Microdissection and Chromosome Painting of X and B Chromosomes in the Grasshopper Eyprepocnemis ploransTeruel M.a · Cabrero J.a · Perfectti F.a · Acosta M.J.b · Sánchez A.b · Camacho J.P.M.a
aDepartamento de Genética, Universidad de Granada, Granada, bDepartamento de Biología Experimental, Universidad de Jaén, Jaén, Spain
Do you have an account?
- Rent for 48h to view
- Buy Cloud Access for unlimited viewing via different devices
- Synchronizing in the ReadCube Cloud
- Printing and saving restrictions apply
Rental: USD 8.50
Cloud: USD 20.00
The relative location of 2 repetitive DNAs, i.e. ribosomal (rDNA) and a tandemly repeated satellite DNA (satDNA), with respect to the centromere, suggested that B chromosomes in the grasshopper Eyprepocnemis plorans derived intraspecifically from the X chromosome. To test this hypothesis, we microdissected X and B chromosomes and amplified the obtained DNA by 2 different procedures, the conventional DOP-PCR method and the single-cell whole-genome amplification GenomePlex® method. We then generated DNA probes to perform chromosome painting. Our results have confirmed that X and B chromosomes share many DNA sequences between them and with most of the autosomes, especially at locations where the satDNA and rDNA reside, in consistency with previous information. This supports the hypothesis of an intraspecific origin of B chromosomes in E. plorans. Nevertheless, the present results did not help to clarify whether Bs were derived from the X chromosome or else from 1 or more autosomes.
© 2009 S. Karger AG, Basel
- Bakkali M, Camacho JPM: The B chromosome polymorphism of the grasshopper Eyprepocnemis plorans in North Africa: III. Mutation rate of B chromosomes. Heredity 92:428–433 (2004).
- Bakkali M, Cabrero J, López-León MD, Perfectti F, Camacho JPM: The B chromosome polymorphism of the grasshopper Eyprepocnemis plorans in North Africa. I. B variants and frequency. Heredity 83:428–434 (1999).
- Cabrero J, López-León MD, Gómez R, Castro AJ, Martín-Alganza A, Camacho JPM: Geographical distribution of B chromosomes in the grasshopper Eyprepocnemis plorans, along a river basin, is mainly shaped by non-selective historical events. Chromosome Res 5:194–198 (1997).
- Cabrero J, López-León MD, Bakkali M, Camacho JPM: Common origin of B chromosome variants in the grasshopper Eyprepocnemis plorans. Heredity 83:435–439 (1999).
- Cabrero J, Perfectti F, Gómez R, Camacho JPM, López-León MD: Population variation in the A chromosome distribution of satellite DNA and ribosomal DNA in the grasshopper Eyprepocnemis plorans. Chromosome Res 11:375–381 (2003a).
- Cabrero J, Bugrov A, Warchałowska-Sliwa E, López-León MD, Perfectti F, Camacho JPM: Comparative FISH analysis in five species of Eyprepocnemidine grasshoppers. Heredity 90:377–381 (2003b).
- Cabrero J, Manrique-Poyato MI, Camacho JPM: Detection of B chromosomes in interphase hemolymph nuclei from living specimens of the grasshopper Eyprepocnemis plorans. Cytogenet Genome Res 114:66–69 (2006).
Camacho JPM: B chromosomes, in Gregory TR (ed): The Evolution of the Genome, pp 223–286 (Elsevier, San Diego 2005).
- Camacho JPM, Carballo AR, Cabrero J: The B-chromosome system of the grasshopper Eyprepocnemis plorans subsp. plorans (Charpentier). Chromosoma 80:163–166 (1980).
- Camacho JPM, Cabrero J, Viseras E, López-León MD, Navas-Castillo J, Alché JD: G banding in two species of grasshopper and its relationship to C, N, and fluorescence banding techniques. Genome 34:638–643 (1991).
- Gribble S, Ng BL, Prigmore E, Burford DC, Carter NP: Chromosome paints from single copies of chromosomes. Chromosome Res 12:143–151 (2004).
- Guan XY, Meltzer PS, Trent JM: Rapid generation of whole chromosome painting probes by chromosome microdisection. Genomics 22:101–107 (1994).
- Henriques-Gil N, Arana P: Origin and substitution of B chromosomes in the grasshopper Eyprepocnemis plorans. Evolution 44:747–753 (1990).
- Henriques-Gil N, Santos JL, Arana P: Evolution of a complex polymorphism in the grasshopper Eyprepocnemis plorans. Chromosoma 89:290–293 (1984).
- Houben A, Field BL, Saunders VA: Microdissection and chromosome painting of plant B chromosomes. Meth Cell Sci 23:115–124 (2001).
- Langmore JP: Rubicon Genomics, Inc. Pharmacogenomics 3:557–560 (2002).
- López-León MD, Pardo MC, Cabrero J, Viseras E, Camacho JPM, Santos JL: Generating high variability of B chromosomes in the grasshopper Eyprepocnemis plorans. Heredity 71:352–362 (1993).
- López-León MD, Neves N, Schwarzacher T, Heslop-Harrison JS, Hewitt GM, Camacho JPM: Possible origin of a B chromosome deduced from its DNA composition using double FISH technique. Chromosome Res 2:87–92 (1994).
- López-León MD, Vázquez P, Hewitt GM, Camacho JPM: Cloning and sequence analysis of an extremely homogeneous tandemly repeated DNA in the grasshopper Eyprepocnemis plorans. Heredity 75:370-375 (1995).
- López-León MD, Cabrero J, Dzyubenko VV, Bugrov AG, Karamysheva TV, et al: Differences in ribosomal DNA distribution on A and B chromosomes between eastern and western populations of the grasshopper Eyprepocnemis plorans plorans. Cytogenet Genome Res 121:260–265 (2008).
- Marchal JA, Acosta MJ, Nietzel H, Sperling K, Bullejos M, et al: X chromosome painting in Microtus: origin and evolution of the giant sex chromosomes. Chromosome Res 12:767–776 (2004).
- McQuade L, Hill R, Francis D: B chromosome systems in the greater glider, Petauroides volans (Marsupialia, Pseudocheiridae). 2. Investigation of B chromosome DNA sequences isolated by micromanipulation and PCR. Cytogenet Cell Genet 66:155–161 (1994).
- Riera L, Petitpierre E, Juan C, Cabrero J, Camacho JPM: Evolutionary dynamics of a B chromosome invasion in island populations of the grasshopper Eyprepocnemis plorans. J Evol Biol 17:716–719 (2004).
- Telenius H, Carter NP, Bebb CE, Nordenskjold M, Ponder BA, Tunnacliffe A: Degenerate oligonucleotide-primed PCR: general amplification of target DNA by a single degenerate primer. Genomics 13:718–725 (1992).
- Teruel M, Cabrero J, Montiel EE, Acosta MJ, Sánchez A, Camacho JPM: Microdissection and chromosome painting of X and B chromosomes in Locusta migratoria. Chromosome Res 17:11–18 (2009).
- Zurita S, Cabrero J, López-León MD, Camacho JPM: Polymorphism regeneration for a neutralized selfish B chromosome. Evolution 52:274–277 (1998).
Article / Publication Details
Copyright / Drug Dosage / DisclaimerCopyright: All rights reserved. No part of this publication may be translated into other languages, reproduced or utilized in any form or by any means, electronic or mechanical, including photocopying, recording, microcopying, or by any information storage and retrieval system, without permission in writing from the publisher.
Drug Dosage: The authors and the publisher have exerted every effort to ensure that drug selection and dosage set forth in this text are in accord with current recommendations and practice at the time of publication. However, in view of ongoing research, changes in government regulations, and the constant flow of information relating to drug therapy and drug reactions, the reader is urged to check the package insert for each drug for any changes in indications and dosage and for added warnings and precautions. This is particularly important when the recommended agent is a new and/or infrequently employed drug.
Disclaimer: The statements, opinions and data contained in this publication are solely those of the individual authors and contributors and not of the publishers and the editor(s). The appearance of advertisements or/and product references in the publication is not a warranty, endorsement, or approval of the products or services advertised or of their effectiveness, quality or safety. The publisher and the editor(s) disclaim responsibility for any injury to persons or property resulting from any ideas, methods, instructions or products referred to in the content or advertisements.