of their effectiveness, quality or safety. The publisher and the editor(s) disclaim responsibility for any injury to persons or property resulting from any ideas, methods, instructions or products referred to in the content or advertisements.