Fine Needle Aspiration
Cytologic Characteristics and β-Catenin Immunocytochemistry on Smear Slide of Cribriform-Morular Variant of Papillary Thyroid CarcinomaKoo J.S. · Jung W. · Hong S.W.
Department of Pathology, Yonsei University Health System, Yonsei University College of Medicine, Seoul, South Korea
Do you have an account?
- Rent for 48h to view
- Buy Cloud Access for unlimited viewing via different devices
- Synchronizing in the ReadCube Cloud
- Printing and saving restrictions apply
Rental: USD 8.50
Cloud: USD 20.00
Article / Publication Details
Objective: The purpose of this study is to analyze the characteristic cytologic features of the cribriform-morular variant of papillary thyroid carcinoma (CVPTC) and to find out the possibility of a preoperative diagnosis of CVPTC in fine needle aspiration (FNA). Study Design: A retrospective review of cytologic features of 5 patients who were diagnosed with CVPTC after thyroidectomy and underwent preoperative FNA was performed. In addition, β-catenin immunocytochemistry on a smear slide was applied. Results: All cases showed a high cellularity smear, cribriform architecture, ovoid/columnar cells, obvious nucleoli, and nuclear groove. Epithelial morules were observed in 4 (80%) cases. All cases demonstrated a nuclear and cytoplasmic expression in β-catenin immunocytochemistry applied to a smear slide. Conclusion: Preoperative diagnosis of CVPTC can be made by cytologic features of cribriform architecture, epithelial morule, and columnar cells in FNA and β-catenin immunocytochemistry on a smear slide showing a nuclear and cytoplasm expression.
© 2010 S. Karger AG, Basel
- Alsanea O, Clark OH: Familial thyroid cancer. Curr Opin Oncol 2001;13:44–51.
- Harach HR, Williams GT, Williams ED: Familial adenomatous polyposis associated thyroid carcinoma: a distinct type of follicular cell neoplasm. Histopathology 1994;25:549–561.
- Kurihara K, Shimizu S, Chong J, Hishima T, Funata N, Kashiwagi H, Nagai H, Miyaki M, Fukayama M: Nuclear localization of immunoreactive beta-catenin is specific to familial adenomatous polyposis in papillary thyroid carcinoma. Jpn J Cancer Res 2000;91:1100–1102.
- Cameselle-Teijeiro J, Ruiz-Ponte C, Loidi L, Suarez-Penaranda J, Baltar J, Sobrinho-Simoes M: Somatic but not germline mutation of the APC gene in a case of cribriform-morular variant of papillary thyroid carcinoma. Am J Clin Pathol 2001;115:486–493.
- Cetta F, Montalto G, Gori M, Curia MC, Cama A, Olschwang S: Germline mutations of the APC gene in patients with familial adenomatous polyposis-associated thyroid carcinoma: results from a European cooperative study. J Clin Endocrinol Metab 2000;85:286–292.
- Iwama T, Konishi M, Iijima T, Yoshinaga K, Tominaga T, Koike M, Miyaki M: Somatic mutation of the APC gene in thyroid carcinoma associated with familial adenomatous polyposis. Jpn J Cancer Res 1999;90:372–376.
- Jung CK, Choi YJ, Lee KY, Bae JS, Kim HJ, Yoon SK, Son YI, Chung JH, Oh YL: The cytological, clinical, and pathological features of the cribriform-morular variant of papillary thyroid carcinoma and mutation analysis of CTNNB1 and BRAF genes. Thyroid 2009;19:905–913.
- Lee S, Hong SW, Shin SJ, Kim YM, Rhee Y, Jeon BI, Moon WC, Oh MR, Lim SK: Papillary thyroid carcinoma associated with familial adenomatous polyposis: molecular analysis of pathogenesis in a family and review of the literature. Endocr J 2004;51:317–323.
- Uchino S, Noguchi S, Yamashita H, Watanabe S, Ogawa T, Tsuno A, Murakami A, Miyauchi A: Mutational analysis of the APC gene in cribriform-morula variant of papillary thyroid carcinoma. World J Surg 2006;30:775–779.
- Chong J, Koshiishi N, Kurihara K, Kubono S, Kawai T, Fukayama M: Aspiration and imprint cytopathology of thyroid carcinoma associated with familial adenomatous polyposis. Diagn Cytopathol 2000;23:101–105.
- Chuah KL, Hwang JS, Ng SB, Tan PH, Poh WT, Au VS: Cytologic features of cribriform-morular variant of papillary carcinoma of the thyroid: a case report. Acta Cytol 2005;49:75–80.
- Kuma S, Hirokawa M, Xu B, Miyauchi A, Kukudo K, Sano T: Cribriform-morular variant of papillary thyroid carcinoma: report of a case showing morules with peculiar nuclear clearing. Acta Cytol 2004;48:431–436.
- Jayaram G: Cytology of columnar-cell variant of papillary thyroid carcinoma. Diagn Cytopathol 2000;22:227–229.
- Ylagan LR, Dehner LP, Huettner PC, Lu D: Columnar cell variant of papillary thyroid carcinoma: report of a case with cytologic findings. Acta Cytol 2004;48:73–77.
Article / Publication Details
Copyright / Drug Dosage / DisclaimerCopyright: All rights reserved. No part of this publication may be translated into other languages, reproduced or utilized in any form or by any means, electronic or mechanical, including photocopying, recording, microcopying, or by any information storage and retrieval system, without permission in writing from the publisher.
Drug Dosage: The authors and the publisher have exerted every effort to ensure that drug selection and dosage set forth in this text are in accord with current recommendations and practice at the time of publication. However, in view of ongoing research, changes in government regulations, and the constant flow of information relating to drug therapy and drug reactions, the reader is urged to check the package insert for each drug for any changes in indications and dosage and for added warnings and precautions. This is particularly important when the recommended agent is a new and/or infrequently employed drug.
Disclaimer: The statements, opinions and data contained in this publication are solely those of the individual authors and contributors and not of the publishers and the editor(s). The appearance of advertisements or/and product references in the publication is not a warranty, endorsement, or approval of the products or services advertised or of their effectiveness, quality or safety. The publisher and the editor(s) disclaim responsibility for any injury to persons or property resulting from any ideas, methods, instructions or products referred to in the content or advertisements.