Most Common Allergic Diseases: Historical Reflections in Understanding
Allergy and the EyeBonini S.
Department of Medicine, Second University of Naples, Naples, and Institute of Translational Pharmacology, Italian National Research Council, Rome, Italy
Do you have an account?
- Rent for 48h to view
- Buy Cloud Access for unlimited viewing via different devices
- Synchronizing in the ReadCube Cloud
- Printing and saving restrictions apply
Rental: USD 8.50
Cloud: USD 20.00
This review of the major milestones in the history of ocular allergy and immunology shows how significantly this subdiscipline has contributed to the tremendous progress in the understanding of mechanisms of allergic and immunologic diseases, as well as in their better management. It also indicates unmet needs and priority areas for future research.
© 2014 S. Karger AG, Basel
- Bostock J: Case of a periodical affection of the eyes and chest. Med Chir Trans 1819;10:161-165.
Blackley C: Experimental Researches on the Causes and Nature of Catarrhus Aestivus. London, Balliere & Tindall, 1873.
D'Amato G, Bonini S, Bousquet J, Durham SR, Platts-Mills TAE (eds): Pollenosis 2000: Global Approach. Naples, JGC Editions, 2001.
Coombs RRA, Gell PGH: The classification of allergic reactions underlying disease; in Gell PGH, Coombs RRA (eds): Clinical Aspects of Immunology. Philadelphia, Davis, 1963, p 317.
Allansmith MR: The Eye and Immunology. St Louis, Mosby, 1982.
- Bonini S, Bonini S, Berruto A, Tomassini M, Carlesimo S, Bucci MG, Balsano F: Conjunctival provocation test as a model for the study of allergy and inflammation in humans. Int Arch Allergy Appl Immunol 1989;88:144-148.
- Bonini S, Bonini S, Bucci MG, Berruto A, Adriani E, Balsano F, Allansmith MR: Allergen dose response and late symptoms in a human model of ocular allergy. J Allergy Clin Immunol 1990;86:869-876.
- Bonini S, Bonini S, Schiavone M, Centofanti M, Allansmith MR, Bucci MG: Conjunctival hyperresponsiveness to ocular histamine challenge in patients with vernal conjunctivitis. J Allergy Clin Immunol 1992;89:103-107.
- Bielory L, Bonini S, Bonini S: Allergic eye disorders; in Zweiman B, Schwartz LB: (eds): Inflammatory Mechanisms in Allergic Disease. New York, Dekker, 2002, pp 311-323.
- Silverstein AM: Ocular immunology: on the birth of a new discipline. Cell Immunol 1991;136:504-518.
- McGonagle D, Georgouli T: The importance of the ‘Mechnikov's thorn' for an improved understanding of 21st century medicine and immunology: a view from the eye. Scand J Immunol 2008;68:129-139.
- Abelson MB: Conjunctival allergen challenge: models in the investigation of ocular allergy. Curr Allergy Asthma Rep 2003;3:363-368.
- Bonini S, Bonini S, Vecchione A, Naim DM, Allansmith MR, Balsano F: Inflammatory changes in conjunctival scrapings after allergen provocation in humans. J Allergy Clin Immunol 1988;82:462-469.
- Bielory L: Allergic conjunctivitis: the evolution of therapeutic options. Allergy Asthma Proc 2012;17:129-139.
Noon L: Prophylactic inoculation against hayfever. Lancet 1911;i:1572-1574.
- Mantelli F, Lambiase A, Bonini S, Bonini S: Clinical trials of allergic conjunctivitis: a systematic review. Allergy 2011;66:919-924.
Article / Publication Details
Copyright / Drug Dosage / DisclaimerCopyright: All rights reserved. No part of this publication may be translated into other languages, reproduced or utilized in any form or by any means, electronic or mechanical, including photocopying, recording, microcopying, or by any information storage and retrieval system, without permission in writing from the publisher.
Drug Dosage: The authors and the publisher have exerted every effort to ensure that drug selection and dosage set forth in this text are in accord with current recommendations and practice at the time of publication. However, in view of ongoing research, changes in government regulations, and the constant flow of information relating to drug therapy and drug reactions, the reader is urged to check the package insert for each drug for any changes in indications and dosage and for added warnings and precautions. This is particularly important when the recommended agent is a new and/or infrequently employed drug.
Disclaimer: The statements, opinions and data contained in this publication are solely those of the individual authors and contributors and not of the publishers and the editor(s). The appearance of advertisements or/and product references in the publication is not a warranty, endorsement, or approval of the products or services advertised or of their effectiveness, quality or safety. The publisher and the editor(s) disclaim responsibility for any injury to persons or property resulting from any ideas, methods, instructions or products referred to in the content or advertisements.