Hepatectomy: Preoperative Analysis of Hepatic Function and Postoperative Liver FailureZimmermann H. · Reichen J.
Department of Clinical Pharmacology, University of Bern, Switzerland
Do you have an account?
- Rent for 48h to view
- Buy Cloud Access for unlimited viewing via different devices
- Synchronizing in the ReadCube Cloud
- Printing and saving restrictions apply
Rental: USD 8.50
Cloud: USD 20.00
Most authors reporting on hepatectomy stress the importance of preoperative assessment of liver function and functional reserve to minimize the surgical risk, especially in patients with liver cirrhosis, jaundice or those undergoing prolonged chemotherapy  since it is these patients who have a markedly increased risk of developing liver failure [2–5]. According to a recent review, liver failure is the major cause of death after hepatectomy followed in importance by intraoperative and postoperative hemorrhage and sepsis accounting for 38, 29 and 21% of deaths, respectively . For this reason it is of paramount importance to estimate liver function preoperatively and to predict postoperative remaining functional liver parenchymal mass and its reserve.
- Elias D, Lasser P, Rougier P, Ducreux M, Bognel C, Roche A: Frequency, technical aspects, results, and indications of major hepatectomy after prolonged intra-arterial hepatic chemotherapy for initially unresectable hepatic tumors. J Am Coll Surg 1995;180:213–219.
- Bismuth H, Houssin D, Ornowski J, Meriggi F: Liver resections in cirrhotic patients: A western experience. World J Surg 1986;10:311–317.
- Didolkar MS, Fitzpatrick JL, Elias EG, Whitley N, Keramati B, Suter CM, et al: Risk factors before hepatectomy, hepatic function after hepatectomy and computed tomographic changes as indicators of mortality from hepatic failure. Surg Gynecol Obstet 1989;169:17–26.
- Capussotti L, Borgonovo G, Bouzari H, Smadja C, Grange D, Franco D: Results of major hepatectomy for large primary liver cancer in patients with cirrhosis. Br J Surg 1994;81:427–431.
- Nagino M, Nimura Y, Hayakawa N, Kamiya J, Kondo S, Sasaki R, et al: Logistic regression and discriminant analyses of hepatic failure after liver resection for carcinoma of the biliary tract. World J Surg 1993;17:250–255.
- Detroz B, Sugarbaker PH, Knol JA, Petrelli N, Hughes KS: Causes of death in patients undergoing liver surgery. Cancer Treat Res 1994;69:241–257.
Chou FF, Sheen Chen SM, Chen CL, Chen YS, Chen MJ: Prognostic factors after hepatectomy for hepaptocellular carcinoma. Heptaogastroenterology 1994;41:419–423.
- Foster JH: Surgical treatment of metastatic liver tumors. Hepatogastroenterology 1990;37:182–187.
- Makuuchi M, Kosuge T, Takayama T, Yamazaki S, Kakazu T, Miyagawa S, et al: Surgery for small liver cancers. Semin Surg Oncol 1993;9:298–304.
- The Liver Cancer Study Group of Japan: Predictive factors for long term prognosis after partial hepatectomy for patients with hepatocellular carcinoma in Japan. Cancer 1994;74:2772–2780.
- Fan ST, Lai EC, Lo CM, Ng IO, Wong J: Hospital mortality of major hepatectomy for hepatocellular carcinoma associated with cirrhosis. Arch Surg 1995;130:198–203.
Zimmermann H, Reichen J: Assessment of liver function in the surgical patient; in Blumgart LH (ed): Surgery of the Liver and Biliary Tract, ed 2. New York, Churchill Livingstone, 1993, pp 41–64.
- Gavelli A, Ghiglione B, Huguet C: Risk factors of hepatectomies: Results of a multivariate study. Apropos of 113 cases. Ann Chir 1993;47:586–591.
- Sizman JV, Greene PS: Perioperative predictors of morbidity following hepatic resection for neoplasm: A multivariate analysis of a single surgeon experience with 105 patients. Ann Surg 1994;219:13–17.
- Miyagawa S, Makuuchi M, Kawasaki S, Kakazu T: Changes in serum amylase level following hepatic resection in chronic liver disease. Arch Surg 1994;129:634–638.
- Ekberg H, Tranberg KG, Andersson R, Jeppsson B, Bengmark S: Major liver resection: Perioperative course and management. Surgery 1986;100:1–8.
- Ohkubo H, Okuda K, Iida S, Ohnishi K, Ikawa S, Makino I: Role of portal and splenic vein shunts and impaired hepatic extraction in the elevated serum bile acids in liver cirrhosis. Gastroenterology 1984;86:514–520.
- Mannes GA, Stellaard F, Paumgartner G: Increased serum bile acids in cirrhosis with normal transaminases. Digestion 1982;25:217–221.
- Mannes GA, Thieme C, Stellaard F, Wang T, Sauerbruch T, Paumgartner G: Prognostic significance of serum bile acids in cirrhosis. Hepatology 1986;6:50–53.
Baron DN: A critical look at the value of biochemical liver function tests with special reference to discriminant function analysis. Ann Clin Biochem 1970;7:100–112.
- Winkel P, Ramsoe K, Lyngbye J, Tygstrup N: Diagnostic value of routine liver tests. Clin Chem 1975;21:71–75.
- Solberg HE, Skrede S, Blomhoff JP: Diagnosis of liver disease by laboratory results and discriminant analysis: Identification of best combination of laboratory tests. Scand J Clin Lab Invest 1975;35:713–721.
- Kaplan MM, Righetti A: Induction of rat liver alkaline phosphatase: the mechanism of the serum elevation in bile duct obstruction. J Clin Invest 1970;49:508–516.
- Seetharam S, Sussman NL, Komoda T, et al: The mechanism of elevated alkaline activity after bile duct ligation in the rat. Hepatology 1986;6:374.
- Brensilver HL, Kaplan MM: Significance of elevated liver alkaline phosphatase in serum. Gastroenterology 1975;68:1556–1562.
- Hadjis NS, Blenkharn JI, Hatzis G, Adam A, Beacham J, Blumgart LH: Patterns of serum alkaline phosphatase activity in unilateral hepatic duct obstruction: A clinical and experimental study. Surgery 1990;107:193–200.
- Klompje J, Petrelli NJ, Herrera L, Mittelman A: The prognostic value of preoperative alkaline phosphatase for resection of solitary liver metastasis from colorectal carcinoma. Eur J Surg Oncol 1987;13:345–347.
Osanaga E, Larre Borges A, Sanguinetti J, Mancusso G, Lopez A, Larreborges U: Comparative study between alkaline phosphatase and gamma-glutamyltranspeptidase in the diagnosis of hepatic metastases. J Chir 1992;1985:17–20.
- Karmen C, Mayne PD, Foo AY, Parbhoo S, Rosalki SB: Measurement of biliary alkaline phosphatase by mini-column chromatography and by electrophoresis and its application to the detection of liver metastases in patients with breast cancer. J Clin Pathol 1984;37:212–217.
- Margolis R, Hansen HH, Muggia FM, Kanhouwa S: Diagnosis of liver metastases in bronchogenic carcinoma: A comparative study of liver scans, function tests, and peritoneoscopy with liver biopsy in 111 patients. Cancer 1974;34:1825–1829.
- Jonsson PE, Bengtsson G, Carlsson G, Jonson G, Tryding N: Value of serum-5-nucleotidase, alkaline phosphatase and gamma-glutamyl transferase for prediction of liver metastases preoperatively in colorectal cancer. Acta Chir Scand 1984;150:419–423.
- Nishio H, Sakuma T, Nakamura S, Horai T, Ikegami H, Matsuda M: Diagnostic value of high molecular weight alkaline phosphatase in detection of hepatic metastasis in patients with lung cancer. Cancer 1986;57:1815–1819.
- Christensen M, Jacobsen PM: Efficiency of composite tests in gastrointestinal cancer: Preoperative prediction of liver metastases by scintigraphy, alkaline phosphatase, and carcinoembryonic antigen. Scand J Gastroenterol 1987;22:273–278.
- Lin HH, Lin DY: Is preoperative ultrasound cancer survey necessary in patients with normal liver function tests. J Clin Gastroenterol 1991;13:108–110.
- Rocklin MS, Senagore AJ, Talbott TM: Role of carcinoembryonic antigen and liver function tests in the detection of recurrent colorectal carcinoma. Dis Colon Rectum 1991;34:794–797.
- Ottmar MD, Gonda RL Jr, Leithauser KJ, Gutierrez OH: Liver function tests in patients with computed tomography demonstrated hepatic metastases. Gastrointest Radiol 1989;14:55–58.
- Rocklin MS, Slomski CA, Watne AL: Postoperative surveillance of patients with carcinoma of the colon and rectum. Am Surg 1990;56:22–27.
- Schneider JF, Baker AL, Haines NW, Hatfield G, Boyer JL: Aminopyrine N-demethylation: A prognostic test of liver function in patients with alcoholic liver disease. Gastroenterology 1980;79:1145–1150.
- Sahdew P, Meadow E, Garramone RR; Schwartz RJ, Steelman SR, Jacobs LM: Evaluation of liver function tests in screening for intra-abdominal injuries. Ann Emerg Med 1991;20:838–841.
- Nagasue N, Yukaya H, Suehiro S, Ogawa Y: Tolerance of the cirrhotic liver to normothermic ischemia: A clinical study of 15 patients. Am J Surg 1984;147:772–775.
- Lee YT: Liver function tests after ligation of hepatic artery. J Surg Oncol 1978;10:305–320.
- Suehiro T, Sugimachi K, Matsumata T, Itasaka H, Taketomi A, Maeda T: Protein induced by vitamin K absence or antagonist II as a prognostic marker in hepatocellular carcinoma. Comparison with alpha-fetoprotein. Cancer 1994;73:2464–2471.
- Matsumata T, Higashi H, Shimada M, Adachi E, Shirabe K, Sugimachi K: Indications for major hepatectomy in cirrhotic liver. Hepatogastroenterology 1994;41:165–169.
Ratnoff OD: Disordered hemostasis in hepatic disease; in Schiff L, (ed): Diseases of the Liver. Philadelphia, Lippincott, 1975, pp 183–203.
- Bontempo FA, Lewis JH, Van Thiel DH, et al: The relation of preoperative coagulation findings to diagnosis, blood usage, and survival in adult liver transplantation. Transplantation 1985;39:532–536.
- Ritter DM, Rettke SR, Lunn RJ, Bowie EJ, Ilstrup D: Preoperative coagulation screen does not predict intraoperative blood product requirements in orthotopic liver transplantation. Transplant Proc 1989;21:3533–3534.
Bengmark S, Zoukas E: Problems in haemostasis during liver surgery; in Bengmark S, Blumgart LH (ed): Liver Surgery. London, Churchill Livingstone, 1986, pp 156–165.
- Tsuzuki T, Toyama K, Nakayasu K, Iida S, Ueda M, Toizumi A: Disseminated intravascular coagulation after hepatic resection. Surgery 1990;107:172–176.
- Rondana M, Milani L, Merkel C, Caregaro L, Gatta A: Value of prealbumin plasma levels as liver test. Digestion 1987;37:72–78.
Andersson LO: Transport proteins. I. Serum albumin; in Blomback B, Hanson LA (eds): Plasma Proteins. Chichester, Wiley, 1976, pp 43–72.
- Halliday AW, Benjamin IS, Blumgart LH: Nutritional risk factors in major hepatobiliary surgery. J Parenter Enteral Nutr 1988;12:43–48.
- Reichen J: Assessment of hepatic function with xenobiotics. Semin Liver Dis 1995;15:189–201.
- Oberhaensli R, Galloway G, Taylor D, Bore P, Radda G: Assessment of human liver metabolism by phosphorus-31 magnetic resonance spectroscopy. Br J Radiol 1986;59:695–699.
- Angus PW, Dixon RM, Rajagopalan B, Ryley NG, Simpson KJ, Peters TJ, et al: A study of patients with alcoholic liver disease by 31P nuclear magnetic resonance spectroscopy. Clin Sci 1990;78:33–38.
- Dufour J, Stoupis C, Lazeyras F, Vock P, Terrier F, Reichen J: Alterations in hepatic fructose metabolism in cirrhotic patients demonstrated by dynamic 31-phosphorus spectroscopy. Hepatology 1992;15:835–842.
- Reichen J, Widmer T, Cotting J: Accurate prediction of death by serial determination of the galactose elimination capacity in primary biliary cirrhosis: A comparison with the Mayo model. Hepatology 1991;14:504–510.
- Zoli M, Marchesini G, Melli A, Viti G, Marra A, Marrano D, et al: Evaluation of liver volume and liver function following hepatic resection in man. Liver 1986;6:286–291.
- Asano M, Ozawa K, Tobe T: Postoperative prognosis as related to blood ketone body ratios in hepatectomized patients. Eur Surg Res 1983;15:302–311.
- Ueda J, Mori K, Sakai Y, Tanaka A, Katayama T, Maki A, et al: Noninvasive evaluation of cytochrome c oxidase activity of the liver: Its prognostic value for hepatic resection. Arch Surg 1994;129:303–308.
- Mori K, Ozawa K, Yamamoto Y, Maki A, Shimahara Y, Kobayashi N, et al: Response of hepatic mitochondrial redox state to oral glucose load: Redox tolerance test as a new predictor of surgical risk in hepatectomy. Ann Surg 1990;211:438–446.
- Merkel C, Bolognesi M, Bellon S, Honisch B, Lampe H, Angeli P, et al: Aminopyrine breath test in the prognostic evaluation of patients with cirrhosis. Gut 1992;33:836–842.
- Villeneuve JP, Infante Rivard C, Ampelas M, Pomier-Layrargues G, Huet PM, Marleau D: Prognostic value of the aminopyrine breath test in cirrhotic patients. Hepatology 1986;6:928–931.
- Gill RA, Goodman MW, Golfus GR, Onstad GR, Bubrick MP: Aminopyrine breath test predicts surgical risk for patients with liver disease. Ann Surg 1983;198:701–704.
- Horsmans Y, Lejeune D, Geubel AP, Otte JB, Pauwels S: Hepatic [C-14]aminopyrine demethylation capacity after portocaval shunting: Comparative study in patients with and without arterialization of portal vein. Dig Dis Sci 1993;38:2177–2182.
- McPherson GAD, Benjamin IS, Boobis AR, Brodie MJ, Hampden C, Blumgart LH: Antipyrine elimination as a dynamic test of hepatic functional integrity in obstructive jaundice. Gut 1982;23:734–738.
- Lee CS, Chao CC, Lin TY: Partial hepatectomy on cirrhotic liver with a right lateral tumor. Surgery 1985;98:942–948.
- Moody FG, Rikkers LF, Aldrette JS: Estimation of the functional reserve of human liver. Ann Surg 1974;180:592–599.
- Noguchi T, Imai T, Mizumoto R: Preoperative estimation of surgical risk of hepatectomy in cirrhotic patients. Hepatogastroenterology 1990;37:165–171.
Speich R, Saesseli B, Hoffmann U, Neftel K, Reichen J: Anaphylactoid reactions after indocyanine-green administration. Ann Intern Med 1988;109:345–346.
- Hemming AW, Scudamore CH, Shackleton CR, Pudek M, Erb SR: Indocyanine green clearance as a predictor of successful hepatic resection in cirrhotic patients. Am J Surg 1992;163:515–518.
- Matsumata T, Kanematsu T, Yoshida Y, Furuta T, Yanaga K, Sugimachi K: The indocyanine green test enables prediction of postoperative complications after hepatic resection. World J Surg 1987;11:678–681.
Hasegawa H, Yamazaki S, Makuuchi M, Elias D: Hepatectomy for hepatocarcinoma on a cirrhotic liver: decision plans and principles of perioperative resuscitation: Experience with 204 cases. J Chir 1987;124:425–431.
- Yamanaka N, Okamoto E, Kuwata K, Tanaka N: A multiple regression equation for prediction of posthepatectomy liver failure. Ann Surg 1984;200:658–663.
Oellerich M, Ringe B, Gubernatis G, Pichlmayr R, Burdelski M, Lamesch P, Bunzendahl H, Herrmann H: Lignocaine metabolite formation as a measure of pre-transplant liver function. Lancet 1989;i:640–642.
- Oellerich M, Burdelski M, Lautz HU, Binder L, Pichlmayr R: Predictors of one-year pretransplant survival in patients with cirrhosis. Hepatology 1991;14:1029–1034.
- Reichen J: MEGX test in hepatology: The long-sought, ultimate quantitative liver function test? J Hepatol 1993;19:4–7.
Child CG, Turcotte JG: Surgery and portal hypertension; in Child CG (ed): The Liver and Portal Hpyertension. Philadelphia, Saunders, 1964, pp 50–62.
- Pugh RNH, Murray-Lyon IM, Dawson JL, Pietroni MC, Williams R: Transsection of the oesophagus for bleeding oesophageal varices. Br J Surg 1973;60:646–649.
- Conn HO: A peek at the Child-Turcotte classification. Hepatology 1981;1:673–676.
- Suc B, Panis Y, Belghiti J, Fekete F: ‘Natural history’ of hepatectomy. Br J Surg 1992;79:39–42.
- Franco D, Capussotti L, Smadja C, Bouzari H, Meakins J, Kemeny F, et al: Resection of hepatocellular carcinomas: Results in 72 European patients with cirrhosis. Gastroenterology 1990;98:733–738.
- Vauthey JN, Klimstra D, Franceschi D, Tao Y, Fortner J, Blumgart L, et al: Factors affecting long-term outcome after hepatic resection for hepatocellular carcinoma. Am J Surg 1995;169:28–34.
- Yanaga K, Kanematsu T, Takenaka K, Matsumata T, Yoshida Y, Sugimachi K: Hepatic resection for hepatocellular carcinoma in elderly patients. Am J Surg 1988;155:238–241.
- Okuda K, Ohtsuki T, Obata H, et al: Natural history of hepatocellular carcinoma and prognosis in relation to treatment: Study of 850 patients. Cancer 1985;56:918–928.
- Calvet X, Bruix J, Gines P, Bru C, Sole M, Vilana R, et al: Prognostic factors of hepatocellular carcinoma in the West: A multivariate analysis in 206 patients. Hepatology 1990;12:753–760.
- Yamanaka N, Okamoto E, Oriyama T, Fujimoto J, Furukawa K, Kawamura E, et al: A prediction scoring system to select the surgical treatment of liver cancer: Further refinement based on 10 years of use. Ann Surg 1994;219:342–346.
- Shimada M, Matsumata T, Akazawa K, Kamakura T, Itasaka H, Sugimachi K, et al: Estimation of risk of major complications after hepatic resection. Am J Surg 1994;167:399–403.
- Bismuth H, Houssin D, Mazmanian G: Postoperative liver insufficiency: Prevention and management. World J Surg 1983;7:505–510.
- Okamoto E, Kyo A, Yamanaka N, Tanaka N, Kuwata K: Prediction of the safe limits of hepatectomy by combined volumetric and functional measurements in patients with impaired hepatic function. Surgery 1984;95:586–592.
- Takenaka K, Kanematsu T, Fukuzawa K, Sugimachi K: Can hepatic failure after surgery for hepatocellular carcinoma in cirrhotic patients be prevented? World J Surg 1990;14:123–127.
- Sugarbaker PH: Surgical decision making for large bowel cancer metastatic to the liver. Radiology 1990;174:621–626.
- Soyer P, Roche A, Elias D, Levesque M: Hepatic metastases from colorectal cancer: Influence of hepatic volumetric analysis on surgical decision making. Radiology 1992;184:695–697.
- Lin TY, Chen CC: Metabolic function and regeneration of cirrhotic and non-cirrhotic livers after hepatic lobectomy in man. Ann Surg 1965;162:959–972.
- Lin TY, Lee CS, Chen CC, Liau KY, Lin WS: Regeneration of human liver after hepatic lobectomy studied by repeated liver scanning and repeated needle biopsy. Ann Surg 1979;190:48–53.
- Nagasue N, Yukaya H, Ogawa Y, Kohno H, Nakamura T: Human liver regeneration after major hepatic resection: A study of normal liver and livers with chronic hepatitis and cirrhosis. Ann Surg 1987;206:30–39.
- MacIntosh EL, Minuk GY: Hepatic resection in patients with cirrhosis and hepatocellular carcinoma. Surg Gynecol Obstet 1992;174:245–254.
- Yamanaka N, Okamoto E, Kawamura E, Kato T, Oriyama T, Fujimoto J, et al: Dynamics of normal and injured human liver regeneration after hepatectomy as assessed on the basis of computed tomography and liver function. Hepatology 1993;18:79–85.
Zucker MB, Siegel M, Cliffton EE, Belleville JW, Howland WS, Grossi CE: The effect of hepatic lobectomy on some blood clotting factors and on fibrinolysis. Ann Surg 1957;146:772–781.
- Almersjo O, Bengmark S, Hafstrom LO, Olsson R: Enzyme and function changes after extensive liver resection in man. Ann Surg 1969;169:111–119.
- Pinkerton JA, Sawyers JL, Foster JH: A study of the postoperative course after hepatic lobectomy. Ann Surg 1971;173:800–811.
- Bolder U, Tacke J, Imhoff M, Lohlein D: Postoperative course of functional and cellular variables in liver resection. Scand J Gastroenterol 1993;28:949–957.
- Elias D, Desruennes E, Lasser P: Prolonged intermittent clamping of the portal triad during hepatectomy. Br J Surg 1991;78:42–44.
- Delva E, Camus Y, Nordlinger B, Hannoun L, Parc R, Deriaz H, et al: Vascular occlusions for liver resections: Operative management and tolerance to hepatic ischemia: 142 cases. Ann Surg 1989;209:211–218.
Article / Publication Details
Copyright / Drug Dosage / DisclaimerCopyright: All rights reserved. No part of this publication may be translated into other languages, reproduced or utilized in any form or by any means, electronic or mechanical, including photocopying, recording, microcopying, or by any information storage and retrieval system, without permission in writing from the publisher.
Drug Dosage: The authors and the publisher have exerted every effort to ensure that drug selection and dosage set forth in this text are in accord with current recommendations and practice at the time of publication. However, in view of ongoing research, changes in government regulations, and the constant flow of information relating to drug therapy and drug reactions, the reader is urged to check the package insert for each drug for any changes in indications and dosage and for added warnings and precautions. This is particularly important when the recommended agent is a new and/or infrequently employed drug.
Disclaimer: The statements, opinions and data contained in this publication are solely those of the individual authors and contributors and not of the publishers and the editor(s). The appearance of advertisements or/and product references in the publication is not a warranty, endorsement, or approval of the products or services advertised or of their effectiveness, quality or safety. The publisher and the editor(s) disclaim responsibility for any injury to persons or property resulting from any ideas, methods, instructions or products referred to in the content or advertisements.