Effects of Fluoride on in vitro Enamel Demineralization Analyzed by 19F MAS-NMRMohammed N.R.a · Kent N.W.a · Lynch R.J.M.b · Karpukhina N.a · Hill R.a · Anderson P.a
aDental Physical Sciences Unit, Centre for Oral Growth and Development, Barts and The London School of Medicine and Dentistry, Queen Mary University, London, and bGlaxoSmithKline Consumer Healthcare, Weybridge, UK
Do you have an account?
- Rent for 48h to view
- Buy Cloud Access for unlimited viewing via different devices
- Synchronizing in the ReadCube Cloud
- Printing and saving restrictions apply
Rental: USD 8.50
Cloud: USD 20.00
Article / Publication Details
The mechanistic action of fluoride on inhibition of enamel demineralization was investigated using 19F magic angle spinning nuclear magnetic resonance (MAS-NMR). The aim of this study was to monitor the fluoride-mineral phase formed on the enamel as a function of the concentration of fluoride ions [F-] in the demineralizing medium. The secondary aim was to investigate fluorapatite formation on enamel in the mechanism of fluoride anti-caries efficacy. Enamel blocks were immersed into demineralization solutions of 0.1
© 2013 S. Karger AG, Basel
- Brauer DS, Karpukhina N, Law RV, Hill RG: Structure of fluoride-containing bioactive glasses. J Mater Chem 2009;19:5629-5636.
- Christoffersen J, Christoffersen MR, Kibalczyc W, Perdok WG: Kinetics of dissolution and growth of calcium fluoride and effects of phosphate. Acta Odontol Scand 1988;46:325-336.
- Ekstrand J: Fluoride in plaque fluid and saliva after NaF or MFP rinses. Eur J Oral Sci 1997;105:478-484.
- Featherstone JDB: Prevention and reversal of dental caries: role of low level fluoride. Community Dent Oral Epidemiol 1999;27:31-40.
- Featherstone JDB, Shields CP, Khademazad B, Oldershaw MD: Acid reactivity of carbonated apatites with strontium and fluoride substitutions. J Dent Res 1983;62:1049-1053.
- Fischer C, Lussi A, Hotz P: The cariostatic mechanisms of action of fluorides. A review. Schweiz Monatsschr Zahnmed 1995;105:311-317.
- Fox JL, Iyer BV, Higuchi WI, Hefferren JJ: Solution activity product (KFAP) and simultaneous demineralization-remineralization in bovine tooth enamel and hydroxyapatite pellets. J Pharm Sci 1983;72:1252-1255.
- Ganss C, Schlueter N, Klimek J: Retention of KOH-soluble fluoride on enamel and dentine under erosive conditions - a comparison of in vitro and in situ results. Arch Oral Biol 2007;52:9-14.
- Koulourides T, Keller SE, Manson-Hing L, Lilley V: Enhancement of fluoride effectiveness by experimental cariogenic priming of human enamel. Caries Res 1980;14:32-39.
- Larsen MJ, Jensen SJ: Experiments on the initiation of calcium fluoride formation with reference to the solubility of dental enamel and brushite. Arch Oral Biol 1994;39:23-27.
- Lynch RJM, Mony U, ten Cate JM: The effect of fluoride at plaque fluid concentrations on enamel de- and remineralisation at low pH. Caries Res 2006;40:522-529.
- Mitra SB, Oxman JD, Falsafi A, Ton TT: Fluoride release and recharge behavior of a nano-filled resin-modified glass ionomer compared with that of other fluoride releasing materials. Am J Dent 2011;24:372-378.
- Moreno EC, Kresak M, Zahradnik RT: Fluoridated hydroxyapatite solubility and caries formation. Nature 1974;247:64-65.
- Newbrun E: What we know and do not know about fluoride. J Public Health Dent 2010;70:227-233.
- Ogaard B: CaF2 formation: cariostatic properties and factors of enhancing the effect. Caries Res 2001;35(suppl 1):40-44.
- Ogaard B, Rølla G, Helgeland K: Uptake and retention of alkali-soluble and alkali-insoluble fluoride in sound enamel in vivo after mouthrinses with 0.05% or 0.2% NaF. Caries Res 1983;17:520-524.
- Preston AJ, Mair LH, Agalamanyi EA, Higham SM: Fluoride release from aesthetic dental materials. J Oral Rehabil 1999;26:123-129.
- Ripa LW: A critique of topical fluoride methods (dentifrices, mouthrinses, operator-applied, and self-applied gels) in an era of decreased caries and increased fluorosis prevalence. Public Health Dent 1991;51:23-41.
- Rølla G, Ogaard B, Cruz Rde A: Topical application of fluorides on teeth. New concepts of mechanisms of interaction. J Clin Periodontol 1993;20:105-108.
- Rølla G, Saxegaard E: Critical evaluation of the composition and use of topical fluorides, with emphasis on the role of calcium fluoride in caries inhibition. J Dent Res 1990;69:780-785.
- Saxegaard E, Rölla G: Fluoride acquisition on and in human enamel during topical application in vitro. Scand J Dent Res 1988;96:523-535.
- Takagi S, Liao H, Chow LC: Effect of tooth-bound fluoride on enamel demineralization/remineralization in vitro. Caries Res 2000;34:281-288.
- Tavss EA, Bonta CY, Joziak MT, Fisher SW, Campbell SK: High-potency sodium fluoride: a literature review. Compend Contin Educ Dent 1997;18:31-36.
- ten Cate JM: Review on fluoride, with special emphasis on calcium fluoride mechanisms in caries prevention. Eur J Oral Sci 1997;105:461-465.
- ten Cate JM, Featherstone JDB: Mechanistic aspects of the interactions between fluoride and dental enamel. Crit Rev Oral Biol Med 1991;2:283-296.
- ten Cate JM, van Duinen RN: Hypermineralization of dentinal lesions adjacent to glass-ionomer cement restorations. J Dent Res 1995;74:1266-1271.
- Thuy TT, Nakagaki H, Kato K, Hung PA, Inukai J, Tsuboi S, Nakagaki H, Hirose MN, Igarashi S, Robinson C: Effect of strontium in combination with fluoride on enamel remineralization in vitro. Arch Oral Biol 2008;53:1017-1022.
- Vogel GL, Mao Y, Chow LC, Proskin HM: Fluoride in plaque fluid, plaque, and saliva measured for 2 hours after a sodium fluoride monofluorophosphate rinse. Caries Res 2000a;34:404-411.
- Vogel GL, Tenuta LMA, Schumacher GE, Chow LC: No calcium-fluoride-like deposits detected in plaque shortly after a sodium fluoride mouthrinse. Caries Res 2010;44:108-115.
- Vogel GL, Zhang Z, Chow LC, Carey CM, Schumacher GE, Banting DW: Effect in vitro acidification on plaque fluid composition with and without a NaF or a controlled-release fluoride rinse. J Dent Res 2000b;79:983-990.
- White DJ, Bowman WD, Faller RV, Mobley MJ, Wolfgang RA, Yesinowski JP: 19F MAS-NMR and solution chemical characterization of the reactions of fluoride with hydroxyapatite and powdered enamel. Acta Odontol Scand 1988;46:375-389.
- White DJ, Nelson DG, Faller RV: Mode of action of fluoride: application of new techniques and test methods to the examination of the mechanism of action of topical fluoride. Adv Dent Res 1994;8:166-174.
- Yesinowski JP, Mobley MJ: F-19 MAS-NMR of fluoridated hydroxyapatite surfaces. J Am Chem Soc 1983;105:6191-6193.
Article / Publication Details
Copyright / Drug Dosage / DisclaimerCopyright: All rights reserved. No part of this publication may be translated into other languages, reproduced or utilized in any form or by any means, electronic or mechanical, including photocopying, recording, microcopying, or by any information storage and retrieval system, without permission in writing from the publisher.
Drug Dosage: The authors and the publisher have exerted every effort to ensure that drug selection and dosage set forth in this text are in accord with current recommendations and practice at the time of publication. However, in view of ongoing research, changes in government regulations, and the constant flow of information relating to drug therapy and drug reactions, the reader is urged to check the package insert for each drug for any changes in indications and dosage and for added warnings and precautions. This is particularly important when the recommended agent is a new and/or infrequently employed drug.
Disclaimer: The statements, opinions and data contained in this publication are solely those of the individual authors and contributors and not of the publishers and the editor(s). The appearance of advertisements or/and product references in the publication is not a warranty, endorsement, or approval of the products or services advertised or of their effectiveness, quality or safety. The publisher and the editor(s) disclaim responsibility for any injury to persons or property resulting from any ideas, methods, instructions or products referred to in the content or advertisements.