Survivorship in Adolescents and Young AdultsKishtagari A. · Tavakkoli M. · Park J.H.
Leukemia Service, Department of Medicine, Memorial Sloan-Kettering Cancer Center, New York, N.Y., USA
Do you have an account?
- Rent for 48h to view
- Buy Cloud Access for unlimited viewing via different devices
- Synchronizing in the ReadCube Cloud
- Printing and saving restrictions apply
Rental: USD 8.50
Cloud: USD 20.00
In the USA, approximately 26,000 adolescents and young adults (AYAs) aged 15-29 years are diagnosed with cancer every year. The cure rate among this population exceeds 80%, resulting in a growing number of AYA cancer survivors. AYA cancer survivors suffer from a wide range of long-term treatment-related toxicities that adversely affect quality of life and increase the risk of premature death. Therefore, it is important to recognize the unique medical needs of the AYA cancer survivors and develop a cost-effective and systemic approach to screen and prevent cancer treatment-related sequelae and the adverse health outcomes.
© 2014 S. Karger AG, Basel
- Bleyer A, Viny A, Barr R: Cancer in 15- to 29-year-olds by primary site. Oncologist 2006;11:590-601.
- Oeffinger KC, Tonorezos ES: The cancer is over, now what? Understanding risk, changing outcomes. Cancer 2011;117:2250-2257.
- Oeffinger KC, Mertens AC, Sklar CA, Kawashima T, Hudson MM, Meadows AT, Friedman DL, Marina N, Hobbie W, Kadan-Lottick NS, Schwartz CL, Leisenring W, Robison LL: Chronic health conditions in adult survivors of childhood cancer. N Engl J Med 2006;355:1572-1582.
- Mody R, Li S, Dover DC, Sallan S, Leisenring W, Oeffinger KC, Yasui Y, Robison LL, Neglia JP: Twenty-five-year follow-up among survivors of childhood acute lymphoblastic leukemia: a report from the Childhood Cancer Survivor Study. Blood 2008;111:5515-5523.
- Diller L, Chow EJ, Gurney JG, Hudson MM, Kadin-Lottick NS, Kawashima TI, Leisenring WM, Meacham LR, Mertens AC, Mulrooney DA, Oeffinger KC, Packer RJ, Robison LL, Sklar CA: Chronic disease in the Childhood Cancer Survivor Study cohort: a review of published findings. J Clin Oncol 2009;27:2339-2355.
- Mertens AC, Liu Q, Neglia JP, Wasilewski K, Leisenring W, Armstrong GT, Robison LL, Yasui Y: Cause-specific late mortality among 5-year survivors of childhood cancer: the Childhood Cancer Survivor Study. J Natl Cancer Inst 2008;100:1368-1379.
- Soliman H, Agresta SV: Current issues in adolescent and young adult cancer survivorship. Cancer Control 2008;15:55-62.
Curtis RE, Freedman DM, Ron E, Ries LAG, Hacker DG, Edwards BK, Tucker MA, Fraumeni JF Jr: New Malignancies among Cancer Survivors: SEER Cancer Registries, 1973-2000. Bethesda, National Cancer Institute, 2006.
- Swerdlow AJ, Barber JA, Hudson GV, Cunningham D, Gupta RK, Hancock BW, Horwich A, Lister TA, Linch DC: Risk of second malignancy after Hodgkin's disease in a collaborative British cohort: the relation to age at treatment. J Clin Oncol 2000;18:498-509.
- Olsen JH, Möller T, Anderson H, Langmark F, Sankila R, Tryggvadóttír L, Winther JF, Rechnitzer C, Jonmundsson G, Christensen J, Garwicz S: Lifelong cancer incidence in 47,697 patients treated for childhood cancer in the Nordic countries. J Natl Cancer Inst 2009;101:806-813.
- Neglia JP, Friedman DL, Yasui Y, Mertens AC, Hammond S, Stovall M, Donaldson SS, Meadows AT, Robison LL: Second malignant neoplasms in five-year survivors of childhood cancer: childhood cancer survivor study. J Natl Cancer Inst 2001;93:618-629.
- Jenkinson HC, Hawkins MM, Stiller CA, Winter DL, Marsden HB, Stevens MCG: Long-term population-based risks of second malignant neoplasms after childhood cancer in Britain. Br J Cancer 2004;91:1905-1910.
- Bhatia S, Sklar C: Second cancers in survivors of childhood cancer. Nat Rev Cancer 2002;2:124-132.
- Swerdlow AJ, Higgins CD, Smith P, Cunningham D, Hancock BW, Horwich A, Hoskin PJ, Lister TA, Radford JA, Rohatiner AZS, Linch DC: Second cancer risk after chemotherapy for Hodgkin's lymphoma: a collaborative British cohort study. J Clin Oncol 2011;29:4096-4104.
- Sankila R, Garwicz S, Olsen JH, Döllner H, Hertz H, Kreuger A, Langmark F, Lanning M, Möller T, Tulinius H: Risk of subsequent malignant neoplasms among 1,641 Hodgkin's disease patients diagnosed in childhood and adolescence: a population-based cohort study in the five Nordic countries. Association of the Nordic Cancer Registries and the Nordic Society of Pedia. J Clin Oncol 1996;14:1442-1446.
- Van Leeuwen FE, Klokman WJ, Veer MB, Hagenbeek A, Krol AD, Vetter UA, Schaapveld M, van Heerde P, Burgers JM, Somers R, Aleman BM: Long-term risk of second malignancy in survivors of Hodgkin's disease treated during adolescence or young adulthood. J Clin Oncol 2000;18:487-497.
- Dores GM, Metayer C, Curtis RE, Lynch CF, Clarke EA, Glimelius B, Storm H, Pukkala E, van Leeuwen FE, Holowaty EJ, Andersson M, Wiklund T, Joensuu T, van't Veer MB, Stovall M, Gospodarowicz M, Travis LB: Second malignant neoplasms among long-term survivors of Hodgkin's disease: a population-based evaluation over 25 years. J Clin Oncol 2002;20:3484-3494.
- Van Leeuwen FE, Klokman WJ, Stovall M, Dahler EC, van't Veer MB, Noordijk EM, Crommelin MA, Aleman BMP, Broeks A, Gospodarowicz M, Travis LB, Russell NS: Roles of radiation dose, chemotherapy, and hormonal factors in breast cancer following Hodgkin's disease. J Natl Cancer Inst 2003;95:971-980.
- Travis LB, Hill D, Dores GM, Gospodarowicz M, van Leeuwen FE, Holowaty E, Glimelius B, Andersson M, Pukkala E, Lynch CF, Pee D, Smith SA, van't Veer MB, Joensuu T, Storm H, Stovall M, Boice JD, Gilbert E, Gail MH: Cumulative absolute breast cancer risk for young women treated for Hodgkin lymphoma. J Natl Cancer Inst 2005;97:1428-1437.
- Von der Weid NX: Adult life after surviving lymphoma in childhood. Support Care Cancer 2008;16:339-345.
- Sklar C, Whitton J, Mertens A, Stovall M, Green D, Marina N, Greffe B, Wolden S, Robison L: Abnormalities of the thyroid in survivors of Hodgkin's disease: data from the Childhood Cancer Survivor Study. J Clin Endocrinol Metab 2000;85:3227-3232.
- Metayer C, Lynch CF, Clarke EA, Glimelius B, Storm H, Pukkala E, Joensuu T, van Leeuwen FE, van't Veer MB, Curtis RE, Holowaty EJ, Andersson M, Wiklund T, Gospodarowicz M, Travis LB: Second cancers among long-term survivors of Hodgkin's disease diagnosed in childhood and adolescence. J Clin Oncol 2000;18:2435-2443.
Bleyer A, O'Leary M, Barr R, Ries LAG (eds): Cancer Epidemiology in Older Adolescents and Young Adults 15 to 29 Years of Age, Including SEER Incidence and Survival: 1975-2000. Bethesda, National Cancer Institute, 2006, NIH Pub. No. 06-5767.
- Bluhm EC, Ronckers C, Hayashi RJ, Neglia JP, Mertens AC, Stovall M, Meadows AT, Mitby PA, Whitton JA, Hammond S, Barker JD, Donaldson SS, Robison LL, Inskip PD: Cause-specific mortality and second cancer incidence after non-Hodgkin lymphoma: a report from the Childhood Cancer Survivor Study. Blood 2008;111:4014-4021.
- Löning L, Zimmermann M, Reiter A, Kaatsch P, Henze G, Riehm H, Schrappe M: Secondary neoplasms subsequent to Berlin-Frankfurt-Münster therapy of acute lymphoblastic leukemia in childhood: significantly lower risk without cranial radiotherapy. Blood 2000;95:2770-2775.
- Perkins SM, Dewees T, Shinohara ET, Reddy MM, Frangoul H: Risk of subsequent malignancies in survivors of childhood leukemia. J Cancer Surviv 2013;7:544-550.
- Cerveri I, Zoia MC, Fulgoni P, Corsico A, Casali L, Tinelli C, Zecca M, Giorgiani G, Locatelli F: Late pulmonary sequelae after childhood bone marrow transplantation. Thorax 1999;54:131-135.
- Jenney ME, Faragher EB, Jones PH, Woodcock A: Lung function and exercise capacity in survivors of childhood leukaemia. Med Pediatr Oncol 1995;24:222-230.
- Marina NM, Greenwald CA, Fairclough DL, Thompson EI, Wilimas JA, Mackert PW, Hudson MM, Stokes DC, Bozeman PM: Serial pulmonary function studies in children treated for newly diagnosed Hodgkin's disease with mantle radiotherapy plus cycles of cyclophosphamide, vincristine, and procarbazine alternating with cycles of doxorubicin, bleomycin, vinblastine, and dacarbazine. Cancer 1995;75:1706-1711.
- Mertens AC, Yasui Y, Liu Y, Stovall M, Hutchinson R, Ginsberg J, Sklar C, Robison LL: Pulmonary complications in survivors of childhood and adolescent cancer. A report from the Childhood Cancer Survivor Study. Cancer 2002;95:2431-2441.
- Armstrong GT, Liu Q, Yasui Y, Neglia JP, Leisenring W, Robison LL, Mertens AC: Late mortality among 5-year survivors of childhood cancer: a summary from the Childhood Cancer Survivor Study. J Clin Oncol 2009;27:2328-2338.
- Griese M, Rampf U, Hofmann D, Führer M, Reinhardt D, Bender-Götze C: Pulmonary complications after bone marrow transplantation in children: twenty-four years of experience in a single pediatric center. Pediatr Pulmonol 2000;30:393-401.
- Horning SJ, Adhikari A, Rizk N, Hoppe RT, Olshen RA: Effect of treatment for Hodgkin's disease on pulmonary function: results of a prospective study. J Clin Oncol 1994;12:297-305.
- Mefferd JM, Donaldson SS, Link MP: Pediatric Hodgkin's disease: pulmonary, cardiac, and thyroid function following combined modality therapy. Int J Radiat Oncol Biol Phys 1989;16:679-685.
- Nysom K, Holm K, Hertz H, Hesse B: Risk factors for reduced pulmonary function after malignant lymphoma in childhood. Med Pediatr Oncol 1998;30:240-248.
- Morgan GW, Freeman AP, McLean RG, Jarvie BH, Giles RW: Late cardiac, thyroid, and pulmonary sequelae of mantle radiotherapy for Hodgkin's disease. Int J Radiat Oncol Biol Phys 1985;11:1925-1931.
- Eigen H, Wyszomierski D: Bleomycin lung injury in children. Pathophysiology and guidelines for management. Am J Pediatr Hematol Oncol 1985;7:71-78.
- Samuels ML, Johnson DE, Holoye PY, Lanzotti VJ: Large-dose bleomycin therapy and pulmonary toxicity. A possible role of prior radiotherapy. JAMA 1976;235:1117-1120.
- Jenney ME: Malignant disease and the lung. Paediatr Respir Rev 2000;1:279-286.
- Meyer S, Reinhard H, Gottschling S, Nunold H, Graf N: Pulmonary dysfunction in pediatric oncology patients. Pediatr Hematol Oncol 2004;21:175-195.
- O'Sullivan JM, Huddart RA, Norman AR, Nicholls J, Dearnaley DP, Horwich A: Predicting the risk of bleomycin lung toxicity in patients with germ-cell tumours. Ann Oncol 2003;14:91-96.
- Reulen RC, Winter DL, Frobisher C, Lancashire ER, Stiller CA, Jenney ME, Skinner R, Stevens MC, Hawkins MM: Long-term cause-specific mortality among survivors of childhood cancer. JAMA 2010;304:172-179.
- Hull MC, Morris CG, Pepine CJ, Mendenhall NP: Valvular dysfunction and carotid, subclavian, and coronary artery disease in survivors of Hodgkin lymphoma treated with radiation therapy. JAMA 2003;290:2831-2837.
- Aleman BMP, van den Belt-Dusebout AW, De Bruin ML, van't Veer MB, Baaijens MHA, de Boer JP, Hart AAM, Klokman WJ, Kuenen MA, Ouwens GM, Bartelink H, van Leeuwen FE: Late cardiotoxicity after treatment for Hodgkin lymphoma. Blood 2007;109:1878-1886.
- Mulrooney DA, Yeazel MW, Kawashima T, Mertens AC, Mitby P, Stovall M, Donaldson SS, Green DM, Sklar CA, Robison LL, Leisenring WM: Cardiac outcomes in a cohort of adult survivors of childhood and adolescent cancer: retrospective analysis of the Childhood Cancer Survivor Study cohort. BMJ 2009;339:b4606.
- Van der Pal HJ, van Dalen EC, van Delden E, van Dijk IW, Kok WE, Geskus RB, Sieswerda E, Oldenburger F, Koning CC, van Leeuwen FE, Caron HN, Kremer LC: High risk of symptomatic cardiac events in childhood cancer survivors. J Clin Oncol 2012;30:1429-1437.
- Lipshultz SE, Colan SD, Gelber RD, Perez-Atayde AR, Sallan SE, Sanders SP: Late cardiac effects of doxorubicin therapy for acute lymphoblastic leukemia in childhood. N Engl J Med 1991;324:808-815.
- Adams MJ, Lipshultz SE: Pathophysiology of anthracycline- and radiation-associated cardiomyopathies: implications for screening and prevention. Pediatr Blood Cancer 2005;44:600-606.
- Veinot JP, Edwards WD: Pathology of radiation-induced heart disease: a surgical and autopsy study of 27 cases. Hum Pathol 1996;27:766-773.
- Stewart FA, Heeneman S, Te Poele J, Kruse J, Russell NS, Gijbels M, Daemen M: Ionizing radiation accelerates the development of atherosclerotic lesions in ApoE-/- mice and predisposes to an inflammatory plaque phenotype prone to hemorrhage. Am J Pathol 2006;168:649-658.
- Steinherz LJ: Anthracycline-induced cardiotoxicity. Ann Intern Med 1997;126:827, author reply 827-828.
- Kremer LC, van Dalen EC, Offringa M, Ottenkamp J, Voûte PA: Anthracycline-induced clinical heart failure in a cohort of 607 children: long-term follow-up study. J Clin Oncol 2001;19:191-196.
- Steinherz LJ, Steinherz PG, Tan CT, Heller G, Murphy ML: Cardiac toxicity 4-20 years after completing anthracycline therapy. JAMA 1991;266:1672-1677.
- Lipshultz SE, Lipsitz SR, Sallan SE, Dalton VM, Mone SM, Gelber RD, Colan SD: Chronic progressive cardiac dysfunction years after doxorubicin therapy for childhood acute lymphoblastic leukemia. J Clin Oncol 2005;23:2629-2636.
- Kremer LCM, van der Pal HJH, Offringa M, van Dalen EC, Voûte PA: Frequency and risk factors of subclinical cardiotoxicity after anthracycline therapy in children: a systematic review. Ann Oncol 2002;13:819-829.
- Hancock SL, Tucker MA, Hoppe RT: Factors affecting late mortality from heart disease after treatment of Hodgkin's disease. JAMA 1993;270:1949-1955.
- Armstrong GT, Oeffinger KC, Chen Y, Kawashima T, Yasui Y, Leisenring W, Stovall M, Chow EJ, Sklar CA, Mulrooney DA, Mertens AC, Border W, Durand J-B, Robison LL, Meacham LR: Modifiable risk factors and major cardiac events among adult survivors of childhood cancer. J Clin Oncol 2013;31:3673-3680.
- Landier W, Bhatia S, Eshelman DA, Forte KJ, Sweeney T, Hester AL, Darling J, Armstrong FD, Blatt J, Constine LS, Freeman CR, Friedman DL, Green DM, Marina N, Meadows AT, Neglia JP, Oeffinger KC, Robison LL, Ruccione KS, Sklar CA, Hudson MM: Development of risk-based guidelines for pediatric cancer survivors: the Children's Oncology Group Long-Term Follow-Up Guidelines from the Children's Oncology Group Late Effects Committee and Nursing Discipline. J Clin Oncol 2004;22:4979-4990.
- Campbell LK, Scaduto M, Sharp W, Dufton L, Van Slyke D, Whitlock JA, Compas B: A meta-analysis of the neurocognitive sequelae of treatment for childhood acute lymphocytic leukemia. Pediatr Blood Cancer 2007;49:65-73.
- Von der Weid N: Late effects in long-term survivors of ALL in childhood: experiences from the SPOG late effects study. Swiss Med Wkly 2001;131:180-187.
- Buizer AI, de Sonneville LMJ, Veerman AJP: Effects of chemotherapy on neurocognitive function in children with acute lymphoblastic leukemia: a critical review of the literature. Pediatr Blood Cancer 2009;52:447-454.
- De Bruin ML, Dorresteijn LDA, van't Veer MB, Krol ADG, van der Pal HJ, Kappelle AC, Boogerd W, Aleman BMP, van Leeuwen FE: Increased risk of stroke and transient ischemic attack in 5-year survivors of Hodgkin lymphoma. J Natl Cancer Inst 2009;101:928-937.
- Bowers DC, Liu Y, Leisenring W, McNeil E, Stovall M, Gurney JG, Robison LL, Packer RJ, Oeffinger KC: Late-occurring stroke among long-term survivors of childhood leukemia and brain tumors: a report from the Childhood Cancer Survivor Study. J Clin Oncol 2006;24:5277-5282.
- Jain P, Gulati S, Seth R, Bakhshi S, Toteja GS, Pandey RM: Vincristine-induced neuropathy in childhood ALL (acute lymphoblastic leukemia) survivors: prevalence and electrophysiological characteristics. J Child Neurol 2013, Epub ahead of print.
- Zebrack BJ, Zeltzer LK, Whitton J, Mertens AC, Odom L, Berkow R, Robison LL: Psychological outcomes in long-term survivors of childhood leukemia, Hodgkin's disease, and non-Hodgkin's lymphoma: a report from the Childhood Cancer Survivor Study. Pediatrics 2002;110:42-52.
- Green DM, Cox CL, Zhu L, Krull KR, Srivastava DK, Stovall M, Nolan VG, Ness KK, Donaldson SS, Oeffinger KC, Meacham LR, Sklar CA, Armstrong GT, Robison LL: Risk factors for obesity in adult survivors of childhood cancer: a report from the Childhood Cancer Survivor Study. J Clin Oncol 2012;30:246-255.
- Fulbright JM, Raman S, McClellan WS, August KJ: Late effects of childhood leukemia therapy. Curr Hematol Malig Rep 2011;6:195-205.
- Chemaitilly W, Sklar CA: Endocrine complications in long-term survivors of childhood cancers. Endocr Relat Cancer 2010;17:R141-R159.
- Oeffinger KC, Mertens AC, Hudson MM, Gurney JG, Casillas J, Chen H, Whitton J, Yeazel M, Yasui Y, Robison LL: Health care of young adult survivors of childhood cancer: a report from the Childhood Cancer Survivor Study. Ann Fam Med 2004;2:61-70.
- Darzy KH: Radiation-induced hypopituitarism after cancer therapy: who, how and when to test. Nat Clin Pract Endocrinol Metab 2009;5:88-99.
- Littley MD, Shalet SM, Beardwell CG, Robinson EL, Sutton ML: Radiation-induced hypopituitarism is dose-dependent. Clin Endocrinol (Oxf) 1989;31:363-373.
- Littley MD, Shalet SM, Beardwell CG, Ahmed SR, Applegate G, Sutton ML: Hypopituitarism following external radiotherapy for pituitary tumours in adults. Q J Med 1989;70:145-160.
- Brennan BM, Rahim A, Mackie EM, Eden OB, Shalet SM: Growth hormone status in adults treated for acute lymphoblastic leukaemia in childhood. Clin Endocrinol (Oxf) 1998;48:777-783.
- Chow EJ, Friedman DL, Stovall M, Yasui Y, Whitton JA, Robison LL, Sklar CA: Risk of thyroid dysfunction and subsequent thyroid cancer among survivors of acute lymphoblastic leukemia: a report from the Childhood Cancer Survivor Study. Pediatr Blood Cancer 2009;53:432-437.
- Bhatti P, Veiga LHS, Ronckers CM, Sigurdson AJ, Stovall M, Smith SA, Weathers R, Leisenring W, Mertens AC, Hammond S, Friedman DL, Neglia JP, Meadows AT, Donaldson SS, Sklar CA, Robison LL, Inskip PD: Risk of second primary thyroid cancer after radiotherapy for a childhood cancer in a large cohort study: an update from the childhood cancer survivor study. Radiat Res 2010;174:741-752.
- Hancock SL, McDougall IR, Constine LS: Thyroid abnormalities after therapeutic external radiation. Int J Radiat Oncol Biol Phys 1995;31:1165-1170.
- Oeffinger KC, Eshelman DA, Tomlinson GE, Buchanan GR: Programs for adult survivors of childhood cancer. J Clin Oncol 1998;16:2864-2867.
- Tabone MD, Sommelet D: Childhood cancer surviving (in French). Arch Pediatr 2006;13:607-609.
- Shaw AK, Pogany L, Speechley KN, Maunsell E, Barrera M, Mery LS: Use of health care services by survivors of childhood and adolescent cancer in Canada. Cancer 2006;106:1829-1837.
- Nathan PC, Daugherty CK, Wroblewski KE, Kigin ML, Stewart TV, Hlubocky FJ, Grunfeld E, Del Giudice ME, Ward LA, Galliher JM, Oeffinger KC, Henderson TO: Family physician preferences and knowledge gaps regarding the care of adolescent and young adult survivors of childhood cancer. J Cancer Surviv 2013;7:275-282.
- Oeffinger KC, Ford JS, Moskowitz CS, Diller LR, Hudson MM, Chou JF, Smith SM, Mertens AC, Henderson TO, Friedman DL, Leisenring WM, Robison LL: Breast cancer surveillance practices among women previously treated with chest radiation for a childhood cancer. JAMA 2009;301:404-414.
- Oeffinger KC, Hudson MM, Mertens AC, Smith SM, Mitby PA, Eshelman-Kent DA, Ford JS, Jones JK, Kamani S, Robison LL: Increasing rates of breast cancer and cardiac surveillance among high-risk survivors of childhood Hodgkin lymphoma following a mailed, one-page survivorship care plan. Pediatr Blood Cancer 2011;56:818-824.
Article / Publication Details
Copyright / Drug Dosage / DisclaimerCopyright: All rights reserved. No part of this publication may be translated into other languages, reproduced or utilized in any form or by any means, electronic or mechanical, including photocopying, recording, microcopying, or by any information storage and retrieval system, without permission in writing from the publisher.
Drug Dosage: The authors and the publisher have exerted every effort to ensure that drug selection and dosage set forth in this text are in accord with current recommendations and practice at the time of publication. However, in view of ongoing research, changes in government regulations, and the constant flow of information relating to drug therapy and drug reactions, the reader is urged to check the package insert for each drug for any changes in indications and dosage and for added warnings and precautions. This is particularly important when the recommended agent is a new and/or infrequently employed drug.
Disclaimer: The statements, opinions and data contained in this publication are solely those of the individual authors and contributors and not of the publishers and the editor(s). The appearance of advertisements or/and product references in the publication is not a warranty, endorsement, or approval of the products or services advertised or of their effectiveness, quality or safety. The publisher and the editor(s) disclaim responsibility for any injury to persons or property resulting from any ideas, methods, instructions or products referred to in the content or advertisements.