Targeted HER2 Treatment in Advanced Gastric CancerJørgensen J.T.
Dx-Rx Institute, Fredensborg, Denmark
Do you have an account?
- Rent for 48h to view
- Buy Cloud Access for unlimited viewing via different devices
- Synchronizing in the ReadCube Cloud
- Printing and saving restrictions apply
Rental: USD 8.50
Cloud: USD 20.00
Article / Publication Details
Amplification of the HER2 gene and over-expression of the HER2 protein in gastric cancer have been shown in a large number of studies. HER2 positivity can be detected in approximately 20% of patients, which is a characteristic associated with poor prognosis. Preclinical in vitro and in vivo studies have demonstrated that both trastuzumab and lapatinib are effective in different gastric cancer models and have thus lead to the initiation of clinical studies. In the first phase III study, the ToGA trial, HER2-positive patients with advanced gastroesophageal and gastric adenocarcinoma were randomized to receive 5-fluorouracil/capecitabine and cisplatin either alone or in combination with trastuzumab. A statically significant gain in overall survival was seen in the patients who received the combined treatment of trastuzumab and chemotherapy. It is expected that the encouraging results from the ToGA trial will have an immediate impact on the management of patients and that routine HER2 testing of patients with advanced gastric cancer will be initiated within a relatively short period of time.
© 2010 S. Karger AG, Basel
- Jørgensen JT, Nielsen KV, Ejlertsen B: Pharmacodiagnostics and targeted therapies: a rational approach for individualizing medical anti-cancer therapy in breast cancer. Oncologist 2007;2:397–405.
Moasser MM: The oncogene HER2: its signaling and transforming functions and its role in human cancer pathogenesis. Oncogene 2007;26:254–264.
- Ross JS, Slodkowska EA, Symmans WF, et al: The HER-2 receptor and breast cancer: ten years of targeted anti-HER-2 therapy and personalized medicine. Oncologist 2009;14:320–368.
- Slamon DJ, Godolphin E, Jones LA, et al: Studies of the HER-2/neu proto-oncogene in human breast and ovarian cancer. Science 1989;244:7007–7012.
- Morris MJ, Reuter VE, Kelly WK, et al: HER-2 prolining and targeting in prostate carcinoma. Cancer 2002;94:980–986.
Schuell B, Gruenberger T, Scheithauer W, et al: HER2/neu protein expression in colorectal cancer. BMC Cancer 2006;123:1–5.
- Safran H, Steinhoff M, Mangray S, et al: Overexpression of the HER-2/neu oncogene in pancreatic adenocarcinoma. Am J Clin Oncol 2001;24:496–499.
- Gravalos C, Jimeno A: HER2 in gastric cancer: a new prognostic factor and a novel therapeutic target. Ann Oncol 2008;19:1523–1529.
Van Cutsem E, Kang Y, Chung H, et al: Efficacy results from the ToGA trial: a phase III study of trastuzumab added to standard chemotherapy in first-line human epidermal growth factor receptor 2 positive advanced gastric cancer. J Clin Oncol 2009;27(suppl):abstract LBA2409. http://media.asco.org/silver.
- Comella P, Franco L, Casaretti R, et al: Emerging role of capecitabine in gastric cancer. Pharmacotherapy 2009;29:318–330.
- Kamangar F, Dores GM, Anderson WF: Patterns of cancer incidence, mortality, and prevalence across five continents: defining priorities to reduce cancer disparities in different geographic regions of the world. J Clin Oncol 2006;24:2137–2150.
- Ohtsu A: Chemotherapy for metastatic gastric cancer: past, present, and future. Gastroenterology 2008;43:256–264.
- Fukushige S, Matsubara K, Yoshida M, et al: Localization of a novel c-erbb-related gene, c-erbb-2, on human chromosome 17 and its amplification in a gastric cancer cell line. Mol Cell Biol 1986;6:955–958.
- Sakai K, Mori S, Kawamoto T, et al: Expression of epidermal growth factor receptors on normal epithelia and gastric carcinomas. J Natl Cancer Inst 1986;77:1047–1052.
Bang Y, Chung J, Xu J, et al: Pathological features of advanced gastric cancer (gc): relationship to human epidermal growth factor receptor 2 (HER2) positivity in the global screening programme of the ToGA trail. J Clin Oncol 2009;27(suppl):abstract 4556.
- Yonemura Y, Ninomiya I, Yamaguchi A, et al: Evaluation of immunoreactivity for erbB-2 protein as a marker of poor short term prognosis in gastric cancer. Cancer Res 1991;51:1034–1038.
- Roh JK, Paik S, Chun HC, et al: Overexpression of erbB-2 protein in gastric adenocarcinoma: a potential role in therapeutic response to adjuvant 5-FU-doxorubicin regimen. Jpn J Cancer Chemother 1992;19:1207–1219.
- Yonemura Y, Ninomiya I, Ohoyama S, et al: Correlation of c-erbB-2 protein expression and lymph node status in early gastric cancer. Oncology 1992;49:363–367.
- Uchino S, Tsuda H, Maruyama K, et al: Overexpression of c-erbB-2 protein in gastric cancer. Cancer 1993;2:3179–3184.
- Lee HR, Kim JH, Uhm HD, et al: Overexpression of c-ErbB-2 protein in gastric cancer by immunohistochemical stain. Oncology 1996;53:192–197.
Shun CT, Wu MS, Lin JT, et al: Relationship of p53 and c-erbB-2 expression to histopathological features, Helicobacter pylori infection and prognosis in gastric cancer. Hepatogastroenterology 1996;44:604–609.
- Ooi A, Kobayashi M, Mai M, et al: Amplification of c-erbB-2 in gastric cancer: detection in formalin-fixed, paraffin-embedded tissue by fluorescence in situ hybridization. Lab Invest 1997;78:345–351.
- Ishikawa T, Kobayashi M, Mai M, et al: Amplification of c-erbB-2(HER2/neu) gene in gastric cancer cells. Am J Pathol 1997;151:761–768.
- Wu MS, Shun CT, Wang HP, et al: Genetic alterations in gastric cancer: relation to histological subtypes, tumor stage, and Helicobacter pylori infection. Gastroenterology 1997;112:1457–1465.
- Allgayer H, Babic R, Gruetzner KU, et al: c-erbB-2 is of independent prognostic relevance in gastric cancer and is associated with the expression of tumor-associated protease systems. J Clin Oncol 2000;18:2201–2209.
- Ougolkov A, Mai M, Takahashi Y, et al: Altered expression of beta-catenin and c-erbB-2 in early gastric cancer. J Exp Clin Cancer Res 2000;19:349–355.
- Sanz-Ortega J, Steinberg SM, Moro E, et al: Comparative study of tumor angiogenesis and immunohistochemistry for p53, c-ErbB2, c-myc and EGFr as prognostic factors in gastric cancer. Histol Histopathol 2000;15:455–462.
- Wang YL, Sheu BS, Yang HB, et al: Overexpression of c-erb-B2 proteins in tumor and non-tumor parts of gastric adenocarcinoma: emphasis on its relation to H. pylori infection and clinicohistological characteristics. Hepatogastroenterology 2002;49:1172–1176.
- Ghaderi A, Vasei M, Maleck-Hosseini SA, et al: The expression of c-erbB-1 and c-erbB-2 in Iranian patients with gastric carcinoma. Pathol Oncol Res 2002;8:252–256.
- Takehana T, Kunitomo K, Kono K, et al: Status of c-erbB-2 in gastric adenocarcinoma: a comparative study of immunohistochemistry, fluorescence in situ hybridization and enzyme-linked immuno-sorbent assay. Int J Cancer 2002;98:833–837.
- Pinto-de-Sousa J, David L, Almeida R, et al: c-erb B-2 expression is associated with tumor location and venous invasion and influences survival of patients with gastric carcinoma. Int J Surg Pathol 2002;10:247–256.
- Lee KE, Lee HJ, Kim YH, et al: Prognostic significance of p53, nm23, PCNA and c-erbB-2 in gastric cancer. Jpn J Clin Oncol 2003;33:173–179.
Yano T, Doi T, Ohtsu A, et al: Comparison of HER2 gene amplification assessed by fluorescence in situ hybridization and HER2 protein expression assessed by immunohistochemistry in gastric cancer. Oncol Rep 2006;5:65–71.
- Park DI, Yun JW, Park JH, et al: Her2/neu amplification is an independent prognostic factor in gastric cancer. Dig Dis Sci 2006;51:1371–1379.
- Hofmann M, Stoss O, Shi D, et al: Assessment of a HER2 scoring system for gastric cancer: results from a validation study. Histopathology 2008;52:797–805.
- Barros-Silva JD, Leitão D, Afonso L, et al: Association of ERBB2 gene status with histopathological parameters and disease-specific survival in gastric carcinoma patients. Br J Cancer 2009;100:487–493.
- Marx AH, Tharun L, Muth J, et al: HER-2 amplification is highly homogenous in gastric cancer. Hum Pathol 2009;40:769–777.
- Yu GZ, Chen Y, Wang JJ: Overexpression of Grb2/HER2 signaling in Chinese gastric cancer: their relationship with clinicopathological parameters and prognostic significance. J Cancer Res Clin Oncol 2009;135:1331–1339.
- Zhang XL, Yang YS, Xu DP, et al: Comparative study on overexpression of HER2/neu and HER3 in gastric cancer. World J Surg 2009;33:2112–2118.
- Tanner M, Hollmén M, Junttila TT, et al: Amplification of HER-2 in gastric carcinoma: association with topoisomerase II alpha gene amplification, intestinal type, poor prognosis and sensitivity to trastuzumab. Ann Oncol 2005;16:273–278.
- Nielsen KV, Ejlertsen B, Møller S, et al: The value of TOP2A gene copy number variation as a biomarker in breast cancer: update of DBCG trial 89D. Acta Oncol 2008;47:725–734.
- O’Malley PF, Chia S, Tu D, et al: Topoisomerase II alpha and responsiveness of breast cancer to adjuvant chemotherapy. J Natl Cancer Inst 2009;101:644–650.
- Ross JS, Slodkowska A, Symmans WF, et al: The HER-2 receptor and breast cancer: ten years of targeted anti-HER-2 therapy and personalized medicine. Oncologist 2009;14:320–368.
- Lottner C, Schwarz S, Diermeier S, et al: Simultaneous detection of HER2/neu gene amplification and protein overexpression in paraffin-embedded breast cancer. J Pathol 2005;205:577–584.
- O’Malley PF, Thomson T, Julian J, et al: HER2 testing in a population-based study of patients with metastatic breast cancer treated with trastuzumab. Arch Pathol Lab Med 2008;132:61–65.
- Mueller RE, Parkes RK, Andrulis I, et al: Amplification of the TOP2A gene does not predict high levels of topoisomerase II alpha protein in human breast tumor samples. Genes Chromosomes Cancer 2004;39:288–297.
- Kasprzyk PG, Song SU, Di Fiore PP, et al: Therapy of an animal model of human gastric cancer using a combination of anti-erbB-2 monoclonal antibodies. Cancer Res 1992;52:2771–2776.
- Kim SY, Kim HP, Kim YJ, et al: Trastuzumab inhibits the growth of human gastric cancer cell lines with HER2 amplification synergistically with cisplatin. Int J Oncol 2008;32:89–95.
- Matsui Y, Inomata M, Tojigamori M, et al: Suppression of tumor growth in human gastric cancer with HER2 over-expression by an anti-HER2 antibody in a murine model. Int J Oncol 2005;27:681–685.
- Fujimoto-Ouchi K, Sekiguchi F, Yasuno H, et al: Antitumor activity of trastuzumab in combination with chemotherapy in human gastric cancer xenograft models. Cancer Chemother Pharmacol 2007;59:795–805.
- Kim JW, Kim HP, Im SA, et al: The growth inhibitory effect of lapatinib, a dual inhibitor of EGFR and HER2 tyrosine kinase, in gastric cancer cell lines. Cancer Lett 2008;272:296–306.
- Inui T, Asakawa A, Morita Y, et al: HER-2 overexpression and targeted treatment by trastuzumab in a very old patient with gastric cancer. J Intern Med 2006;260:484–487.
- Rebischung C, Barnoud R, Stéfani L, et al: The effectiveness of trastuzumab (Herceptin) combined with chemotherapy for gastric carcinoma with overexpression of the c-erbB-2 protein. Gastric Cancer 2005;8:249–252.
Rech J, Arnold D, Folprecht G, et al: A pilot study of Trastuzumab mono therapy in patients who progressed while on chemotherapy for metastatic or locally advanced HER2-postive gastric cancer. Ann Oncol 2006;17(suppl 9):314 (abstract 1096P).
Nicholas G, Cripps C, Heather-Jane A, et al: Early results of a trial of trastuzumab, cisplatin, and docetaxel (TCD) for the treatment of metastatic gastric cancer overexpressing HER-2. Ann Oncol 2006;17(suppl 9):316 (abstract 1105P).
Cortes-Funes H, Rivera F, Ales I, et al: Phase II of trastuzumab and cisplatin in patients with advanced gastric cancer with HER2/neu overexpression/amplification. J Clin Oncol 2007;15(suppl):abstract 4613.
ClinicalTrials.gov. http://clinicaltrials.gov/ct2/home (accessed August 4, 2009).
- Jørgensen JT: New era of personalized medicine: a 10-years anniversary. Oncologist 2009;14:557–558.
- Jørgensen JT: Are we approaching the post-blockbuster era? Pharmacodiagnostics and rational drug development. Expert Rev Mol Diagn 2008;8:689–695.
- Jørgensen JT: From blockbuster medicine to personalized medicine. Per Med 2008;5:55–63.
Article / Publication Details
Copyright / Drug Dosage / DisclaimerCopyright: All rights reserved. No part of this publication may be translated into other languages, reproduced or utilized in any form or by any means, electronic or mechanical, including photocopying, recording, microcopying, or by any information storage and retrieval system, without permission in writing from the publisher.
Drug Dosage: The authors and the publisher have exerted every effort to ensure that drug selection and dosage set forth in this text are in accord with current recommendations and practice at the time of publication. However, in view of ongoing research, changes in government regulations, and the constant flow of information relating to drug therapy and drug reactions, the reader is urged to check the package insert for each drug for any changes in indications and dosage and for added warnings and precautions. This is particularly important when the recommended agent is a new and/or infrequently employed drug.
Disclaimer: The statements, opinions and data contained in this publication are solely those of the individual authors and contributors and not of the publishers and the editor(s). The appearance of advertisements or/and product references in the publication is not a warranty, endorsement, or approval of the products or services advertised or of their effectiveness, quality or safety. The publisher and the editor(s) disclaim responsibility for any injury to persons or property resulting from any ideas, methods, instructions or products referred to in the content or advertisements.