Lymphoepithelial Cyst in the Pancreas
Anagnostopoulos P.V. · Pipinos I.I. · Rose W.W. · Elkus R.
A Case Report and Review of the Literature
Department of Surgery, Henry Ford Health Sciences Center, Detroit, Mich., USA
Do you have an account?
- Rent for 48h to view
- Buy Cloud Access for unlimited viewing via different devices
- Synchronizing in the ReadCube Cloud
- Printing and saving restrictions apply
Rental: USD 8.50
Cloud: USD 20.00
Background: Lymphoepithelial cysts of the pancreas constitute a rare clinicopathologic entity. Case Report: We report a case of lymphoepithelial cyst of the pancreas and review the world literature. Results: Lymphoepithelial cysts are true pancreatic cysts lined by squamous epithelium and surrounded by mature lymphoid tissue. The cyst arises typically in middle aged men, and is usually asymptomatic or causes nonspecific abdominal complaints. There is no specific serologic marker for this entity. None of its radiologic characteristics can help differentiate it from other cystic lesions of the pancreas. Fine-needle aspiration cytology may be able to suggest its benign nature and identify it as a true cyst of the pancreas. The outcome after surgical excision is uniformly good with good symptom control and no recurrences. Recommendations: In the symptomatic patient or the asymptomatic patient with acceptable surgical risk a simple cyst excision should be performed after verification of the diagnosis with frozen section. In the asymptomatic patient with a high surgical risk, in whom fine-needle aspiration suggests the diagnosis of a lymphoepithelial cyst, observation of the lesion is recommended. When simple cyst excision is technically not possible, extensive resections/reconstructions should be avoided and drainage/bypass procedures may be considered.
© 2000 S. Karger AG, Basel
- Howard MJ: Cystic neoplasms and true cysts of the pancreas. Surg Clin North Am 1989;69:651–665.
- Yeo CJ, Sarr MG: Cystic and pseudocystic diseases of the pancreas. Curr Probl Surg 1994;31:165–243.
- Mathieu D, Guigui B, Valette PJ, Dao T, Bruneton JN, Bruel JM, Pringot J, Norbert V: Pancreatic cystic neoplasms. Radiol Clin North Am 1989;27:163–176.
- Iacono G, Cracco N, Zamboni G, Bernardello F, Zicari M, Marino F, Montresor E, Serio G: Lymphoepithelial cyst of the pancreas. Int J Pancreatol 1996;19:71–76.
- Schinke-Nickl DA, Müller MF: Lymphoepithelial cyst of the pancreas. Case report. Br J Radiol 1996;69:876–878.
- Koga H, Takayasu K, Mukai K, Muramatsu Y, Mizuguchi Y, Furukawa H, Wakao F, Ushio K, Kosuge T, Shimada K: CT of lymphoepithelial cysts of the pancreas. J Comput Assist Tomogr 1995;19:221–224.
Rino Y, Morohoshi T, Funo KI, Imada T, Yamamoto Y, Jojima T, Abe M, Take H, Matsumoto A: Lymphoepithelial cyst of the pancreas: A preoperatively diagnosed case based on an aspiration biopsy. Jpn J Surg 1995;25:1043–1046.
- Fitko R, Kampmeier PA, Batti FH, Benjoya RA, Rao SM: Lymphoepithelial cyst of the pancreas with sebaceous differentiation. Int J Pancreatol 1994;15:145–147.
- Ueno S, Muranaka T, Maekawa S, Masuda Y, Ro T, Saku M, Oshiumi Y: Radiographic features in lymphoepithelial cyst of the pancreas. Abdom Imaging 1994;19:232–234.
- Goodman P, Kumar D, Balachandran S: Lymphoepithelial cyst of the pancreas. Abdom Imaging 1994;19:157–159.
- De Lorenzi D, Candinas D, Flury R, Meyenberger C, Largiader F: Lymphoepitheliale Zyste des Pankreas. Helv Chir Acta 1993;60:131–135.
Hausegger KW, Leitner G, Wagner C, Stangl F: Lymphoepitheliale Zyste am Pankreasschwanz: Ein Fallbericht. Röfo Fortschr Geb Röntgenstr neure Bildgeb Verfahr 1993;159:200–202.
- Cappellari JO: Fine needle aspiration cytology of a pancreatic lymphoepithelial cyst. Diagn Cytopathol 1993;9:77–81.
- DiCorato MP, Schned AR: A rare lymphoepithelial cyst of the pancreas. Am J Clin Pathol 1992;98:188–191.
Bastens B, Golaire M, Capelli J, Lamy V, Dryjski J, Moisse R: Cyste lymphoépithélial du pancréas. Gastroentérol Clin Biol 1992;16:808–810.
- Ramsden KL, Newman J: Lymphoepithelial cyst of the pancreas. Histopathology 1991;18:267–268.
- Hisaoka M, Haratake J, Horie A, Yasunami Y, Kimura T: Lymphoepithelial cyst of the pancreas in a 65-year-old man. Hum Pathol 1991;22:924–926.
- Vermeulen BJM, Windgren S, Gur V, Meyer P, Iselin C, Rohner A: Dermoid cyst of the pancreas. Gastroenterol Clin Biol 1990;14:1023–1025.
- Mitchel ML: Fine needle aspiration biopsy of peripancreatic lymphoepithelial cysts. Acta Cytol 1990;34:462–463.
- Yamamoto K, Fujimoto K, Matsushiro T, Ota K: Lymphoepithelial cyst in the pancreas: A case report. Gastroenterol Jpn 1990;25:758–761.
Mockli GC, Stein RM: Cystic lymphoepithelial lesion of the pancreas. Arch Pathol Lab Med 1990;114:885–887.
- Truong LD, Rangdaeng S, Jordan PH: Lymphoepithelial cyst of the pancreas. Am J Surg Pathol 1987;11:899–903.
- Lüchtrath H, Schriefers KH: Pankreaszyste unter dem Bild einer sogenannten branchiogenen Zyste. Pathologe 1985;6:217–219.
- Carr RF, Tang CK, Carrozza MJ, Rodriguez FC: Unusual cystic epithelial choristoma in a celiac lymph node. Hum Pathol 1987;18:866–869.
Article / Publication Details
Copyright / Drug Dosage / DisclaimerCopyright: All rights reserved. No part of this publication may be translated into other languages, reproduced or utilized in any form or by any means, electronic or mechanical, including photocopying, recording, microcopying, or by any information storage and retrieval system, without permission in writing from the publisher.
Drug Dosage: The authors and the publisher have exerted every effort to ensure that drug selection and dosage set forth in this text are in accord with current recommendations and practice at the time of publication. However, in view of ongoing research, changes in government regulations, and the constant flow of information relating to drug therapy and drug reactions, the reader is urged to check the package insert for each drug for any changes in indications and dosage and for added warnings and precautions. This is particularly important when the recommended agent is a new and/or infrequently employed drug.
Disclaimer: The statements, opinions and data contained in this publication are solely those of the individual authors and contributors and not of the publishers and the editor(s). The appearance of advertisements or/and product references in the publication is not a warranty, endorsement, or approval of the products or services advertised or of their effectiveness, quality or safety. The publisher and the editor(s) disclaim responsibility for any injury to persons or property resulting from any ideas, methods, instructions or products referred to in the content or advertisements.