A Polysomnographic and Clinical Study of Sleep Disorders in Patients with Behçet and Neuro-Behçet SyndromeUygunoğlu U. · Benbir G. · Saip S. · Kaynak H. · Siva A.
Department of Neurology, Cerrahpasa Faculty of Medicine, Istanbul University, Istanbul, Turkey
Do you have an account?
- Rent for 48h to view
- Buy Cloud Access for unlimited viewing via different devices
- Synchronizing in the ReadCube Cloud
- Printing and saving restrictions apply
Rental: USD 8.50
Cloud: USD 20.00
Article / Publication Details
Brainstem is the most common site of involvement in neuro-Behçet syndrome (NBS). On the other hand, the critical importance of this anatomical region in the regulation of sleep has been disregarded in the literature. We aimed to investigate the microstructure of sleep in patients with Behçet syndrome (BS) and NBS. Patients were allocated to 2 groups: (1) BS without any neurological involvement and (2) NBS with brainstem lesions only. A control group was also enrolled in this study. The comparison of polysomnographic parameters between all patients (BS and NBS) with the control group showed that sleep onset was longer (p = 0.006), the duration of superficial NREM sleep stage (N2) was significantly longer (p = 0.018), and the respiratory disturbance index was significantly higher (p = 0.034) in patients. Sleep apnea and restless legs syndrome are more commonly observed in BS and NBS. Our findings emphasize the importance of questioning the quality of sleep and its disorders in patients with BS in order to better handle the common somatic complaints in these patients, such as fatigue or daytime sleepiness.
© 2014 S. Karger AG, Basel
- Aguiar de Sousa D, Mestre T, Ferro M: Cerebral venous thrombosis in Behçet's disease: a systematic review. J Neurol 2011;258:719-727.
- Cavaco S, da Silva AM, Pinto P, Coutinho E, Santos E, Bettencourt A, Pinto C, Goncalves A, Silva S, Gomes F, Carvalho L, Pereira C, Martins B, Correia J, Vasconcelos C: Cognitive functioning in Behçet's disease. Ann NY Acad Sci 2009;1173:217-226.
- Tuzun Y: Hulusi Behçet, MD: February 20, 1889 to March 8, 1948. Clin Dermatol 2006;24:548-550.
- Kaklamani VG, Vaiopoulos G, Kaklamanis PG: Behçet's disease. Semin Arthritis Rheum 1998;27:197-217.
- Mizuki N, Ota M, Katsuyama Y, Yabuki K, Ando H, Goto K, Nakamura S, Bahram S, Ohno S, Inoko H: Association analysis between the MIC-A and HLA-B alleles in Japanese patients with Behçet's disease. Arthritis Rheum 1999;42:1961-1966.
- Gül A, Hajeer AH, Worthington J, Barrett JH, Ollier WE, Silman AJ: Evidence for linkage of the HLA-B locus in Behçet's disease, obtained using the transmission disequilibrium test. Arthritis Rheum 2001;44:239-240.
Knapp P: Beitrag zur Symptomatologie und Therapie der rezidiverenden Hypopyoniritis und der begleitenden apthösen Schleimhauterkrankungen. Shweiz Med Wochenschr 1941;71:1288-1290.
Cavara V, D'Ermo E: A case of neuro-Behçet's syndrome. Acta XVII Concili Ophtalmologici 1954;3:1489.
- Kural-Seyahi E, Fresko I, Seyahi N, Ozyazgan Y, Mat C, Hamuryudan V, Yurdakul S, Yazici H: The long-term mortality and morbidity of Behçet syndrome: a 2-decade outcome survey of 387 patients followed at a dedicated center. Medicine (Baltimore) 2003;82:60-76.
- Al-Araji A, Sharquie K, Al-Rawi Z: Prevalence and patterns of neurological involvement in Behçet's disease: a prospective study from Iraq. J Neurol Neurosurg Psychiatry 2003;74:608-613.
- Lo Monaco A, La Corte R, Caniatti L, Borrelli M, Trotta F: Neurological involvement in North Italian patients with Behçet disease. Rheumatol Int 2006;26:1113-1119.
- Joseph FG, Scolding NJ: Neuro-Behçet's disease in Caucasians: a study of 22 patients. Eur J Neurol 2007;14:174-180.
- Lakhanpal S, Tani K, Lie JT, Katoh K, Ishigatsubo Y, Ohokubo T: Pathologic features of Behçet's syndrome: a review of Japanese autopsy registry data. Hum Pathol 1985;16:790-795.
- Al-Araji A, Kidd DP: Neuro-Behçet's disease: epidemiology, clinical characteristics, and management. Lancet Neurol 2009;8:192-204.
- Borhani Haghighi A, Pourmand R, Nikseresht AR: Neuro-Behçet disease. A review. Neurologist 2005;11:80-89.
- Borhani-Haghighi A, Samangooie S, Ashjazadeh N, Nikseresht A, Shariat A, Yousefipour G, Safari A: Neurological manifestations of Behçet's disease. Saudi Med J 2006;27:1542-1546.
- Hirohata S: Histopathology of central nervous system lesions in Behçet's disease. J Neurol Sci 2008;267:41-47.
- Motomura S, Tabira T, Kuroiwa Y: A clinical comparative study of multiple sclerosis and neuro-Behçet's syndrome. J Neurol Neurosurg Psychiatry 1980;43:210-213.
- Serdaroglu P, Yazici H, Ozdemir C, Yurdakul S, Bahar S, Aktin E: Neurologic involvement in Behçet's syndrome. A prospective study. Arch Neurol 1989;46:265-269.
- Coban O, Bahar S, Akman-Demir G, Taşci B, Yurdakul S, Yazici H, Serdaroğlu P: Masked assessment of MRI findings: is it possible to differentiate neuro-Behçet's disease from other central nervous system diseases? Neuroradiology 1999;41:255-260.
- Borhani Haghighi A, Sarhadi S, Farahangiz S: MRI findings of neuro-Behçet's disease. Clin Rheumatol 2011;30:765-770.
- Akman-Demir G, Bahar S, Coban O, Tasci B, Serdaroglu P: Cranial MRI in Behçet's disease: 134 examinations of 98 patients. Neuroradiology 2003;45:851-859.
- Albayram S, Saip S, Hasiloglu ZI, Teke M, Ceyhan E, Tutuncu M, Selcuk H, Kina A, Siva A: Evaluation of parenchymal neuro-Behçet disease by using susceptibility-weighted imaging. AJNR Am J Neuroradiol 2011;32:1050-1055.
- Akman-Demir G, Serdaroglu P, Tasçi B: Clinical patterns of neurological involvement in Behçet's disease: evaluation of 200 patients. The Neuro-Behçet Study Group. Brain 1999;122:2171-2182.
- Sakurai N, Koike Y, Kaneoke Y, Yasuda T, Takahashi A: Sleep apnea and palatal myoclonus in a patient with neuro-Behçet syndrome. Intern Med 1993;32:336-339.
- Wechsler B, Vidailhet M, Piette JC, Bousser MG, Dell Isola B, Blétry O, Godeau P: Cerebral venous thrombosis in Behçet's disease: clinical study and long-term follow-up of 25 cases. Neurology 1992;42:614-618.
- International Study Group for Behçet's disease: Criteria for diagnosis of Behçet's disease. Lancet Neurol 1990;335:1078-1080.
- The International Study Group for Behçet's disease: Evaluation of diagnostic (‘classification') criteria in Behçet's disease - towards internationally agreed criteria. Br J Rheumatol 1992;31:299-308.
- Siva A, Saip S: The spectrum of nervous system involvement in Behçet's syndrome and its differential diagnosis. J Neurol 2009;256:513-529.
- Berry RB, Budhiraja R, Gottlieb DJ, Gozal D, Iber C, Kapur VK, Marcus CL, Mehra R, Parthasarathy S, Quan SF, Redline S, Strohl KP, Ward SL, Tangredi MM: Rules for Scoring Respiratory Events in Sleep: update of the 2007 AASM Manual for the Scoring of Sleep and Associated Events: Deliberations of the Sleep Apnea Definitions Task Force of the American Academy of Sleep Medicine. J Clin Sleep Med 2012;8:597-619.
- Allen RP, Picchietti D, Hening WA, Trenkwalder C, Walters AS, Montplaisi J, Restless Legs Syndrome Diagnosis and Epidemiology workshop at the National Institutes of Health; International Restless Legs Syndrome Study Group: Restless legs syndrome: diagnostic criteria, special considerations, and epidemiology. A report from the restless legs syndrome diagnosis and epidemiology workshop at the National Institutes of Health. Sleep Med 2003;4:101-119.
Akar Z, Hanci M, Kaynar YM, Uzan M, Kuday C: Neuro-Behçet's disease: progressively enlarging temporal mass. J Ankara Med Sch 1992;14:295-300.
- Kocer N, Islak C, Siva A, Saip S, Akman C, Kantarci O, Hamuryudan V: CNS involvement in neuro-Behçet syndrome: an MR study. AJNR Am J Neuroradiol 1999;20:1015-1024.
- Ghorayeb I, Bioulac B, Tison F: Sleep disorders in multiple system atrophy. J Neural Transm 2005;112:1669-1675.
- Braley TJ, Segal BM, Chervin RD: Sleep-disordered breathing in multiple sclerosis. Neurology 2012;79:929-936.
- Lai YY, Hsieh KC, Nguyen D, Peever J, Siegel JM: Neurotoxic lesions at the ventral mesopontine junction change sleep time and muscle activity during sleep: an animal model of motor disorders in sleep. Neuroscience 2008;154:431-443.
- Tascilar NF, Tekin NS, Ankarali H, Sezer T, Atik L, Emre U, Duysak S, Cinar F: Sleep disorders in Behçet's disease, and their relationship with fatigue and quality of life. J Sleep Res 2012;21:281-288.
Article / Publication Details
Copyright / Drug Dosage / DisclaimerCopyright: All rights reserved. No part of this publication may be translated into other languages, reproduced or utilized in any form or by any means, electronic or mechanical, including photocopying, recording, microcopying, or by any information storage and retrieval system, without permission in writing from the publisher.
Drug Dosage: The authors and the publisher have exerted every effort to ensure that drug selection and dosage set forth in this text are in accord with current recommendations and practice at the time of publication. However, in view of ongoing research, changes in government regulations, and the constant flow of information relating to drug therapy and drug reactions, the reader is urged to check the package insert for each drug for any changes in indications and dosage and for added warnings and precautions. This is particularly important when the recommended agent is a new and/or infrequently employed drug.
Disclaimer: The statements, opinions and data contained in this publication are solely those of the individual authors and contributors and not of the publishers and the editor(s). The appearance of advertisements or/and product references in the publication is not a warranty, endorsement, or approval of the products or services advertised or of their effectiveness, quality or safety. The publisher and the editor(s) disclaim responsibility for any injury to persons or property resulting from any ideas, methods, instructions or products referred to in the content or advertisements.