Pathology and Pathogenesis of Diverticular Disease and Patterns of Colonic Mucosal Changes Overlying the DiverticulaHaboubi N.Y.a · Alqudah M.b
aDepartment of Surgical Pathology, University Hospital of South Manchester, and bDepartment of Histopathology, Central Manchester University Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust, Manchester Royal Infirmary, Manchester, UK
Do you have an account?
- Rent for 48h to view
- Buy Cloud Access for unlimited viewing via different devices
- Synchronizing in the ReadCube Cloud
- Printing and saving restrictions apply
Rental: USD 8.50
Cloud: USD 20.00
The aim of this article is to review the pathology of diverticular disease and draw attention to the histological changes that affect the wall and the mucosal lining of the sigmoid colon in this common condition. We were the first group to propose a histological classification for sigmoid colitis-associated diverticular disease, and in this paper we are adding another feature to our original observation.
© 2012 S. Karger AG, Basel
- Painter NS, Burkitt DP: Diverticular disease of the colon: a deficiency disease of Western civilisation. BMJ 1971;ii:450–454.
- Painter NS: The high fibre diet in the treatment of diverticular disease of the colon. Postgrad Med J 1974;50:629–635.
Haboubi NY: Diverticular disease and colorectal cancer, causally associated or accidentals. The logic from Burkett to C-CLEAR. Colo Rect Dis 2010;12:1073–1074.
Crowe FL, Appleby PN, Allen NE, et al: Diet and risk of diverticular disease in Oxford cohort of European Prospective Investigation into cancer and Nutrition (EPIC): perspective study of british vegetarians and non-vegetarians. BMJ 2011;343:245.
- Fishlock DJ, Parks AG: A study of human colonic muscle in vivo. Br Med J 1963;2:666–667.
- Morson BC: The muscle abnormality in diverticular disease of the sigmoid colon. Br J Radiol 1963;36:385–392.
- Rees BI, Jane Bond, Spriggs TLB, Hughes LE: Observations on the muscle abnormality of the human sigmoid colon in diverticular disease. Br J Clin Pharmac 1980;9:229–232.
- White CL, Hamilton SR, Diamond MP, Cameron JL: Crohn’s disease and ulcerative colitis in the same patient. Gut 1983;24: 857–862.
- Gore S, Shepherd NA, Wilkinson SP: Endoscopic crescentic fold disease of the sigmoid colon: the clinical and histopathological spectrum of a distinctive endoscopic appearance. Int J Colorectal Dis 1992;7:76–81.
- Makapugay LM, Dean PJ: Diverticular disease-associated chronic colitis. Am J Surg Pathol 1996;20:94–102.
- Ludeman L, Shepherd NA: What is diverticular colitis? Pathology 2002;34:568–572.
- Meyers MA, Alonso DR, Morson B, Bartram C: Pathogenesis of diverticulitis complicating granulomatous colitis. Gastroenterology 1978;74:24–31.
- Goldstein NS, Leon-Armin C, Mani A: Crohn’s colitis-like changes in sigmoid diverticulitis specimens is usually an idiosyncratic inflammatory response to the diverticulosis rather than Crohn’s colitis. Am J Surg Pathol 2000;24:668–675.
- Goldstein NS, Ahmad E: Histology of the mucosa in sigmoid colon specimens with diverticular disease: observations for the interpretation of sigmoid colonoscopic biopsy specimens. Am J Clin Pathol 1997;107:438–444.
- Ludeman L, Warren BF, Shepherd NA: The pathology of diverticular disease. Best Pract Res Clin Gastroenterol 2002;16:543–562.
- Peppercorn MA: Drug-responsive chronic segmental colitis associated with diverticula: a clinical syndrome in the elderly. Am J Gastroenterol 1992;87:609–612.
- Rampton DS: Diverticular colitis: diagnosis and management. Colorectal Dis 2001;3:149–153.
- Imperiali G, Meucci G, Alvisi C, et al: Segmental colitis associated with diverticula: a prospective study. Am J Gastroenterol 2000;95:1014–1016.
- Jani N, Finkelstein S, Blumberg D, Regueiro M: Segmental colitis associated with diverticulosis. Dig Dis Sci 2002;47:1175–1181.
Shanahan F, Bernstien CM: ANCAs aweigh in colitis. Gastroenterology 1993;105:946–947.
Haboubi NY, Khattab A, Edilbe MW: Patterns of colonic mucosal inflammation in diverticular disease; in: Diverticular Disease: Emerging Evidence in a Common Condition. Proce Falk Symp 148. Berlin, Springer, 2006, pp 3–16.
- Gledhill A, Dixon MF: Crohn’s-like reaction in diverticular disease. Gut 1998;42:392–395.
- Kelly JK: Polypoid prolapsing mucosal folds in diverticular disease. Am J Surg Pathol 1991;15:871.
Hart J, Baert F, and Hanauer S: Sigmoiditis: a clinical syndrome with a spectrum of pathological features, including a distinctive form of IBD. Mod Pathol 1995;8:62A.
Guslandi M: Segmental colitis: so what? Eur J Gastroenterol Hepatol 2003;15:11–12.
- Burroughs SH, Bowrey DJ, Morris-Stiff GJ, Williams GT: Granulomatous inflammation in sigmoid diverticulitis: two diseases or one? Histopathology 1998;33:349–353.
- Toner M, Condell D, O’Briain DS: Obstructive colitis. Ulceroinflammatory lesions occurring proximal to colonic obstruction. Am J Surg Pathol 1990;14:719–728.
Article / Publication Details
Copyright / Drug Dosage / DisclaimerCopyright: All rights reserved. No part of this publication may be translated into other languages, reproduced or utilized in any form or by any means, electronic or mechanical, including photocopying, recording, microcopying, or by any information storage and retrieval system, without permission in writing from the publisher.
Drug Dosage: The authors and the publisher have exerted every effort to ensure that drug selection and dosage set forth in this text are in accord with current recommendations and practice at the time of publication. However, in view of ongoing research, changes in government regulations, and the constant flow of information relating to drug therapy and drug reactions, the reader is urged to check the package insert for each drug for any changes in indications and dosage and for added warnings and precautions. This is particularly important when the recommended agent is a new and/or infrequently employed drug.
Disclaimer: The statements, opinions and data contained in this publication are solely those of the individual authors and contributors and not of the publishers and the editor(s). The appearance of advertisements or/and product references in the publication is not a warranty, endorsement, or approval of the products or services advertised or of their effectiveness, quality or safety. The publisher and the editor(s) disclaim responsibility for any injury to persons or property resulting from any ideas, methods, instructions or products referred to in the content or advertisements.