A Phase II Multi-Center Study of Triple Therapy with Paclitaxel, S-1 and Cisplatin in Patients with Advanced Gastric CancerIwase H.a · Shimada M.a · Tsuzuki T.a · Ina K.b · Sugihara M.c · Haruta J.d · Shinoda M.e · Kumada T.f · Goto H.g
aNagoya Medical Centre, bNagoya Memorial Hospital, cMeitetsu Hospital, dJapan Red Cross Nagoya First Hospital, Nagoya, eToyota Memorial Hospital, Toyota, fOgaki Municipal Hospital, Ogaki, and gNagoya University School of Medicine, Nagoya, Japan
Do you have an account?
- Rent for 48h to view
- Buy Cloud Access for unlimited viewing via different devices
- Synchronizing in the ReadCube Cloud
- Printing and saving restrictions apply
Rental: USD 8.50
Cloud: USD 20.00
Article / Publication Details
Objectives: To carry out a phase II multi-center study on the efficacy and safety of triple combination therapy with paclitaxel, S-1, and cisplatin in patients with unresectable/metastatic gastric cancer. Methods: A total of 63 patients from 8 institutions were included in this study. Paclitaxel (160 mg/m2) was administered by infusion for 3 h on the first day. S-1 (70 mg/m2/day) was administered orally for 14 consecutive days from the first day. Cisplatin (60 mg/m2) was administered intravenously over 24 h on day 14 of every 28-day cycle. Results: All 63 patients were assessed for clinical efficacy and safety. A total of 259 cycles of treatment were administered (median 4, range 1–10). Grade 3–4 toxicities included neutropenia in 30.2%, thrombocytopenia in 12.7%, and anemia in 11.1%. There was no grade 3–4 non-hematological toxicity or treatment-related death. Complete response was observed in 6 patients and partial response in 34 patients. The overall response rate was 63.5%. The median progression-free survival and response duration were 8.0 and 8.8 months, respectively, and median survival time was 15 months. Conclusions: Triple combination therapy with paclitaxel, S-1, and cisplatin showed promising safety and efficacy profiles with the potential to become a standard regimen for unresectable/metastatic gastric cancer.
© 2011 S. Karger AG, Basel
- Parkin DM, Bray F, Ferlay J, Pisani P: Global cancer statistics. 2002. CA Cancer J Clin 2005;55:74–108.
- Glimelius B, Ekstrom K, Hoffman K, Graf W, Sjoden PO, Haglund U, Svensson C, Enander LK, Linne T, Sellstrom H, Heuman R: Randomized comparison between chemotherapy plus best supportive care with best supportive care in advanced gastric cancer. Ann Oncol 1997;8:163–168.
- Webb A, Cunningham D, Scarffe JH, Harper P, Norman A, Joffe JK, Hughes M, Mansi J, Findlay M, Hill A, Oates J, Nicolson M, Hickish T, O’Brien M, Iveson T, Watson M, Underhill C, Wardley A, Meehan M: Randomized trial comparing epirubicin, cisplatin, and fluorouracil versus fluorouracil, doxorubicin, and methotrevate in advanced esophagogastric cancer. J Clin Oncol 1997;15:261–267.
- Wills J: The treatment of advanced gastric cancer. Semin Oncol 1996;23:397–406.
- Kim NK, Parrk YS, Heo DS, Suh C, Kim SY, Park KC, Kang YK, Shin DB, Kim HT, Kim HJ, Kang WK, Suh CI, Bang YJ: A phase III randomized study of 5-fluorouracil and cisplatin versus 5-fluorouracil, doxorubicin, and mitomycin C versus 5-fluorouracil alone in the treatment of advanced gastric cancer. Cancer 1993;71:3813–3818.
- Findly M, Cunningham D, Norman A, Mansi J, Nicooson M, Hickish T, Nicolson V, Nash A, Sacks N, Ford H, Carter R, Hill A: A phase II study in advanced gastro-esophageal cancer using epirubicin and cisplatin in combination with continuous infusion 5-fluorouracil (ECF). Ann Oncol 1994;5:609–616.
- Wagner AD, Grothe W, Haerting J, Kleber G, Grothey A, Fleig WE: Chemotherapy in advanced gastric cancer: a systematic review and meta-analysis based on aggregate data. J Clin Oncol 2006;24:2903–2009.
- Shirasaka T, Shimamoto Y, Ohshino H, Yamaguchi M, Kato T, Yonekura K, Fukushima M: Development of a novel form of an oral 5-fluorouracil delivative (S1) directed to the potentiation of the tumor selective cytotoxicity of 5-fluorouracil by two biochemical modulation. Anticancer Drugs 1996;7:548–557.
- Koizumi W, Kurihara M, Nakano S, Hasegawa K: Phase II study of S1, a novel oral derivative of 5-fluorouracil, in advanced gastric cancer. Oncology 2000;58:191–197.
- Narahara H, Fujitani K, Takiuchi H, Sugimoto N, Inoue K, Uedo N, Tsukuma H, Tsujitani T, Furukawa H, Taguchi T: Phase II study of a combination of S-1 and paclitaxel in patients with unresectable or metastatic gastric cancer. Oncology 2008;74:37–41.
- Yoshida K, Ninomiya M, Takakura N, Hirabayashi N, Takiyama W, Sato Y, Toda S, Terashima M, Gotoh M, Sakamoto J, Nishiyama M: Phase II study of docetaxel and S-1 combination therapy for advanced or recurrent gastric cancer. Clin Cancer Res 2006;12:3042–3047.
- Uedo N, Narahara H, Ishihara R, Takiuchi H, Goto M, Fujitani K, Hirao M, Tsujinaka T, Imano M, Furukawa H, Tsukuma H, Taguchi T, Osaka Gastrointestinal Cancer Chemotherapy Study Group (OGSG): Phase II study of combination of irinotecan and S-1 in patients with advanced gastric cancer (OGSG002). Oncology 2007;73:65–71.
- Iwase H, Shimada M, Tsuzuki T, Horiuchi Y, Kumada S, Haruta J, Yamaguchi T, Ugihara M, Ina K, Kusugami K, Goto H: Phase II multicentric trial of S-1 combined 24 h-infusion of cisplatin in patients with advanced gastric cancer. Anticancer Res 2005;25:1297–1302.
- Koizumi W, Narahara H, Hara T, Takagane A, Akiya T, Takagi M, Miyashita K, Nishizaki T, Kibayashi O, Takiyama W, Toh Y, Nagaie T, Takagi S, Yamamura Y, Yanaoka K, Orita H, Takeuchi M: S-1 plus cisplatin versus S-1 alone to first-line treatment of advanced gastric cancer (SPIRITS trial): a phase III trial. Lancet Oncol 2008;9:215–221.
- Iwase H, Shimada M, Tsuzuki T, Okeya M, Kobayashi K, Hibio Y, Watanabe H: Phase I study of S-1 administration and a 24 hour-infusion of cisplatin plus paclitaxel in patients with advanced gastric cancer. Anticancer Res 2006;26:1605–1610.
- Therasse P, Arbuck SG, Eisenhauer EA, Wanders J, Kaplan RS, Rubinstein L, Verweij J, Van Glabbeke M, van Oosteroma AT, Christian MC, Gwyther SG: New guidelines to evaluate the response to treatment in solid tumors. European Organization for Research and Treatment of Cancer, National Cancer Institute of Canada. J Natl Cancer Inst 2000;92:205–216.
Japanese Research Society for Gastric Cancer: Response Assessment of Chemotherapy for Gastric Carcinoma. Japanese Classification of Gastric Carcinoma. 1st Engl ed. Tokyo, Kanehara, 1995, pp 90–104.
- Yamao T, Schimada Y, Shirao K, Ohtsu A, Ikeda N, Hyodo I, Saito H, Iwase H, Tsuji Y, Tamura T, Yamamoto S, Yoshida S: Phase II study of sequential methotrexate and 5-fluorouracil chemotherapy against peritoneally disseminated gastric cancer with malignant ascots: a report from the gastrointestinal oncology study group of the Japan Clinical Oncology Group, JCOG 9603 Trial. Jpn J Clin Oncol 2004;34:316–322.
- Trotti A, Byhardt R, Stetz J, Gwede C, Corn B, Fu K, Gunderson L, McCormick B, Morrisintegral M, Rich T, Shipley W, Curran W: Common toxicity criteria: version 2.0. An improved reference for grading the acute effects of cancer treatment: impact on radiotherapy. Int J Radiat Oncol Biol Phys 2000;47:13–47.
- Ohtsu A, Shimada Y, Shirao K, Boku N, Hydo I, Saito H, Yamamichi N, Miyata Y, Ikeda N, Yamamoto S, Fukuda H, Yashida S: Randomized phase III trial of fluorouracil alone versus fluorouracil plus cisplatin versus uracil and tegafur plus mitomycin in patients with unresectable, advanced gastric cancer: The Japan Clinical Oncology Group Study (JCOG9205). J Clin Oncol 2003;21:54–59.
- Boku N, Yamamoto S, Fukuda H, Shirao K, Doi T, Sawaki A, Koizumi W, Saito H, Yamaguchi K, Takiuchi H, Nasu J, Ohtsu A: Fluorouracil versus combination of irinotecan plus cisplatin versus S-1 in metastatic gastric cancer: a randomized phase 3 study. Lancet Oncol 2009;10:1063–1069.
- Ajani JA, Rodriguez W, Bodoky G, Moiseyenko V, Lichinitser M, Gorbunonva V, Vynnychenko I, Garin A, Lang I, Falcon S: Multicenter phase III comparison of cisplatin/S-1 with cisplatin/infusion fluorouracil in advanced gastric or gastroesophageal adenocarcinoma study: The FLAGS trial. J Clin Oncol 2010;28:1547–1553.
- Van Cutsen E, Moiseyenko VM, Tjulandin S, Majlis A, Constenla M, Boni C, Rodrigues A, Fodor M, Chao Y, Voznyi E, Risse ML, Ajani JA: Phase III study of docetaxel and cisplatin plus fluorouracil compared with cisplatin and fluorouracil as the first-line therapy for advanced gastric cancer: a report of the V325 Study Group. J Clin Oncol 2006;24:4991–4997.
- Rosati G, Ferrara D, Manzione L: New perspectives in the treatment of advanced or metastatic gastric cancer. World J Gastroenterol 2009;14:2689–2692.
- Yamada Y, Shirao K, Ohtsu A, Boku N, Hyodo I, Saitoh H, Taguchi T: Phase II trial of paclitaxel by three-hour infusion for advanced gastric cancer with short premedication for prophylaxis against paclitaxel-associated hypersensitive reactions. Ann Oncol 2001;12:1133–1137.
- Yamaguchi K, Tada M, Horikoshi N. Otani T, Takiuchi H, Saitoh S, Kanamaru R, Kasai Y, Koizumi W, Sakata Y, Taguchi T: Phase II study of paclitaxel with a 3-h infusion in patients with advanced gastric cancer. Gastric Cancer 2002;5:90–95.
- Sakamoto J: A new paradigm of chemotherapy for gastric cancer: speeding up, and more clinical trials to catch up. Gastric Cancer 2002;5:55–57.
- Murad A, Petroianu A, Guimaraes RC, Aragao BC, Cagral LOM, Scalabrini-Neto AO: Phase II trial of the combination of paclitaxel and 5-fluorouracil in the treatment of advanced gastric cancer. Am J Clin Oncol 1999;22:580–586.
- Nukatsuka M, Fujioka A, Nakagawa F, Oshima H, Kitazato K, Uchida J, Sugimoto Y, Nagayama S, Fukushima M: Antimetastatic and anticancer activity of S-1, a new oral dihydropyrimidine-dehydrogenase-inhibiting fluoropyrimidine, alone and in combination with paclitaxel in an orthotopically implanted human breast cancer model. Int J Oncol 2004;25:1531–1536.
- Vanhoefer U, Harstrick A, Wike H, Schleucher N, Walles H, Schröder J, Seeber S: Schedule dependent antagonism of paclitaxel and cisplatin in human gastric cancer ovarian carcinoma cell lines in vitro. Eur J Cancer 1995;31A:92–97.
- Kim YH, Shin SW, Kim BS, Kim JH, Kim JG, Mok YJ, Kim CS, Rhyu HS, Hyun JH, Kim JS: Paclitaxel, 5-fluorouracil and cisplatin combination chemotherapy for the treatment of advanced gastric carcinoma. Cancer 1999;85:295–301.
- De Jongh FE, de Wit R, Verweij J, Sparreboom A, van den Bent MJ, Stoter G, van der Burg MEL: Dose-dense cisplatin/paclitaxel. A well tolerated and highly effective chemotherapeutic regimen in patients with advanced ovarian cancer. Eur J Cancer 2002;38:2005–2013.
- Polee MB, Verweij J, Siersema PD, Tilanus HW, Splinter TAW, Stoter G, Van der Gaast A: Phase I study of a weekly schedule of a fixed dose of cisplatin and escalating doses of paclitaxel in patients with advanced oesophageal cancer. Eur J Cancer 2002;38:1495–1500.
- Jacobs C, Bertino JR, Goffinet DR, Fee WE, Goode RL: 24-hour infusion of cis-platinum in head and neck cancers. Cancer 1978;42:2135–2140.
Article / Publication Details
Copyright / Drug Dosage / DisclaimerCopyright: All rights reserved. No part of this publication may be translated into other languages, reproduced or utilized in any form or by any means, electronic or mechanical, including photocopying, recording, microcopying, or by any information storage and retrieval system, without permission in writing from the publisher.
Drug Dosage: The authors and the publisher have exerted every effort to ensure that drug selection and dosage set forth in this text are in accord with current recommendations and practice at the time of publication. However, in view of ongoing research, changes in government regulations, and the constant flow of information relating to drug therapy and drug reactions, the reader is urged to check the package insert for each drug for any changes in indications and dosage and for added warnings and precautions. This is particularly important when the recommended agent is a new and/or infrequently employed drug.
Disclaimer: The statements, opinions and data contained in this publication are solely those of the individual authors and contributors and not of the publishers and the editor(s). The appearance of advertisements or/and product references in the publication is not a warranty, endorsement, or approval of the products or services advertised or of their effectiveness, quality or safety. The publisher and the editor(s) disclaim responsibility for any injury to persons or property resulting from any ideas, methods, instructions or products referred to in the content or advertisements.