Association between Obesity and Dental Caries in Chinese ChildrenWu L.a · Chang R.a · Mu Y.b · Deng X.c · Wu F.a · Zhang S.a · Zhou D.a
aDepartment of Endodontics, School of Stomatology, Tianjin Medical University, bDepartment of Stomatology, Nankai Hospital, and cDepartment of Stomatology, Beichen Chinese Medicine Hospital, Tianjin, PR China
Do you have an account?
- Rent for 48h to view
- Buy Cloud Access for unlimited viewing via different devices
- Synchronizing in the ReadCube Cloud
- Printing and saving restrictions apply
Rental: USD 8.50
Cloud: USD 20.00
Article / Publication Details
The study sought to analyze the association between dental caries and obesity in Chinese children, and to investigate the protective and risk factors of dental caries. A total of 280 children aged 7–12 years voluntarily answered the caries examination and questionnaire. Caries was measured using the International Caries Detection and Assessment System. According to the Chinese body mass index, the participants were grouped overweight or normal-weight. The logistic regression model showed no correlation between dental caries and obesity. Drinking yogurt and chewing gum are protective factors, whereas oral breathing and genetic predisposition to caries are risk factors.
© 2012 S. Karger AG, Basel
- Autio JT: Effect of xylitol chewing gum on salivary Streptococcus mutans in preschool children. ASDC J Dent Child 2002;69:81–86.
- Bailleul-Forestier I, Lopes K, Souames M, Azoguy-Levy S, Frelut M, Boy-Lefevre M: Caries experience in a severely obese adolescent population. Int J Paediatr Dent 2007;17:358–363.
- Burt BA, Kolker JL, Sandretto AM, Yuan Y, Sohn W, Ismail AI: Dietary patterns related to caries in a low-income adult population. Caries Res 2006;40:473–480.
Chinese Obesity Task Force: Body mass index classification criteria of overweight and obesity of school children in China. Chin J Epidemiol 2004;25:97–102.
- Cinar AB, Murtomaa H: Interrelation between obesity, oral health and life-style factors among Turkish school children. Clin Oral Invest 2011;15:177–184.
- Ferrazzano GF, Cantile T, Quarto M, Ingenito A, Chianese L, Addeo F: Protective effect of yogurt extract on dental enamel demineralization in vitro. Aust Dent J 2008;53:314–319.
- Finlayson TL, Siefert K, Ismail AI, Sohn W: Psychosocial factors and early childhood caries among low-income African-American children in Detroit. Community Dent Oral Epidemiol 2007;35:439–448.
- Gerdin EW, Angbratt M, Aronsson K, Eriksson E, Johansson I: Dental caries and body mass index by socio-economic status in Swedish children. Community Dent Oral Epidemiol 2008;36:459–465.
- Hildebrandt GH, Sparks BS: Maintaining mutans streptococci suppression with xylitol chewing gum. Ann Pharmacother 2000;34:98–100.
- Hong L, Ahmed A, McCunniff M, Overman P, Mathew M: Obesity and dental caries in children aged 2–5 years in the United States: National Health and Nutrition Examination Survey 1999–2002. J Public Health Dent 2008;68:227–233.
- Ismail AI, Sohn W, Tellez M, Willem JM, Betz J, Lepkowski J: Risk indicators for dental caries using the International Caries Detection and Assessment System (ICDAS). Community Dent Oral Epidemiol 2008;36:55–68.
- Kantovitz KR, Pascon FM, Rontani RM, Gavião MB: Obesity and dental caries: a systematic review. Oral Health Prev Dent 2006;4:137–144.
- Pitts N: ICDAS: an international system for caries detection and assessment being developed to facilitate caries epidemiology, research and appropriate clinical management. Community Dent Health 2004;21:193–198.
- Proctor MH, Moore LL, Gao D, Cupples LA, Bradlee ML, Hood MY, Ellison RC: Television viewing and change in body fat from preschool to early adolescence: the Framingham children’s study. Int J Obes Relat Metab Disord 2003;27:827–833.
- Ruottinen S, Karjalainen S, Pienihakkinen K, Lagstrom H, Niinikoski H, Salminen M, Ronnemaa T, Simell O: Sucrose intake since infancy and dental health in 10-year-old children. Caries Res 2004;38:142–148.
- Tramini P, Molinari N, Tentscher M, Demattei C, Schulte AG: Association between caries experience and body mass index in 12-year-old French children. Caries Res 2009;43:468–473.
- Vázquez-Nava F, Vázquez REM, Saldívar GAH, Lin-Ochoa D, Martínez-Perales GM, Joffre-Velázquez VM: Association between obesity and dental caries in a group of preschool children in Mexico. J Public Health Dent 2010;70:124–130.
- Willerhausen B, Blettner M, Kasaj A, Hohenfellner K: Association between body mass index and dental health in 1,290 children of elementary schools in a German city. Clin Oral Invest 2007;11:195–200.
Article / Publication Details
Copyright / Drug Dosage / DisclaimerCopyright: All rights reserved. No part of this publication may be translated into other languages, reproduced or utilized in any form or by any means, electronic or mechanical, including photocopying, recording, microcopying, or by any information storage and retrieval system, without permission in writing from the publisher.
Drug Dosage: The authors and the publisher have exerted every effort to ensure that drug selection and dosage set forth in this text are in accord with current recommendations and practice at the time of publication. However, in view of ongoing research, changes in government regulations, and the constant flow of information relating to drug therapy and drug reactions, the reader is urged to check the package insert for each drug for any changes in indications and dosage and for added warnings and precautions. This is particularly important when the recommended agent is a new and/or infrequently employed drug.
Disclaimer: The statements, opinions and data contained in this publication are solely those of the individual authors and contributors and not of the publishers and the editor(s). The appearance of advertisements or/and product references in the publication is not a warranty, endorsement, or approval of the products or services advertised or of their effectiveness, quality or safety. The publisher and the editor(s) disclaim responsibility for any injury to persons or property resulting from any ideas, methods, instructions or products referred to in the content or advertisements.