Letter to the Editor
Red Meat Consumption and Mood and Anxiety DisordersJacka F.N.a, b · Pasco J.A.a · Williams L.J.a, b · Mann N.c · Hodge A.d · Brazionis L.g · Berk M.a, b, e, f
aSchool of Medicine, Deakin University, Geelong, Vic.; bDepartment of Psychiatry, University of Melbourne, and cSchool of Applied Sciences, RMIT University, Melbourne, Vic.; dCancer Council Victoria, Carlton, Vic.; eOrygen Research Centre, and fMental Health Research Institute, Melbourne, Vic.; gSchool of Population Health and Clinical Practice, University of Adelaide, Adelaide, S.A., Australia
Do you have an account?
- Rent for 48h to view
- Buy Cloud Access for unlimited viewing via different devices
- Synchronizing in the ReadCube Cloud
- Printing and saving restrictions apply
Rental: USD 8.50
Cloud: USD 20.00
Article / Publication Details
- Jacka FN, Mykletun A, Berk M, Bjelland I, Tell G: The association between habitual diet quality and the common mental disorders in community-dwelling adults: the Hordaland Health Study. Psychosom Med 2011;73:483–490.
- Jacka FN, Pasco JA, Mykletun A, Williams LJ, Nicholson GC, Kotowicz MA, Berk M: Diet quality in bipolar disorder in a population-based sample of women. J Affect Disord 2010;129:332–337.
- Jacka FN, Pasco JA, Mykletun A, Williams LJ, Hodge AM, O’Reilly SL, Nicholson GC, Kotowicz MA, Berk M: Association between western and traditional diets and depression and anxiety in women. Am J Psychiatry 2010;167:305–311.
- Jacka FN, Kremer PJ, Leslie E, Berk M, Patton G, Toumbourou JW, Williams JW: Associations between diet quality and depressed mood in adolescents: results from the Healthy Neighbourhoods study. Aust N Z J Psychiatry 2010;44:435–442.
- Sanchez-Villegas A, Delgado-Rodriguez M, Alonso A, Schlatter J, Lahortiga F, Majem LS, Martinez-Gonzalez MA: Association of the Mediterranean dietary pattern with the incidence of depression: the Seguimiento Universidad de Navarra/University of Navarra follow-up (SUN) cohort. Arch Gen Psychiatry 2009;66:1090–1098.
- Akbaraly TN, Brunner EJ, Ferrie JE, Marmot MG, Kivimaki M, Singh-Manoux A: Dietary pattern and depressive symptoms in middle age. Br J Psychiatry 2009;195:408–413.
- Nanri A, Kimura Y, Matsushita Y, Ohta M, Sato M, Mishima N, Sasaki S, Mizoue T: Dietary patterns and depressive symptoms among Japanese men and women. Eur J Clin Nutr 2010;64:832–839.
- Kuczmarski MF, Cremer Sees A, Hotchkiss L, Cotugna N, Evans MK, Zonderman AB: Higher Healthy Eating Index-2005 scores associated with reduced symptoms of depression in an urban population: findings from the Healthy Aging in Neighborhoods of Diversity Across the Life Span (HANDLS) study. J Am Diet Assoc 2010;110:383–389.
- Hu FB, Rimm EB, Stampfer MJ, Ascherio A, Spiegelman D, Willett WC: Prospective study of major dietary patterns and risk of coronary heart disease in men. Am J Clin Nutr 2000;72:912–921.
- Fung TT, Willett WC, Stampfer MJ, Manson JE, Hu FB: Dietary patterns and the risk of coronary heart disease in women. Arch Intern Med 2001;161:1857–1862.
- Michels KB, Wolk A: A prospective study of variety of healthy foods and mortality in women. Int J Epidemiol 2002;31:847–854.
- Baines S, Powers J, Brown WJ: How does the health and well-being of young Australian vegetarian and semi-vegetarian women compare with non-vegetarians? Public Health Nutr 2007;10:436–442.
- Larsson CL, Klock KS, Nordrehaug Astrom A, Haugejorden O, Johansson G: Lifestyle-related characteristics of young low-meat consumers and omnivores in Sweden and Norway. J Adolesc Health 2002;31:190–198.
Pasco JA, Nicholson GC, Kotowicz M: Cohort profile: Geelong Osteoporosis Study (GOS). Int J Epidemiol 2011, in press.
- Williams LJ, Jacka FN, Pasco JA, Henry M, Dodd S, Nicholson G, Kotowicz M, Berk M: The prevalence of mood and anxiety disorders in Australian women. Australas Psychiatry 2010;18:250–255.
Giles C, Ireland P: Dietary Questionnaire for Epidemiological Studies 555 (version 2). Melbourne, Cancer Council of Victoria, 1996.
National Health and Medical Research Council (NHMRC): Dietary Guidelines for Australian Adults: A Guide to Healthy Eating. Commonwealth of Australia, Australian Government Publishing Service, 2003.
First M, Spitzer R, M G, Williams J: Structured Clinical Interview for DSM-IV-TR Axis I Disorders, Research Version, Non-patient Edition (SCID-I/NP). New York, Biometrics Research, New York State Psychiatric Institute, 2002.
- Goldberg DP, Hillier VF: A scaled version of the General Health Questionnaire. Psychol Med 1979;9:139–145.
- Jacka FN, Kremer P, Berk M, de Silva-Sanigorski A, Moodie M, Leslie E, Pasco JA, Swinburn B: A prospective study of diet quality and wellbeing in adolescents. PLoS One 2011;6:e24805.
Article / Publication Details
Copyright / Drug Dosage / DisclaimerCopyright: All rights reserved. No part of this publication may be translated into other languages, reproduced or utilized in any form or by any means, electronic or mechanical, including photocopying, recording, microcopying, or by any information storage and retrieval system, without permission in writing from the publisher.
Drug Dosage: The authors and the publisher have exerted every effort to ensure that drug selection and dosage set forth in this text are in accord with current recommendations and practice at the time of publication. However, in view of ongoing research, changes in government regulations, and the constant flow of information relating to drug therapy and drug reactions, the reader is urged to check the package insert for each drug for any changes in indications and dosage and for added warnings and precautions. This is particularly important when the recommended agent is a new and/or infrequently employed drug.
Disclaimer: The statements, opinions and data contained in this publication are solely those of the individual authors and contributors and not of the publishers and the editor(s). The appearance of advertisements or/and product references in the publication is not a warranty, endorsement, or approval of the products or services advertised or of their effectiveness, quality or safety. The publisher and the editor(s) disclaim responsibility for any injury to persons or property resulting from any ideas, methods, instructions or products referred to in the content or advertisements.