Exclusive Olive Oil Consumption Is Associated with Lower Likelihood of Developing Left Ventricular Systolic Dysfunction in Acute Coronary Syndrome Patients: The Hellenic Heart Failure StudyChrysohoou C.a · Kastorini C.-M.b · Panagiotakos D.b · Aggelopoulos P.a · Tsiachris D.a · Pitsavos C.a · Stefanadis C.a
aFirst Cardiology Clinic, University of Athens School of Medicine, and bDepartment of Nutrition Science-Dietetics, Harokopio University, Athens, Greece
Do you have an account?
- Rent for 48h to view
- Buy Cloud Access for unlimited viewing via different devices
- Synchronizing in the ReadCube Cloud
- Printing and saving restrictions apply
Rental: USD 8.50
Cloud: USD 20.00
Article / Publication Details
Background/Aims: The aim of the present work was to evaluate the association between exclusive olive oil consumption and the development of left ventricular systolic dysfunction (LVSD) in patients with a previous acute coronary syndrome (ACS). Methods: From 2006 to 2007, 651 consecutive ACS patients were enrolled. In 288 males (64 ± 13 years) and 75 females (71 ± 11 years), LVSD (ejection fraction <40%) developed after the cardiac event, and 221 males (62 ± 11 years) and 69 females (66 ± 11 years) were without LVSD (ejection fraction >50%). Detailed information regarding their clinical characteristics, anthropometric data, physical activity, smoking and dietary habits (including lipids use) were recorded. Results: 70% of the LVSD patients and 76% of the non-LVSD patients reported exclusive olive oil consumption. Multi-adjusted analysis revealed that exclusive olive oil consumption in post-ACS patients with a first cardiac episode was associated with a 65% (95% confidence interval 0.14–0.87) lower likelihood of developing LVSD after adjusting for various confounders. No significant association was observed among participants with a previous history of ACS. Conclusions: Exclusive, long-term olive oil consumption seems to offer significant protection against the development of LVSD in post-ACS patients.
© 2009 S. Karger AG, Basel
- Wilson PW, D‘Agostino RB, Levy D, Belanger AM, Silbershatz H, Kannel WB: Prediction of coronary heart disease using risk factor categories. Circulation 1998;97:1837–1847.
- Fox KA, Dabbous OH, Goldberg RJ, Pieper KS, Eagle KA, Van de Werf F, Avezum A, Goodman SG, Flather MD, Anderson FA Jr, Granger CB: Prediction of risk of death and myocardial infarction in the six months after presentation with acute coronary syndrome: prospective multinational observational study (GRACE). BMJ 2006;333:1091.
Wood D: Established and emerging cardiovascular risk factors. Am Heart J 2001;141(2 suppl):S49–S57.
- Thomas KL, Velazquez EJ: Therapies to prevent heart failure post-myocardial infarction. Curr Heart Fail Rep 2005;2:174–182.
- Trichopoulou A, Dilis V: Olive oil and longevity. Mol Nutr Food Res 2007;51:1275–1278.
- Waterman E, Lockwood B: Active components and clinical applications of olive oil. Altern Med Rev 2007;12:331–342.
- Wahle KW, Caruso D, Ochoa JJ, Quiles JL: Olive oil and modulation of cell signaling in disease prevention. Lipids 2004;39:1223–1231.
- Bogani P, Galli C, Villa M, Visioli F: Postprandial anti-inflammatory and antioxidant effects of extra virgin olive oil. Atherosclerosis 2007;190:181–186.
- Visioli F, Poli A, Gall C: Antioxidant and other biological activities of phenols from olives and olive oil. Med Res Rev 2002;22:65–75.
- Keys A, Menotti A, Karvonen MJ, Aravanis C, Blackburn H, Buzina R, Djordjevic BS, Dontas AS, Fidanza F, Keys MH, et al: The diet and 15-year death rate in the seven countries study. Am J Epidemiol 1986;124:903–915.
- Kontogianni MD, Panagiotakos DB, Chrysohoou C, Pitsavos C, Zampelas A, Stefanadis C: The impact of olive oil consumption pattern on the risk of acute coronary syndromes: The CARDIO2000 case-control study. Clin Cardiol 2007;30:125–129.
- Fernandez-Jarne E, Martínez-Losa E, Prado-Santamaría M, Brugarolas-Brufau C, Serrano-Martínez M, Martínez-González MA: Risk of first non-fatal myocardial infarction negatively associated with olive oil consumption: a case-control study in Spain. Int J Epidemiol 2002;31:474–480.
- Covas MI, Nyyssönen K, Poulsen HE, Kaikkonen J, Zunft HJ, Kiesewetter H, Gaddi A, de la Torre R, Mursu J, Bäumler H, Nascetti S, Salonen JT, Fitó M, Virtanen J, Marrugat J, EUROLIVE Study Group: The effect of polyphenols in olive oil on heart disease risk factors: a randomized trial. Ann Intern Med 2006;145:333–341.
- Barzi F, Woodward M, Marfisi RM, Tavazzi L, Valagussa F, Marchioli R; GISSI-Prevenzione Investigators: Mediterranean diet and all-causes mortality after myocardial infarction: results from the GISSI-Prevenzione trial. Eur J Clin Nutr 2003;57:604–611.
- Tousoulis D, Papageorgiou N, Antoniades C, Giolos A, Bouras G, Gounari P, Stefanadi E, Miliou A, Psaltopoulou T, Stefanadis C: Acute effects of different types of oil consumption on endothelial function, oxidative stress status and vascular inflammation in healthy volunteers. Br J Nutr 2009:1–7.
- Thygesen K, Alpert JS, White HD: Universal definition of myocardial infarction. Eur Heart J 2007;28:2525–2538.
Braunwald E: Heart Disease, ed 5. London, Saunders, 1997.
- Swedberg K, Cleland J, Dargie H, Drexler H, Follath F, Komajda M, Tavazzi L, Smiseth OA, Gavazzi A, Haverich A, Hoes A, Jaarsma T, Korewicki J, Lévy S, Linde C, Lopez-Sendon JL, Nieminen MS, Piérard L, Remme WJ; Task Force for the Diagnosis and Treatment of Chronic Heart Failure of the European Society of Cardiology: Guidelines for the diagnosis and treatment of chronic heart failure: executive summary (update 2005): The Task Force for the Diagnosis and Treatment of Chronic Heart Failure of the European Society of Cardiology. Eur Heart J 2005;26:1115–1140.
- Cockcroft DW, Gault MH: Prediction of creatinine clearance from serum creatinine. Nephron 1976;16:31–41.
- Panagiotakos DB, Pitsavos C, Zampelas A, Chrysohoou C, Stefanadis C: The relationship between fish consumption and the risk of developing acute coronary syndromes among smokers: the CARDIO2000 case-control study. Nutr Metab Cardiovasc Dis 2005;15:402–409.
- Panagiotakos DB, Pitsavos C, Zampelas A, Chrysohoou C, Griffin BA, Stefanadis C, Toutouzas P: Fish consumption and the risk of developing acute coronary syndromes: the CARDIO2000 study. Int J Cardiol 2005;102:403–409.
- Panagiotakos DB, Pitsavos C, Stefanadis C: Dietary patterns: a Mediterranean diet score and its relation to clinical and biological markers of cardiovascular disease risk. Nutr Metab Cardiovasc Dis 2006;16:559–568.
- Panagiotakos DB, Pitsavos C, Arvaniti F, Stefanadis C: Adherence to the Mediterranean food pattern predicts the prevalence of hypertension, hypercholesterolemia, diabetes and obesity, among healthy adults; the accuracy of the MedDietScore. Prev Med 2007;44:335–340.
- Visioli F, Bellomo G, Galli C: Free radical-scavenging properties of olive oil polyphenols. Biochem Biophys Res Commun 1998;247:60–64.
- Fito M, de la Torre R, Farré-Albaladejo M, Khymenetz O, Marrugat J, Covas MI: Bioavailability and antioxidant effects of olive oil phenolic compounds in humans: a review. Ann Ist Super Sanita 2007;43:375–381.
Wahrburg U: What are the health effects of fat? Eur J Nutr 2004;43 suppl 1:I/6–I/11.
- Gardner CD, Kraemer HC: Monounsaturated versus polyunsaturated dietary fat and serum lipids. A meta-analysis. Arterioscler Thromb Vasc Biol 1995;15:1917–1927.
- Polidori MC, Savino K, Alunni G, Freddio M, Senin U, Sies H, Stahl W, Mecocci P: Plasma lipophilic antioxidants and malondialdehyde in congestive heart failure patients: relationship to disease severity. Free Radic Biol Med 2002;32:148–152.
- de Lorgeril M, Salen P, Accominotti M, Cadau M, Steghens JP, Boucher F, de Leiris J: Dietary and blood antioxidants in patients with chronic heart failure. Insights into the potential importance of selenium in heart failure. Eur J Heart Fail 2001;3:661–669.
- White M, Ducharme A, Ibrahim R, Whittom L, Lavoie J, Guertin MC, Racine N, He Y, Yao G, Rouleau JL, Schiffrin EL, Touyz RM: Increased systemic inflammation and oxidative stress in patients with worsening congestive heart failure: improvement after short-term inotropic support. Clin Sci (Lond) 2006;110:483–489.
- Hill MF, Singal PK: Right and left myocardial antioxidant responses during heart failure subsequent to myocardial infarction. Circulation 1997;96:2414–2420.
Korantzopoulos P, Galaris D, Papaioannides D, Siogas K: The possible role of oxidative stress in heart failure and the potential of antioxidant intervention. Med Sci Monit 2003;9:RA120–RA125.
- Covas MI: Olive oil and the cardiovascular system. Pharmacol Res 2007;55:175–186.
- Sharma R, Coats AJ, Anker SD: The role of inflammatory mediators in chronic heart failure: cytokines, nitric oxide, and endothelin-1. Int J Cardiol 2000;72:175–186.
Article / Publication Details
Copyright / Drug Dosage / DisclaimerCopyright: All rights reserved. No part of this publication may be translated into other languages, reproduced or utilized in any form or by any means, electronic or mechanical, including photocopying, recording, microcopying, or by any information storage and retrieval system, without permission in writing from the publisher.
Drug Dosage: The authors and the publisher have exerted every effort to ensure that drug selection and dosage set forth in this text are in accord with current recommendations and practice at the time of publication. However, in view of ongoing research, changes in government regulations, and the constant flow of information relating to drug therapy and drug reactions, the reader is urged to check the package insert for each drug for any changes in indications and dosage and for added warnings and precautions. This is particularly important when the recommended agent is a new and/or infrequently employed drug.
Disclaimer: The statements, opinions and data contained in this publication are solely those of the individual authors and contributors and not of the publishers and the editor(s). The appearance of advertisements or/and product references in the publication is not a warranty, endorsement, or approval of the products or services advertised or of their effectiveness, quality or safety. The publisher and the editor(s) disclaim responsibility for any injury to persons or property resulting from any ideas, methods, instructions or products referred to in the content or advertisements.