Complex Cases in Pediatric CataractPatil-Chhablani P.a · Kekunnaya R.a · Nischal K.K.b
aL V Prasad Eye Institute, Hyderabad, India; bChildren's Hospital of Pittsburgh of UPMC, Pittsburgh, Pa., USA
Do you have an account?
- Rent for 48h to view
- Buy Cloud Access for unlimited viewing via different devices
- Synchronizing in the ReadCube Cloud
- Printing and saving restrictions apply
Rental: USD 8.50
Cloud: USD 20.00
This chapter describes the techniques and pitfalls that the reader may come across when dealing with complex pediatric cataract cases. Each eye in these circumstances is unique, and the examples and general advice shared are intended to help the reader develop a plan for surgery and a road map to avoid potential problems. As in all types of surgery, careful planning is essential. The old saying ‘Fail to prepare, then you prepare to fail' is no more true than when dealing with children who have complex cataract. In this chapter, the following circumstances where pediatric cataract may be seen are discussed: retinoblastoma, retinopathy of prematurity, lenticonus, congenital rubella syndrome, trauma, microcornea, pediatric uveitis, Hallermann-Streiff syndrome, Stickler syndrome, Lowe syndrome, subluxated lens, and after previous intraocular surgery (glaucoma, keratoplasty).
© 2016 S. Karger AG, Basel
- Hasan SJ, Brooks M, Ambati J, Kielar R, Stevens JL: Retinoblastoma with cataract and ectopia lentis. J AAPOS 2003;7:425-427.
- Portellos M, Buckley EG: Cataract surgery and intraocular lens implantation in patients with retinoblastoma. Arch Ophthalmol 1998;116:449-452.
- Payne JF, Hutchinson AK, Hubbard GB 3rd, Lambert SR: Outcomes of cataract surgery following radiation treatment for retinoblastoma. J AAPOS 2009;13:454-458 e453.
- Brooks HL Jr, Meyer D, Shields JA, Balas AG, Nelson LB, Fontanesi J: Removal of radiation-induced cataracts in patients treated for retinoblastoma. Arch Ophthalmol 1990;108:1701-1708.
- Davitt BV, Christiansen SP, Hardy RJ, Tung B, Good WV; Early Treatment for Retinopathy of Prematurity Cooperative Group: Incidence of cataract development by 6 months' corrected age in the early treatment for retinopathy of prematurity study. J AAPOS 2013;17:49-53.
- Yu YS, Kim SJ, Chang BL: Cataract surgery in children with and without retinopathy of prematurity. J Cataract Refract Surg 2004;30:89-94.
- Junk AK, Stefani FH, Ludwig K: Bilateral anterior lenticonus: Scheimpflug imaging system documentation and ultrastructural confirmation of alport syndrome in the lens capsule. Arch Ophthalmol 2000;118:895-897.
- Seymenoglu G, Baser EF: Ocular manifestations and surgical results in patients with alport syndrome. J Cataract Refract Surg 2009;35:1302-1306.
- Gupta A, Ramesh Babu K, Srinivasan R, Mohanty D: Clear lens extraction in alport syndrome with combined anterior and posterior lenticonus or ruptured anterior lens capsule. J Cataract Refract Surg 2011;37:2075-2078.
- Vedantham V, Rajagopal J, Ratnagiri PK: Bilateral simultaneous anterior and posterior lenticonus in alport's syndrome. Indian J Ophthalmol 2005;53:212-213.
- Kalyanasundaram TS, Bearn MA: Surgical identification of posterior lenticonus. J Cataract Refract Surg 2002;28:1069-1070.
- Khalil M, Saheb N: Posterior lenticonus. Ophthalmology 1984;91:1429-1430, 1443A.
- Lee BJ, Kim JH, Yu YS: Surgical outcomes after intraocular lens implantation for posterior lenticonus-related cataract according to preoperative lens status. J Cataract Refract Surg 2014;40:217-223.
- Eckstein M, Vijayalakshmi P, Killedar M, Gilbert C, Foster A: Aetiology of childhood cataract in south India. Br J Ophthalmol 1996;80:628-632.
- Vijayalakshmi P, Srivastava KK, Poornima B, Nirmalan P: Visual outcome of cataract surgery in children with congenital rubella syndrome. J AAPOS 2003;7:91-95.
- Shah SK, Praveen MR, Vasavada AR, Vasavada VA, Carelli R, Trivedi RH, Rasoebala V: Long-term longitudinal assessment of postoperative outcomes after congenital cataract surgery in children with congenital rubella syndrome. J Cataract Refract Surg 2014;40:2091-2098.
- Jyoti M, Shirke S, Matalia H: Congenital rubella syndrome: Global issue. J Cataract Refract Surg 2015;41:1127.
- Mian SI, Azar DT, Colby K: Management of traumatic cataracts. Int Ophthalmol Clin 2002;42:23-31.
- Kucukevcilioglu M, Hurmeric V, Ceylan OM: Preoperative detection of posterior capsule tear with ultrasound biomicroscopy in traumatic cataract. J Cataract Refract Surg 2013;39:289-291.
- Asadi R, Kheirkhah A: Long-term results of scleral fixation of posterior chamber intraocular lenses in children. Ophthalmology 2008;115:67-72.
- Kumar DA, Agarwal A, Prakash D, Prakash G, Jacob S, Agarwal A: Glued intrascleral fixation of posterior chamber intraocular lens in children. Am J Ophthalmol 2012;153:594-601, 601.e1-2.
- Filous A, Osmera J, Hlozanek M, Mahelkova G: Central corneal thickness in microphthalmic eyes with or without history of congenital cataract surgery. Eur J Ophthalmol 2011;21:374-378.
- Wallace DK, Plager DA: Corneal diameter in childhood aphakic glaucoma. J Pediatr Ophthalmol Strabismus 1996;33:230-234.
- Nishina S, Noda E, Azuma N: Outcome of early surgery for bilateral congenital cataracts in eyes with microcornea. Am J Ophthalmol 2007;144:276-280.
- Angeles-Han S, Yeh S: Prevention and management of cataracts in children with juvenile idiopathic arthritis-associated uveitis. Curr Rheumatol Rep 2012;14:142-149.
- Quinones K, Cervantes-Castaneda RA, Hynes AY, Daoud YJ, Foster CS: Outcomes of cataract surgery in children with chronic uveitis. J Cataract Refract Surg 2009;35:725-731.
- BenEzra D, Cohen E: Cataract surgery in children with chronic uveitis. Ophthalmology 2000;107:1255-1260.
- Terrada C, Julian K, Cassoux N, Prieur AM, Debre M, Quartier P, LeHoang P, Bodaghi B: Cataract surgery with primary intraocular lens implantation in children with uveitis: Long-term outcomes. J Cataract Refract Surg 2011;37:1977-1983.
- Alio JL, Chipont E, BenEzra D, Fakhry MA; International Ocular Inflammation Society, Study Group of Uveitic Cataract Surgery: Comparative performance of intraocular lenses in eyes with cataract and uveitis. J Cataract Refract Surg 2002;28:2096-2108.
- Trumler AA: Evaluation of pediatric cataracts and systemic disorders. Curr Opin Ophthalmol 2011;22:365-379.
- Cohen MM Jr: Hallermann-Streiff syndrome: a review. Am J Med Genet 1991;41:488-499.
- Schanzlin DJ, Goldberg DB, Brown SI: Hallermann-Streiff syndrome associated with sclerocornea, aniridia, and a chromosomal abnormality. Am J Ophthalmol 1980;90:411-415.
- Cho WK, Park JW, Park MR: Surgical correction of hallermann-streiff syndrome: A case report of esotropia, entropion, and blepharoptosis. Korean J Ophthalmol 2011;25:142-145.
- Marc C, Guigou S, Boulicot C, Denis D: Bilateral retinal detachment in Hallermann-Streiff-Francois syndrome: a case report (in French). J Fr Ophtalmol 2011;34:118-121.
Robin NH, Moran RT, Ala-Kokko L: Stickler syndrome; in Pagon RA, Adam MP, Ardinger HH, Wallace SE, Amemiya A, Bean LJH, Bird TD, Fong CT, Mefford HC, Smith RJH, Stephens K (eds): GeneReviews. Seattle, University of Washington, 1993.
- Edwards AO: Clinical features of the congenital vitreoretinopathies. Eye (Lond) 2008;22:1233-1242.
Loi M: Lowe syndrome. Orphanet J Rare Dis 2006;1:16.
- Ang A, Poulson AV, Goodburn SF, Richards AJ, Scott JD, Snead MP: Retinal detachment and prophylaxis in type 1 stickler syndrome. Ophthalmology 2008;115:164-168.
- Kruger SJ, Wilson ME Jr, Hutchinson AK, Peterseim MM, Bartholomew LR, Saunders RA: Cataracts and glaucoma in patients with oculocerebrorenal syndrome. Arch Ophthalmol 2003;121:1234-1237.
- Dureau P: Pathophysiology of zonular diseases. Curr Opin Ophthalmol 2008;19:27-30.
- Neely DE, Plager DA: Management of ectopia lentis in children. Ophthalmol Clin North Am 2001;14:493-499.
- Vasavada V, Vasavada VA, Hoffman RO, Spencer TS, Kumar RV, Crandall AS: Intraoperative performance and postoperative outcomes of endocapsular ring implantation in pediatric eyes. J Cataract Refract Surg 2008;34:1499-1508.
- Shah R, Weikert MP, Grannis C, Hamill MB, Kong L, Yen KG: Long term outcomes of iris-sutured posterior chamber intraocular lenses in children. Am J Ophthalmol 2016;161:44-49.e1.
- Xue K, Hildebrand GD: Retropupillary Artisan intraocular lens implantation in very young children with aphakia following penetrating eye injuries. J AAPOS 2013;17:428-431.
- Sminia ML, Odenthal MT, Prick LJ, Cobben JM, Mourits MP, Völker-Dieben HJ: Long-term follow-up after bilateral Artisan aphakia intraocular lens implantation in two children with Marfan syndrome. J AAPOS 2012;16:92-94.
- Odenthal MT, Sminia ML, Prick LJ, Gortzak-Moorstein N, Völker-Dieben HJ: Long-term follow-up of the corneal endothelium after artisan lens implantation for unilateral traumatic and unilateral congenital cataract in children: two case series. Cornea 2006;25:1173-1177.
- Sukhija J, Kaur S, Pandav SS, Kaushik S, Raj S, Ram J: Pediatric cataract surgery in buphthalmos. Eur J Ophthalmol 2015;25:260-262.
- Husain R, Liang S, Foster PJ, Gazzard G, Bunce C, Chew PT, Oen FT, Khaw PT, Seah SK, Aung T: Cataract surgery after trabeculectomy: The effect on trabeculectomy function. Arch Ophthalmol 2012;130:165-170.
- Ahfat FG, Yuen CH, Groenewald CP: Phacoemulsification and intraocular lens implantation following pars plana vitrectomy: a prospective study. Eye (Lond) 2003;17:16-20.
- Price MO, Price DA, Fairchild KM, Price FW Jr: Rate and risk factors for cataract formation and extraction after descemet stripping endothelial keratoplasty. Br J Ophthalmol 2010;94:1468-1471.
- Cole CJ, Charteris DG: Cataract extraction after retinal detachment repair by vitrectomy: visual outcome and complications. Eye (Lond) 2009;23:1377-1381.
- Martin TP, Reed JW, Legault C, Oberfeld SM, Jacoby BG, Yu DD, Dickens A, Johnson HP: Cataract formation and cataract extraction after penetrating keratoplasty. Ophthalmology 1994;101:113-119.
- Nagra PK, Rapuano CJ, Laibson PL, Kunimoto DY, Kay M, Cohen EJ: Cataract extraction following penetrating keratoplasty. Cornea 2004;23:377-379.
Article / Publication Details
Copyright / Drug Dosage / DisclaimerCopyright: All rights reserved. No part of this publication may be translated into other languages, reproduced or utilized in any form or by any means, electronic or mechanical, including photocopying, recording, microcopying, or by any information storage and retrieval system, without permission in writing from the publisher.
Drug Dosage: The authors and the publisher have exerted every effort to ensure that drug selection and dosage set forth in this text are in accord with current recommendations and practice at the time of publication. However, in view of ongoing research, changes in government regulations, and the constant flow of information relating to drug therapy and drug reactions, the reader is urged to check the package insert for each drug for any changes in indications and dosage and for added warnings and precautions. This is particularly important when the recommended agent is a new and/or infrequently employed drug.
Disclaimer: The statements, opinions and data contained in this publication are solely those of the individual authors and contributors and not of the publishers and the editor(s). The appearance of advertisements or/and product references in the publication is not a warranty, endorsement, or approval of the products or services advertised or of their effectiveness, quality or safety. The publisher and the editor(s) disclaim responsibility for any injury to persons or property resulting from any ideas, methods, instructions or products referred to in the content or advertisements.