Effectiveness of Therapeutic Communities: A Systematic ReviewMalivert M.a, b · Fatséas M.a, b · Denis C.a, b · Langlois E.c · Auriacombe M.a, b
aAddiction Psychiatry, Laboratoire de psychiatrie et CNRS-USR-3413-Sanpsy, Université Bordeaux Segalen, bDépartement d’Addictologie, CH Charles Perrens et CHU de Bordeaux, and cCentre Émile Durkheim – Science politique et sociologie comparatives (UMR 5116), Université Bordeaux Segalen, Bordeaux, France
Do you have an account?
- Rent for 48h to view
- Buy Cloud Access for unlimited viewing via different devices
- Synchronizing in the ReadCube Cloud
- Printing and saving restrictions apply
Rental: USD 8.50
Cloud: USD 20.00
Article / Publication Details
Background: Therapeutic communities (TCs) are drug-free residential settings, focused on psychosocial rehabilitation. While TCs are considered an effective method, the bulk of the research evidence is from poorly controlled studies. The goal of this study was to evaluate TC effectiveness in terms of abstinence and to determine if there were predictive factors of abstinence. Methods: The search used Medline up to January 30, 2011 and was based on a systematic review method. Studies on retention in treatment and/or substance use were considered. Results: Of the 321 studies retrieved from Medline, 12 met selection criteria including overall 3,271 participants from 61 TCs. On average, subjects stayed in TC a third of the planned time. The completion rate ranged from 9 to 56%. All studies showed that substance use decreased during TC, but relapse was frequent after TC. Treatment completion was the most predictive factor of abstinence at follow-up. Surprisingly, psychiatric comorbidities did not appear associated with relapse or with dropout. Conclusions: There was a drop in consumption after TC, but long-lasting benefits were uncertain. Further studies are needed in order to compare the efficacy of TC programs and other types of treatment settings for substance-related disorders.
© 2011 S. Karger AG, Basel
- Bourgeois M, Delile JM, Rager P, Peyre F: Therapeutic communities for drug addicts. Assessment and evaluation of care. Ann Med Psychol (Paris) 1987;145:699–704.
Carreau-Rizzeto M: Comorbidité et communauté thérapeutique. Ann Med Psychol (Paris) 2003;161:290–295.
Lert F, Fombonne E: La toxicomanie: Vers une évaluation de ses traitements. Paris, La documentation française, 1989.
- Broekaert E: What future for the therapeutic community in the field of addiction? A view from Europe. Addiction 2006;101:1677–1678.
- De Leon G: Alcohol use among drug abusers: treatment outcome in a therapeutic community. Alcohol Clin Exp Res 1987;11:430–436.
- De Leon G, Staines GL, Perlis TE, Sacks S, McKendrick K, Hilton R, Brady R: Therapeutic community methods in methadone maintenance (passages): an open clinical trial. Drug Alcohol Depend 1995;37:45–57.
- Etheridge RM, Craddock SG, Dunteman GH, Hubbard RL: Treatment services in two national studies of community-based drug abuse treatment programs. J Subst Abuse 1995;7:9–26.
- Fernandez-Hermida JR, Secades-Villa R, Fernandez-Ludena JJ, Marina-Gonzalez PA: Effectiveness of a therapeutic community treatment in Spain: a long-term follow-up study. Eur Addict Res 2002;8:22–29.
- Levin FR, Evans SM, Vosburg SK, Horton T, Brooks D, Ng J: Impact of attention-deficit hyperactivity disorder and other psychopathology on treatment retention among cocaine abusers in a therapeutic community. Addict Behav 2004;29:1875–1882.
- Moos RH, Finney JW, Moos BS: Inpatient substance abuse care and the outcome of subsequent community residential and outpatient care. Addiction 2000;95:833–846.
- Moos RH, Moos BS, Andrassy JM: Outcomes of four treatment approaches in community residential programs for patients with substance use disorders. Psychiatr Serv 1999;50:1577–1583.
- Nemes S, Wish ED, Messina N: Comparing the impact of standard and abbreviated treatment in a therapeutic community. Findings from the District of Columbia treatment initiative experiment. J Subst Abuse Treat 1999;17:339–347.
- Ravndal E: Research in the concept-based therapeutic community – its importance to European treatment research in the drug field. Int J Soc Welfare 2003;12:229–238.
Smith LA, Gates S, Foxcroft D: Therapeutic communities for substance related disorder. Cochrane Database Syst Rev 2006; CD005338.
- Orlando M, Wenzel SL, Ebener P, Edwards MC, Mandell W, Becker K: The dimensions of change in therapeutic community treatment instrument. Psychol Assess 2006;18:118–122.
- Egelko S, Galanter M: Impact of social anxiety in a ‘therapeutic community’ – oriented cocaine treatment clinic. Am J Addict 1998;7:136–141.
- Chan KS, Wenzel S, Orlando M, Montagnet C, Mandell W, Becker K, Ebener P: How important are client characteristics to understanding treatment process in the therapeutic community? Am J Drug Alcohol Abuse 2004;30:871–891.
- Dekel R, Benbenishty R, Amram Y: Therapeutic communities for drug addicts: prediction of long-term outcomes. Addict Behav 2004;29:1833–1837.
- Toumbourou JW, Hamilton M, Fallon B: Treatment level progress and time spent in treatment in the prediction of outcomes following drug-free therapeutic community treatment. Addiction 1998;93:1051–1064.
Chalmers I, Altman D (eds): Systematic Reviews. London, BMJ Publishing Group, 1995.
Denis C, Menguy V, Notz N, Auriacombe M: Rôle de l’expertise scientifique sur les drogues et les dépendances: L’exemple de la collaboration Cochrane. Rev Toxibase 2004;11:1–10.
- Fernandez-Montalvo J, Lopez-Goni JJ, Illescas C, Landa N, Lorea I: Evaluation of a therapeutic community treatment program: a long-term follow-up study in Spain. Subst Use Misuse 2008;43:1362–1377.
- Greenwood GL, Woods WJ, Guydish J, Bein E: Relapse outcomes in a randomized trial of residential and day drug abuse treatment. J Subst Abuse Treat 2001;20:15–23.
- Guydish J, Sorensen JL, Chan M, Werdegar D, Bostrom A, Acampora A: A randomized trial comparing day and residential drug abuse treatment: 18-month outcomes. J Consult Clin Psychol 1999;67:428–434.
- Johnson K, Pan Z, Young L, Vanderhoff J, Shamblen S, Browne T, Linfield K, Suresh G: Therapeutic community drug treatment success in Peru: a follow-up outcome study. Subst Abuse Treat Prev Policy 2008;3:26.
- Liberty HJ, Johnson BD, Jainchill N, Ryder J, Messina M, Reynolds S, Hossain M: Dynamic recovery: Comparative study of therapeutic communities in homeless shelters for men. J Subst Abuse Treat 1998;15:401–423.
- McCusker J, Bigelow C, Vickers-Lahti M, Spotts D, Garfield F, Frost R: Planned duration of residential drug abuse treatment: efficacy versus effectiveness. Addiction 1997;92:1467–1478.
- McCusker J, Stoddard A, Frost R, Zorn M: Planned versus actual duration of drug abuse treatment. Reconciling observational and experimental evidence. J Nerv Ment Dis 1996;184:482–489.
- Messina N, Wish E, Nemes S: Predictors of treatment outcomes in men and women admitted to a therapeutic community. Am J Drug Alcohol Abuse 2000;26:207–227.
- Messina NP, Wish ED, Nemes S: Therapeutic community treatment for substance abusers with antisocial personality disorder. J Subst Abuse Treat 1999;17:121–128.
- Simpson DD, Joe GW, Fletcher BW, Hubbard RL, Anglin MD: A national evaluation of treatment outcomes for cocaine dependence. Arch Gen Psychiatry 1999;56:507–514.
- Crits-Cristoph P, Siqueland L, Blaine J, Frank A, Luborsky L, Onken L, Muenz L, Thase M, Weiss R, Gastfriend D, Woody G, Barber J, Butler S, Daley D, Salloum I, Bishop S, Najavits L, Lis J, Mercer D, Griffin M, Moras K, Beck A: Psychosocial treatments for cocaine dependence. Arch Gen Psychiatry 1999;56:493–502.
- Mangrum L: Psychosocial treatments for cocaine dependence. Addict Behav 2009;34:898–904.
- Condelli WS, Koch MA, Fletcher B: Treatment refusal/attrition among adults randomly assigned to programs at a drug treatment campus: the New Jersey Substance Abuse Treatment Campus, Seacaucus, NJ. J Subst Abuse Treat 2000;18:395–407.
- Guydish J, Werdegar D, Sorensen JL, Clark W, Acampora A: Drug abuse day treatment: a randomized clinical trial comparing day and residential treatment programs. J Consult Clin Psychol 1998;66:280–289.
- McCusker J, Vickers-Lahti M, Stoddard A, Hindin R, Bigelow C, Zorn M, Garfield F, Frost R, Love C, Lewis B: The effectiveness of alternative planned durations of residential drug abuse treatment. Am J Public Health 1995;85:1426–1429.
- Nuttbrock LA, Rahav M, Rivera JJ, Ng-Mak DS, Link BG: Outcomes of homeless mentally ill chemical abusers in community residences and a therapeutic community. Psychiatr Serv 1998;49:68–76.
- Sacks S, Sacks JY, McKendrick K, Banks S, Stommel J: Modified TC for MICA offenders: crime outcomes. Behav Sci Law 2004;22:477–501.
- Wexler HK: The amity prison TC evaluation. Criminal Justice Behav 1999;26:147–167.
Amato L, Minozzi S, Davoli M, Vecchi S, Ferri MM, Mayet S: Psychosocial and pharmacological treatments versus pharmacological treatments for opioid detoxification. Cochrane Database Syst Rev 2008;CD005031.
Srisurapanont M, Jarusuraisin N: Opioid antagonists for alcohol dependence. Cochrane Database Syst Rev 2005;CD001867.
Article / Publication Details
Copyright / Drug Dosage / DisclaimerCopyright: All rights reserved. No part of this publication may be translated into other languages, reproduced or utilized in any form or by any means, electronic or mechanical, including photocopying, recording, microcopying, or by any information storage and retrieval system, without permission in writing from the publisher.
Drug Dosage: The authors and the publisher have exerted every effort to ensure that drug selection and dosage set forth in this text are in accord with current recommendations and practice at the time of publication. However, in view of ongoing research, changes in government regulations, and the constant flow of information relating to drug therapy and drug reactions, the reader is urged to check the package insert for each drug for any changes in indications and dosage and for added warnings and precautions. This is particularly important when the recommended agent is a new and/or infrequently employed drug.
Disclaimer: The statements, opinions and data contained in this publication are solely those of the individual authors and contributors and not of the publishers and the editor(s). The appearance of advertisements or/and product references in the publication is not a warranty, endorsement, or approval of the products or services advertised or of their effectiveness, quality or safety. The publisher and the editor(s) disclaim responsibility for any injury to persons or property resulting from any ideas, methods, instructions or products referred to in the content or advertisements.