Instant Reocclusion following Mechanical Thrombectomy of in situ Thromboocclusion and the Role of Low-Dose Intra-Arterial TirofibanKang D.-H.a, c · Kim Y.-W.a, b · Hwang Y.-H.b · Park S.-P.b · Kim Y.-S.a · Baik S.K.d
Departments of aRadiology, bNeurology and cNeurosurgery, Kyungpook National University Hospital, Daegu, and dDepartment of Radiology, Pusan National University Yangsan Hospital, Pusan, Republic of Korea
Do you have an account?
- Rent for 48h to view
- Buy Cloud Access for unlimited viewing via different devices
- Synchronizing in the ReadCube Cloud
- Printing and saving restrictions apply
Rental: USD 8.50
Cloud: USD 20.00
Article / Publication Details
Background: An in situ thromboocclusion (IST) is defined as an infarct extensively involving all or most of a stenosed arterial territory, which is one major stroke mechanism related to intracranial atherosclerosis (ICAS). We focused on ISTs occurring in major cerebral arteries and analyzed their rate of instant reocclusion during mechanical thrombectomy (MT) compared with non-ISTs. Also, we introduced a treatment strategy of low-dose intra-arterial tirofiban administration to prevent such reocclusion following repeat recanalization, and evaluated its safety and efficacy. Methods: We analyzed 168 consecutive patients treated with MT over a 2-year period from May 2011 to April 2013. During MT, if angiography following a successful recanalization showed stenosis at the occlusion site, we performed additional angiographic runs every 10 min for 30 min after the recanalization. Then, if angiography revealed reocclusion, we performed a repeat recanalization, using the same MT technique but additionally followed by low-dose intra-arterial tirofiban infusion. Time-of-flight MR angiography or CT angiography was performed to confirm any underlying ICAS at the occlusion site 5-7 days after the procedure. The patients who had confirmed underlying ICAS were included in the IST cohort. Results: Of 168 enrolled patients, we excluded 36 who could not be checked for underlying ICAS at the occlusion site for one of the following reasons: recanalization failure (n = 11), rescue stenting after tirofiban failure (n = 5) and lack of follow-up vascular imaging (n = 20). The incidence of IST was 30.3% (40/132). All IST patients were confirmed to have underlying ICAS by follow-up vascular imaging. Instant reocclusion after successful recanalization was significantly more frequent in the IST cohort [26/40 (65%) vs. 3/92 (3.3%); p < 0.001]. Regarding the efficacy of low-dose intra-arterial tirofiban infusion, 85.7% of the reocclusion patients finally achieved a thrombolysis in cerebral infarction score 2/3 recanalization, but in the remaining 14.3% of the cases, the condition was refractory to the procedure and required rescue stenting. There were no cases of symptomatic intracranial hemorrhage following the procedure. Conclusions: In situ thromboocclusion was characterized by a significantly higher chance of instant reocclusion during MT. In such cases, low-dose intra-arterial tirofiban administration may be effective and safe. However, future confirmation by prospective multicenter trials seems necessary.
© 2014 S. Karger AG, Basel
Article / Publication Details
Copyright / Drug Dosage / DisclaimerCopyright: All rights reserved. No part of this publication may be translated into other languages, reproduced or utilized in any form or by any means, electronic or mechanical, including photocopying, recording, microcopying, or by any information storage and retrieval system, without permission in writing from the publisher.
Drug Dosage: The authors and the publisher have exerted every effort to ensure that drug selection and dosage set forth in this text are in accord with current recommendations and practice at the time of publication. However, in view of ongoing research, changes in government regulations, and the constant flow of information relating to drug therapy and drug reactions, the reader is urged to check the package insert for each drug for any changes in indications and dosage and for added warnings and precautions. This is particularly important when the recommended agent is a new and/or infrequently employed drug.
Disclaimer: The statements, opinions and data contained in this publication are solely those of the individual authors and contributors and not of the publishers and the editor(s). The appearance of advertisements or/and product references in the publication is not a warranty, endorsement, or approval of the products or services advertised or of their effectiveness, quality or safety. The publisher and the editor(s) disclaim responsibility for any injury to persons or property resulting from any ideas, methods, instructions or products referred to in the content or advertisements.