A Questionnaire-Based Survey on Screening for Gastric and Colorectal Cancer by Physicians in East Asian Countries in 2010Naito Y.a · Uchiyama K.a · Kinoshita Y.b · Fukudo S.c · Joh T.d · Suzuki H.e · Takahashi S.f · Ueno F.g · Fujiwara Y.h · Arakawa T.h · Matsumoto T.i · Hahm K.-B.j · Kachintorn U.k · Syam A.F.l · Rani A.A.m · Sollano J.D.n · Zhu Q.o
aMolecular Gastroenterology and Hepatology, Kyoto Prefectural University of Medicine, Kyoto, bDepartment of Gastroenterology and Hepatology, Shimane University School of Medicine, Izumo, cTohoku University School of Medicine, Sendai, dDepartment of Gastroenterology and Metabolism, Nagoya City University Graduate School of Medical Sciences, Nagoya, eDivision of Gastroenterology, Department of Internal Medicine, Keio University School of Medicine, Tokyo, fDepartment of Gastroenterology, School of Medicine, Kyorin University, Kyorin, gOfuna Chuo Hospital, Kamakura, hDepartment of Gastroenterology, Osaka City University Graduate School of Medicine, Osaka, and iDivision of Lower Gastroenterology, Department of Internal Medicine, Hyogo College of Medicine, Nishinomiya, Japan; jGachon University of Medicine and Science, Lee Gil Ya Cancer and Diabetes Institution, Incheon, Korea; kDivision of Gastroenterology, Department of Internal Medicine, Faculty of Medicine, Siriraj Hospital Mahidol University, Bangkok, Thailand; lDivision of Gastroenterology, Department of Internal Medicine, Faculty of Medicine, University of Indonesia, Dr. Cipto Mangunkusumo Hospital, and mDepartment of Internal Medicine, Faculty of Medicine, University of Indonesia Cipto Mangunkusumo Hospital, Jakarta, Indonesia; nUniversity of Santo Tomas, Manila, Philippines; oRui Jing Hospital, Shanghai Jiao Tong University School of Medicine, Shanghai, China
Do you have an account?
- Rent for 48h to view
- Buy Cloud Access for unlimited viewing via different devices
- Synchronizing in the ReadCube Cloud
- Printing and saving restrictions apply
Rental: USD 8.50
Cloud: USD 20.00
Article / Publication Details
Background: The incidence of gastric cancer (GC) is high, and colorectal cancer (CRC) has significantly increased in Asian countries. Aim: To examine the current screening for GC and CRC within East Asia by means of a questionnaire survey. Methods: Representative members of the Committee of the International Gastrointestinal Consensus Symposium provided a questionnaire to physicians in six East Asian countries. Results: A total of 449 physicians participated in this survey. In all countries, more than 70% of physicians started GC screening between 40 and 59 years. The most popular method to screen for GC was endoscopy (92.7%), but combination methods such as Helicobacter pylori (HP) antibody, barium X-ray, and tumor marker with endoscopy differed by country. For HP-positive individuals, most physicians screened every year by endoscopy, and for individuals post-HP eradication, about half of physicians (56.3%) thought there was a need to follow-up with GC screening. Among all physicians, the most common age to start CRC screening was in the 40s (39.8%) and 50s (40.9%). Based on the American Cancer Society Recommendations, a fecal occult blood test every year was the most popular method for CRC screening overall. However, among each country, this test was most popular in only Japan (76.9%) and Indonesia. In other countries, sigmoidoscopy every 5 years and total colonoscopy every 10 years were the most popular methods. Conclusion: There are similarities and differences in the screening of GC and CRC among East Asian countries.
© 2012 S. Karger AG, Basel
- Parkin DM, Bray F, Ferlay J, Pisani P: Global cancer statistics, 2002. CA Cancer J Clin 2005;55:74–108.
- Parkin DM: International variation. Oncogene 2004;23:6329–6340.
- Fukao A, Tsubono Y, Tsuji I, Hisamichi S, Sugahara N, Takano A: The evaluation of screening for gastric cancer in Miyagi prefecture, Japan: a population-based case-control study. Int J Cancer 1995;60:45–48.
- Sung JJ, Lau JY, Young GP, Sano Y, Chiu HM, Byeon JS, Yeoh KG, Goh KL, Sollano J, Rerknimitr R, Matsuda T, Wu KC, Ng S, Leung SY, Makharia G, Chong VH, Ho KY, Brooks D, Lieberman DA, Chan FK: Asia-Pacific consensus recommendations for colorectal cancer screening. Gut 2008;57:1166–1176.
- Levin B, Lieberman DA, McFarland B, Smith RA, Brooks D, Andrews KS, Dash C, Giardiello FM, Glick S, Levin TR, Pickhardt P, Rex DK, Thorson A, Winawer SJ: Screening and surveillance for the early detection of colorectal cancer and adenomatous polyps. A joint guideline from the American Cancer Society, the US Multi-Society Task Force on Colorectal Cancer, and the American College of Radiology. CA Cancer J Clin 2008;58:130–160.
- Brotherstone H, Vance M, Edwards R, Miles A, Robb KA, Evans RE, Wardle J, Atkin W: Uptake of population-based flexible sigmoidoscopy screening for colorectal cancer: a nurse-led feasibility study. J Med Screen 2007;14:76–80.
- Goulard H, Boussac-Zarebska M, Ancelle-Park R, Bloch J: French Colorectal Cancer Screening Pilot Programme: results of the first round. J Med Screen 2008;15:143–148.
- Meissner HI, Breen N, Klabunde CN, Vernon SW: Patterns of colorectal cancer screening uptake among men and women in the United States. Cancer Epidemiol Biomarkers Prev 2006;15:389–394.
- Seifert B, Zavoral M, Fric P, Bencko V: The role of primary care in colorectal cancer screening: experience from Czech Republic. Neoplasma 2008;55:74–80.
- Zorzi M, Barca A, Falcini F, Grazzini G, Pizzuti R, Ravaioli A, Sassoli de Bianchi P, Senore C, Sigillito A, Vettorazzi M, Visioli C: Screening for colorectal cancer in Italy: 2005 survey. Epidemiol Prev 2007;31:49–60.
- Smith RA, Cokkinides V, Brooks D, Saslow D, Brawley OW: Cancer screening in the United States, 2010: a review of current American Cancer Society guidelines and issues in cancer screening. CA Cancer J Clin 2010;60:99–119.
- Lin Y, Ueda J, Kikuchi S, Totsuka Y, Wei WQ, Qiao YL, Inoue M: Comparative epidemiology of gastric cancer between Japan and China. World J Gastroenterol 2011;17:4421–4428.
Zou XN, Duan JJ, Huangfu XM, Chen WQ, Zhao P: Analysis of stomach cancer mortality in the national retrospective sampling survey of death causes in China, 2004–2005 (in Chinese). Zhonghua Yu Fang Yi Xue Za Zhi 2010;44:390–397.
Shin HR: Global activity of cancer registries and cancer control and cancer incidence statistics in Korea (in Korean). Yebang Uihakhoe Chi 2008;41:84–91.
- Moore MA, Attasara P, Khuhaprema T, Le TN, Nguyen TH, Raingsey PP, Sriamporn S, Sriplung H, Srivanatanakul P, Bui DT, Wiangnon S, Sobue T: Cancer epidemiology in mainland South-East Asia – past, present and future. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev 2010;11(suppl 2):67–80.
- Moore MA, Manan AA, Chow KY, Cornain SF, Devi CR, Triningsih FX, Laudico A, Mapua CA, Mirasol-Lumague MR, Noorwati S, Nyunt K, Othman NH, Shah SA, Sinuraya ES, Yip CH, Sobue T: Cancer epidemiology and control in peninsular and island South-East Asia – past, present and future. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev 2010;11(suppl 2):81–98.
- Tokudome S, Soeripto, Triningsih FX, Ananta I, Suzuki S, Kuriki K, Akasaka S, Kosaka H, Ishikawa H, Azuma T, Moore MA: Rare Helicobacter pylori infection as a factor for the very low stomach cancer incidence in Yogyakarta, Indonesia. Cancer Lett 2005;219:57–61.
- Crew KD, Neugut AI: Epidemiology of gastric cancer. World J Gastroenterol 2006;12:354–362.
- Leung WK, Wu MS, Kakugawa Y, Kim JJ, Yeoh KG, Goh KL, Wu KC, Wu DC, Sollano J, Kachintorn U, Gotoda T, Lin JT, You WC, Ng EK, Sung JJ: Screening for gastric cancer in Asia: current evidence and practice. Lancet Oncol 2008;9:279–287.
- Tashiro A, Sano M, Kinameri K, Fujita K, Takeuchi Y: Comparing mass screening techniques for gastric cancer in Japan. World J Gastroenterol 2006;12:4873–4874.
- Tsubono Y, Hisamichi S: Screening for gastric cancer in Japan. Gastric Cancer 2000;3:9–18.
- Oshima A, Hirata N, Ubukata T, Umeda K, Fujimoto I: Evaluation of a mass screening program for stomach cancer with a case-control study design. Int J Cancer 1986;38:829–833.
- Abe Y, Mitsushima T, Nagatani K, Ikuma H, Minamihara Y: Epidemiological evaluation of the protective effect for dying of stomach cancer by screening programme for stomach cancer with applying a method of case-control study – a study of an efficient screening programme for stomach cancer (in Japanese). Nihon Shokakibyo Gakkai Zasshi 1995;92:836–845.
- Pisani P, Oliver WE, Parkin DM, Alvarez N, Vivas J: Case-control study of gastric cancer screening in Venezuela. Br J Cancer 1994;69:1102–1105.
- Inaba S, Hirayama H, Nagata C, Kurisu Y, Takatsuka N, Kawakami N, Shimizu H: Evaluation of a screening program on reduction of gastric cancer mortality in Japan: preliminary results from a cohort study. Prev Med 1999;29:102–106.
- Mizoue T, Yoshimura T, Tokui N, Hoshiyama Y, Yatsuya H, Sakata K, Kondo T, Kikuchi S, Toyoshima H, Hayakawa N, Tamakoshi A, Ohno Y, Fujino Y, Kaneko S: Prospective study of screening for stomach cancer in Japan. Int J Cancer 2003;106:103–107.
Miki K: Gastric cancer screening using the serum pepsinogen test method. Gastric Cancer 2006;9:245–253.
- Watabe H, Mitsushima T, Yamaji Y, Okamoto M, Wada R, Kokubo T, Doi H, Yoshida H, Kawabe T, Omata M: Predicting the development of gastric cancer from combining Helicobacter pylori antibodies and serum pepsinogen status: a prospective endoscopic cohort study. Gut 2005;54:764–768.
- Fock KM, Talley N, Moayyedi P, Hunt R, Azuma T, Sugano K, Xiao SD, Lam SK, Goh KL, Chiba T, Uemura N, Kim JG, Kim N, Ang TL, Mahachai V, Mitchell H, Rani AA, Liou JM, Vilaichone RK, Sollano J: Asia-Pacific consensus guidelines on gastric cancer prevention. J Gastroenterol Hepatol 2008;23:351–365.
- Wong BC, Lam SK, Wong WM, Chen JS, Zheng TT, Feng RE, Lai KC, Hu WH, Yuen ST, Leung SY, Fong DY, Ho J, Ching CK, Chen JS: Helicobacter pylori eradication to prevent gastric cancer in a high-risk region of China: a randomized controlled trial. JAMA 2004;291:187–194.
- Haruma K, Suzuki T, Tsuda T, Yoshihara M, Sumii K, Kajiyama G: Evaluation of tumor growth rate in patients with early gastric carcinoma of the elevated type. Gastrointest Radiol 1991;16:289–292.
- Takenaka R, Okada H, Kato J, Makidono C, Hori S, Kawahara Y, Miyoshi M, Yumoto E, Imagawa A, Toyokawa T, Sakaguchi K, Shiratori Y: Helicobacter pylori eradication reduced the incidence of gastric cancer, especially of the intestinal type. Aliment Pharmacol Ther 2007;25:805–812.
- Take S, Mizuno M, Ishiki K, Yoshida T, Ohara N, Yokota K, Oguma K, Okada H, Yamamoto K: The long-term risk of gastric cancer after the successful eradication of Helicobacter pylori. J Gastroenterol 2011;46:318–324.
- Ogura K, Hirata Y, Yanai A, Shibata W, Ohmae T, Mitsuno Y, Maeda S, Watabe H, Yamaji Y, Okamoto M, Yoshida H, Kawabe T, Omata M: The effect of Helicobacter pylori eradication on reducing the incidence of gastric cancer. J Clin Gastroenterol 2008;42:279–283.
- Ohata H, Kitauchi S, Yoshimura N, Mugitani K, Iwane M, Nakamura H, Yoshikawa A, Yanaoka K, Arii K, Tamai H, Shimizu Y, Takeshita T, Mohara O, Ichinose M: Progression of chronic atrophic gastritis associated with Helicobacter pylori infection increases risk of gastric cancer. Int J Cancer 2004;109:138–143.
- Fukuda H, Saito D, Hayashi S, Hisai H, Ono H, Yoshida S, Oguro Y, Noda T, Sato T, Katoh M, et al: Helicobacter pylori infection, serum pepsinogen level and gastric cancer: a case-control study in Japan. Jpn J Cancer Res 1995;86:64–71.
- Mizuno S, Miki I, Ishida T, Yoshida M, Onoyama M, Azuma T, Habu Y, Inokuchi H, Ozasa K, Miki K, Watanabe Y: Prescreening of a high-risk group for gastric cancer by serologically determined Helicobacter pylori infection and atrophic gastritis. Dig Dis Sci 2010;55:3132–3137.
- Inoue K, Fujisawa T, Haruma K: Assessment of degree of health of the stomach by concomitant measurement of serum pepsinogen and serum Helicobacter pylori antibodies. Int J Biol Markers 2010;25:207–212.
GLOBOCAN 2008. International Agency for Research on Cancer, 2008.
- Winawer S, Fletcher R, Rex D, Bond J, Burt R, Ferrucci J, Ganiats T, Levin T, Woolf S, Johnson D, Kirk L, Litin S, Simmang C: Colorectal cancer screening and surveillance: clinical guidelines and rationale-update based on new evidence. Gastroenterology 2003;124:544–560.
- Rhodes JM: Colorectal cancer screening in the UK: joint position statement by the British Society of Gastroenterology, the Royal College of Physicians, and the Association of Coloproctology of Great Britain and Ireland. Gut 2000;46:746–748.
- Sung JJ, Chan FK, Leung WK, Wu JC, Lau JY, Ching J, To KF, Lee YT, Luk YW, Kung NN, Kwok SP, Li MK, Chung SC: Screening for colorectal cancer in Chinese: comparison of fecal occult blood test, flexible sigmoidoscopy, and colonoscopy. Gastroenterology 2003;124:608–614.
- Choe JW, Chang HS, Yang SK, Myung SJ, Byeon JS, Lee D, Song HK, Lee HJ, Chung EJ, Kim SY, Jung HY, Lee GH, Hong WS, Kim JH, Min YI: Screening colonoscopy in asymptomatic average-risk Koreans: analysis in relation to age and sex. J Gastroenterol Hepatol 2007;22:1003–1008.
- Chiu HM, Wang HP, Lee YC, Huang SP, Lai YP, Shun CT, Chen MF, Wu MS, Lin JT: A prospective study of the frequency and the topographical distribution of colon neoplasia in asymptomatic average-risk Chinese adults as determined by colonoscopic screening. Gastrointest Endosc 2005;61:547–553.
- Leung WK, Ho KY, Kim WH, Lau JY, Ong E, Hilmi I, Kullavanijaya P, Wang CY, Li CJ, Fujita R, Abdullah M, Tandon R, Sung JJ: Colorectal neoplasia in Asia: a multicenter colonoscopy survey in symptomatic patients. Gastrointest Endosc 2006;64:751–759.
- Allison JE, Sakoda LC, Levin TR, Tucker JP, Tekawa IS, Cuff T, Pauly MP, Shlager L, Palitz AM, Zhao WK, Schwartz JS, Ransohoff DF, Selby JV: Screening for colorectal neoplasms with new fecal occult blood tests: update on performance characteristics. J Natl Cancer Inst 2007;99:1462–1470.
- Morikawa T, Kato J, Yamaji Y, Wada R, Mitsushima T, Sakaguchi K, Shiratori Y: Sensitivity of immunochemical fecal occult blood test to small colorectal adenomas. Am J Gastroenterol 2007;102:2259–2264.
- Kronborg O, Fenger C, Olsen J, Jorgensen OD, Sondergaard O: Randomised study of screening for colorectal cancer with faecal-occult-blood test. Lancet 1996;348:1467–1471.
- Hardcastle JD, Chamberlain JO, Robinson MH, Moss SM, Amar SS, Balfour TW, James PD, Mangham CM: Randomised controlled trial of faecal-occult-blood screening for colorectal cancer. Lancet 1996;348:1472–1477.
- Kronborg O, Jorgensen OD, Fenger C, Rasmussen M: Randomized study of biennial screening with a faecal occult blood test: results after nine screening rounds. Scand J Gastroenterol 2004;39:846–851.
- Heresbach D, Manfredi S, D’Halluin PN, Bretagne JF, Branger B: Review in depth and meta-analysis of controlled trials on colorectal cancer screening by faecal occult blood test. Eur J Gastroenterol Hepatol 2006;18:427–433.
- Lindholm E, Brevinge H, Haglind E: Survival benefit in a randomized clinical trial of faecal occult blood screening for colorectal cancer. Br J Surg 2008;95:1029–1036.
- Sanford KW, McPherson RA: Fecal occult blood testing. Clin Lab Med 2009;29:523–541.
- Zheng S, Chen K, Liu X, Ma X, Yu H, Chen K, Yao K, Zhou L, Wang L, Qiu P, Deng Y, Zhang S: Cluster randomization trial of sequence mass screening for colorectal cancer. Dis Colon Rectum 2003;46:51–58.
- Imperiale TF, Wagner DR, Lin CY, Larkin GN, Rogge JD, Ransohoff DF: Risk of advanced proximal neoplasms in asymptomatic adults according to the distal colorectal findings. N Engl J Med 2000;343:169–174.
- Levin TR, Farraye FA, Schoen RE, Hoff G, Atkin W, Bond JH, Winawer S, Burt RW, Johnson DA, Kirk LM, Litin SC, Rex DK: Quality in the technical performance of screening flexible sigmoidoscopy: recommendations of an international multi-society task group. Gut 2005;54:807–813.
- Segnan N, Senore C, Andreoni B, Azzoni A, Bisanti L, Cardelli A, Castiglione G, Crosta C, Ederle A, Fantin A, Ferrari A, Fracchia M, Ferrero F, Gasperoni S, Recchia S, Risio M, Rubeca T, Saracco G, Zappa M: Comparing attendance and detection rate of colonoscopy with sigmoidoscopy and fit for colorectal cancer screening. Gastroenterology 2007;132:2304–2312.
- Lewis JD, Ng K, Hung KE, Bilker WB, Berlin JA, Brensinger C, Rustgi AK: Detection of proximal adenomatous polyps with screening sigmoidoscopy: a systematic review and meta-analysis of screening colonoscopy. Arch Intern Med 2003;163:413–420.
- Betes Ibanez M, Munoz-Navas MA, Duque JM, Angos R, Macias E, Subtil JC, Herraiz M, de la Riva S, Delgado-Rodriguez M, Martinez-Gonzelez MA: Diagnostic value of distal colonic polyps for prediction of advanced proximal neoplasia in an average-risk population undergoing screening colonoscopy. Gastrointest Endosc 2004;59:634–641.
- Atkin WS, Edwards R, Kralj-Hans I, Wooldrage K, Hart AR, Northover JM, Parkin DM, Wardle J, Duffy SW, Cuzick J: Once-only flexible sigmoidoscopy screening in prevention of colorectal cancer: a multicentre randomised controlled trial. Lancet 2010;375:1624–1633.
- Lieberman DA, Weiss DG: One-time screening for colorectal cancer with combined fecal occult-blood testing and examination of the distal colon. N Engl J Med 2001;345:555–560.
- Berhane C, Denning D: Incidental finding of colorectal cancer in screening colonoscopy and its cost effectiveness. Am Surg 2009;75:699–703.
- Weissfeld JL, Schoen RE, Pinsky PF, Bresalier RS, Church T, Yurgalevitch S, Austin JH, Prorok PC, Gohagan JK: Flexible sigmoidoscopy in the PLCO cancer screening trial: results from the baseline screening examination of a randomized trial. J Natl Cancer Inst 2005;97:989–997.
- Segnan N, Senore C, Andreoni B, Aste H, Bonelli L, Crosta C, Ferraris R, Gasperoni S, Penna A, Risio M, Rossini FP, Sciallero S, Zappa M, Atkin WS: Baseline findings of the Italian multicenter randomized controlled trial of ‘once-only sigmoidoscopy’ score. J Natl Cancer Inst 2002;94:1763–1772.
- Van Rijn JC, Reitsma JB, Stoker J, Bossuyt PM, van Deventer SJ, Dekker E: Polyp miss rate determined by tandem colonoscopy: a systematic review. Am J Gastroenterol 2006;101:343–350.
- Rex DK, Petrini JL, Baron TH, Chak A, Cohen J, Deal SE, Hoffman B, Jacobson BC, Mergener K, Petersen BT, Safdi MA, Faigel DO, Pike IM: Quality indicators for colonoscopy. Gastrointest Endosc 2006;63:S16–S28.
- Barclay RL, Vicari JJ, Doughty AS, Johanson JF, Greenlaw RL: Colonoscopic withdrawal times and adenoma detection during screening colonoscopy. N Engl J Med 2006;355:2533–2541.
- Harewood GC, Sharma VK, de Garmo P: Impact of colonoscopy preparation quality on detection of suspected colonic neoplasia. Gastrointest Endosc 2003;58:76–79.
- Marmo R, Rotondano G, Riccio G, Marone A, Bianco MA, Stroppa I, Caruso A, Pandolfo N, Sansone S, Gregorio E, D’Alvano G, Procaccio N, Capo P, Marmo C, Cipolletta L: Effective bowel cleansing before colonoscopy: a randomized study of split-dosage versus non-split dosage regimens of high-volume versus low-volume polyethylene glycol solutions. Gastrointest Endosc 2010;72:313–320.
- Rex DK: Colonoscopic withdrawal technique is associated with adenoma miss rates. Gastrointest Endosc 2000;51:33–36.
- Singh H, Turner D, Xue L, Targownik LE, Bernstein CN: Risk of developing colorectal cancer following a negative colonoscopy examination: evidence for a 10-year interval between colonoscopies. JAMA 2006;295:2366–2373.
- Brenner H, Chang-Claude J, Seiler CM, Sturmer T, Hoffmeister M: Does a negative screening colonoscopy ever need to be repeated? Gut 2006;55:1145–1150.
- Colorectal Cancer Screening. Recommendation statement from the Canadian task force on preventive health care. CMAJ 2001;165:206–208.
- Imperiale TF, Ransohoff DF, Itzkowitz SH, Turnbull BA, Ross ME: Fecal DNA versus fecal occult blood for colorectal-cancer screening in an average-risk population. N Engl J Med 2004;351:2704–2714.
- Ahlquist DA, Sargent DJ, Loprinzi CL, Levin TR, Rex DK, Ahnen DJ, Knigge K, Lance MP, Burgart LJ, Hamilton SR, Allison JE, Lawson MJ, Devens ME, Harrington JJ, Hillman SL: Stool DNA and occult blood testing for screen detection of colorectal neoplasia. Ann Intern Med 2008;149:441–450.
Article / Publication Details
Copyright / Drug Dosage / DisclaimerCopyright: All rights reserved. No part of this publication may be translated into other languages, reproduced or utilized in any form or by any means, electronic or mechanical, including photocopying, recording, microcopying, or by any information storage and retrieval system, without permission in writing from the publisher.
Drug Dosage: The authors and the publisher have exerted every effort to ensure that drug selection and dosage set forth in this text are in accord with current recommendations and practice at the time of publication. However, in view of ongoing research, changes in government regulations, and the constant flow of information relating to drug therapy and drug reactions, the reader is urged to check the package insert for each drug for any changes in indications and dosage and for added warnings and precautions. This is particularly important when the recommended agent is a new and/or infrequently employed drug.
Disclaimer: The statements, opinions and data contained in this publication are solely those of the individual authors and contributors and not of the publishers and the editor(s). The appearance of advertisements or/and product references in the publication is not a warranty, endorsement, or approval of the products or services advertised or of their effectiveness, quality or safety. The publisher and the editor(s) disclaim responsibility for any injury to persons or property resulting from any ideas, methods, instructions or products referred to in the content or advertisements.