Cognitive-Behavioral Therapy for Schizophrenia: A Critical Evaluation of Its Theoretical Framework from a Clinical-Phenomenological PerspectiveŠkodlar B.a-c · Henriksen M.G.b, c · Sass L.A.d · Nelson B.e · Parnas J.b, c
aUniversity Psychiatric Clinic Ljubljana, University of Ljubljana, Ljubljana, Slovenia; bDanish National Research Foundation, Centre for Subjectivity Research, University of Copenhagen, and cPsychiatric Center Hvidovre, University of Copenhagen, Copenhagen, Denmark; dDepartment of Clinical Psychology, Rutgers University, New Brunswick,N.J., USA; eORYGEN Research Centre, University of Melbourne, Melbourne, Vic., Australia
Do you have an account?
- Rent for 48h to view
- Buy Cloud Access for unlimited viewing via different devices
- Synchronizing in the ReadCube Cloud
- Printing and saving restrictions apply
Rental: USD 8.50
Cloud: USD 20.00
Article / Publication Details
Background: Cognitive-behavioral therapy (CBT) has played an increasingly important role in psychotherapy for schizophrenia since the 1990s, but it has also encountered many theoretical and practical limitations. For example, methodologically rigorous meta-analyses have recently found only modest overall effect sizes of CBT treatment, and therefore questions have emerged about forwhat and for whom it actually works. Method: The focus of the present paper is to elucidate the theoretical assumptions underlying CBT for schizophrenia and to examine their consistency with abnormalities of experience and self-awareness frequently reported by schizophrenia patients and systematically studied in phenomenological psychopathology from the beginning of the 20th century. Results: We argue that a strong theoretical emphasis on cognitive appraisals with only subsidiary attention devoted to affective and behavioral processes - as is characteristic of many forms of CBT - cannot satisfactorily account for the complex subjective experiences of schizophrenia patients. We further argue that certain theoretical strategies widely employed in CBT to explore and explain mental disorders, which involve atomization and, at times, a reification of mental phenomena, can be problematic and may result in a loss of explanatory potential. Finally, we provide a detailed account of how negative symptoms and delusions are conceptualized in CBT and consider the question of how these concepts fit the actual phenomenology of schizophrenia. Conclusion: We suggest that further advancement of CBT theory and practice can benefit from a dialogue with phenomenological psychiatry in the search for effective psychotherapeutic strategies for schizophrenia patients.
© 2012 S. Karger AG, Basel
Prochaska J, Norcross J: Systems of Psychotherapy: A Transtheoretical Analysis. Pacific Grove, Brooks/Cole, 2003.
- Wykes T, Steel C, Everitt B, Tarrier N: Cognitive behavior therapy for schizophrenia: effect sizes, clinical models, and methodological rigor. Schizophr Bull 2008;34:523-537.
- Cutting J, Dunne F: Subjective experience of schizophrenia. Schizophr Bull 1989;15:217-231.
- Fuchs T: Delusional mood and delusional perception: a phenomenological analysis. Psychopathology 2005;38:133-139.
- Fuchs T: The temporal structure of intentionality and its disturbance in schizophrenia. Psychopathology 2007;40:229-235.
Stanghellini G: Disembodied Spirits and Deanimated Bodies. The Psychopathology of Common Sense. Oxford, Oxford University Press, 2004.
- Uhlhaas PJ, Mishara A: Perceptual anomalies in schizophrenia: integrating phenomenology and cognitive neuroscience. Schizophr Bull 2007;33:142-156.
- Lysaker PH, Lysaker JT: Schizophrenia and alterations in self-experience: a comparison of 6 perspectives. Schizophr Bull 2010;36:331-340.
Ratcliffe M: Feelings of Being. Phenomenology, Psychiatry and the Sense of Reality. Oxford, Oxford University Press, 2008.
- Sass L, Parnas J: Self, consciousness, and schizophrenia. Schizophr Bull 2003;29:427-444.
- Parnas J, Sass LA, Zahavi D: Recent developments in philosophy of psychopathology. Curr Opin Psychiatry 2008;21:578-584.
Parnas J, Sass LA: Varieties of ‘phenomenology': on description, understanding, and explanation in psychiatry; in Kendler KS, Parnas J (eds): Philosophical Issues in Psychiatry. Explanation, Phenomenology, and Nosology. Baltimore, Johns Hopkins University Press, 2008, pp 239-278.
- Nelson B, Yung AR, Bechdolf A, McGorry PD: The phenomenological critique and self-disturbance: implications for ultra-high risk (‘prodrome') research. Schizophr Bull 2008;34:381-392.
- Parnas J, Zahavi D: The role of phenomenology in psychiatric diagnosis and classification; in Maj M, Gaebel W, López-Ibor JJ, Sartorius N (eds): Psychiatric Diagnosis and Classification. Chichester, Wiley & Sons, 2002, pp 137-162.
- Beck AT: Successful out-patient psychotherapy of a chronic schizophrenic with a delusion based on borrowed guilt. Psychiatry 1952;15:305-312.
- Beck AT: Thinking and depression. I. Idiosyncratic content and cognitive distortions. Arch Gen Psychiatry 1963;9:324-333.
- Beck AT: Thinking and depression. II. Theory and therapy. Arch Gen Psychiatry 1964;10:561-571.
Garety PA, Fowler D, Kuipers E: Cognitive-behavioural therapy for people with psychosis; in Martindale B, Bateman A, Crowe M, Margison F (eds): Psychosis. Psychological Approaches and Their Effectiveness. London, Gaskell, 2000, pp 30-49.
Kingdon DG, Turkington D: Cognitive-Behavioral Therapy of Schizophrenia. New York, Guilford, 1994.
Kelly GA: A Theory of Personality. The Psychology of Personal Constructs. London, Norton, 1963.
Dryden W, Neenan M: The Rational Emotive Behavioural Approach to Therapeutic Change. London, Sage, 2004.
- Hayes SC: Acceptance and commitment therapy, relational frame theory, and the third wave of behavioral and cognitive therapies. Behav Ther 2004;35:639-665.
Chalmers DJ: The Conscious Mind. In Search of a Theory of Conscious Experience. Oxford, Oxford University Press, 1996.
Dennett DC: Content and Consciousness. London, Routledge, 1986.
- McDowell J: The content of perceptual experience. Philos Quart 1994;44:190-205.
Nuechterlein KH, Subotnik KL: The cognitive origins of schizophrenia and prospects for intervention; in Wykes T, Tarrier N, Lewis S (eds): Outcome and Innovation in Psychological Treatment of Schizophrenia. Chichester, Wiley & Sons, 1998, pp 17-41.
Beck AT, Rector NA, Stolar N, Grant P: Schizophrenia. Cognitive Theory, Research, and Therapy. New York, Guilford, 2009.
- Bargh JA, Ferguson MJ: Beyond behaviorism: on the automaticity of higher mental processes. Psychol Bull 2000;126:925-945.
- Chartrand T, Bargh J: Nonconscious motivations: their activation, operation, and consequences; in Tesser A, Stapel DA, Wood J (eds): Self and Motivation. Washington, American Psychological Association, 2002.
- Stanovich KE, West RF: Individual differences in reasoning: implications for the rationality debate? Behav Brain Sci 2000;23:645-726.
- Shafir E, LeBoeuf RA: Rationality. Annu Rev Psychol 2002;53:491-517.
- Thompson E: Sensorimotor subjectivity and the enactive approach to experience. Phenomenol Cogn Sci 2005;4:407-427.
Beck AT: Beyond belief: a theory of modes, personality, and psychopathology; in Salkovskis PM (ed): Frontiers of Cognitive Therapy. New York, Guilford, 1996, pp 1-25.
Teasdale JD: Clinically relevant theory: integrating clinical insight with cognitive science; in Salkovskis PM (ed): Frontiers of Cognitive Therapy. New York, Guilford, 1996, pp 26-47.
Morrison AP, Renton JC, Dunn H, Williams S, Bentall RP: Cognitive Therapy for Psychosis. A Formulation-Based Approach. New York, Brunner-Routledge, 2004.
- Nuechterlein KH, Dawson ME: A heuristic vulnerability/stress model of schizophrenic episodes. Schizophr Bull 1984;10:300-312.
- Zubin J, Spring B: Vulnerability: a new view of schizophrenia. J Abnorm Psychol 1977;86:103-126.
- Garety PA, Kuipers E, Fowler D, Freeman D, Bebbington PE: A cognitive model of the positive symptoms of psychosis. Psychol Med 2001;31:189-195.
- Beck AT: The current state of cognitive therapy: a 40-year perspective. Arch Gen Psychiatry 2005;62:953-959.
- Bentall RP, Fernyhough C: Social predictors of psychotic experiences: specificity and psychological mechanisms. Schizophr Bull 2008;34:1012-1020.
Bolton D, Hill J: Mind, Meaning, and Mental Disorder. The Nature of Causal Explanation in Psychology and Psychiatry. Oxford, Oxford University Press, 2003.
- Møller P, Husby R: The initial prodrome in schizophrenia: searching for naturalistic core dimensions of experience and behavior. Schizophr Bull 2000;26:217-232.
- Parnas J, Handest P: Phenomenology of anomalous self-experience in early schizophrenia. Compr Psychiatry 2003;44:121-134.
- Skodlar B, Tomori M, Parnas J: Subjective experience and suicidal ideation in schizophrenia. Compr Psychiatry 2008;49:482-488.
McEachrane M: Capturing emotional thoughts: the philosophy of cognitive-behavioral therapy; in Gustafsson Y, Kronqvist C, McEachrane M (eds): Emotions and Understanding. New York, Palgrave Macmillan, 2009, pp 81-101.
Zajonc RB: Feeling and thinking: preferences need no inferences. Am Psychol 1980;35:151-175.
Safran JD: Emotion in cognitive-behavioral theory and treatment; in Salkovskis PM (ed): Trends in Cognitive and Behavioural Therapies. Chichester, Wiley & Sons, 1996, pp 121-132.
- Ciompi L: The concept of affect logic. An integrative psycho-socio-biological approach to understanding and treatment of schizophrenia. Psychiatry 1997;60:158-170.
Solomon R: The Passions: Emotions and the Meaning of Life. Cambridge, Hacket, 1993.
Nussbaum M: Upheavals of Thought: The Intelligence of Emotion. Cambridge, Cambridge University Press, 2001.
Hutchinson P: Emotion-philosophy-science; in Gustafsson Y, Kronqvist C, McEachrane M (eds): Emotions and Understanding. New York, Palgrave Macmillan, 2009, pp 60-80.
Heidegger M: Being and Time. Oxford, Blackwell, 2007.
- Henriksen MG, Škodlar B, Sass LA, Parnas J: Autism and perplexity: a qualitative and theoretical study of basic subjective experiences in schizophrenia. Psychopathology 2010;43:357-368.
Bentall RP: The syndromes and symptoms of psychosis. Or why you can't play ‘twenty questions' with the concept of schizophrenia and hope to win; in Bentall RP (ed): Reconstructing Schizophrenia. London, Routledge, 1990, pp 23-60.
- Wing JK: Abandoning what? Br J Clin Psychol 1988;27:325-328.
- Freeman D, Garety PA: Comments on the content of persecutory delusions: does the definition need clarification? Br J Clin Psychol 2000;39:407-414.
- Freeman D: Suspicious minds: the psychology of persecutory delusions. Clin Psychol Rev 2007;27:425-457.
Jaspers K: General Psychopathology. Baltimore, Johns Hopkins University Press, 1997.
- Beck AT, Brown G, Berchick RJ, Stewart BL, Steer AR: Relationship between hopelessness and ultimate suicide: a replication with psychiatric outpatients. Am J Psychiatry 1990;147:190-195.
- Beck AT, Brown G, Steer RA, Dahlsgaard KK, Grisham JR: Suicide ideation at its worst point: a predictor of eventual suicide in psychiatric outpatients. Suicide Life Threat Behav 1999;29:1-9.
- Brown GK, Steer RA, Henriques GR, Beck AT: The internal struggle between the wish to die and the wish to live: a risk factor for suicide. Am J Psychiatry 2005;162:1977-1979.
- Startup H, Freeman D, Garety PA: Persecutory delusions and catastrophic worry in psychosis: developing the understanding of delusion distress and persistence. Behav Res Ther 2007;45:523-537.
Schreber PD: Memoirs of My Nervous Illness. Cambridge, Harvard University Press, 1988.
Saks ER: The Center Cannot Hold. New York, Hyperion, 2007.
- Raballo A, Saebye D, Parnas J: Looking at the schizophrenia spectrum through the prism of self-disorders: an empirical study. Schizophr Bull 2011;37:344-351.
Chadwick P: Person-Based Cognitive Therapy for Distressing Psychosis. Chichester, Wiley & Sons, 2006.
Pankey J, Hayes SC: Acceptance and commitment therapy for psychosis. Int J Psychol Psychol Ther 2003;3:311-328.
- Abba N, Chadwick P, Stevenson C: Responding mindfully to distressing psychosis: a grounded theory analysis. Psychother Res 2008;18:77-87.
- Dickerson FB: Cognitive behavioral psychotherapy for schizophrenia: a review of recent empirical studies. Schizophr Res 2000;43:71-90.
- Gould RA, Mueser KT, Bolton E, Mays V, Goff D: Cognitive therapy for psychosis in schizophrenia: an effect size analysis. Schizophr Res 2001;48:335-342.
- Rector NA, Beck AT: Cognitive behavioral therapy for schizophrenia: an empirical review. J Nerv Ment Dis 2001;189:278-287.
- Zimmermann G, Favrod J, Trieu VH, Pomini V: The effect of cognitive behavioral treatment on the positive symptoms of schizophrenia spectrum disorders: a meta-analysis. Schizophr Res 2005;77:1-9.
- Pfammatter M, Junghan UM, Brenner HD: Efficacy of psychological therapy in schizophrenia: conclusions from meta-analyses. Schizophr Bull 2006;32(suppl 1):S64-S80.
- Pilling S, Bebbington P, Kuipers E, Garety P, Geddes J, Orbach G, Morgan C: Psychological treatments in schizophrenia. I. Meta-analysis of family intervention and cognitive behaviour therapy. Psychol Med 2002;32:763-782.
- Scott J: Cognitive-behavioural therapy for severe mental disorders: back to the future? Editorial. Br J Psychiatry 2008;192:401-403.
- Tarrier N, Wykes T: Is there evidence that cognitive behaviour therapy is an effective treatment for schizophrenia? A cautious or cautionary tale? Behav Res Ther 2004;42:1377-1401.
- Jacobson NS, Dobson KS, Truax PA, Addis ME, Koerner K, Gollan JK, Gortner E, Prince SE: A component analysis of cognitive-behavioral treatment for depression. J Consult Clin Psychol 1996;64:295-304.
- Longmore RJ, Worrell M: Do we need to challenge thoughts in cognitive behavior therapy? Clin Psychol Rev 2007;27:173-187.
Gaudiano BA: The cognitive-behavioral treatment of schizophrenia: the state of the art and the evidence. Int J Behav Consult Ther 2006;2:1-11.
- Lincoln TM, Suttner C, Nestoriuc Y: Wirksamkeit kognitiver Interventionen fuer Schizophrenie. Psychol Rundsch 2008;59:217-232.
- Garety PA, Fowler DG, Freeman D, Bebbington P, Dunn G, Kuipers E: Cognitive-behavioural therapy and family intervention for relapse prevention and symptom reduction in psychosis: randomized controlled trial. Br J Psychiatry 2008;192:412-423.
- Tarrier N, Yusopoff L, Kinney C, McCarthy E, Gledhill A, Haddock G, et al: Randomised controlled trial of intensive cognitive behaviour therapy for patients with chronic schizophrenia. BMJ 1998;317:303-307.
- Tarrier N, Wittkowski A, Kinney C, McCarthy E, Morris J, Humphreys L: Durability of the effects of cognitive-behavioural therapy in the treatment of chronic schizophrenia: 12-month follow-up. Br J Psychiatry 1999;174:500-504.
- Sensky T, Turkington D, Kingdon D, Scott JL, Scott J, Siddle R, et al: A randomized controlled trial of cognitive-behavioral therapy for persistent symptoms in schizophrenia resistant to medication. Arch Gen Psychiatry 2000;57:165-172.
- Gaudiano BA: Cognitive-behavior therapies for psychotic disorders: current empirical status and future directions. Clin Psychol Sci Pract 2005;12:33-50.
- Messari S, Hallam R: CBT for psychosis: a qualitative analysis of clients' experiences. Br J Clin Psychol 2003;42:171-188.
- Gleeson JF, Cotton SM, Alvarez-Jimenez M, Wade D, Gee D, Crisp K, et al: A randomized controlled trial of relapse prevention therapy for first-episode psychosis patients. J Clin Psychiatry 2009;70:477-486.
- Kim CH, Jayathilake K, Meltzer HY: Hopelessness, neurocognitive function, and insight in schizophrenia: relationship to suicidal behavior. Schizophr Res 2003;60:71-80.
- Pompili M, Ruberto A, Kotzalidis GD, Girardi P, Tatarelli R: Suicide and awareness of illness in schizophrenia: an overview. Bull Menninger Clin 2004;68:297-318.
- Klingberg S, Wittorf A, Herrlich J, Wiedemann G, Meisner C, Buchkremer G, et al: Cognitive behavioural treatment of negative symptoms in schizophrenia patients: study design of the TONES study, feasibility and safety of treatment. Eur Arch Psychiatry Clin Neurosci 2009;259(suppl 2):S149-S154.
- Grant PM, Huh GA, Perivoliotis D, Stolar NM, Beck AT: Randomized trial to evaluate the efficacy of cognitive therapy for low-functioning patients with schizophrenia. Arch Gen Psychiatry 2012;69:121-127.
- Garety P, Fowler D, Kuipers E, Freeman D, Dunn G, Bebbington P, et al: London-East Anglia randomised controlled trial of cognitive-behavioural therapy for psychosis. II. Predictors of outcome. Br J Psychiatry 1997;171:420-426.
- Rector NA, Beck AT, Stolar N: The negative symptoms of schizophrenia: a cognitive perspective. Can J Psychiatry 2005;50:247-257.
Hughlings Jackson J: Selected Writings. London, Hodder & Stoughton, 1931.
- Meehl PE: Schizotaxia, schizotypy, schizophrenia. Am Psychol 1962;17:827-838.
- Parnas J, Bovet P: Autism in schizophrenia revisited. Compr Psychiatry 1991;32:7-21.
- Parnas J, Bovet P, Zahavi D: Schizophrenic autism: clinical phenomenology and pathogenetic implications. World Psychiatry 2002;1:131-136.
- Strauss J, Carpenter WT, Bartko J: The diagnosis and understanding of schizophrenia. Part III. Speculations on the processes that underlie schizophrenic symptoms and signs. Schizophr Bull 1974;1:61-69.
- Andreasen N: Negative symptoms in schizophrenia: definition and reliability. Arch Gen Psychiatry 1982;39:784-788.
- Parnas J, Bovet P: Negative/positive symptoms of schizophrenia: clinical and conceptual issues. Nord J Psychiatry 1994;48(suppl 31):5-14.
- Grant PM, Beck AT: Defeatist beliefs as a mediator of cognitive impairment, negative symptoms, and functioning in schizophrenia. Schizophr Bull 2009;35:798-806.
- Perivoliotis D, Morrison AP, Grant PM, French P, Beck AT: Negative performance beliefs and negative symptoms in individuals at ultra-high risk of psychosis: a preliminary study. Psychopathology 2009;42:375-379.
- Granholm E, Ben-Zeev D, Link PC: Social disinterest attitudes and group cognitive-behavioral social skills training for functional disability in schizophrenia. Schizophr Bull 2009;35:874-883.
- Bentall RP, Corcoran R, Howard R, Blackwood N, Kinderman P: Persecutory delusions: a review and theoretical integration. Clin Psychol Rev 2001;21:1143-1192.
- Häfner H, Löffler W, Maurer K, Hambrecht M, an der Heiden W: Depression, negative symptoms, social stagnation and social decline in the early course of schizophrenia. Acta Psychiatr Scand 1999;100:105-118.
- Bromet EJ, Naz B, Fochtmann LJ, Carlson GA, Tanenberg-Karant M: Long-term diagnostic stability and outcome in recent first-episode cohort studies of schizophrenia. Schizophr Bull 2005;31:639-649.
- Davidson M, Reichenberg A, Rabinowitz J, Weiser M, Kaplan Z, Mark M: Behavioral and intellectual markers for schizophrenia in apparently healthy male adolescents. Am J Psychiatry 1999;156:1328-1335.
Fuller RLM, Schultz SK, Andreasen NC: The symptoms of schizophrenia; in Hirsch RS, Weinberger DL (eds): Schizophrenia. Malden, Blackwell, 2003, pp 25-33.
- Robinson DG, Woerner MG, McMeniman M, Mendelowitz A, Bilder RM: Symptomatic and functional recovery from a first episode of schizophrenia or schizoaffective disorder. Am J Psychiatry 2004;161:473-479.
- Milev P, Ho B, Arndt S, Andreasen NC: Predictive values of neurocognition and negative symptoms on functional outcome in schizophrenia: a longitudinal first-episode study with 7-year follow-up. Am J Psychiatry 2005;162:495-506.
- Schultze-Lutter F: Subjective symptoms of schizophrenia in research and the clinic: the basic symptom concept. Schizophr Bull 2009;35:5-8.
- Parnas J, Handest P, Jansson L, Sæbye D: Anomalous subjective experience among first-admitted schizophrenia spectrum patients: empirical investigation. Psychopathology 2005;38:259-267.
- Raballo A, Parnas J: The silent side of the spectrum: schizotypy and the schizotaxic self. Schizophr Bull 2011;37:1017-1026.
- Skodlar B, Parnas J: Self-disorder and subjective dimensions of suicidality in schizophrenia. Compr Psychiatry 2010;51:363-366.
Minkowski E: La Schizophrénie. Psychopathologie des Schizoïdes et des Schizophrènes. Paris, Payot, 1927.
Blankenburg W: Der Verlust der natürlichen Selbstverständlichkeit. Ein Beitrag zur Psychopathologie symptomarmer Schizophrenien. Stuttgart, Enke, 1971.
Sass LA: ‘Negative symptoms', schizophrenia, and the self. Int J Psychol Psychol Ther 2003;3:153-180.
- Bouricius JK: Negative symptoms and emotions in schizophrenia. Schizophr Bull 1989;15:201-208.
- Freeman D, Garety PA, Kuipers E, Fowler D, Bebbington PE: A cognitive model of persecutory delusions. Br J Clin Psychol 2002;41:331-347.
- Beck AT, Rector NA: Cognitive approaches to schizophrenia. Theory and therapy. Annu Rev Clin Psychol 2005;1:577-606.
Garety PA, Hemsley DR: Delusions: Investigations into the Psychology of Delusional Reasoning. Oxford, Oxford University Press, 1994.
- Garety PA, Freeman D: Cognitive approaches to delusions: a critical review of theories and evidence. Br J Clin Psychol 1999;38:113-154.
- Garety PA, Freeman D, Jolley S, et al: Reasoning, emotions, and delusional conviction in psychosis. J Abnorm Psychol 2005;114:373-384.
- Young HF, Bentall RP: Probabilistic reasoning in deluded, depressed and normal subjects: effects of task difficulty and meaningful versus non-meaningful material. Psychol Med 1997;27:455-465.
- Bentall RP, Rowse G, Shryane N, Kinderman P, Howard R, Blackwood N, et al: The cognitive and affective structure of paranoid delusions: a transdiagnostic investigation of patients with schizophrenia spectrum disorders and depression. Arch Gen Psychiatry 2009;66:236-247.
- Fine C, Gardner M, Craigie J, Gold I: Hopping, skipping or jumping to conclusions? Clarifying the role of the JTC bias in delusions. Cogn Neuropsychiatry 2007;12:64-77.
Broome MR, Johns LC, Valli I, Woolley JB, Tabraham P, Brett C, et al: People with an at-risk mental state jump to conclusions. Br J Psychiatry 2007;191(suppl 51):S38-S42.
- Van Dael F, Versmissen D, Janssen I, Myin-Germeys I, van Os J, Krabbendam L: Data gathering: biased in psychosis? Schizophr Bull 2006;32:341-351.
- Moritz S, Woodward TS: Jumping to conclusions in delusional and non-delusional schizophrenic patients. Br J Clin Psychol 2005;44:193-207.
- Bentall RP, Kinderman P, Kaney S: The self, attributional processes and abnormal beliefs: towards a model of persecutory delusions. Behav Res Ther 1994;32:331-341.
- Lyon HM, Kaney S, Bentall RP: The defensive function of persecutory delusions: evidence from attribution tasks. Br J Psychiatry 1994;164:637-646.
- Krstev H, Jackson H, Maude D: An investigation of attributional style in first-episode psychosis. Br J Clin Psychol 1999;38:181-194.
- Janssen I, Versmissen D, Campo JA, Myin-Germeys I, van Os J, Krabbendam L: Attribution style and psychosis: evidence for an externalizing bias in patients but not in individuals at high risk. Psychol Med 2006;36:771-778.
- Martin JA, Penn DL: Attributional style in schizophrenia. Schizophr Bull 2002;28:131-141.
- Randall F, Corcoran R, Day JC, Bentall RP: Attention, theory of mind, and causal attributions in people with persecutory delusions. Cogn Neuropsychiatry 2003;8:287-294.
- McKay R, Langdon R, Coltheart M: Paranoia, persecutory delusions and attributional biases. Psychiatry Res 2005;136:233-245.
- Fraguas D, Mena A, Franco C, Martin-Blas MM, Nugent K, Rodriguez-Solano JJ: Attributional style, symptomatology and awareness of illness in schizophrenia. Psychiatry Res 2008;158:316-323.
- Humphreys L, Barrowclough C: Attributional style, defensive functioning and persecutory delusions: symptom-specific or general coping strategy? Br J Clin Psychol 2006;45:231-246.
- Meissner WW: The schizophrenic and the paranoid process. Schizophr Bull 1981;7:611-631.
Shapiro D: Neurotic Styles. New York, Basic Books, 1965.
Shapiro D: Autonomy and Rigid Character. New York, Basic Books, 1984.
- Brüne M: ‘Theory of mind' in schizophrenia: a review of the literature. Schizophr Bull 2005;31:21-42.
Frith U: Autism: Explaining the Enigma. Oxford, Blackwell, 2003.
- Frith CD, Corcoran R: Exploring ‘theory of mind' in people with schizophrenia. Psychol Med 1996;26:521-530.
- Corcoran R, Cahill C, Frith CD: The appreciation of visual jokes in people with schizophrenia. Schizophr Res 1997;24:319-327.
- Craig JS, Hatton C, Craig FB, Bentall RP: Persecutory beliefs, attributions and theory of mind. Schizophr Res 2004;69:29-33.
- Mehl S, Rief W, Luellmann E, Ziegler M, Kesting ML, Lincoln TM: Are Theory of Mind deficits in understanding intentions of others associated with persecutory delusions? J Nerv Ment Dis 2010;198:516-519.
- Drury VM, Robinson EJ, Birchwood M: ‘Theory of mind' skills during an acute episode of psychosis and following recovery. Psychol Med 1998;28:1101-1112.
- Pickup GJ, Frith CD: Theory of mind impairments in schizophrenia: symptomatology, severity and specificity. Psychol Med 2001;31:207-220.
- Mitchley NJ, Barber J, Gray JM, Brooks DN, Livingstone MG: Comprehension of irony in schizophrenia. Cogn Neuropsychiatry 1998;3:127-138.
- Mazza M, De Risio A, Surian L, Roncone R, Casacchia M: Selective impairments of theory of mind in people with schizophrenia. Schizophr Res 2001;47:299-308.
- McCabe R, Leudar I, Antaki C: Do people with schizophrenia display theory of mind deficits in clinical interactions? Psychol Med 2004;34:401-412.
Zahavi D, Parnas J: Conceptual problems in infantile autism research. J Conscious Stud 2003;10:53-71.
- Broome MR, Woolley JB, Tabraham P, Johns LC, Bramona E, Murray GK, et al: What causes the onset of psychosis? Schizophr Res 2005;79:23-34.
Wernicke C: Grundriss der Psychiatrie in klinischen Vorlesungen. Leipzig, Thieme, 1906.
Maher BA: Delusions: contemporary etiological hypotheses. Psychiatr Ann 1992;22:260-268.
Conrad K: Die beginnende Schizophrenie. Bonn, Psychiatrie-Verlag, 2002.
- Sacks MH, Carpenter WT, Strauss JS: Recovery from delusions: three phases documented by patient's interpretation of research procedures. Arch Gen Psychiatry 1974;80:117-120.
- Birchwood M, Mason R, MacMillan F, Healy J: Depression, demoralization and control over psychotic illness: a comparison of depressed and non-depressed patients with chronic psychosis. Psychol Med 1993;23:387-395.
- Gipps RGT, Fulford KWM: Understanding the clinical concept of delusion: from an estranged to an engaged epistemology. Int Rev Psychiatr 2004;16:225-235.
- Brunero J: Against cognitivism about practical rationality. Philos Stud 2009;146:311-325.
- Bovet P, Parnas J: Schizophrenic delusions: a phenomenological approach. Schizophr Bull 1993;19:579-597.
Parnas J: Belief and pathology of self-awareness: a phenomenological contribution to the classification of delusions. J Conscious Stud 2004;11:148-161.
- Cermolacce M, Sass LA, Parnas J: What is bizarre in bizarre delusions? A critical review. Schizophr Bull 2010;36:667-679.
Janet P: De l'angoisse à l'extase. Paris, Alcan, 1926.
Maître J: Une inconnue célèbre. La Madeleine Lebouc de Janet. Paris, Éditions Anthropos, 1993.
- Sass LA: Heidegger, schizophrenia and the ontological difference. Philos Psychol 1992;5:109-132.
Sass LA: Paradoxes of Delusion: Wittgenstein, Schreber, and the Schizophrenic Mind. Ithaca, Cornell, 1994.
- Sass LA: Contradictions of emotion in schizophrenia. Cogn Emot 2007;21:351-390.
Müller-Suur H: Das Gewissheitsbewusstsein beim schizophrenen und paranoischen Wahnerleben. Fortschr Neurol Psychiatr Grenzgeb 1950;18:44-51.
- Wessely S, Buchanan A, Reed A, Cutting J, Everitt B, Garety P, Taylor PJ: Acting on delusions. I. Prevalence. Br J Psychiatry 1993;163:69-76.
- Buchanan A, Reed A, Wessely S, Garety P, Taylor P, Grubin D, Dunn G: Acting on delusions. II. The phenomenological correlates of acting on delusions. Br J Psychiatry 1993;163:77-81.
- Corin E: Facts and meaning in psychiatry. An anthropological approach to the lifeworld of schizophrenics. Cult Med Psychiatry 1990;14:153-188.
Article / Publication Details
Copyright / Drug Dosage / DisclaimerCopyright: All rights reserved. No part of this publication may be translated into other languages, reproduced or utilized in any form or by any means, electronic or mechanical, including photocopying, recording, microcopying, or by any information storage and retrieval system, without permission in writing from the publisher.
Drug Dosage: The authors and the publisher have exerted every effort to ensure that drug selection and dosage set forth in this text are in accord with current recommendations and practice at the time of publication. However, in view of ongoing research, changes in government regulations, and the constant flow of information relating to drug therapy and drug reactions, the reader is urged to check the package insert for each drug for any changes in indications and dosage and for added warnings and precautions. This is particularly important when the recommended agent is a new and/or infrequently employed drug.
Disclaimer: The statements, opinions and data contained in this publication are solely those of the individual authors and contributors and not of the publishers and the editor(s). The appearance of advertisements or/and product references in the publication is not a warranty, endorsement, or approval of the products or services advertised or of their effectiveness, quality or safety. The publisher and the editor(s) disclaim responsibility for any injury to persons or property resulting from any ideas, methods, instructions or products referred to in the content or advertisements.