Allogeneic Stem-Cell Transplantation for Peripheral T-Cell Lymphoma: A Systemic Review and Meta-AnalysisWei J. · Xu J. · Cao Y. · Zhou J. · Zhang Y.
Department of Hematology, Tongji Hospital, Tongji Medical College, Huazhong University of Science and Technology, Wuhan, China
Do you have an account?
- Rent for 48h to view
- Buy Cloud Access for unlimited viewing via different devices
- Synchronizing in the ReadCube Cloud
- Printing and saving restrictions apply
Rental: USD 8.50
Cloud: USD 20.00
Article / Publication Details
Peripheral T-cell lymphoma (PTCL) comprises a heterogeneous group of mature T-cell tumors with a poor prognosis; allogeneic stem cell transplantation (allo-SCT) may offer a potential way of cure for these patients though the optimal type and timing of transplantation remain to be defined. We performed a systemic review and meta-analysis examining the efficacy and safety of allo-SCT for PTCL. The pooled 3-year overall survival (OS) of PTCL patients treated with allo-SCT was 49.6% (95% confidence interval, CI: 41.7-57.5%). A meta-analysis of 3-year OS in allo-SCT and autologous SCT (auto-SCT) showed no statistical difference. The rates of pooled acute graft-versus-host disease (GVHD; grade 2/4) and chronic GVHD were 26.7% (95% CI: 21.4-32.9%) and 29.9% (95% CI: 24.3-36.1%), respectively. The pooled 100-day treatment-related mortality was 24.2% (95% CI: 17.2-33.0%). Of the total study patients (n = 299), 48.5% were reported dead after allo-hematopoietic SCT, with disease progression as the first cause of death in PTCL patients. Although most studies included were retrospective and their sample size was small, existing data suggested that the group of PTCL patients receiving allo-SCT was to a great degree homogeneous regarding OS, mortality without relapse, death rate and the incidence of GVHD. The most common cause of death was disease progression. The present data did not show a difference in OS between allo- and auto-SCT in PTCL patients, but large prospective studies are needed to provide a more comprehensive understanding of the role of allo-SCT in the treatment of PTCL patients. © 2014 S. Karger AG, Basel
© 2014 S. Karger AG, Basel
- Abouyabis AN, Shenoy PJ, Sinha R, Flowers CR, Lechowicz MJ: A systematic review and meta-analysis of front-line anthracycline-based chemotherapy regimens for peripheral T-cell lymphoma. ISRN Hematol 2011;2011:623924.
- Coiffier B, Brousse N, Peuchmaur M, Berger F, Gisselbrecht C, Bryon PA, Diebold J: Peripheral T-cell lymphomas have a worse prognosis than B-cell lymphomas: a prospective study of 361 immunophenotyped patients treated with the LNH-84 regimen. The GELA (Groupe d'Etude des Lymphomes Agressives). Ann Oncol 1990;1:45-50.
- Gisselbrecht C, Gaulard P, Lepage E, Coiffier B, Briere J, Haioun C, Cazals-Hatem D, Bosly A, Xerri L, Tilly H, Berger F, Bouhabdallah R, Diebold J: Prognostic significance of T-cell phenotype in aggressive non-Hodgkin's lymphomas. Groupe d'Etudes des Lymphomes de l'Adulte (GELA). Blood 1998;92:76-82.
- A clinical evaluation of the International Lymphoma Study Group classification of non-Hodgkin's lymphoma. The Non-Hodgkin's Lymphoma Classification Project. Blood 1997;89:3909-3918.
- Gisselbrecht C, Lepage E, Molina T, Quesnel B, Fillet G, Lederlin P, Coiffier B, Tilly H, Gabarre J, Guilmin F, Hermine O, Reyes F: Shortened first-line high-dose chemotherapy for patients with poor-prognosis aggressive lymphoma. J Clin Oncol 2002;20:2472-2479.
- Haioun C, Lepage E, Gisselbrecht C, Salles G, Coiffier B, Brice P, Bosly A, Morel P, Nouvel C, Tilly H, Lederlin P, Sebban C, Briere J, Gaulard P, Reyes F: Survival benefit of high-dose therapy in poor-risk aggressive non-Hodgkin's lymphoma: final analysis of the prospective LNH87-2 protocol - a Groupe d'Etude des Lymphomes de l'Adulte study. J Clin Oncol 2000;18:3025-3030.
- Mounier N, Simon D, Haioun C, Gaulard P, Gisselbrecht C: Impact of high-dose chemotherapy on peripheral T-cell lymphomas. J Clin Oncol 2002;20:1426-1427.
- Chanan-Khan A, Islam T, Alam A, Miller KC, Gibbs J, Barcos M, Czuczman MS, Paplham P, Hahn T, McCarthy P: Long-term survival with allogeneic stem cell transplant and donor lymphocyte infusion following salvage therapy with anti-CD52 monoclonal antibody (Campath) in a patient with alpha/beta hepatosplenic T-cell non-Hodgkin's lymphoma. Leuk Lymphoma 2004;45:1673-1675.
- Corradini P, Dodero A, Zallio F, Caracciolo D, Casini M, Bregni M, Narni F, Patriarca F, Boccadoro M, Benedetti F, Rambaldi A, Gianni AM, Tarella C: Graft-versus-lymphoma effect in relapsed peripheral T-cell non-Hodgkin's lymphomas after reduced-intensity conditioning followed by allogeneic transplantation of hematopoietic cells. J Clin Oncol 2004;22:2172-2176.
- Wulf GG, Hasenkamp J, Jung W, Chapuy B, Truemper L, Glass B: Reduced intensity conditioning and allogeneic stem cell transplantation after salvage therapy integrating alemtuzumab for patients with relapsed peripheral T-cell non-Hodgkin's lymphoma. Bone Marrow Transplant 2005;36:271-273.
- DerSimonian R, Laird N: Meta-analysis in clinical trials. Control Clin Trials 1986;7:177-188.
- Mantel N, Haenszel W: Statistical aspects of the analysis of data from retrospective studies of disease. J Natl Cancer Inst 1959;22:719-748.
- Le Gouill S, Milpied N, Buzyn A, De Latour RP, Vernant JP, Mohty M, Moles MP, Bouabdallah K, Bulabois CE, Dupuis J, Rio B, Gratecos N, Yakoub-Agha I, Attal M, Tournilhac O, Decaudin D, Bourhis JH, Blaise D, Volteau C, Michallet M: Graft-versus-lymphoma effect for aggressive T-cell lymphomas in adults: a study by the Société Française de Greffe de Moëlle et de Thérapie Cellulaire. J Clin Oncol 2008;26:2264-2271.
- Kyriakou C, Canals C, Finke J, Kobbe G, Harousseau JL, Kolb HJ, Novitzky N, Goldstone AH, Sureda A, Schmitz N: Allogeneic stem cell transplantation is able to induce long-term remissions in angioimmunoblastic T-cell lymphoma: a retrospective study from the lymphoma working party of the European group for blood and marrow transplantation. J Clin Oncol 2009;27:3951-3958.
- Goldberg JD, Chou JF, Horwitz S, Teruya-Feldstein J, Barker JN, Boulad F, Castro-Malaspina H, Giralt S, Jakubowski AA, Koehne G, van den Brink MR, Young JW, Zhang Z, Papadopoulos EB, Perales MA: Long-term survival in patients with peripheral T-cell non-Hodgkin lymphomas after allogeneic hematopoietic stem cell transplant. Leuk Lymphoma 2012;53:1124-1129.
- Dodero A, Spina F, Narni F, Patriarca F, Cavattoni I, Benedetti F, Ciceri F, Baronciani D, Scime R, Pogliani E, Rambaldi A, Bonifazi F, Dalto S, Bruno B, Corradini P: Allogeneic transplantation following a reduced-intensity conditioning regimen in relapsed/refractory peripheral T-cell lymphomas: long-term remissions and response to donor lymphocyte infusions support the role of a graft-versus-lymphoma effect. Leukemia 2012;26:520-526.
- Jacobsen ED, Kim HT, Ho VT, Cutler CS, Koreth J, Fisher DC, Armand P, Alyea EP, Freedman AS, Soiffer RJ, Antin JH: A large single-center experience with allogeneic stem-cell transplantation for peripheral T-cell non-Hodgkin lymphoma and advanced mycosis fungoides/Sézary syndrome. Ann Oncol 2011; 22:1608-1613.
- Woessmann W, Peters C, Lenhard M, Burkhardt B, Sykora KW, Dilloo D, Kremens B, Lang P, Fuhrer M, Kuhne T, Parwaresch R, Ebell W, Reiter A: Allogeneic haematopoietic stem cell transplantation in relapsed or refractory anaplastic large cell lymphoma of children and adolescents - a Berlin-Frankfurt-Münster group report. Br J Haematol 2006;133:176-182.
- Hamadani M, Awan FT, Elder P, Lin TS, Porcu P, Blum KA, Devine SM: Allogeneic hematopoietic stem cell transplantation for peripheral T cell lymphomas; evidence of graft-versus-T cell lymphoma effect. Biol Blood Marrow Transplant 2008;14:480-483.
- Rodriguez J, Munsell M, Yazji S, Hagemeister FB, Younes A, Andersson B, Giralt S, Gajewski J, de Lima M, Couriel D, Romaguera J, Cabanillas FF, Champlin RE, Khouri IF: Impact of high-dose chemotherapy on peripheral T-cell lymphomas. J Clin Oncol 2001;19:3766-3770.
- Feyler S, Prince HM, Pearce R, Towlson K, Nivison-Smith I, Schey S, Gibson J, Patton N, Bradstock K, Marks DI, Cook G: The role of high-dose therapy and stem cell rescue in the management of T-cell malignant lymphomas: a BSBMT and ABMTRR study. Bone Marrow Transplant 2007;40:443-450.
- Kahl C, Leithauser M, Wolff D, Steiner B, Hartung G, Casper J, Freund M: Treatment of peripheral T-cell lymphomas (PTCL) with high-dose chemotherapy and autologous or allogeneic hematopoietic transplantation. Ann Hematol 2002;81:646-650.
- Hwang WY, Koh LP, Lim ST, Linn YC, Loh YS, Koh MB, Diong CP, Lee JJ, Zhang XH, Rajgor D, Gandhi M, Shah A, Goh YT: Multicenter study of comparative outcomes of hematopoietic stem cell transplant for peripheral T cell lymphoma and natural killer/T-cell lymphoma. Leuk Lymphoma 2011;52:1382-1386.
- Reimer P: Impact of autologous and allogeneic stem cell transplantation in peripheral T-cell lymphomas. Adv Hematol 2010;2010:320624.
- Abouyabis AN, Shenoy PJ, Lechowicz MJ, Flowers CR: Stem cell transplantation as a biological therapy for peripheral T-cell lymphomas. Expert Opin Biol Ther 2011;11:31-40.
- Enblad G, Hagberg H, Erlanson M, Lundin J, MacDonald AP, Repp R, Schetelig J, Seipelt G, Osterborg A: A pilot study of alemtuzumab (anti-CD52 monoclonal antibody) therapy for patients with relapsed or chemotherapy-refractory peripheral T-cell lymphomas. Blood 2004;103:2920-2924.
- Hagberg H, Pettersson M, Bjerner T, Enblad G: Treatment of a patient with a nodal peripheral T-cell lymphoma (angioimmunoblastic T-cell lymphoma) with a human monoclonal antibody against the CD4 antigen (HuMax-CD4). Med Oncol 2005;22:191-194.
- Kim SJ, Kim K, Park Y, Kim BS, Huh J, Ko YH, Park K, Suh C, Kim WS: Dose modification of alemtuzumab in combination with dexamethasone, cytarabine, and cisplatin in patients with relapsed or refractory peripheral T-cell lymphoma: analysis of efficacy and toxicity. Invest New Drugs 2012;30:368-375.
- Talpur R, Apisarnthanarax N, Ward S, Duvic M: Treatment of refractory peripheral T-cell lymphoma with denileukin diftitox (ONTAK). Leuk Lymphoma 2002;43:121-126.
- Wong BY, Ma Y, Fitzwilson R, Dang NH: De novo maintenance therapy with denileukin diftitox (Ontak) in a patient with peripheral T-cell lymphoma is associated with prolonged remission. Am J Hematol 2008;83:596-598.
- Yin J, Wei J, Xu JH, Xiao Y, Zhang YC: Autologous stem cell transplantation as the first-line treatment for peripheral T cell lymphoma: results of a comprehensive meta-analysis. Acta Haematol 2014;131:114-125.
- Gurion R: Systematic review and meta-analysis of autologous stem cell transplantation in peripheral T cell lymphoma. Acta Haematol 2014;131:112-113.
Article / Publication Details
Copyright / Drug Dosage / DisclaimerCopyright: All rights reserved. No part of this publication may be translated into other languages, reproduced or utilized in any form or by any means, electronic or mechanical, including photocopying, recording, microcopying, or by any information storage and retrieval system, without permission in writing from the publisher.
Drug Dosage: The authors and the publisher have exerted every effort to ensure that drug selection and dosage set forth in this text are in accord with current recommendations and practice at the time of publication. However, in view of ongoing research, changes in government regulations, and the constant flow of information relating to drug therapy and drug reactions, the reader is urged to check the package insert for each drug for any changes in indications and dosage and for added warnings and precautions. This is particularly important when the recommended agent is a new and/or infrequently employed drug.
Disclaimer: The statements, opinions and data contained in this publication are solely those of the individual authors and contributors and not of the publishers and the editor(s). The appearance of advertisements or/and product references in the publication is not a warranty, endorsement, or approval of the products or services advertised or of their effectiveness, quality or safety. The publisher and the editor(s) disclaim responsibility for any injury to persons or property resulting from any ideas, methods, instructions or products referred to in the content or advertisements.