Evaluation of Neuroimmunomodulatory Activity of Recombinant Human Interferon αMehta S. · Mukherjee S. · Balasubramanian D. · Chowdhary A.
Department of Virology and Immunology, Haffkine Institute, Mumbai, India
Do you have an account?
- Rent for 48h to view
- Buy Cloud Access for unlimited viewing via different devices
- Synchronizing in the ReadCube Cloud
- Printing and saving restrictions apply
Rental: USD 8.50
Cloud: USD 20.00
Article / Publication Details
Objective: Recombinant human interferon (rhIFN)-α is a potent immunoregulator having a wide range of therapeutic applications. In the present study, rhIFN-α was evaluated for its neuroimmunomodulatory activity. Method: Dose-dependent gene expression of cytokines and chemokines in the brain of rhIFN-administered mice was studied using real-time SYBR green PCR. Results: Statistically significant increase in expression levels of tumor necrosis factor-α, interleukin (IL)-6, IL-1β and IFN-γ were observed. Conclusion: The findings indicate that rhIFN-α may be used at an optimized dose to cause appropriate neuromodulation of cytokine/chemokine secretion that can aid in the development of therapeutic approaches for many infectious diseases of the central nervous system for which therapies are lacking.
© 2014 S. Karger AG, Basel
Patil U, Jaydeokar A, Bandawane D: Immunomodulators: a pharmacological review. Int J Pharm Pharm Sci 2012;4:30-36.
Saroj P, Verma M, Jha K: An overview on immunomodulation. J Adv Sci Res 2012;3:7-12.
- Spelman K, Burns J, Nichols D, Winters N, Ottersberg S, Tenborg M: Modulation of cytokine expression by traditional medicines: a review of herbal immunomodulators. Altern Med Rev 2006;11:128-150.
- Silin DS, Lyubomska OV, Ershov FI, Frolov VM, Kutsyna GA: Synthetic and natural immunomodulators acting as interferon inducers. Curr Pharm Des 2009;15:1238-1247.
- Dinarello CA: Proinflammatory cytokines. Chest 2000;118:503-508.
- Opal SM, DePalo VA: Anti-inflammatory cytokines. Chest 2000;117:1162-1172.
Pitha PM: Interferon: The 50th Anniversary. New York, Springer, 2007.
- Reyes-Vazquez C, Prieto-Gomez B, Dafny N: Interferon modulates central nervous system function. Brain Res 2012;1442:76-89.
- Goodbourn S, Didcock L, Randall R: Interferons: cell signalling, immune modulation, antiviral response and virus countermeasures. J Gen Virol 2000;81:2341-2364.
- Dafny N: Is interferon-α a neuromodulator? Brain Res Brain Res Rev 1998;26:1-15.
- Brassard DL, Grace MJ, Bordens RW: Interferon-α as an immunotherapeutic protein. J Leukoc Biol 2002;71:565-581.
- McNamara LA, Collins KL: Interferon alfa therapy: toward an improved treatment for HIV infection. J Infect Dis 2013;207:201-203.
- Quesada JR, Alexanian R, Hawkins M, Barlogie B, Borden E, Itri L, Gutterman JU: Treatment of multiple myeloma with recombinant alpha-interferon. Blood 1986;67:275-278.
- Jacobs AD, Champlin RE, Golde DW: Recombinant alpha-2-interferon for hairy cell leukemia. Blood 1985;65:1017-1020.
- Quesada JR, Hersh EM, Manning J, Reuben J, Keating M, Schnipper E, Itri L, Gutterman J: Treatment of hairy cell leukemia with recombinant alpha-interferon. Blood 1986;68:493-497.
- Ratain MJ, Golomb HM, Vardiman JW, Vokes EE, Jacobs RH, Daly K: Treatment of hairy cell leukemia with recombinant alpha 2 interferon. Blood 1985;65:644-648.
- Antman K, Chang Y: Kaposi's sarcoma. N Engl J Med 2000;342:1027-1038.
- Cutler A, Brombacher F: Cytokine therapy. Ann NY Acad Sci 2005;1056:16-29.
- Capuron L, Neurauter G, Musselman DL, Lawson DH, Nemeroff CB, Fuchs D, Miller AH: Interferon-alpha-induced changes in tryptophan metabolism: relationship to depression and paroxetine treatment. Biol Psychiatry 2003;54:906-914.
- Zdilar D, Franco-Bronson K, Buchler N, Locala JA, Younossi ZM: Hepatitis C, interferon alfa, and depression. Hepatology 2000;31:1207-1211.
- Livak KJ, Schmittgen TD: Analysis of relative gene expression data using real-time quantitative PCR and the 2(-delta delta C(T)) method. Methods 2001;25:402-408.
- Schmittgen TD, Livak KJ: Analyzing real-time PCR data by the comparative C(T) method. Nat Protoc 2008;3:1101-1108.
- Kim HC, Kang BH, Ha CS, Han SS, Roh JK: A 4-week subcutaneous toxicity study of recombinant human interferon alpha A (LBD-007) in Sprague-Dawley rats. J Toxicol Sci 1993;18(suppl 2):43-56.
- Kim HC, Kang BH, Ha CS, Han SS, Roh JK: A 6-month subcutaneous toxicity study of recombinant human interferon alpha A (LBD-007) in Sprague-Dawley rats. J Toxicol Sci 1993;18(suppl 2):57-76.
- Kim HC, Kang BH, Ha CS, Han SS, Roh JK: An acute toxicity study of recombinant human interferon alpha A (LBD-007) in Sprague-Dawley rats. J Toxicol Sci 1993;18(suppl 2):37-42.
- Park JI, Han SS, Roh JK, Paik SG: A study on antigenicity of recombinant human interferon alpha A (LBD-007) in mice and guinea pigs. J Toxicol Sci 1993;18(suppl 2):77-82.
- Sorgeloos F, Kreit M, Hermant P, Lardinois C, Michiels T: Antiviral type I and type III interferon responses in the central nervous system. Viruses 2013;5:834-857.
- Akira S, Hirano T, Taga T, Kishimoto T: Biology of multifunctional cytokines: IL 6 and related molecules (IL 1 and TNF). FASEB J 1990;4:2860-2867.
- Tracey KJ, Cerami A: Tumor necrosis factor: a pleiotropic cytokine and therapeutic target. Annu Rev Med 1994;45:491-503.
Guzmán C, Hallal-Calleros C, López-Griego L, Morales-Montor J: Interleukin-6: a cytokine with a pleiotropic role in the neuroimmunoendocrine network. Open Neuroendocrinol J 2010;3:152-160.
- Kuang Y, Lackay SN, Zhao L, Fu ZF: Role of chemokines in the enhancement of BBB permeability and inflammatory infiltration after rabies virus infection. Virus Res 2009;144:18-26.
- Wang ZW, Sarmento L, Wang Y, Li XQ, Dhingra V, Tseggai T, Jiang B, Fu ZF: Attenuated rabies virus activates, while pathogenic rabies virus evades, the host innate immune responses in the central nervous system. J Virol 2005;79:12554-12565.
- Roy A, Phares TW, Koprowski H, Hooper DC: Failure to open the blood-brain barrier and deliver immune effectors to central nervous system tissues leads to the lethal outcome of silver-haired bat rabies virus infection. J Virol 2007;81:1110-1118.
- Sergerie Y, Rivest S, Boivin G: Tumor necrosis factor-alpha and interleukin-1 beta play a critical role in the resistance against lethal herpes simplex virus encephalitis. J Infect Dis 2007;196:853-860.
- Ramos HJ, Lanteri MC, Blahnik G, Negash A, Suthar MS, Brassil MM, Sodhi K, Treuting PM, Busch MP, Norris PJ, Gale M Jr: IL-1β signaling promotes CNS-intrinsic immune control of West Nile virus infection. PLoS Pathog 2012;8:e1003039.
- Lee E, Chanamara S, Pleasure D, Soulika AM: IFN-gamma signaling in the central nervous system controls the course of experimental autoimmune encephalomyelitis independently of the localization and composition of inflammatory foci. J Neuroinflammation 2012;9:7.
Sanvito L, Constantinescu CS, Gran B, Hart B: The multifaceted role of interferon-γ in central nervous system autoimmune demyelination. Open Autoimmun J 2010;2:151-159.
- Musante V, Longordo F, Neri E, Pedrazzi M, Kalfas F, Severi P, Raiteri M, Pittaluga A: RANTES modulates the release of glutamate in human neocortex. J Neurosci 2008;28:12231-12240.
Jackson AC: Advances in Virus Research. New York, Academic Press, 2011.
- Janis B, Habel K: Rabies in rabbits and mice: protective effect of polyriboinosinic-polyribocytidylic acid. J Infect Dis 1972;125:345-352.
Tohamy AA, Fahmy AM, Dkhil MA, M. DMS: Protective role of interferon against cytotoxicity induced by rabies virus in mice. Afr J Biotechnol 2010;9:1097-1105.
- Hilfenhaus J, Karges HE, Weinmann E, Barth R: Effect of administered human interferon on experimental rabies in monkeys. Infect Immun 1975;11:1156-1158.
- Hunter CA, Abrams JS, Beaman MH, Remington JS: Cytokine mRNA in the central nervous system of SCID mice infected with Toxoplasma gondii: importance of T-cell-independent regulation of resistance to T. gondii. Infect Immun 1993;61:4038-4044.
- Aguirre K, Havell EA, Gibson GW, Johnson LL: Role of tumor necrosis factor and gamma interferon in acquired resistance to Cryptococcus neoformans in the central nervous system of mice. Infect Immun 1995;63:1725-1731.
- Decker T, Muller M, Stockinger S: The yin and yang of type I interferon activity in bacterial infection. Nat Rev Immunol 2005;5:675-687.
- Kielian T, Hickey WF: Proinflammatory cytokine, chemokine, and cellular adhesion molecule expression during the acute phase of experimental brain abscess development. Am J Pathol 2000;157:647-658.
Article / Publication Details
Copyright / Drug Dosage / DisclaimerCopyright: All rights reserved. No part of this publication may be translated into other languages, reproduced or utilized in any form or by any means, electronic or mechanical, including photocopying, recording, microcopying, or by any information storage and retrieval system, without permission in writing from the publisher.
Drug Dosage: The authors and the publisher have exerted every effort to ensure that drug selection and dosage set forth in this text are in accord with current recommendations and practice at the time of publication. However, in view of ongoing research, changes in government regulations, and the constant flow of information relating to drug therapy and drug reactions, the reader is urged to check the package insert for each drug for any changes in indications and dosage and for added warnings and precautions. This is particularly important when the recommended agent is a new and/or infrequently employed drug.
Disclaimer: The statements, opinions and data contained in this publication are solely those of the individual authors and contributors and not of the publishers and the editor(s). The appearance of advertisements or/and product references in the publication is not a warranty, endorsement, or approval of the products or services advertised or of their effectiveness, quality or safety. The publisher and the editor(s) disclaim responsibility for any injury to persons or property resulting from any ideas, methods, instructions or products referred to in the content or advertisements.