Nonpharmacological Therapies in Alzheimer’s Disease: A Systematic Review of EfficacyOlazarán J.a · Reisberg B.i · Clare L.e · Cruz I.a · Peña-Casanova J.a, d · del Ser T.a, b · Woods B.e · Beck C.j · Auer S.m · Lai C.n · Spector A.f · Fazio S.k · Bond J.g · Kivipelto M.o · Brodaty H.p · Rojo J.M.c · Collins H.h · Teri L.l · Mittelman M.i · Orrell M.f · Feldman H.H.q, r · Muñiz R.a
aMaria Wolff Foundation, bNoscira and cSuperior Council of Scientific Research, Madrid, and dHospital del Mar and Municipal Institute of Medical Research, Barcelona, Spain; eBangor University, Bangor, fUniversity College London, London, gNewcastle University, Newcastle, and hCochrane Dementia and Cognitive Improvement Group, Oxford, UK; iNew York University Medical Center, New York, N.Y., jUniversity of Arkansas for Medical Sciences, Little Rock, Ark., kAlzheimer’s Association, Chicago, Ill., and lUniversity of Washington School of Nursing, Seattle, Wash., USA; mMAS Alzheimerhelp, Bad Ischl, Austria; nHong Kong Polytechnic University, Hong Kong, SAR, China; oKarolinska Institutet, Stockholm, Sweden; pUniversity of New South Wales, Sydney, N.S.W., Australia; qDivision of Neurology, University of British Columbia, Vancouver, B.C., Canada, and rNeuroscience, Bristol Myers Squibb, Wallingford, Conn., USA
Maria Wolff Foundation
Río Sil 15
ES–28669 Boadilla del Monte, Madrid (Spain)
Tel. +34 609 170 712, Fax +34 916 320 363, E-Mail email@example.com
Do you have an account?
Introduction: Nonpharmacological therapies (NPTs) can improve the quality of life (QoL) of people with Alzheimer’s disease (AD) and their carers. The objective of this study was to evaluate the best evidence on the effects of NPTs in AD and related disorders (ADRD) by performing a systematic review and meta-analysis of the entire field. Methods: Existing reviews and major electronic databases were searched for randomized controlled trials (RCTs). The deadline for study inclusion was September 15, 2008. Intervention categories and outcome domains were predefined by consensus. Two researchers working together detected 1,313 candidate studies of which 179 RCTs belonging to 26 intervention categories were selected. Cognitive deterioration had to be documented in all participants, and degenerative etiology (indicating dementia) had to be present or presumed in at least 80% of the subjects. Evidence tables, meta-analysis and summaries of results were elaborated by the first author and reviewed by author subgroups. Methods for rating level of evidence and grading practice recommendations were adapted from the Oxford Center for Evidence-Based Medicine. Results: Grade A treatment recommendation was achieved for institutionalization delay (multicomponent interventions for the caregiver, CG). Grade B recommendation was reached for the person with dementia (PWD) for: improvement in cognition (cognitive training, cognitive stimulation, multicomponent interventions for the PWD); activities of daily living (ADL) (ADL training, multicomponent interventions for the PWD); behavior (cognitive stimulation, multicomponent interventions for the PWD, behavioral interventions, professional CG training); mood (multicomponent interventions for the PWD); QoL (multicomponent interventions for PWD and CG) and restraint prevention (professional CG training); for the CG, grade B was also reached for: CG mood (CG education, CG support, multicomponent interventions for the CG); CG psychological well-being (cognitive stimulation, multicomponent interventions for the CG); CG QoL (multicomponent interventions for PWD and CG). Conclusion: NPTs emerge as a useful, versatile and potentially cost-effective approach to improve outcomes and QoL in ADRD for both the PWD and CG.
© 2010 S. Karger AG, Basel
Reisberg B, Javed A, Kenowsky S, Auer SR: Alzheimer’s Disease; in Zaretsky HH, Richter EF III, Eisenberg MG (eds): Medical Aspects of Disability, ed 3. New York, Springer, 2005, pp 79–118.
Kitwood T: Dementia Reconsidered: The Person Comes First. Milton Keynes, Open University Press, 1997.
- Reisberg B, Franssen EH, Souren LE, Auer SR, Akram I, Kenowsky S: Evidence and mechanisms of retrogenesis in Alzheimer’s and other dementias: management and treatment import. Am J Alzheimers Dis Other Demen 2002;17:202–212.
- Ferri CP, Prince M, Brayne C, Brodaty H, Fratiglioni L, Ganguli M, Hall K, Hasegawa K, Hendrie H, Huang Y, Jorm A, Mathers C, Menezes PR, Rimmer E, Scazufca M, for Alzheimer’s Disease International: Global prevalence of dementia: a Delphi consensus study. Lancet 2005;366:2112–2117.
- Wimo A, Winblad B, Jönsson L: An estimate of the total worldwide societal costs of dementia in 2005. Alzheimer Dementia 2007;3:81–91.
- Higgins JPT, Thompson SG, Deeks JJ, Altman DG: Measuring inconsistency in meta-analyses. BMJ 2003;327:557–560.
Simon SD: Statistical Evidence in Medical Trials: Mountain or Molehill, What Do the Data Really Tell Us? New York, Oxford University Press, 2006.
- Reisberg B, Ferris SH, de Leon MJ, Crook T: The Global Deterioration Scale for assessment of primary degenerative dementia. Am J Psychiatry 1982;139:1136–1139.
- Zarit SH, Zarit JM, Reever KE: Memory training for severe memory loss: effects on senile dementia patients and their caregivers. Gerontologist 1982;22:373–377.
- Beck C, Heacock P, Mercer S, Thatcher R, Sparkman C: The impact of cognitive skills remediation training on persons with Alzheimer’s disease or mixed dementia. J Geriatr Psychiatry 1988;21:73–88.
- Günther V, Fuchs D, Schett P, Meise U, Rhomberg HP: Kognitives Training bei organischem Psychosyndrom (Cognitive training in psycho-organic syndromes). Dtsch Med Wochenschr 1991;116:846–851.
- Heiss WD, Kessler J, Mielke R, Szelies B, Herholz K: Long-term effects of phophatidylserine, pyritinol and cognitive training in Alzheimer’s disease. Dementia 1994;5:88–98.
- Quayhagen MP, Quayhagen M, Corbeil RR, Roth PA, Rodgers JA: A dyadic remediation program for care recipients with dementia. Nurs Res 1995;44:153–159.
- Quayhagen MP, Quayhagen M, Corbeil RR, Hendrix RC, Jackson JE, Snyder L, et al: Coping with dementia: evaluation of four nonpharmacologic interventions. Int Psychogeriatr 2000;12:249–265.
- Tappen RM, Roach KE, Applegate EB, Stowell P: Effect of a combined walking and conversation intervention on functional mobility of nursing home residents with Alzheimer disease. Alzheimer Dis Assoc Disord 2000;14:196–201.
- Tappen RM, Williams CL, Barry C, Di Sesa D: Conversation intervention with Alzheimer’s patients: increasing the relevance of communication. Clin Gerontol 2001;24:63–75.
- Davis RN, Massman PJ, Doody RS: Cognitive intervention in Alzheimer disease: a randomized placebo-controlled study. Alzheimer Dis Assoc Disord 2001;15:1–9.
- Cahn-Weiner DA, Malloy PF, Rebok GW, Ott BR: Results of a randomized placebo-controlled study of memory training for mildly impaired Alzheimer’s disease patients. Appl Neuropsychol 2003;10:215–223.
- Loewenstein DA, Acevedo A, Czaja SJ, Duara R: Cognitive rehabilitation of mildly impaired Alzheimer disease patients on cholinesterase inhibitors. Am J Geriatr Psychiatry 2004;12:395–402.
Kawashima R, Okita K, Yamazaki R, Tajima N, Yoshida H, Taira M, et al: Reading aloud and arithmetic calculation improve frontal function of people with dementia. J Gerontol A Biol Sci Med Sci 2005;60A:380–384.
- Tárraga L, Boada M, Modinos G, Espinosa A, Diego S, Morera A, Guitart M, Balcells J, Lopez OL, Becker JT: A randomised pilot study to assess the efficacy of an interactive, multimedia tool of cognitive stimulation in Alzheimer’s disease. J Neurol Neurosurg Psychiatry 2006;77:1116–1121.
Galante E, Venturini G, Fiaccadori C: Computer-based cognitive intervention for dementia: preliminary results of a randomized clinical trial. G Ital Med Lav Ergon 2007;29:26–32.
- Rozzini L, Costardi D, Chilovi BV, Franzoni S, Trabucchi M, Padovani A: Efficacy of cognitive rehabilitation in patients with mild cognitive impairment treated with cholinesterase inhibitors. Int J Geriatr Psychiatry 2007;22:356–360.
- Robinson K, Yates K: Effects of two caregiver-training programs on burden and attitude toward help. Arch Psychiatr Nurs 1994;8:312–319.
- Teri L, Logsdon RG, Uomoto J, McCurry SM: Behavioral treatment of depression in dementia patients: a controlled clinical trial. J Gerontol B Psychol Sci Soc Sci 1997;52:P159–P166.
- Burgener SC, Bakas T, Murray C, Dunahee J, Tossey S: Effective caregiving approaches for patients with Alzheimer’s disease. Geriatr Nurs 1998;19:121–126.
- Teri L, Logsdon RG, Peskind E, Raskind M, Weiner MF, Tractenberg RE, et al: Treatment of agitation in AD: a randomized, placebo-controlled clinical trial. Neurology 2000;55:1271–1278.
- Gormley N, Lyons D, Howard R: Behavioural management of aggression in dementia: a randomized controlled trial. Age Ageing 2001;30:141–145.
- Bourgeois, Michelle S, Schulz R, Burgio L, Beach S: Skills training for spouses of patients with Alzheimer’s disease: outcomes of an intervention study. J Clin Geropsychol 2002;8:53–73.
Farran CJ, Gilley DW, McCann JJ, Bienias JL, Lindeman DA, Evans DA: Psychosocial interventions to reduce depressive symptoms of dementia caregivers: a randomized clinical trial comparing two approaches. J Mental Health Aging 2004;10:337–350.
- Losada-Baltar A, Izal Fernandez de Troconiz M, Montorio Cerrato I, Marquez Gonzalez M, Perez Rojo G: Differential efficacy of two psychoeducational interventions for dementia family caregivers (in Spanish). Rev Neurol 2004;38:701–708.
- Teri L, McCurry SM, Logsdon R, Gibbons LE: Training community consultants to help family members improve dementia care: a randomized controlled trial. Gerontologist 2005;45:802–811.
- Gonyea JG, O’Connor MK, Boyle PA, Project CARE: A randomized controlled trial of a behavioral intervention group for Alzheimer’s disease caregivers. Gerontologist 2006;46:827–832.
- Gant JR, Steffen AM, Lauderdale SA: Comparative outcomes of two distance-based interventions for male caregivers of family members with dementia. Am J Alzheimers Dis Other Demen 2007;22:120–128.
- Woods RT: Reality orientation and staff attention: a controlled study. Br J Psychiatry 1979;134:502–507.
- Baines S, Saxby P, Ehlert K: Reality orientation and reminiscence therapy: a controlled cross-over study of elderly confused people. Br J Psychiatry 1987;151:222–231.
- Gerber GJ, Prince PN, Snider HG, Atchinson K, Dubois L, Kilgour JA: Group activity and cognitive improvement among patients with Alzheimer’s disease. Hosp Community Psychiatry 1991;42:843–846.
- Breuil V, De Rotrou J, Forette F, Tortrar D, Ganancia-Ganem A, Frambourt A, et al: Cognitive stimulation of patients with dementia: preliminary results. Int J Geriatr Psychiatry 1994;9:211–217.
- Robichaud L, Hebert R, Desrosiers J: Efficacy of a sensory integration program on behaviors of inpatients with dementia. Am J Occup Ther 1994;48:355–360.
- Bach D, Bach M, Böhmer F, Frühwald T, Grilc B: Reactivating occupational therapy: a method to improve cognitive performance in geriatric patients. Age Ageing 1995;24:222–226.
- Spector A, Orrell M, Davies S, Woods B: Can reality orientation be rehabilitated? Development and piloting of an evidence-based programme of cognition-based therapies for people with dementia. Neuropsychol Rehabil 2001;11:377–397.
- Spector A, Thorgrimsen L, Woods B, Royan L, Davies S, Butterworth M, Orrell M: Efficacy of an evidence-based cognitive stimulation therapy programme for people with dementia. Br J Psychiatry 2003;183:248–254.
- Knapp M, Thorgrimsen L, Patel A, et al: Cognitive stimulation therapy for people with dementia: cost-effectiveness analysis. Br J Psychiatry 2006;188:574–580.
- Politis AM, Vozzella S, Mayer LS, Onyike CU, Baker AS, Lyketsos CG: A randomized, controlled, clinical trial of activity therapy for apathy in patients with dementia residing in long-term care. Int J Geriatr Psychiatry 2004;19:1087–1094.
- Onder G, Zanetti O, Giacobini E, Frisoni GB, Bartorelli L, Carbones G, et al: Reality orientation therapy combined with cholinesterase inhibitors in Alzheimer’s disease: randomized controlled trial. Br J Psychiatry 2005;187:450–455.
- Scherder EJ, Bouma A, Steen LM: Effects of ‘isolated’ transcutaneous electrical nerve stimulation on memory and affective behavior in patients with probable Alzheimer’s disease. Biol Psychiatry 1998;43:417–424.
- Van Someren EJW, Scherder EJA, Swaab DF: Transcutaneous electrical nerve stimulation (TENS) improves circadian rhythm disturbances in Alzheimer disease. Alzheimer Dis Assoc Disord 1998;12:114–118.
- Scherder EJ, Bouma A: Effects of transcutaneous electrical nerve stimulation on behavior and memory in Alzheimer’s disease may be stage-dependent. Biol Psychiatry 1999;45:743–749.
- Scherder EJ, Van Someren EJ, Swaab DF: Transcutaneous electrical nerve stimulation (TENS) improves the rest-activity rhythm in midstage Alzheimer’s disease. Behav Brain Res 1999;101:105–107.
- Scherder EJ, Deijen JB, Vreeswijk SH, Sergeant JA, Swaab DF: Cranial electrostimulation (CES) in patients with probable Alzheimer’s disease. Behav Brain Res 2002;128:215–217.
- Scherder E, Knol D, van Someren E, Deijen JB, Binnekade R, Tilders F, Sergeant J: Effects of low-frequency cranial electrostimulation on the rest-activity rhythm and salivary cortisol in Alzheimer’s disease. Neurorehabil Neural Repair 2003;17:101–108.
- Luijpen MW, Swaab DF, Sergeant JA, Scherder EJ: Effects of transcutaneous electrical nerve stimulation (TENS) on self-efficacy and mood in elderly with mild cognitive impairment. Neurorehabil Neural Repair 2004;18:166–175.
- Luijpen MW, Swaab DF, Sergeant JA, van Dijk KR, Scherder EJ: Effects of transcutaneous electrical nerve stimulation (TENS) on memory in elderly with mild cognitive impairment. Behav Brain Res 2005;158:349–357.
- Van Dijk K, Scheltens P, Luijpen MW, Sergeant JA, Scherder E: Peripheral electrical stimulation in Alzheimer’s disease. Dementia Geriatr Cogn Disord 2005;19:361–368.
- Van Dijk KRA, Luijpen MW, Van Someren EJW, Sergeant JA, Scheltens P, Scherder EJA: Peripheral electrical nerve stimulation and rest-activity rhythm in Alzheimer’s disease. J Sleep Res 2006;15:415–423.
- Scherder E, Knol D, van Tol MJ, van Someren E, Deijen JB, Swaab D, Scheltens P: Effects of high-frequency cranial electrostimulation on the rest-activity rhythm and salivary cortisol in Alzheimer’s disease: a pilot study. Dement Geriatr Cogn Disord 2006;22:267–272.
- Scherder EJ, van Tol MJ, Swaab DF: High-frequency cranial electrostimulation (CES) in patients with probable Alzheimer’s disease. Am J Phys Med Rehabil 2006;85:614–618.
- Scherder EJ, Vuijk PJ, Swaab DF, Van Someren EJ: Estimating the effects of right median nerve stimulation on memory in Alzheimer’s disease: a randomized controlled pilot study. Exp Aging Res 2007;33:177–186.
- Friedman R, Tappen RM: The effect of planned walking on communication in Alzheimer’s disease. J Am Geriatr Soc 1991;39:650–654.
- Francese T, Sorrell J, Butler FR: The effects of regular exercise on muscle strength and functional abilities of late stage Alzheimer’s residents. Am J Alzheimer Dis 1997;12:122–127.
- Pomeroy VM, Warren CM, Honeycombe C, Briggs RS, Wilkinson DG, Pickering RM, et al: Mobility and dementia: is physiotherapy treatment during respite care effective? Int J Geriatr Psychiatry 1999;14:389–397.
- Cott CA, Dawson P, Sidani S, Wells D: The effects of a walking/talking program on communication, ambulation, and functional status in residents with Alzheimer disease. Alzheimer Dis Assoc Disord 2002;16:81–87.
- Toulotte C, Fabre C, Dangremont B, Lensel G, Thevenon A: Effects of physical training on the physical capacity of frail, demented patients with a history of falling: a randomised controlled trial. Age Ageing 2003;32:67–73.
- Scherder EJA, Van Paasschen J, Deijen J-B, Van der Knokke S, Orlebeke JFK, Burgers I, et al: Physical activity and executive functions in the elderly with mild cognitive impairment. Aging Mental Health 2005;9:272–280.
- Van Uffelen JG, Chin A, Hopman-Rock M, Van Mechelen W: The effect of walking and vitamin B supplementation on quality of life in community-dwelling adults with mild cognitive impairment: a randomized, controlled trial. Qual Life Res 2007;16:1137–1146.
- Van Uffelen JG, Chinapaw MJ, van Mechelen W, Hopman-Rock M: Walking or vitamin B for cognition in older adults with mild cognitive impairment? A randomised controlled trial. Br J Sports Med 2008;42:344–351.
- Williams CL, Tappen RM: Effect of exercise on mood in nursing home residents with Alzheimer’s disease. Am J Alzheimers Dis Other Demen 2007;22:389–397.
- Riegler J: Comparison of a reality orientation program for geriatric patients with and without music. J Music Ther 1980;17:26–33.
Groene RW: Effectiveness of music therapy 1:1 intervention with individuals having senile dementia of the Alzheimer’s type. J Music Ther 1993;30:138–157.
- Lord TR, Garner JE: Effects of music on Alzheimer patients. Percept Mot Skills 1993;76:451–455.
- Silber F: The influence of background music on the performance of the Mini-Mental State Examination with patients diagnosed with Alzheimer’s disease. J Music Ther 1999;36:196–206.
- Remington R: Calming music and hand massage with agitated elderly. Nurs Res 2002;51:317–323.
- Liu G, Yuan LX: Clinical observation on acupuncture combined with music for treatment of Alzheimer disease (in Chinese). Zhongguo Zhen Jiu 2005;25:390–392.
- Svansdottir HB, Snaedal J: Music therapy in moderate and severe dementia of Alzheimer’s type: a case-control study. Int Psychogeriatr 2006;18:613–621.
- Tabourne CES: The effects of a life review program on disorientation, social interaction and self-esteem of nursing home residents. Int J Aging Hum Dev 1995;41:251–266.
- Thorgrimsen L, Schweitzer P, Orrell M: Evaluating reminiscence for people with dementia: a pilot study. Arts Psychother 2002;29:93–97.
- Lai CKY, Chi I, Kayser-Jones J: A randomized controlled trial of a specific reminiscence approach to promote the well-being of nursing home residents with dementia. Int Psychogeriatr 2004;16:33–49.
- Haight BK, Gibson F, Michel Y: The Northern Ireland life review/life storybook project for people with dementia. Alzheimers Dement 2006;2:56–58.
- Tadaka E, Kanagawa K: Effects of reminiscence group in elderly people with Alzheimer disease and vascular dementia in a community setting. Geriatr Gerontol Int 2007;7:167–173.
- Schnelle JF: Treatment of urinary incontinence in nursing home patients by prompted voiding. J Am Geriatr Soc 1990;38:356–360.
- Tappen RM: The effect of skill training on functional abilities of nursing home residents with dementia. Res Nurs Health 1994;17:159–165.
- Coyne ML, Hoskins L: Improving eating behaviors in dementia using behavioral strategies. Clin Nurs Res 1997;6:275–290.
- McGilton KS, Rivera TM, Dawson P: Can we help persons with dementia find their way in a new environment? Aging Ment Health 2003;7:363–371.
- Eaton M, Mitchell-Bonair IL, Friedmann E: The effect of touch on nutritional intake of chronic organic brain syndrome patients. J Gerontol 1986;41:611–616.
- Woods DL, Craven RF, Whitney J: The effect of therapeutic touch on behavioral symptoms of persons with dementia. Altern Ther Health Med 2005;11:66–74.
- Hawranik P, Johnston P, Deatrich J: Therapeutic touch and agitation in individuals with Alzheimer’s disease. West J Nurs Res 2008;30:417–434.
- Mitchell LA, Maercklein G: The effect of individualized special instructions on the behaviors of nursing home residents diagnosed with dementia. Am J Alzheimer Dis Other Demen 1996;11:23–31.
- Oppikofer S, Albrecht K, Schelling HR, Wettstein A: Die Auswirkungen sozialer Unterstützung auf das Wohlbefinden dementer Heimbewohnerinnen und Heimbewohner: die Käferberg-Besucherstudie (Effects of social support on the well-being of demented institutionalized aged). Z Gerontol Geriatrie 2002;35:39–48.
- Richards KC, Beck C, O’Sullivan PS, Shue VM: Effect of individualized social activity on sleep in nursing home residents with dementia. J Am Geriatr Soc 2005;53:1510–1517.
- Ancoli-Israel S, Gehrman P, Martin JL, Shochat T, Marler M, Corey-Bloom J, Levi L: Increased light exposure consolidates sleep and strengthens circadian rhythms in severe Alzheimer’s disease patients. Behav Sleep Med 2003;1:22–36.
- Ancoli-Israel S, Martin JL, Gehrman P, Shochat T, Corey-Bloom J, Marler M, et al: Effect of light on agitation in institutionalized patients with severe Alzheimer disease. Am J Geriatr Psychiatry 2003;11:194–203.
- Gasio PF, Krauchi K, Cajochen C, Someren E, Amrhein I, Pache M, Savaskan E, Wirz-Justice A: Dawn-dusk simulation light therapy of disturbed circadian rest-activity cycles in demented elderly. Exp Gerontol 2003;38:207–216.
Connell BR, Sanford JA, Lewis D: Therapeutic effects of an outdoor activity program on nursing home residents with dementia. J Hous Elderly 2007;21:195–209.
- Dowling GA, Burr RL, Van Someren EJ, et al: Melatonin and bright-light treatment for rest-activity disruption in institutionalized patients with Alzheimer’s disease. J Am Geriatr Soc 2008;56:239–246.
- Baker R, Holloway J, Holtkamp CCM, Larsson A, Hartman LC, Pearce R, Scherman B, Johansson S, Thomas PW, Wareing LA, Owens M: Effects of multi-sensory stimulation for people with dementia. J Adv Nurs 2003;43:465–477.
- Staal JA, Sacks A, Matheis R, Collier L, Calia T, Hanif H, Kofman ES: The effects of Snoezelen (multi-sensory behavior therapy) and psychiatric care on agitation, apathy, and activities of daily living in dementia patients on a short term geriatric psychiatric inpatient unit. Int J Psychiatry Med 2007;37:357–370.
- Milev RV, Kellar T, McLean M, et al: Multisensory stimulation for elderly with dementia: a 24-week single-blind randomized controlled pilot study. Am J Alzheimers Dis Other Demen 2008;23:372–376.
La Barge E, Rosenman LS, Leavitt K, Cristiani T: Counseling clients with mild senile dementia of the Alzheimer’s type: a pilot study. J Neurol Rehab 1988;2:167–173.
- Burns A, Guthrie E, Marino-Francis F, et al: Brief psychotherapy in Alzheimer’s disease: randomised controlled trial. Br J Psychiatry 2005;187:143–147.
- Robb S, Stegman CE, Wolanin MO: No research versus research with compromised results: a study of validation therapy. Nurs Res 1986;35:113–118.
- Toseland RW, Diehl M, Freeman K, Manzanares T, Naleppa M, McCallion P: The impact of validation group therapy on nursing home residents with dementia. J Appl Gerontol 1997;16:31–50.
- Sun Y, Zhu P, Zhang M, Zhang Y: Clinical observation on Yuanluo Tongjing needling method for treatment of mild cognitive impairment (in Chinese). Zhongguo Zhenjiu 2007;27:810–812.
- Solé-Padullés C, Bartrés-Faz D, Junqué C, et al: Repetitive transcranial magnetic stimulation effects on brain function and cognition among elders with memory dysfunction: a randomized sham-controlled study. Cereb Cortex 2006;16:1487–1493.
- Suhr J, Anderson S, Tranel D: Progressive muscle relaxation in the management of behavioural disturbance in Alzheimer’s disease. Neuropsychol Rehab 1999;9:31–44.
- Koltai DC, Welsh-Bohmer KA, Schmechel DE: Influence of anosognosia on treatment outcome among dementia patients. Neuropsychol Rehab 2001;11:455–475.
- Rapp SR, Brenes R, Marsh AP: Memory enhancement training for older adults with mild cognitive impairment: a preliminary study. Aging Mental Health 2002;6:5–11.
- Teri L, Gibbons LE, McCurry SM, Logsdon RG, Buchner DM, Barlow WE, et al: Exercise plus behavioral management in patients with Alzheimer disease: a randomized controlled trial. JAMA 2003;290:2015–2022.
- Chapman SB, Weiner MF, Rackley A, Hynan LS, Zientz J: Effects of cognitive-communication stimulation for Alzheimer’s disease patients treated with donepezil. J Speech Lang Hear Res 2004;47:1149– 1164.
- Olazarán J, Muñiz R, Reisberg B, Peña- Casanova J, del Ser T, Cruz-Jentoft AJ, et al: Benefits of cognitive-motor intervention in MCI and mild to moderate Alzheimer disease. Neurology 2004;63:2348–2353.
- Tadaka E, Kanagawa K: A randomized controlled trial of a group care program for community-dwelling elderly people with dementia. Jpn J Nurs Sci 2004;1:19–25.
- Van de Winckel A, Fey H, De Weerdt W, Dom R: Cognitive and behavioural effects of music-based exercises in patients with dementia. Clin Rehabil 2004;18:253–260.
- Jablonski RA, Reed D, Maas ML: Care intervention for older adults with Alzheimer’s disease and related dementias: effect of family involvement on cognitive and functional outcomes in nursing homes. J Gerontol Nurs 2005;31:38–48.
- McCurry SM, Gibbons LE, Logsdon RG, Vitiello MV, Teri L: Nighttime insomnia treatment and education for Alzheimer’s disease: a randomized, controlled trial. J Am Geriatr Soc 2005;53:793–802.
- Poon P, Hui E, Dai D, Kwok T, Woo J: Cognitive intervention for community-dwelling older persons with memory problems: telemedicine versus face-to-face treatment. Int J Geriatr Psychiatry 2005;20:285–286.
- Stevens J, Killeen M: A randomised controlled trial testing the impact of exercise on cognitive symptoms and disability of residents with dementia. Contemp Nurse 2006;21:32–40.
- Sung HC, Chang SM, Lee WL, Lee MS: The effects of group music with movement intervention on agitated behaviours of institutionalized elders with dementia in Taiwan. Complement Ther Med 2006;14:113–119.
- Netz Y, Axelrad S, Argov E: Group physical activity for demented older adults feasibility and effectiveness. Clin Rehabil 2007;21:977–986.
- Rolland Y, Pillard F, Klapouszczak A, Reynish E, Thomas D, Andrieu S, Riviere D, Vellas B: Exercise program for nursing home residents with Alzheimer’s disease: a 1-year randomized, controlled trial. J Am Geriatr Soc 2007;55:158–165.
- Burgener SC, Yang Y, Gilbert R, Marsh-Yant S: The effects of a multimodal intervention on outcomes of persons with early-stage dementia. Am J Alzheimers Dis Other Demen 2008;23:382–394.
- Meguro M, Kasai M, Akanuma K, Ishii H, Yamaguchi S, Meguro K: Comprehensive approach of donepezil and psychosocial interventions on cognitive function and quality of life for Alzheimer’s disease: the Osaki-Tajiri Project. Age Ageing 2008;37:469–473.
- Troyer AK, Murphy KJ, Anderson ND, Moscovitch M, Craik FI: Changing everyday memory behaviour in amnestic mild cognitive impairment: a randomised controlled trial. Neuropsychol Rehabil 2008;18:65–88.
- Zarit SH, Anthony CR, Boutselis M: Interventions with care givers of dementia patients: comparison of two approaches. Psychol Aging 1987;2:225–232.
- Whitlatch CJ, Zarit SH, von Eye A: Efficacy of interventions with caregivers: a reanalysis. Gerontologist 1991;31:9–14.
- Schmidt GL, Bonjean MJ, Wildem AC, Schefft BK, Steele DJ: Brief psychotherapy for caregivers of demented relatives: comparison of two therapeutic strategies. Clin Gerontologist 1988;7:109–125.
- Sutcliffe C, Larner S: Counselling carers of the elderly at home: a preliminary study. Br J Clin Psychol 1988;27:177–178.
- Perkins RE, Poynton CF: Group counselling for relatives of hospitalized presenile dementia patients: a controlled study. Br J Clin Psychol 1990;29:287–295.
- Hébert R, Leclerc G, Bravo G, Girouard D, Lefrançois R: Efficacy of a support group programme for care-givers of demented patients in the community: a randomized controlled trial. Arch Gerontol Geriatr 1994;18:1–14.
- Hébert R, Girouard D, Leclerc G, Bravo G, Lefrançois R: The impact of a support group programme for care-givers on the institutionalisation of demented patients. Arch Gerontol Geriatr 1995;20:129–134.
- Gendron C, Poitras L, Dastoor DP, Perodeau G: Cognitive-behavioral group intervention for spousal caregivers: findings and clinical considerations. Clin Gerontologist 1996;17:3–19.
- McCurry SM, Logsdon RG, Vitiello MV, Teri L: Successful behavioral treatment for reported sleep problems in elderly caregivers of dementia patients: a controlled study. J Gerontol B Psychol Sci Soc Sci 1998;53:P122–P129.
- Ostwald SK, Hepburn KW, Caron W, Burns T, Mantell R: Reducing caregiver burden: a randomized psychoeducational intervention for caregivers of persons with dementia. Gerontologist 1999;39:299–309.
- Hepburn KW, Tornatore J, Center B, Ostwald SW: Dementia family caregiver training: affecting beliefs about caregiving and caregiver outcomes. J Am Geriatr Soc 2001;49:450–457.
- Roberts J, Browne G, Milne C, Spooner L, Gafni A, Drummond-Young M, Le Gris J, Watt S, Le Clair K, Beaumont L, Roberts J: Problem-solving counseling for caregivers of the cognitively impaired: effective for whom? Nurs Res 1999;48:162–172.
- Marriott A, Donaldson C, Tarrier N, Burns A: Effectiveness of cognitive-behavioural family intervention in reducing the burden of care in carers of patients with Alzheimer’s disease. Br J Psychiatry 2000;176:557–562.
- Steffen AM: Anger management for dementia caregivers: a preliminary study using video and telephone interventions. Behav Ther 2000;31:281–299.
- Castro CM, Wilcox S, O’Sullivan P, Baumann K, King AC: An exercise program for women who are caring for relatives with dementia. Psychosom Med 2002;64:458–468.
- King AC, Baumann K, O’Sullivan P, Wilcox S, Castro C: Effects of moderate-intensity exercise on physiological, behavioral, and emotional responses to family caregiving: a randomized controlled trial. J Gerontol A Biol Sci Med Sci 2002;57:M26–M36.
- Fung W-Y, Chien W-T: The effectiveness of a mutual support group for family caregivers of a relative with dementia. Arch Psychiatr Nurs 2002;16:134–144.
- Burgio L, Stevens A, Guy D, Roth DL, Haley WE: Impact of two psychosocial interventions on white and African American family caregivers of individuals with dementia. Gerontologist 2003;43:568–579.
- Burns R, Nichols LO, Martindale-Adams J, Graney MJ, Lummus A: Primary care interventions for dementia caregivers: 2-year outcomes from the REACH study. Gerontologist 2003;43:547–555.
- Eisdorfer C, Szaja SJ, Loewenstein DA, Rubert MP, Argüelles S, Mitrani BV, et al: The effect of a family therapy and technology-based intervention on caregiver depression. Gerontologist 2003;43:521–531.
- Gallagher-Thompson D, Coon DW, Solano N, Ambler C, Rabinowitz Y, Thompson LW: Change in indices of distress among Latino and Anglo female caregivers of elderly relatives with dementia: site-specific results from the REACH national collaborative study. Gerontologist 2003;43:580–591.
- Hébert R, Levesque L, Vezina J, Lavoie JP, Ducharme F, Gendron C, Preville M, Voyer L, Dubois MF: Efficacy of a psychoeducative group program for caregivers of demented persons living at home: a randomized controlled trial. J Gerontol B Psychol Sci Soc Sci 2003;58:S58–S67.
- Martin-Cook K, Remakel-Davis B, Svetlik D, Hynan LS, Weiner MF: Caregiver attribution and resentment in dementia care. Am J Alzheimers Dis Other Demen 2003;18:366–374.
- Akkerman RL, Ostwald SK: Reducing anxiety in Alzheimer’s disease family caregivers: the effectiveness of a nine-week cognitive-behavioral intervention. Am J Alzheimers Dis Other Demen 2004;19:117–123.
Davis LL, Burgio LD, Buckwalter KC, Weaver M: A comparison of in-home and telephone-based skill training interventions with caregivers of persons with dementia. J Ment Health Aging 2004;10:31–44.
- Beauchamp N, Irvine AB, Seeley J, Johnson B: Worksite-based internet multimedia program for family caregivers of persons with dementia. Gerontologist 2005;45:793–801.
Ducharme F, Lévesque L, Lachance. L, Giroux F, Legault A, Préville M: ‘Taking Care of Myself’: efficacy of an intervention programme for caregivers of a relative with dementia living in a long-term care setting. Int J Soc Res Pract 2005;4:23–47.
- Ducharme F, Lévesque L, Giroux F, Lachance L: Follow-up of an intervention program for caregivers of a relative with dementia living in a long-term care setting: are there any persistent and delayed effects? Aging Ment Health 2005;9:461–469.
- Hepburn KW, Lewis M, Narayan S, Center B, Tornatore J, Bremer KL, et al: Partners in caregiving: a psychoeducation program affecting dementia family caregivers’ distress and caregiving outlook. Clin Gerontol 2005;29:53–69.
- Perren S, Schmid R, Wettstein A: Caregivers’ adaptation to change: the impact of increasing impairment of persons suffering from dementia on their caregivers’ subjective well-being. Aging and Mental Health 2006;10:539–548.
- Gallagher-Thompson D, Gray HL, Tang PC, et al: Impact of in-home behavioral management versus telephone support to reduce depressive symptoms and perceived stress in Chinese caregivers: results of a pilot study. Am J Geriatr Psychiatry 2007;15:425–434.
- Hepburn K, Lewis M, Tornatore J, Sherman CW, Bremer KL: The Savvy Caregiver program: the demonstrated effectiveness of a transportable dementia caregiver psychoeducation program. J Gerontol Nurs 2007;33:30–36.
- Márquez-González M, Losada A, Izal M, Pérez-Rojo G, Montorio I: Modification of dysfunctional thoughts about caregiving in dementia family caregivers: description and outcomes of an intervention programme. Aging Ment Health 2007;11:616–625.
- Ulstein ID, Sandvik L, Wyller TB, Engedal K: A one-year randomized controlled psychosocial intervention study among family carers of dementia patients – effects on patients and carers. Dement Geriatr Cogn Disord 2007;24:469–475.
- Moniz-Cook E, Elston C, Gardiner E, et al: Can training community mental health nurses to support family carers reduce behavioural problems in dementia? An exploratory pragmatic randomised controlled trial. Int J Geriatr Psychiatry 2008;23:185–191.
- Goodman CC, Pynoos J: A model telephone information and support program for caregivers of Alzheimer’s patients. Gerontologist 1990;30:399–404.
- Brennan PF, Moore SM, Smyth KA: The effects of a special computer network on caregivers of persons with Alzheimer’s disease. Nurs Res 1995;44:166–172.
- Bass DM, McClendon MJ, Brennan PF, McCarthy C: The buffering effect of a computer support network on caregiver strain. J Aging Health 1998;10:20–43.
- Pillemer K, Suitor JJ: Peer support for Alzheimer’s caregivers: is it enough to make a difference? Res Aging 2002;24:171–192.
- Mahoney DF, Tarlow BJ, Jones RN: Effects of an automated telephone support system on caregiver burden and anxiety: findings from the REACH for TLC Intervention Study. Gerontologist 2003;43:556–567.
- Winter L, Gitlin LN: Evaluation of a telephone-based support group intervention for female caregivers of community-dwelling individuals with dementia. Am J Alzheimers Dis Other Demen 2006;21:391–397.
Charlesworth G, Shepstone L, Wilson E, Thalanany M, Mugford M, Poland F: Does befriending by trained lay workers improve psychological well-being and quality of life for carers of people with dementia, and at what cost? A randomised controlled trial. Health Technol Assess 2008;12:1–78.
- Seltzer MM, Litchfield LC, Kapust LR, Mayer JB: Professional and family collaboration in case management: a hospital-based replication of a community-based study. Soc Work Health Care 1992;17:1–22.
- Weinberber M, Gold DT, Divine GW, Cowper PA, Hodgson LG, Schreiner PJ, et al: Social service interventions for caregivers of patients with dementia: impact on health care utilization and expenditures. J Am Geriatr Soc 1993;41:153–156.
- Yordi C, Du Nah R, Bostrom A, Fox P, Wilkinson A, Newcomer R: Caregiver supports: outcomes from the Medicare Alzheimer’s Disease Demonstration. Health Care Financ Rev 1997;19:97–117.
- Miller R, Newcomer R, Fox P: Effects of the Medicare Alzheimer’s Disease Demonstration on nursing home entry. Health Serv Res 1999;34:691–714.
- Newcomer R, Yordi C, Du Nah R, Fox P, Wilkinson A: Effects of the Medicare Alzheimer’s Disease Demonstration on caregiver burden and depression. Health Serv Res 1999;34:669–689.
- Newcomer R, Miller R, Clay T, Fox P: Effects of the Medicare Alzheimer’s Disease Demonstration on Medicare expenditures. Health Care Financ Rev 1999;20:45–65.
- Bass DM, Clark PA, Looman WJ, McCarthy CA, Eckert S: The Cleveland Alzheimer’s managed care demonstration: outcomes after 12 months of implementation. Gerontologist 2003;43:73–85.
- Clark PA, Bass DM, Looman WJ, McCarthy CA, Eckert S: Outcomes for patients with dementia from the Cleveland Alzheimer’s Managed Care Demonstration. Aging Ment Health 2004;8:40–51.
- Wishart L, Macerollo J, Loney P, King A, Beaumont L, Browne G, Roberts J: ‘Special steps’: an effective visiting/walking program for persons with cognitive impairment. Can J Nurs Res 2000;31:57–71.
- Grant I, McKibbin CL, Taylor MJ, Mills P, Dimsdale J, Ziegler M, Patterson TL: In-home respite intervention reduces plasma epinephrine in stressed Alzheimer caregivers. Am J Geriatr Psychiatry 2003;11:62–72.
- Lawton MP, Brody EM, Saperstein AR: A controlled study of respite service for caregivers of Alzheimer’s patients. Gerontologist 1989;29:8–16.
- Mohide EA, Pringle DM, Streiner DL, Gilbert JR, Muir G, Tew M: A randomized trial of family caregiver support in the home management of dementia. J Am Geriatr Soc 1990;38:446–454.
- Drummond MF, Mohide EA, Tew M, Streiner DL, Pringle DM, Gilbert JR: Economic evaluation of a support program for caregivers of demented elderly. Int J Technol Assess Health Care 1991;7:209–219.
- Mittelman MS, Ferris SH, Steinberg G, Shulman E, Mackell JA, Ambinder A, Cohen J: An intervention that delays institutionalization of Alzheimer’s disease patients: treatment of spouse-caregivers. Gerontologist 1993;33:730–740.
- Mittelman MS, Ferris SH, Shulman E, Steinberg G, Ambinder A, Mackell JA, Cohen J: A comprehensive support program: effect on depression in spouse-caregivers of AD patients. Gerontologist 1995;35:792–802.
- Mittelman MS, Ferris SH, Shulman E, Steinberg G, Levin B: A family intervention to delay nursing home placement of patients with Alzheimer disease: a randomized controlled trial. JAMA 1996;276:1725–1731.
- Mittelman MS, Roth DL, Haley WE, Zarit SH: Effects of a caregiver intervention on negative caregiver appraisals of behavior problems in patients with Alzheimer’s disease: results of a randomized trial. J Gerontol B Psychol Sci Soc Sci 2004;59:P27–P34.
- Mittelman MS, Roth DL, Coon DW, Haley WE: Sustained benefit of supportive intervention for depressive symptoms in caregivers of patients with Alzheimer’s disease. Am J Psychiatry 2004;161:850–856.
- Drentea P, Clay OJ, Roth DL, Mittelman MS: Predictors of improvement in social support: five-year effects of a structured intervention for caregivers of spouses with Alzheimer’s disease. Soc Sci Med 2006;63:957–967.
- Mittelman MS, Haley WE, Clay OJ, Roth DL: Improving caregiver well-being delays nursing home placement of patients with Alzheimer disease. Neurology 2006;67:1592–1599.
- Mittelman MS, Roth DL, Clay OJ, Haley WE: Preserving health of Alzheimer caregivers: impact of a spouse caregiver intervention. Am J Geriatr Psychiatry 2007;15:780–789.
- Gaugler JE, Roth DL, Haley WE, Mittelman MS: Can counseling and support reduce burden and depressive symptoms in caregivers of people with Alzheimer’s disease during the transition to institutionalization? Results from the New York University Caregiver Intervention Study. J Am Geriatr Soc 2008;56:421–428.
- Belle SH, Burgio L, Burns R, et al: Enhancing the quality of life of dementia caregivers from different ethnic or racial groups. Ann Intern Med 2006;145:727–738.
- Nichols LO, Chang C, Lummus A, et al: The cost-effectiveness of a behavior intervention with caregivers of patients with Alzheimer’s disease. J Am Geriatr Soc 2008;56:413–420.
- Finkel S, Czaja SJ, Schulz R, Martinovich Z, Harris C, Pezzuto D: E-care: a telecommunications technology intervention for family caregivers of dementia patients. Am J Geriatr Psychiatry 2007;15:443–448.
- Buckwalter KC, Gerdner L, Kohout F, Hall GR, Kelly A, Richards B, Sime M: A nursing intervention to decrease depression in family caregivers of persons with dementia. Arch Psychiatr Nurs 1999;13:80–88.
- Gerdner LA, Buckwalter KC, Reed D: Impact of a psychoeducational intervention on caregiver response to behavioral problems. Nurs Res 2002;51:363–374.
- Stolley JM, Reed D, Buckwalter KC: Caregiving appraisal and interventions based on the progressively lowered stress threshold model. Am J Alzheimers Dis Other Demen 2002;17:110–120.
- Chang BL: Cognitive-behavioral intervention for homebound caregivers of persons with dementia. Nurs Res 1999;48:173–181.
- McCallion P, Toseland RW, Freeman K: An evaluation of a family visit education program. J Am Geriatr Soc 1999;47:203–214.
- Chu P, Edwards J, Levin J, Thompson J: The use of clinical case management for early stage Alzheimer’s patients and their families. Am J Alzheimers Dis Other Demen 2000;15:284–292.
- Gitlin LN, Corcoran M, Winter L, Boyce A, Hauck WW: A randomized, controlled trial of a home environmental intervention: effect on efficacy and upset in caregivers and on daily function of persons with dementia. Gerontologist 2001;41:4–14.
- Garand L, Buckwalter KC, Lubaroff D, Tripp-Reimer T, Frantz RA, Ansley TN: A pilot study of immune and mood outcomes of a community-based intervention for dementia caregivers: the PLST intervention. Arch Psychiatr Nurs 2002;16:156–167.
- Gitlin LN, Winter L, Corcoran M, Dennis MP, Schinfeld S, Hauck WW: Effects of the home environmental skill-building program on the caregiver-care recipient dyad: 6-month outcomes from the Philadelphia REACH Initiative. Gerontologist 2003;43:532–546.
- Gitlin LN, Hauck WW, Dennis MP, Winter L: Maintenance of effects of the home environmental skill-building program for family caregivers and individuals with Alzheimer’s disease and related disorders. J Gerontol A Biol Sci Med Sci 2005;60:368–374.
- HilgemanMM, Allen RS, De Coster J, Burgio LD: Positive aspects of caregiving as a moderator of treatment outcome over 12 months. Psychol Aging 2007;22:361–371.
- Nobili A, Riva E, Tettamanti M, Lucca U, Liscio M, Petrucci B, Porro GS: The effect of a structured intervention on caregivers of patients with dementia and problem behaviors: a randomized controlled pilot study. Alzheimer Dis Assoc Disord 2004;18:75–82.
- Bottino CM, Carvalho IA, Alvarez AM, Avila R, Zukauskas PR, Bustamante SE, Andrade FC, Hototian SR, Saffi F, Camargo CH: Cognitive rehabilitation combined with drug treatment in Alzheimer’s disease patients: a pilot study. Clin Rehabil 2005;19:861–869.
- Martin-Cook K, Davis BA, Hynan LS, Weiner MF: A randomized, controlled study of an Alzheimer’s caregiver skills training program. Am J Alzheimers Dis Other Demen 2005;20:204–210.
- Graff MJ, Vernooij-Dassen MJ, Thijssen M, Dekker J, Hoefnagels WH, Rikkert MG: Community based occupational therapy for patients with dementia and their caregivers: randomised controlled trial. BMJ 2006;333:1196.
- Graff MJ, Vernooij-Dassen MJ, Thijssen M, Dekker J, Hoefnagels WH, Olderikkert MG: Effects of community occupational therapy on quality of life, mood, and health status in dementia patients and their caregivers: a randomized controlled trial. J Gerontol A Biol Sci Med Sci 2007;62:1002–1009.
- Graff MJL, Adang EMM, Vernooij-Dassen MJM, Dekker J, Jonsson L, Thijssen M, Hoefnagels WHL, Olde Rikkert MGM: Community occupational therapy for older patients with dementia and their caregivers: cost-effectiveness study. BMJ 2008;336:134–138.
- Logsdon RG, McCurry SM, Teri L: Time-limited support groups for individuals with early stage dementia and their care partners: preliminary outcomes from a controlled clinical trial. Clin Gerontol 2006;30:5–19.
- Stocking CB, Hougham GW, Danner DD, Patterson MB, Whitehouse PJ, Sachs GA: Empirical assessment of a research advance directive for persons with dementia and their proxies. J Am Geriatr Soc 2007;55:1609–1612.
- Chien W, Lee Y: A disease management program for families of persons in Hong Kong with dementia. Psychiatr Serv 2008;59:433–436.
- Gitlin LN, Winter L, Burke J, Chernett N, Dennis MP, Hauck WW: Tailored activities to manage neuropsychiatric behaviors in persons with dementia and reduce caregiver burden: a randomized pilot study. Am J Geriatr Psychiatry 2008;16:229–239.
- McCallion P, Toseland RW, Lacey D, Banks S: Educating nursing assistants to communicate more effectively with nursing home residents with dementia. Gerontologist 1999;39:546–558.
- Finnema E, de Lange J, Dröes RM, Ribbe M, van Tilburg W: The quality of nursing home care: do the opinions of family members change after implementation of emotion-oriented care? J Adv Nurs 2001;35:728–740.
- Finnema E, Dröes RM, Ettema T, Ooms M, Adèr H, Ribbe M, van Tilburg W: The effect of integrated emotion-oriented care versus usual care on elderly persons with dementia in the nursing home and on nursing assistants: a randomized clinical trial. Int J Geriatr Psychiatry 2005;20:330–343.
- Richardson B, Kitchen G, Livingston G: The effect of education on knowledge and management of elder abuse: a randomized controlled trial. Age Aging 2002;31:335–341.
- Schrijnemaekers V, van Rossum E, Candel M, Frederiks C, Derix M, Sielhorst H, van den Brandt P: Effects of emotion-oriented care on elderly people with cognitive impairment and behavioral problems. Int J Geriatr Psychiatry 2002;17:926–937.
- Schrijnemaekers VJ, Van Rossum E, Candel MJ, Frederiks CM, Derix MM, Sielhorst H, van den Brandt PA: Effects of emotion-oriented care on work-related outcomes of professional caregivers in homes for elderly persons. J Gerontol B Psychol Sci Soc Sci 2003;58:S50–S57.
- Kovach CR, Taneli Y, Dohearty P, Schlidt AM, Cashin S, Silva-Smith AL: Effect of the BACE intervention on agitation of people with dementia. Gerontologist 2004;44:797–806.
- Teri L, Huda P, Gibbons L, Young H, van Leynseele J: STAR: a dementia-specific training program for staff in assisted living residences. Gerontologist 2005;45:686–693.
- Testad I, Aasland AM, Aarsland D: The effect of staff training on the use of restraint in dementia: a single-blind randomised controlled trial. Int J Geriatr Psychiatry 2005;20:587–590.
- Hoeffer B, Talerico KA, Rasin J, Mitchell CM, Stewart BJ, McKenzie D, et al: Assisting cognitively impaired nursing home residents with bathing: effects of two bathing interventions on caregiving. Gerontologist 2006;46:524–532.
- Huizing AR, Hamers JPH, Gulpers MJM, Berger MPF: Short-term effects of an educational intervention on physical restraint use: a cluster randomized trial. BMC Geriatrics 2006;6:17.
- Robison J, Curry L, Gruman C, Porter M, Henderson CR, Pillemer K: Partners in caregiving in a special care environment: cooperative communication between staff and families on dementia units. Gerontologist 2007;47:504–515.
- Wells Y, Jorm AF: Evaluation of a special nursing home unit for dementia sufferers: a randomized controlled comparison with community care. Aust NZ J Psychiatry 1987;21:524–531.
- Rosen WG, Mohs RC, Davis KL: A new rating scale for Alzheimer’s disease. Am J Psychiatry 1984;141:1356–1364.
American Psychiatric Association. Practice guideline for the treatment of patients with Alzheimer’s disease and other dementias of late life. Am J Psychiatry 1997;154(suppl): 1–39.
- Doody RS, Stevens JC, Beck C, Dubinsky RM, Kaye JA, Gwyther L, et al: Practice parameter: management of dementia (an evidence-based review). Report of the Quality Standards Subcommittee of the American Academy of Neurology. Neurology 2001;56:1154–1166.
- Brodaty H, Green A, Koschera A: Meta-analysis of psychosocial interventions for caregivers of people with dementia. J Am Geriatr Soc 2003;51:657–664.
- Livingston G, Johnston K, Katona C, Paton J, Lyketsos CG, Old Age Task Force of the World Federation of Biological Psychiatry: Systematic review of psychological approaches to the management of neuropsychiatric symptoms of dementia. Am J Psychiatry 2005;162:1996–2021.
- Luijpen MW, Scherder EJA, Van Someren EJW, Swaab DF, Sergeant JA: Non-pharmacological interventions in cognitively impaired and demented patients: a comparison with cholinesterase inhibitors. Rev Neurosci 2003;14:343–368.
- Bourgeois MS, Burgio LD, Schulz R, Beach S, Palmer B: Modifying repetitive verbalizations of community-dwelling patients with AD. Gerontologist 1997;37:30–39.
- Bird M: Behavioural difficulties and cued recall of adaptative behaviour in dementia: experimental and clinical evidence. Neuropsychol Rehab 2001;11:357–375.
- Bäckman L: Memory training and memory improvement in Alzheimer’s disease: rules and exceptions. Acta Neurol Scand Suppl 1992;139:84–89.
- McEvoy CL, Patterson RL: Behavioral treatment of deficit skills in dementia patients. Gerontologist 1986;26:475–478.
- Woods B, Thorgrimsen L, Spector A, Royan L, Orrell M: Improved quality of life and cognitive stimulation therapy in dementia. Aging Mental Health 2006;10:219–226.
Article / Publication Details
Copyright / Drug Dosage / DisclaimerCopyright: All rights reserved. No part of this publication may be translated into other languages, reproduced or utilized in any form or by any means, electronic or mechanical, including photocopying, recording, microcopying, or by any information storage and retrieval system, without permission in writing from the publisher.
Drug Dosage: The authors and the publisher have exerted every effort to ensure that drug selection and dosage set forth in this text are in accord with current recommendations and practice at the time of publication. However, in view of ongoing research, changes in government regulations, and the constant flow of information relating to drug therapy and drug reactions, the reader is urged to check the package insert for each drug for any changes in indications and dosage and for added warnings and precautions. This is particularly important when the recommended agent is a new and/or infrequently employed drug.
Disclaimer: The statements, opinions and data contained in this publication are solely those of the individual authors and contributors and not of the publishers and the editor(s). The appearance of advertisements or/and product references in the publication is not a warranty, endorsement, or approval of the products or services advertised or of their effectiveness, quality or safety. The publisher and the editor(s) disclaim responsibility for any injury to persons or property resulting from any ideas, methods, instructions or products referred to in the content or advertisements.