Endotoxin Removal: Bringing the Mission to North AmericaFoster D.a · Klein D.J.b · Guadagni G.a · Walker P.M.a
aSpectral Diagnostics Inc., bDepartment of Critical Care, and the Keenan Research Centre, Li Ka Shing Knowledge Institute, St. Michael's Hospital, University of Toronto, Toronto, Ont., Canada
Do you have an account?
- Rent for 48h to view
- Buy Cloud Access for unlimited viewing via different devices
- Synchronizing in the ReadCube Cloud
- Printing and saving restrictions apply
Rental: USD 8.50
Cloud: USD 20.00
The EUPHRATES trial (Evaluating Use of Polymyxin B Hemoperfusion in a Randomized Controlled Trial of Adults Treated for Endotoxemia and Septic Shock) is the first biomarker-driven trial in sepsis. This unique trial is being run in a blinded manner, further contributing to the robustness of its design. This paper will describe the implementation of the EUPHRATES trial focusing on 3 pertinent features: (1) managing (and maintaining) the blinding of a medical device trial; (2) impact of the use of a diagnostic test where eligible subjects with septic shock must also have high levels of endotoxin (≥0.60 EAA units), and (3) managing enrolment in a complicated trial design where two medical teams are involved (the intensivist as the blinded caregiver and nephrologists as the unblinded performers of the intervention). The study is nearing the halfway mark and is currently experiencing excellent recruitment success.
© 2014 S. Karger AG, Basel
- Vincent JL, Laterre PF, Cohen J, et al: A pilot-controlled study of a polymyxin B-immobilized hemoperfusion cartridge in patients with severe sepsis secondary to intra-abdominal infection. Shock 2005;23:400-405.
- Antonelli M, Fumagalli R, Cruz DN, et al: PMX endotoxin removal in the clinical practice: results from the EUPHAS trial. Contrib Nephrol 2010;167:83-90.
- Bernard GR, Vincent JL, Laterre PF, et al: Efficacy and safety of recombinant human activated protein C for severe sepsis. N Engl J Med 2001:344:699-709.
- Laterre PF, Abraham E, Janes JM, et al: ADDRESS trial (ADministration of DRotrecogin alfa [activated] in Early stage Severe Sepsis) long-term follow-up: one-year safety and efficacy evaluation. Crit Care Med 2007;35:1457-1463.
- Opal SM, Laterre PF, Francois B, et al: Effect of eritoran, an antagonist of MD2-TLR4, on mortality in patients with severe sepsis: the ACCESS randomized trial. JAMA 2013;20;309:1154-1162.
- Dellinger RP, Levy MM, Rhodes A, et al: Surviving sepsis campaign: international guidelines for the management of severe sepsis and septic shock: 2012. Crit Care Med 2013;41:580-637.
Article / Publication Details
Copyright / Drug Dosage / DisclaimerCopyright: All rights reserved. No part of this publication may be translated into other languages, reproduced or utilized in any form or by any means, electronic or mechanical, including photocopying, recording, microcopying, or by any information storage and retrieval system, without permission in writing from the publisher.
Drug Dosage: The authors and the publisher have exerted every effort to ensure that drug selection and dosage set forth in this text are in accord with current recommendations and practice at the time of publication. However, in view of ongoing research, changes in government regulations, and the constant flow of information relating to drug therapy and drug reactions, the reader is urged to check the package insert for each drug for any changes in indications and dosage and for added warnings and precautions. This is particularly important when the recommended agent is a new and/or infrequently employed drug.
Disclaimer: The statements, opinions and data contained in this publication are solely those of the individual authors and contributors and not of the publishers and the editor(s). The appearance of advertisements or/and product references in the publication is not a warranty, endorsement, or approval of the products or services advertised or of their effectiveness, quality or safety. The publisher and the editor(s) disclaim responsibility for any injury to persons or property resulting from any ideas, methods, instructions or products referred to in the content or advertisements.